Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wow, nice Paramount

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wow, nice Paramount

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 07:16 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 2,251 Times in 990 Posts
Originally Posted by EjustE
So if the real paramounts (including the one for sale) were stopped being made in Chicago in 1980, the Paramounts that Waterford made were not "real"
Well, I'd like to just go ahead and post a picture of my "unreal" 1983 Paramount made in Waterford, WI. I guess it's just a forgery?

...also some Schwinn employees (who actually had nothing to do with Paramount) bought the factory and started Waterford that as Waterford made Paramounts for one single year...
Saying Schwinn employees, which included Richard Schwinn, who bought the Waterford Schwinn plant, "had nothing to do with Paramount," is like saying the Pope has nothing to do with Roman Catholicism.

Re-read the history. Schwinn moved Paramount production from Chicago after 1979 to Waterford, where in 1981 they began making the next generation of Paramounts. Paramounts continued to be made through 1994. Waterford tried to buy the Paramount name, but Schwinn would not sell it.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 10-28-09, 07:25 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 477 Times in 359 Posts
Regardless of what the masters say, I like this frame, both as an expertly restored piece of US cycling history (pre-bike boom!) and the foundation of what could be a terrific rider. The Waterford link-up in the ebay ad was a little gratuitous, but I'm not going to let that detract from my respect for the guy who bought the bike or my enjoyment of the bike.
Old 10-28-09, 07:35 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2450 Post(s)
Liked 4,492 Times in 2,128 Posts
Schwinn Paramount:

Schwinn Paramount:

Schwinn Paramount:

Schwinn Paramount:

NOT Schwinn Paramounts:

-Kurt

Old 10-28-09, 07:43 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Well, I'd like to just go ahead and post a picture of my "unreal" 1983 Paramount made in Waterford, WI. I guess it's just a forgery?
not in my book (nice Gators btw)... but apparently in that particular seller's book...

Don't shoot the messenger here, but my understanding is that several people around here apparently know the guy and this has become somewhat personal. My point was that according to "Bob" (or whatever the seller's name is) no real Paramount was made after they left Chicago (read that description again).

C'est la vie...

Again, I am still waiting for that frame to sell for a grand, if it is that precious... There should be several takers around here lining up for it, it appears, unless words are just that and do not translate into action...
Old 10-28-09, 07:43 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Kurt, you are too funny!

Old 10-28-09, 07:48 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Saying Schwinn employees, which included Richard Schwinn, who bought the Waterford Schwinn plant, "had nothing to do with Paramount," is like saying the Pope has nothing to do with Roman Catholicism.

Re-read the history. Schwinn moved Paramount production from Chicago after 1979 to Waterford, where in 1981 they began making the next generation of Paramounts. Paramounts continued to be made through 1994. Waterford tried to buy the Paramount name, but Schwinn would not sell it.
Hmmm....

tell me again where did Richard Schwinn work before he bought the Paramount Plant (and for how long) and which bikes did his plant produce?

Thanks.

E

Last edited by EjustE; 10-28-09 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 08:01 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

not in my book (nice Gators btw)... but apparently in that particular seller's book...

Don't shoot the messenger here, but my understanding is that several people around here apparently know the guy and this has become somewhat personal. My point was that according to "Bob" (or whatever the seller's name is) no real Paramount was made after they left Chicago (read that description again).

C'est la vie...
Here's another decal on my 1983 unreal Paramount. Is it just a forgery? And what do you mean by "nice Gators?"

Here are the seller's own words:

Originally Posted by ebay seller bobbiker
This frame has been professionally restored by Waterford Cycles, who made the last real Paramounts for Schwinn as the Paramount Design Group in the early 80s, with correct decals, blue and white box lining, and lug lining, and is in near perfect condition.
Certainly he looses points for "in the early 80s." Maybe he meant to type "early 90s"? If so he was referring to the Match and Serotta built Paramounts of the late '90s as "not real" because by that point the Schwinn family no longer owned Schwinn.

Hmmm....

tell me again where did Richard Schwinn work before he bought the Paramount Plant (and for how long) and which bikes did his plant produced?

Thanks.

E
Maybe scooper or others can be more specific about where Richard worked, but I believe he worked in the Chicago facility until they moved Paramount to Waterford, and then he moved up there to assist in the production and management.

So, are you implying he is a Schwinn employee who had nothing to do with Paramounts?

Old 10-28-09, 08:20 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

And what do you mean by "nice Gators?"
the tires...

Certainly he looses points for "in the early 80s." Maybe he meant to type "early 90s"? If so he was referring to the Match and Serotta built Paramounts of the late '90s as "not real" because by that point the Schwinn family no longer owned Schwinn.
beats me... I am just the messenger of a flaky attempt to connect that bike with Waterford. A restoration done at a competitor of a bike restoration shop where he (apparently) is a half-owner (IMHO all Paramounts are real...)

Maybe scooper or others can be more specific about where Richard worked, but I believe he worked in the Chicago facility until they moved Paramount to Waterford, and then he moved up there to assist in the production and management.

So, are you implying he is a Schwinn employee who had nothing to do with Paramounts?
That was a rhetorical question. He was out for a while then headed their Greenville, MS plant before he bought the Waterford plant. Here is an interesting interview of him:

https://www.terrybicycles.com/weblog/...d_schwinn.html

and this is not meant to "put down Schwinns". In many places, even here, I have said that they are one of the best values in the vintage market. Heck, I am a proud owner of one (1987 Super Sport).
Old 10-28-09, 08:26 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Bikes: Waterford 953 RS-22, several Paramounts

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 59 Posts
Richard Schwinn managed the Greenville, MS, plant for several years until it closed in the early nineties.

Edward Schwinn, Jr., Richard's older brother, shut down Paramount production at the Chicago plant in 1979 because the Paramounts then being produced were not using the latest technology. Ed Jr. picked Marc Muller to build and staff a new design and production facility in Waterford, Wisconsin. Marc and the Paramount Design Group began building the Paramounts in Waterford using Henry James investment cast lugs and offering a choice of tubing in late 1980 or early 1981.

When Schwinn declared bankruptcy in late 1992 and the company was purchased from the bankruptcy court in early 1993 by Zell-Chillmark Fund and Scott Sports Group, the new owners wanted the Paramount name, but not the Waterford PDG facility. Marc Muller and Richard Schwinn partnered to purchase the Waterford facility from the bankruptcy court, named their company Waterford Precision Cycles, and continued to build Paramounts for the new Schwinn owners under contract until late 1994, when the new owners put the Paramount "to sleep" until 1998 when Schwinn contracted with Match Cycles to build lugged Reynolds 853 steel Paramounts, and with Ben Serotta to build Ti Paramounts.

Richard Schwinn and Marc Muller are still owners/partners in Waterford Precision Cycles today, and just built the 70th anniversary lugged Reynolds 953 steel Paramounts for Schwinn.

my bikes

Science doesn't care what you believe.
Old 10-28-09, 08:34 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Stan,

In your estimation, before the subcontract to build Paramounts in '93/'94, how many Paramounts did Richard Schwinn (or a team under his leadership) built in his lifetime? Easy multiple choice:

a. 0
b. <15
c. 100
d. 1000

thanks for an honest answer in that previous post...

E
Old 10-28-09, 08:44 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Stan,

In your estimation, before the subcontract to build Paramounts in '93/'94, how many Paramounts did Richard Schwinn (or a team under his leadership) built in his lifetime?
How many Colnago Masters did Ernesto Colnago build?
How many Benotto 3000's did Giacinto Benotto build?
How many Masis did Faliero Masi build?
Are Confente-built Masis fake?

Is a Basso a Basso if one of Basso's framebuiders was named D'Arienzo?
Is a D'Arienzo a Basso if D'Arienzo built it in the Basso factory for Basso?
If D'Arienzos were made by Basso by D'Arienzo for Gary Silva, are they fake?

Is the party of the first part really the party of the first part?
Is the party of the second part really the party of the second part?
Or is the second part of the first party the first part of the second party?
Are bicycles the meaning of life?
Is life the meaning of bicycles?
Is the first part of the bicycle the second part of life, or is the second part of life the first part of the bicycle?

Does Basso care?
What about Basso's mother in law?

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 10-28-09 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 08:47 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Stan,

In your estimation, before the subcontract to build Paramounts in '93/'94, how many Paramounts did Richard Schwinn (or a team under his leadership) built in his lifetime? Easy multiple choice:

a. 0
b. <15
c. 100
d. 1000

thanks for an honest answer in that previous post...

E
a., although he had worked at the Chicago plant in various capacities since he began interning there during the summers while he was going to college, and had learned the business from sweeping floors to managing production at Greenville over the years.

my bikes

Old 10-28-09, 08:54 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Kurt,

methinks you are missing my point... and the point here is a quasi-dishonest ebay seller trying to make a connection between the "real" (his words) Paramounts and Richard Schwinn's Waterford establishment.

There is not a blasting connection (esp. for a darn frame set built in the 50s and supposed restored by a competitor of the seller's restoring company in the 21st century).

That's all I am saying... (other that the usefulness of such a frameset in the 21st century as far as paying $1000 for it, and let's keep that as a different discussion) and it is about this particular frameset and this particular auction and buyer be aware based on (over) statements made...

Last edited by EjustE; 10-28-09 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 09:03 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

I'll concede that the seller is a little mixed up when it comes to Schwinn history, but I'd pay $1000 in a heartbeat for that frameset if it were a 24 inch frame.

In the mid-fifties, I believe Schwinn offered Paramounts in a choice of Accles & Pollack tubing or Reynolds 531 (both seamless drawn double-butted tubing), so I don't think the "Chrome Molybdenum" decal is correct (although I could be mistaken).

my bikes

Last edited by Scooper; 10-28-09 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Added 1954 catalog page
Old 10-28-09, 10:10 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Another real Paramount (and an excuse to post a photo...

Old 10-28-09, 10:28 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 2,643 Times in 1,104 Posts
Yes, pastorbob, it is a terrible, nasty, bad-bad-bad forgery and you should divest yourself of its evil influence immediately. I am here to help you cast off this sinful abomination. Send it to me and I will make sure it gets the fate it deserves. No need to thank me, I'm happy to help . . .

It's getting a little thick in here. Maybe we should all take a deep breath and sing a rousing chorus of "Kumbayah."
Old 10-28-09, 10:46 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
Drool, drool, drool.

-Kurt

Old 10-28-09, 10:51 PM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Drool, drool, drool...

my bikes

Old 10-29-09, 04:27 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by bikingshearer
Yes, pastorbob, it is a terrible, nasty, bad-bad-bad forgery and you should divest yourself of its evil influence immediately. I am here to help you cast off this sinful abomination. Send it to me and I will make sure it gets the fate it deserves. No need to thank me, I'm happy to help . . .

It's getting a little thick in here. Maybe we should all take a deep breath and sing a rousing chorus of "Kumbayah."
I certainly am glad we are separated by mountains, rivers, plains, deserts, more mountains, SF Bay, and a few thousand miles. Hopefully this will keep my unreal Paramount safe!

Amen to the second part of your post!

And add my drool to the puddle. I've always said "Jonny was very good" to receive such a treasure, especially at the fantastic price he paid. Too bad it's now discovered it to be a an unreal Paramount like so many others which we were duped into saving.

I've read and re-read the seller's description and I don't see anything dishonest, misleading, or blatantly fake, except "...Waterford Cycles, who made the last real Paramounts for Schwinn as the Paramount Design Group in the early 80s...."

I'll give the seller the benefit of the doubt that he meant to type "early 90s," or he was mixed up about the decade the 3rd generation of Paramounts ceased to be made.

Just because Richard Schwinn did not come on the scene at Waterford until the early '90s, does not make the Paramounts made there from 1981 until the "early '90s" less then Paramounts.

Here is a Waterford restored antique track Paramount from their site. Looks a great deal like the restoration done to the seller's '50s touring model.

https://www.waterfordbikes.com/site/r...nt_antique.php

Old 10-29-09, 06:51 AM
Sierra
Uff Da!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 91 Posts
Add more drool to the growing pond.

That's a drop dead gorgeous bike!

I can't get the smiley symbols to attach to my posts, but envision a big thumbs up.
Old 10-29-09, 07:51 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Just because Richard Schwinn did not come on the scene at Waterford until the early '90s, does not make the Paramounts made there from 1981 until the "early '90s" less then Paramounts.
That's another thing - is a Don Mainland-built second-generation Paramount not a Paramount?

-Kurt

Old 10-29-09, 08:07 AM
Scooper
Decrepit Member

Originally Posted by cudak888
That's another thing - is a Don Mainland-built second-generation Paramount not a Paramount?

-Kurt
Hell yes it is!

The whole notion that a Paramount had to be built in the Chicago cage to be considered a "real" Paramount in complete nonsense. Heck, most of the Paramounts built from 1938 until well into the fifties were built in Emil and Oscar Wastyn's shop.

my bikes

Old 10-29-09, 08:35 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by Scooper
Hell yes it is!

The whole notion that a Paramount had to be built in the Chicago cage to be considered a "real" Paramount in complete nonsense. Heck, most of the Paramounts built from 1938 until well into the fifties were built in Emil and Oscar Wastyn's shop.
Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner!

-Kurt

Old 10-29-09, 08:50 AM
DARTHVADER
the darkness

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kurt,

methinks you are missing my point... and the point here is a quasi-dishonest ebay seller trying to make a connection between the "real" (his words) Paramounts and Richard Schwinn's Waterford establishment.

There is not a blasting connection (esp. for a darn frame set built in the 50s and supposed restored by a competitor of the seller's restoring company in the 21st century).

That's all I am saying... (other that the usefulness of such a frameset in the 21st century as far as paying $1000 for it, and let's keep that as a different discussion) and it is about this particular frameset and this particular auction and buyer be aware based on (over) statements made...
i think the point the selller was trying to make was...having a paramount refinished by waterford is about as close as you can get to having a factory restoration. if i were getting a paramount restored, waterford is where i would have it done. he's not trying to say this a waterford built paramount.

elliot bay does restorations it appears, but i'm sure they don't care much about competition from any other restoration shops and i wouldn't call them restoration shop. i think they do just fine with all the bill davidson frames coming out of that place...
i'm pretty sure they don't mention anything about restorations on their website. most of the work is probably stuff the seller of this frame has them do as he seems to be a huge bike collector judging by the bikes on his flickr page and all the vintage bikes he has hanging in the shop.
Old 10-29-09, 11:16 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 26 Posts
From the Elliott Bay site:

"We build custom titanium and steel road, mountain, touring, track, and tandem frames. In addition, we offer custom paint, frame repairs, restorations and more. "

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.