Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Useful Roadie Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-05, 12:57 PM
Phatman

Liked 108 Times in 60 Posts
I can pick up a bottle, but theres like a certain speed that I have to be going, like 8-10 mph. any slower and I fall over, any faster, and I miss the bottle. one thing that makes it easier is being in the drops, at least in my experieince.
Old 02-15-05, 01:03 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedal
Hmmm...I wonder if women would have an advantage over us on this one? In every other situation in the world, it is always easier for a man to take a pee, but perhaps women could do this one easier.
Huh?
Old 02-15-05, 01:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Liked 3,111 Times in 1,418 Posts
I learned how to replace the chain on the ring trick this summer. Got pretty good at it and then it finally occurred to me that I ought to adjust the FD limit screw.

Duh.
Old 03-22-05, 02:25 PM
Chops83

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I learned how to replace the chain on the ring trick this summer. Got pretty good at it and then it finally occurred to me that I ought to adjust the FD limit screw.

Duh.
How do you do this? i've tried but not been successful on doing it while stayin on the bike.
Old 03-22-05, 03:08 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
A couple of usefull tricks come to mind

Learning to push other riders around with your helmet is a very usefull and effective technique (equally effective at the helmet, shoulder or hip).

Try riding up next to a training partner and pushing them on the hip, you will find that you can move them with just a finger and very light pressure.

Working on various parts of your bike while racing, eg Rear Derailure (yes I have seen this done!), Brakes, comes in handy.

Learning to make a "Flat Tire" noise can be very entertaining. In a similar category with "Clicking" your brake lever in time with the cadence of the rider ahead of you.
Old 03-22-05, 06:37 PM
fight or flight

Bikes: '59 Chrome Carlton track, '04 Bianchi Giro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
omfg mean.
Old 03-22-05, 07:49 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Voodoo, that's devious!
Kinda like the guy who screams "My front fork is cracked!" and then attacks when everyone slows down to give him space.

Or Sean Kelly who used to scrape a pop can on the ground to make the sound of a crash.

I'd hate to ride in front of YOU! ha ha ha
Old 03-23-05, 12:24 AM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pjbaz
I never tried for the water bottle or sharpie but did save myself a fall when I couldn't get unclipped at a light. I leaned it over put my hand on the ground and shoved as hard as I could manage to right myself...off I went.

I'm not going to lie, I was amazed by the whole thing and probably couldn't do it again though.

PJ
I am in awe!
It would have been funny if a car had been behind you at the time, and they thought that was how you handled every red light!

Last edited by HigherGround; 03-23-05 at 12:25 AM. Reason: extra comment
Old 03-23-05, 12:39 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Can you do the important tricks such as...
1. picking up a water bottle off the ground at 20 miles per hour? Useful in a feed zone.
Well, since I don't race I've never felt the need to pick a water bottle up from the ground at 20MPH. when I did race, it was in MTBing and that kind of situation would never really present itself. However, I have tried to do goofy things like take pictures from hub-level. Given that I can accomplish that, I don't think it'd be too much a stretch to reach for a bottle.

Old 03-23-05, 08:11 AM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Voodoo has obviously raced with the big boys.

On many occasions, I saw Nelson Vails use his head to push someone out of the paceline.
And I saw Leonard Nitz do a hip sling in Greektown.

Ah, them were da days.
Old 03-23-05, 09:14 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Nothin wrong with a descrete little sling among team mates Sorry i started to digress into the dark side, I'll keep the "dirty" tricks to myself. Some usefull tricks;

Practice riding leaning shoulder to shoulder w a teammate. Can be a lifesaver when you find yourself in a tight space and you can relax and ride thru it. Another great thing to practice on grass.

Learn what it feels like to get both your front and rear wheels clipped. Again on grass. Anyone familiar with Chop?

Learning to pass items to other riders, eg Bottles, food, ect. Need to be able to use either hand. A helpull hint, put your other hand right next to the stem. It seems to me that those of us who grew up with downtube shifters are better at this.
Old 03-23-05, 08:29 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
Well, since I don't race I've never felt the need to pick a water bottle up from the ground at 20MPH. when I did race, it was in MTBing and that kind of situation would never really present itself. However, I have tried to do goofy things like take pictures from hub-level. Given that I can accomplish that, I don't think it'd be too much a stretch to reach for a bottle.

Pics of girls > pics of men
Old 03-23-05, 10:46 PM
Gustaf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76
A couple of usefull tricks come to mind

Learning to push other riders around with your helmet is a very usefull and effective technique (equally effective at the helmet, shoulder or hip).

Try riding up next to a training partner and pushing them on the hip, you will find that you can move them with just a finger and very light pressure.
I do this all the time in races. not to bump someone out of the way, but its such a more direct and effective way of letting somone know you are about to slide up past them than saying "hey (insert rider #, team name)"
Old 03-25-05, 07:57 AM
Trev Doyle
Hamburger Pimp

Bikes: BMC SLT O1 Team Full Record, Kuips SuperNova Ultegra & DuraAce, Rocky Mountain Team Scandium full XTR w sids & dope parts, Guerciotti Khaybar Full Record.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeOxfordCT
Well I can pick up a water bottle off the ground on my mountain bike while riding on the grass. I started practicing it because I read it somewhere that it was a way to develop bike handling skills. Like riding rollers or anything else it takes some practice but it's not too hard.

As you ride up to the bottle you actually have to lean the bike away from the side that the bottle is on so that the weight of the bike leaning right counters your body leaning left....sort of like counter stearing in turns
If you try it make sure you practice picking up the bottle with both hands. You'll find you'll be naturally better with one hand over the other.
I'm sure you could do this on a road bike on the road but I would think that pavement would be harder because the water bottle would slide away if you didn't grab it just right.
I picked up a bottle in a XC race a few years ago. I was out of water with about 30-40 minutes to go. a guy a few riders ahead of me dropped his bottle but kept going. So I thought what the hell and scooped it up. Wasn't hard but the guy behind me impressed. And it was a pretty full bottle too!
Old 03-25-05, 10:10 AM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And it was filled with his herpes-of-the-mouth back wash.... Kidding... I hope....
Old 03-25-05, 10:42 AM
slider
Bike Junkie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chops83
How do you do this? i've tried but not been successful on doing it while stayin on the bike.
All you have to do is shift upshift with the front deraiileur and pedal lightly. There really isn't any skill involved.

-s