Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried the Magicshine 900 lumen?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Has anyone tried the Magicshine 900 lumen?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 06:46 PM
RapidRobert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The daytime application is a very good point, and I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll have to consider that for a bit. Thanks!

The breakdance session is another great point. I admit to using it while riding behind the Happening Couch at the San Jose Bike Party, while they pumped out trance tunes. Very convenient to cover it with my fingers, hit the button to make it strobe, then let it go at just the right time when the music kicked in again. For that, I wish I could tune the frequency. Cut it when we stopped at red lights because there it was just annoying.
Old 11-02-09, 06:54 PM
RapidRobert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmclaughlin807
That's it. I'm ordering a second MagicShine and I'm going to start wearing my helmet.

The second MagicShine will always be on 'Seizure Mode' and will be mounted solidly on my helmet.
THAT's the rock-n-roll spirit!!!
Old 11-02-09, 08:29 PM
Patriot
Faith-Vigilance-Service

Bikes: Trinity, Paradisus, Centurion, Mongoose, Trek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In my case, I went ahead and built my own custom lights with R2, and MC-E LED's, ofr my Ebike. I think I'll be getting the Maj-Shn P7 next for my commuter.
Old 11-02-09, 08:32 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I just got a couple more lightheads from Geoman. I actually kind of like the 30 hz strobe. It's fast enough that it's not really a strobe anymore, it's just attention getting without being as irritating as the 3hz strobe.

I had to laugh at the SOS mode that flashes 3 short, 4 long, 3 short, 4 long though.
Old 11-02-09, 10:20 PM
Mr. Underbridge

Bikes: 2003 Giant OCR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I had to laugh at the SOS mode that flashes 3 short, 4 long, 3 short, 4 long though.
I'm glad that wasn't just me. Thought I was forgetting how to count.

Forgiving its shortcomings (Morse code failure, less robust build compared to other manufacturers), that's a whole lot of light for a little money. Just had my maiden voyage with it, and it completely washed out the Dinotte 200L on my helmet. I'm gonna have to drop the MS down to medium for off-roading so it doesn't kill my night vision.
Old 11-03-09, 01:10 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RapidRobert
Blinking red on the taillight I totally support! Flashing lights in front has always meant "emergency" untill LED bike headlight marketers started adding it as a "feature". This Magicshine headlight, as good and bright as it is, certainly doesn't need to strobe to be seen by drivers.
Most people fortunately enough do not have magic shines, or at least magic shine type brightness lights on flashing. The majority of the commuters I see today have low powered LED lights that retail for $20-$30 at MEC.

They are totally inconspicuous on anything other than flashing. I believe that they've been around long enough that motorists are conditioned to know that flashing white front = cyclist. Just as a flashing red rear = cyclist.
Old 11-03-09, 01:35 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I only use flashing fronts in the daylight.
+1

I've found that a strobing helmet light does wonders for my visibility, especially in heavy city traffic. I'd never use one at night.
Old 11-03-09, 07:45 AM
fiataccompli
Steel Member

Bikes: N + 1

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got mine yesterday evening. Didn't have time or energy to try it out for a ride, but it's got 3 steady light settings + the fast strobe (I agree with the comment above..seems actually useful) + the "sos". I'm looking forward to trying this sucker out! Nicer spread of light than my Task Force flashlight headlights....haven't done a side-by-side in the dark, though....but I know what I'll find. What are folks using the loops on the battery bag for? Seems like an ill-thought Velcro strap tab? maybe a place to buckle into one of the straps of a pannier bag?
Old 11-03-09, 07:46 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Underbridge
less robust build compared to other manufacturers
The only other "real" bike light I've had is a Dinotte 200L, though I've seen a MiNewt USB on someone else's bike. Compared to those, I'm not sure that the MS is any less robust. The only thing I would personally like improved upon is that the battery isn't really waterproof; I'd pay another $10 for a battery with a proper, sealed plastic box around it, but I can deal with that myself.

As for the cables and lighthead itself, I don't think that any extra durability is called for. Certainly you can always make anything more durable, but it's not necessary.

It's certainly more durable than the Dinotte 200L AA version. Those AA battery holders, and that crappy 9v clip are ridiculous. I've had the holders fail on me multiple times; luckily Radio Shack is there with $1.50 replacements.

A good swivel mount would be nice. But that's a "nice" feature, not durability.
Old 11-03-09, 12:43 PM
popsicleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered mine today--I'm excited to finally have a real light. I decided to pull the trigger after a standoff with a deer on my way home last night--I barely saw it in time to stop.

The website let me place an order, but it also said that they wouldn't release any more for sale until after they got the next shipment. Does anyone know if I'll have to wait for the next shipment before they send my light out?
Old 11-03-09, 01:12 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by popsicleian
I just ordered mine today--I'm excited to finally have a real light. I decided to pull the trigger after a standoff with a deer on my way home last night--I barely saw it in time to stop.

The website let me place an order, but it also said that they wouldn't release any more for sale until after they got the next shipment. Does anyone know if I'll have to wait for the next shipment before they send my light out?
he's out. He'll have more in a couple of days, so, yes, you have to wait 2-4 days for it to ship. Was it really a confusing email?

Also, not going to be a problem seeing the deer in the future, unless he lays an ambush for you.
Old 11-03-09, 01:13 PM
buzzbee

Bikes: 33yr old mtn bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ordered one for Geo on 10/21, the Geo web site status then said "processing"...
On 10/28, the Geo web site said that a shipment just came in.
It shipped from Geo on 10/29, I got an email notification.
I received the light yesterday, 11/2.
So the process worked well for me so far. It seems once Geo gets the units, they get shipped quickly.

I ran the light last night, it's bright on high... it seems to me like 2X to 3X more light than a Fenix L2D on turbo. I charged the batteries up overnight, they were not fully charged when I received it, which is fine.
Overall looks good.
Old 11-03-09, 01:20 PM
popsicleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kudude
he's out. He'll have more in a couple of days, so, yes, you have to wait 2-4 days for it to ship. Was it really a confusing email?

Also, not going to be a problem seeing the deer in the future, unless he lays an ambush for you.
The confirmation email didn't say anything about it being out of stock, that's why I was confused. It's not a big deal, I don't mind waiting a couple of days.

I'm not too worried about a deer ambush. Squirrels, on the other hand...
Old 11-03-09, 03:23 PM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are people using the Magicshine light on their road/race bikes?

I'm looking for a bright headlight that will let me ride in darkness early/late. I'd like to have something as sleek as possible, which makes me lean a bit towards using just a flash light mounted to the bars. However, a battery pack isn't the end of the world, plus it will be dark out so no one will see my sexy road bike all burdened down

*And while I don't love the idea of a battery pack, I'll take a good light that let's me ride over the sexier lighting option.
Old 11-03-09, 06:07 PM
OBXCycling.com
vB4.0 for whiter whites

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nayr497
Are people using the Magicshine light on their road/race bikes?

I'm looking for a bright headlight that will let me ride in darkness early/late. I'd like to have something as sleek as possible, which makes me lean a bit towards using just a flash light mounted to the bars. However, a battery pack isn't the end of the world, plus it will be dark out so no one will see my sexy road bike all burdened down

*And while I don't love the idea of a battery pack, I'll take a good light that let's me ride over the sexier lighting option.
The light itself is pretty sleek. You just need to hide the battery somewhere.
My setup:
https://www.bikeforums.net/showpost.p...&postcount=384
Old 11-03-09, 06:34 PM
popsicleian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I guess they do have some in stock after all--just got an email that my order has shipped. Can't wait!
Old 11-03-09, 07:33 PM
nayr497

Bikes: How'd I get this many?

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OBXCycling.com
My setup:
Cool setup.

Are people with them just mounting them and leaving them on all the time?

Are you using them mainly to see in dark conditions in early morning/night?

Or, are you using them to see in the dark + be seen by cars in daylight?

I was thinking I'd use it for mainly low light conditions, possibly use and LED flasher that is smaller/self-container for daytime notice-ability.
Old 11-03-09, 07:53 PM
kudude
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OBXCycling.com
My setup:
is the cord going through a hole in the seatbag?
Old 11-04-09, 03:41 AM
OBXCycling.com
vB4.0 for whiter whites

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool setup.

I was thinking I'd use it for mainly low light conditions, possibly use and LED flasher that is smaller/self-container for daytime notice-ability.
I pretty much only ride in the dark so it's on when I ride. I leave it on after dawn as well.
The plug is right behind my setapost so I can unplug it and charge it. I don't plug it back in until I am ready to ride again.

Originally Posted by kudude
is the cord going through a hole in the seatbag?
Yup...pretty ghetto, huh?

It's almost directly behind the seatpost so it's pretty well hidden.
Old 11-04-09, 11:19 AM
jefferee
Que CERA, CERA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool setup.

I have a CX bike, and have the battery pack hanging from the top tube, just ahead of the seat tube. Easy to remove for charging (the bike lives in the garden shed, with no easy access to electricity). I could probably get a cleaner-looking install if I would put the battery under the stem, but have to work around the computer that sits right above it.
Old 11-05-09, 12:38 PM
bmunroe
Getting back into it.

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant ATX 770

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just got mine yesterday and went out for a night ride. Completely exceeded my expectations. I had been using a NiteRider MiNewt up until this point and wanted to see the difference side-by-side. I was blown away. No contest. I don't know what the MiNewt is rated at, so I'm not saying it was a fair comparison; simply that the difference between the two was astonishing. As for my ride experience; it was sooo much nicer. I went from constantly feeling tense about how quickly debris seemed to appear in the road with the MiNewt, to feeling totally relaxed. I realize that one can never let their guard down when riding on city streets, but this made the whole experience so much safer and more enjoyable. Kudos to GeoMan and whoever makes this powerful little light!

P.S. It shipped with the light w/ short cord attached, extension, charger, two rubber o-rings, battery pack, instruction sheet, and invoice. Very nice!
Old 11-05-09, 12:57 PM
nwmtnbkr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I broke down and ordered a Magic Shine as part of my winterizing. It arrived today and I must say that the build quality looks good. It packs quite the punch for a small unit, aren't LEDs wonderful. I was hoping that I could remove the mounting bracket from one of my current lights so that I could slide the Magic Shine off and on. I was pleased to find out that I could. With this bracket installed, I can simply slide the Magic Shine onto the mounting hardware on the handlebars, when pushed all the way in you hear a click to confirm it's locked in place (you press a lever to release it when you want to remove the light). I won't be testing it on a night ride tonight--we're to have rain and snow and I don't care to get chilled since I'm just getting over a touch of the flu. However, I will go out into the garage/shop and see how well the Magic Shine lights up the room where my bike's parked. I may actually order a second Magic Shine head and a Y cord. Best of all, I have a water proof bag on my handlebars that I can put the battery in so I don't need to run the extension cord that came with the kit.
Old 11-05-09, 01:11 PM
gholt

Bikes: 2004 Giant OCR, 2002 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2008 Trek 6500 Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, the battery pack needs to be in a waterproof bag of some sort or it will short out?
Old 11-05-09, 01:13 PM
ews

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe this is a really stupid question, but how are the folks that mounted the battery pack charging their batteries? Do people like OBX park their bikes so close to an electrical outlet that you don't need to remove the battery from the bike to charge it? (Confused by your post 11/4 5:41 post)

My bike is stored in the basement and I'd like to bring the battery pack upstairs to charge. Seems like any sort of permanent battery mount is pointless if I need to attach and re-attach every few days.
Old 11-05-09, 02:07 PM
josephjhaney

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ews
Maybe this is a really stupid question, but how are the folks that mounted the battery pack charging their batteries? Do people like OBX park their bikes so close to an electrical outlet that you don't need to remove the battery from the bike to charge it? (Confused by your post 11/4 5:41 post)

My bike is stored in the basement and I'd like to bring the battery pack upstairs to charge. Seems like any sort of permanent battery mount is pointless if I need to attach and re-attach every few days.
I have a powerstrip on the bike rack just so I don't have to remove the battery to charge every night.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.