Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Light Laws

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 04:29 PM
Square & Compas
Banned.

Bikes: Vision R40 Recumbent

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Light Laws

For some reason Iowa's light law when it comes to bicycles is a light on the front that has to be seen form a certain distance by others, but only a reflector is required for the rear. There is nothing that says the light on the front has to have the ability to effectivley light up what is in front of the bike enough for the rider to see.

I am not looking to change this. If I announced I was I'm sure I'd be pounced on by others here like they pounce on people when it comes to helmet laws.

What I would like to know is does this make sense to you? Doesn't using a flashing rear red light make you easier to be seen, thus make it safer for you to ride at night? Do you think using a light vs. reflector is a personal choice like with a helmet vs. not wearing one? Do you think using a light vs. reflector makes riding at night safer?

For the record I use 5, yes I said 5, red flashing tail lights when I ride at night.
Old 11-06-09, 04:38 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Bikes: 1972 Columbia Tourist Expert III, Columbia Roadster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I personally think lights should be mandatory. However, I would note that having a reflector on the back of a bike, but requiring a headlight makes a lot of sense.

Having a head light makes you visible to cross traffic. If somebody is coming off of a cross street, and planning to go across the intersection, or turn right - a front reflector is useless, because their headlights will not be pointing toward you. Which means they will not see you coming.

On the other hand, a rear reflector will be reflecting light anytime somebody is behind (assuming they have their lights on). If somebody makes a right turn onto the street behind you, their lights will reflect off of your reflector. If somebody is crossing the intersection, you're already passed - it's a lot different than if they can't see you coming.

So having a headlight is extremely important, a taillight is better than just a reflector, but I feel the need for the a headlight is even greater.
Old 11-06-09, 04:52 PM
Speedo

Bikes: Univega Gran Turismo, Guerciotti, Bridgestone MB2, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Serotta Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Square & Compas
For some reason Iowa's light law when it comes to bicycles is a light on the front that has to be seen form a certain distance by others, but only a reflector is required for the rear. There is nothing that says the light on the front has to have the ability to effectivley light up what is in front of the bike enough for the rider to see.
I think that's just about exactly what the Massachusetts Law is, and it's probably a good compromise. The lights/reflectors are all about being seen rather than being able to see. That being said, I completely agree with you that more is better. The law is a minimum requirement. Being lit up like a UFO is the way to go.

I only have two blinkies a reflector and reflective tape in back. I'm feeling some blinky envy about your five!

Speedo
Old 11-06-09, 05:03 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
While I would certainly recommend the use of rear lights in addition to reflectors, I don't think the law needs to be changed. The technical reasons why reflectors are more effective on the back of the bike than on the front. And even though I think adding rear lights is safer, the danger is primarily to the rider and therefore the decision should be his to make. OTOH, a cyclist without a front light could easily run into a pedestrian and cause injury, therefore the law mandating front lights is justified.

I'd also be opposed to adding more lighting requirements since I think they'd just be adding to the laws we already have that are rarely enforced. In California, in addition to the front light and rear reflector we also have requirements for pedal and side reflectors, yet many cyclists have no lights or reflectors at all and there seems to be minimal enforcement.
Old 11-06-09, 05:09 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Same law in Michigan. Front light, 500 feet visibility required, rear reflector, 100 to 600 feet visibility with low beams pointing at it, red light optional.

Personally, I think rear lights AND reflectors should be required. Lights work in situations where reflectors don't, but reflectors work without batteries.

I have a Magicshine up front, a Dinotte and a Superflash in the back, a 4" DOT truck reflector and about 8 feet of white reflective tape all over the frame, and I wear a reflective vest, so I think I'm covered.

I'm thinking about picking up a NiteRider Cherry Bomb, putting that on my helmet, then putting my two Superflashes on the seat post angled out at close to 90 degrees, with the Dinotte pointing straight back. In addition to reflectors.
Old 11-06-09, 05:46 PM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Colorado's law is pretty much similar. I think its quite common to require a headlight in the front and reflector in the rear.
Old 11-06-09, 06:08 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I am not looking to change this. If I announced I was I'm sure I'd be pounced on by others here like they pounce on people when it comes to helmet laws.

What I would like to know is does this make sense to you? Doesn't using a flashing rear red light make you easier to be seen, thus make it safer for you to ride at night? Do you think using a light vs. reflector is a personal choice like with a helmet vs. not wearing one? Do you think using a light vs. reflector makes riding at night safer?

For the record I use 5, yes I said 5, red flashing tail lights when I ride at night.
For bicycle lighting though, some places require a rear reflector, some require a rear light, for example in Ontario Canada, we have this:

Lights and reflectors on bicycles, etc.

(17) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor-assisted bicycle and bicycle (other than a unicycle) shall carry a lighted lamp displaying a white or amber light on its front and a lighted lamp displaying a red light or a reflector approved by the Ministry on its rear, and in addition white reflective material shall be placed on its front forks, and red reflective material covering a surface of not less than 250 millimetres in length and 25 millimetres in width shall be place on its rear. 2009, c. 5, s. 28 (1).

I'll admit, I have the lights, but other then a wheel reflector, I don't have the reflective material.
Old 11-06-09, 06:49 PM
kendall

Bikes: too many

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is common. The reason there is no 'illumination' requirement (as in being able to read a newspaper at 20ft) is that for cycling speeds there is no chance of overrunning your light, so even running balls out you can see where you are going. A car can easily go fast enough that by the time you see something in the lights, you don't have enough time to react. (if it takes you one second to react to something you see, at 20mph you have one second to react to something you see 30ft ahead, at 50 mph you need to see something at around 80 ft away to react in the same second.)

The important thing is that a driver can see your light, simply because a point source of light can be seen much farther away than that same light can illuminate.

Ken.

Edit: visibility requirements mean how far away the light can be seen from, not how far you can see using that light. The coast guard requires 2 mile visibility for anchor lights, that requirement would be prohibitive on boats, (and require a light that could travel 4 miles, from source to illuminated object, and back to source)

Last edited by kendall; 11-06-09 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 07:01 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For some reason Iowa's light law when it comes to bicycles is a light on the front that has to be seen for. . . .For the record I use 5, yes I said 5, red flashing tail lights when I ride at night.
Feel free to draft me at any time!
Old 11-06-09, 07:13 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
The laws (headlight in front, reflector in rear) set a minimum standard. Most cyclist who ride at night and care about their visibility realize the minimum is too little.

I have mixed feelings about increasing the minimum - more important at this point is getting better compliance to it.
Old 11-06-09, 07:22 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Most state bicycle laws read very much the same.

When the standard law was written that most states picked up on, there were NO nice little red blinky bicycle lights that you could go out and buy. Therefore the reflector. The white headlight selection was limited, but they were available, and most only provided enough light to be seen.

By the way, one or two of your rear lights should be on steady mode. Blinky lights make it much harder for a motorist to judge the distance they are from you.
Old 11-06-09, 07:26 PM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Personally, I think it should be criminal to sell a bike to anyone over 16 without lighting. Since we can't depend on people asking for years in a coma, I'ld also require reflective sidewalls on all tires sold in USA.

If we argue a bike is a vehicle, then it should have similar vehicle laws. At night: headlight, tail light and side clearance lights.

I know some will disagree, so I'll stop now, but simply make up your minds: are bike vehicles or toys. Your answer to that question will direct your answer to this question
Old 11-06-09, 07:35 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver
Personally, I think it should be criminal to sell a bike to anyone over 16 without lighting.
It would be criminal to have me pay for lights I won't use too. Well 'criminal' may be a bit over the top.
Old 11-06-09, 07:39 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

I think the real effort is getting folks to comply to the existing lighting laws. Having greater requirements will only dilute that and lead to more harassment style stop for those who are mostly complying vs. the many who don't at all. It will also lead to more legal issues for those who were intending to comply after an incident where the other party involved was at fault independent of the lighting the cyclist was using.

Get to the point where I can go out at night and see at least half of cyclists with front lights or a reflector of any kind I may start to change my mind.

Having greater equipment requirements is not going to get more cyclists to at least get a marginal front blinky and a rear reflector let alone an adequate front and rear light.
Old 11-06-09, 07:42 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Personally, I think it should be criminal to sell a bike to anyone over 16 without lighting. Since we can't depend on people asking for years in a coma, I'ld also require reflective sidewalls on all tires sold in USA.

If we argue a bike is a vehicle, then it should have similar vehicle laws. At night: headlight, tail light and side clearance lights.

I know some will disagree, so I'll stop now, but simply make up your minds: are bike vehicles or toys. Your answer to that question will direct your answer to this question
Yey for nannie state!
Also I don't see why I should pay for some "lights" that barely meet some low "standard" that I will never use. As for reflective side walls. I sure wouldn't want to ride on them. I don't think their grip on the corners is as good as on regular tires. There is a reason why some higher end tries come only come in black...

UD
Old 11-06-09, 07:42 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Why stop there, require side extentions to have turn signals, and 200 pound suspension systems, do not forget the ABS braking system (maybe even consider air brakes just like the big boy trucks have, include bumpers and a front crumple zone, seat belts and air bags. So what else should we add to make some of us feel secure in not being toys?
Old 11-06-09, 07:47 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by noisebeam
It would be criminal to have me pay for lights I won't use too. Well 'criminal' may be a bit over the top.
I think you should be required to buy a $500 Nightrider light just like I use, otherwise, your not a "real" cyclist like me and are just on a toy!
Old 11-06-09, 07:53 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Most bikes are never ridden at night. And if you sold them with lights, the batteries would never get replaced and they'd be useless anyway.
People who are going to use and maintain lights will buy them. The rest, even if you gave them lights, they'd either throw them away or not keep them running anyway.
Reflectors make sense; at least they don't need maintenance to keep running.
Old 11-06-09, 07:59 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
I think you should be required to buy a $500 Nightrider light just like I use, otherwise, your not a "real" cyclist like me and are just on a toy!
I only have Dinnote 200L, and Cateye Optic light, with Magicshine on the way. My road bike and commuter bikes are toys I guess.
Old 11-06-09, 08:41 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
One day when I rode in to work, one of my co-workers pointed to my flashing lights and said I couldn't run them since I wasn't driving an emergency vehicle. I later searched the Illinois vehicle code and found that red lights facing forward are prohibited, as are flashing lights on most motor vehicles, but couldn't find anything specifically prohibiting flashing front or rear lights on bicycles. Does this mean they are always allowed?
Old 11-06-09, 09:46 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Personally, I think it should be criminal to sell a bike to anyone over 16 without lighting. Since we can't depend on people asking for years in a coma, I'd also require reflective sidewalls on all tires sold in USA.

What about bikes sold for racing? Should they be required to be sold with a light set and reflectors, etc.?
Old 11-06-09, 11:04 PM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
What about bikes sold for racing? Should they be required to be sold with a light set and reflectors, etc.?
Are they racing at night?
Old 11-07-09, 01:57 AM
tallard
Your scars reveal you

Bikes: My Brodie's dead, start hunting for a new cycle before March arrives

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lights are fine, but, we have got to stop trying to MANDATORY everything on cycles. The point should be to not only encourage cycling, but to encourage low tech cycling. All forms of cycling can be done safely without all the extra "mandatory" gear, whether it be lights, bells, mirrors, helmets. For every extra "mandatory" item, there is a drop in number of cyclists and a phenomenon of "habitual non compliance" or "habitual criminality". This is a phenomenon observed with very young offenders. If they experience legal backlash for behavior at a young age, instead of acting as a deterrent, the legal actions act as habituation, leaving the person in a constant state of assessment of self as criminal, increasing innapropriate benavior even more. An excess of unnecesrary laws onto cyclists has a similar effect in that the masses get used to not complying to any rules since there are too many, and so no safety gets achieved anyway.

At the very basic end of law making, laws are there to protect us from dangers, cycling is simply not dangerous, and to me NO laws that impede cycling in ANY way are desirable. Motorised vehicles are inherently dangerous, and they need as many laws as needed to impede their murderous ways.

The trick to have more people cycling is to have cycling be easier, safer (meaning less car induced deaths, instead of contentment with less percentage of skull scratches), cheaper (vs more gadgets to purchase), and more accessibility.

Rear lights are often an invisible joke! I suspect that 80% of rear lights sold are useless anyway.

I did use a red laser beam as self defense last year though, amazingly, the annoying little red beam stopped several uncoming motorists from cutting me off. I'd carry the key laser around my neck and as soon as I saw someone about to cut me off (night riding in SE Florida), I'd point the beam at their windshield and they stop immediately. Loved it!

Last edited by tallard; 11-07-09 at 02:53 AM.
Old 11-07-09, 02:20 AM
Bent Ben
Wheel Builder

Bikes: Bents, mountain bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tallard
Lights are fine, but, we have got to stop trying to MANDATORY everything on cycles. The point should be to not only encourage cycling, but to encourage low tech cycling. All forms of cycling can be done safely without all the extra "mandatory" gear, whether it be lights, bells, mirrors, helmets. For every extra "mandatory" item, there is a drop in number of cyclists and a phenomenon of "habitual non compliance" or "habitual criminality". This is a phenomenon observed with very young offenders. If they experience legal backlash for behavior at a young age, instead of acting as a deterrent, it the legal actions act as habituation, leaving the person in a constant state of assessment of self is criminal, reducing innapropriate benavior even more. An excess of unnecesrary laws onto cyclists has a similar effect in that the masses get used to not complying to any rules since there are too many, and so no safety gets achieved anyway.

At the very basic end of law making, laws are there to protect us from dangers, cycling is simply not dangerous, and to me NO laws that impede cycling in ANY way are desirable. Motorised vehicles are inherently dangerous, and they need as many laws as needed to impede their murderous ways.

The trick to have more people cycling is to have cycling be easier, safer (meaning less car induced deaths, instead of contentment with less percentage of skull scratches), cheaper (vs more gadgets to purchase), and more accessibility.

Rear lights are often an invisible joke! I suspect that 80% of rear lights sold are useless anyway.

I did use a red laser beam as self defense last year though, amazingly, the annoying little red beam stopped several uncoming motorists from cutting me off. I'd carry the key laser around my neck and as soon as I saw someone about to cut me off (night riding in SE Florida), I'd point the beam at their windshield and they stop immediately. Loved it!
Old 11-07-09, 10:21 AM
Mos6502
Elitest Murray Owner

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tallard
Lights are fine, but, we have got to stop trying to MANDATORY everything on cycles. The point should be to not only encourage cycling, but to encourage low tech cycling. All forms of cycling can be done safely without all the extra "mandatory" gear, whether it be lights, bells, mirrors, helmets. For every extra "mandatory" item, there is a drop in number of cyclists and a phenomenon of "habitual non compliance" or "habitual criminality". This is a phenomenon observed with very young offenders. If they experience legal backlash for behavior at a young age, instead of acting as a deterrent, the legal actions act as habituation, leaving the person in a constant state of assessment of self as criminal, increasing innapropriate benavior even more. An excess of unnecesrary laws onto cyclists has a similar effect in that the masses get used to not complying to any rules since there are too many, and so no safety gets achieved anyway.

At the very basic end of law making, laws are there to protect us from dangers, cycling is simply not dangerous, and to me NO laws that impede cycling in ANY way are desirable. Motorised vehicles are inherently dangerous, and they need as many laws as needed to impede their murderous ways. The need for a license, registration, insurance... have all kept the automobile from becoming as popular as it should be.

And as we can see, cars are tremendously unpopular with their mandatory everything. Headlights, seatbelts, 5mph bumpers, mufflers, horns - no wonder nobody drives cars.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.