Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Okay It's Chilly Today, But That's Not Supposed To Happen

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-24, 06:38 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts

It's 34* F, and it broke cleanly right in my hands, after being outside for about forty-five minutes. At least it didn't cost me a bike.

( And yes, before anyone asks, I have heavier-duty locks for other situations -- this one was just for suburban usage. )
Likes For TC1:
Old 03-20-24, 07:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
That is why I never sell cable locks, they are so easy to get into this one didn't even require any tools it froze to death...poor guy.

For those looking for a light duty lock ABUS Bordo Lite would be my top recommendation as light or potentially lighter than some cables, easy to carry and a lot more secure and resistant to freezing to death!
Old 03-20-24, 07:41 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1804 Post(s)
Liked 1,444 Times in 993 Posts
If metal cable can snap at 34F that's a pretty poor quality metal alloy the manufacturer used. I'd expect that at below -300F, but none of us would be around if temps regularly got that cold here on Earth!
Likes For skidder:
Old 03-20-24, 08:10 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
The cable looks slightly rust colored at the brake. I wonder if water got in there and corroded the metal. Might be the metal cable was pretty well gone and it was the plastic holding it together, until the cold temps made that brittle.

Broken is broken, but I'm thinking it wasn't the metal that failed due to low temp. Anyway, just a thought.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 03-20-24, 08:41 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
That is why I never sell cable locks, they are so easy to get into this one didn't even require any tools it froze to death...poor guy.

For those looking for a light duty lock ABUS Bordo Lite would be my top recommendation as light or potentially lighter than some cables, easy to carry and a lot more secure and resistant to freezing to death!
Question. Are the Trek folding locks made by ABUS? From a glance they look the same. Asking because the Trek store has one discounted.
Old 03-21-24, 09:55 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Question. Are the Trek folding locks made by ABUS? From a glance they look the same. Asking because the Trek store has one discounted.
Yes they are I checked a photo and it does show an ABUS key and ABUS logo on the links however they are using older mounts which use big thick velcro instead of the newer metal bands (which work a real treat, my lock does not move when it is mounted on the bike it stays put through whatever riding I am doing). I don't know about being able to get it keyed-a-like but I cannot imagine that is impossible because it looks like the standard Plus key they use (the lighter duty stuff is going to be wafer keyed or combo locked)
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-21-24, 10:12 AM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 461 Times in 263 Posts
I own a much thicker cable lock with the same 4-digit combo setup.
Somebody gave it to me, but did not know the combination. His friend used it to lock a motorcycle.
I managed to "pick it" within five minutes. Put my old teen lockpicking skills to work!
It takes less time to hacksaw thru, however. These locks merely slow down thieves.
Mondo chain locks weighing ten pounds fare better, although one usually finds the weakest link in the padlock.
Old 03-21-24, 11:46 AM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
I used to be able to pick those quite easily in my college days. Haven't tried recently. The trick is to wiggle the annular rings back and forth while turning to find the number. If it wiggles freely you are on the number. It was fun to grab a bike off the rack and joyride around campus at night. I always put the bike back but on a different location on the rack. Fun times.
Old 03-21-24, 01:07 PM
WaveyGravey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 88 Posts
Locks are for short term parking. Bike should be where you can see it or get to it quickly.
Old 03-21-24, 01:31 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by WaveyGravey
Locks are for short term parking. Bike should be where you can see it or get to it quickly.
What if you’re camping while on tour?
Old 03-21-24, 02:21 PM
TC1

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
The cable looks slightly rust colored at the brake. I wonder if water got in there and corroded the metal. Might be the metal cable was pretty well gone and it was the plastic holding it together, until the cold temps made that brittle.

Broken is broken, but I'm thinking it wasn't the metal that failed due to low temp. Anyway, just a thought.
This lock was manufactured -- for reasons unknown to me -- with a slit in the plastic sheathing at that location. It was like that straight out of the package. As a result, there's a little discoloration at that spot, but the cable is far from rusted-through.

What I suspect happened was that the slit in the sheath caused it to flex at the same spot, thousands of times, and eventually the cable strands literally reached their braking point.

It obviously wasn't temperature alone -- this lock has been outside all day in sub-zero Fahrenheit many times -- but a combination of age and a potential manufacturing defect, with a cold day perhaps being the camel's straw.
Old 03-22-24, 11:05 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Coated wire rope is notorious for corroding under cracks in the coating and then breaking suddenly. This is particularly common and dangerous in marine applications. Not sure, but I think I see rusty discoloration at the break. Inspection of the broken strands for rust can confirm if this was the cause.
Old 03-22-24, 11:09 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by TC1

It's 34* F, and it broke cleanly right in my hands, after being outside for about forty-five minutes. At least it didn't cost me a bike.

( And yes, before anyone asks, I have heavier-duty locks for other situations -- this one was just for suburban usage. )
A little JB Weld will fix that right up.
Old 03-22-24, 11:11 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
What if you’re camping while on tour?
Sleep with one eye open.
Likes For phughes:
Old 03-22-24, 11:12 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Coated wire rope is notorious for corroding under cracks in the coating and then breaking suddenly. This is particularly common and dangerous in marine applications. Not sure, but I think I see rusty discoloration at the break. Inspection of the broken strands for rust can confirm if this was the cause.
Not sure? It's very obvious.
Likes For phughes:
Old 03-22-24, 01:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by phughes
Sleep with one eye open.
gripping your pillow tight?
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-22-24, 01:50 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Strange, indeed. Usually, they break at the cochonium lock mechanism.
Old 03-22-24, 06:44 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
I use a 5/8" thick 6' cable with a heavy duty padlock. I only use it in my car/SUV which is anchored through one of the seat lock positions when the seat is tilted forward. Bike lays flat but I cover it with two blankets so that no one can see what is there through the heavily tinted windows and tono cover.
Old 03-22-24, 09:56 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18422 Post(s)
Liked 15,570 Times in 7,335 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Sleep with one eye open.
Naw. I sleep soundly with both eyes shut...unless something like a pesky owl with bolt cutters or an angle grinder wakes me.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-23-24, 11:14 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Naw. I sleep soundly with both eyes shut...unless something like a pesky owl with bolt cutters or an angle grinder wakes me.
Me too. Oh, and also that snuffling grunting noise, as something brushes against me from under my hammock.
Old 03-23-24, 12:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts

Any way to use one of these by itself to lock frame, plus both QR wheels to a fixed rack or post? I'm thinking you'd still need something like this to secure the other wheel.

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-23-24, 12:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Yes they are I checked a photo and it does show an ABUS key and ABUS logo on the links however they are using older mounts which use big thick velcro instead of the newer metal bands (which work a real treat, my lock does not move when it is mounted on the bike it stays put through whatever riding I am doing). I don't know about being able to get it keyed-a-like but I cannot imagine that is impossible because it looks like the standard Plus key they use (the lighter duty stuff is going to be wafer keyed or combo locked)
It seems a bit deceptive, doesn't it, to sell these as Bontrager brand items

Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 03-24-24, 11:55 AM
phughes

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Any way to use one of these by itself to lock frame, plus both QR wheels to a fixed rack or post? I'm thinking you'd still need something like this to secure the other wheel.

Sure. I use one all the time with a U-lock.
Old 03-24-24, 02:36 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
OP, have you tried to break any other part of the cable, just to see what would happen? I, for one, am curious.
Old 03-27-24, 09:41 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
If metal cable can snap at 34F that's a pretty poor quality metal alloy the manufacturer used. I'd expect that at below -300F, but none of us would be around if temps regularly got that cold here on Earth!
Well, even steel can only be bent back and forth so many times.
As for the sheathing, if it's old enough and/or has been in the sun a lot, the elastomers will bake out of the plastic and it gets brittle. That's just the nature of plastics.
Likes For Smaug1: