Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Custom Touring Bikes - Builders Honor Roll

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Custom Touring Bikes - Builders Honor Roll

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 07:09 AM
dubes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Permit me to throw out Waterford and Independent Fabrications for this list. And are we only including steel or can Ti builders be added (e.g. Seven, Lynskey (stock and custom), IF again, TiCycles (Dave Levy), etc.)?

I actually thought there already was a list of touring bike builders somewhere on this forum?

Mike
Old 08-08-14, 09:14 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Bikes: Cervelo R5 - SuperSix

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by dubes
Permit me to throw out Waterford and Independent Fabrications for this list. And are we only including steel or can Ti builders be added (e.g. Seven, Lynskey (stock and custom), IF again, TiCycles (Dave Levy), etc.)?

I actually thought there already was a list of touring bike builders somewhere on this forum?

Mike
Thanks.

No, there isn't a list of custom touring bike builders within the forum. Or, if there is, it didn't turn up in a search for threads with the keyword Custom in the title. A few discussions of course but no list of customs.

I reviewed Waterfords site and I've actually owned a Waterford Adventure Cycle many years ago, but I couldn't find details of this touring model among their current offerings. Seemed to be listed as a "Legacy" project and the Gunnar brand site has links to their parent org, Waterford.

If it's a proven custom-framed touring bike platform, I don't think it matters what the material is. I'll check the others out.
Old 08-08-14, 09:20 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I would start with this list then pare down

Custom Frame Builders List by State/Country - The Paceline Forum

The I would visit Vsalon and ask over there since the industry is small they're likely to know all the ones we don't
I've been on and around many of the builder forums but hadn't seen this list on Paceline. I see a number of the frame makers shown on it are no longer at it but it's a great resource to draw on in building this list up. Thanks!
Old 08-08-14, 09:25 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by nun
People are certainly free to spend their money on what they want, and vanity is not necessarily a bad thing as it also has an element of pride and doing a good job, but I don't believe that a custom bike necessarily fits better than an off the shelf bike. When it comes to quality obviously a Walmart bike will not compare to a custom, but there are numerous manufacturers that sell high quality bikes at a fraction of the cost of a custom. Basically, I don't believe a custom bike is worth the extra cost over a good quality off the shelf bike if all you are interested in is performance. But riding a shinny custom bike is fun and if people what to do that that's just fine.
Frankly, discussion of whether there's a need for a custom built touring bike is off topic for this thread. Why don't you start a new thread to discuss this hypothesis, where it will get the attention it deserves?
Old 08-08-14, 09:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You and R&E are in washington, they will set you on an adjustable test bike and dial in the various adjustable points . in person ..
Old 08-08-14, 10:03 AM
wbuttry

Bikes: diamondback outlook turned commuter/ bike packer And a tour easy recumbent for on road touring

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I don't know all the makers of bikes custom or not only thing I care about is a bike that will get me from point A to point Z with all the other points connected. And the ability to carry what I need when I need it like racks or a trailer four panniers or two handlebar bag or not . I understand that you are wanting to list mostly custom builders and that's fine but a lot of us cant afford a custom frame that cost as much as a whole bike . But you also need to list all touring manufactures even the recumbent side I ride a tour easy recumbent lwb. made by recycled recumbents from the tour easy plans they sold in the 70's and still may sell so technically I do own a tour easy. I have toured on diamond frames for many years in my younger days now im 41 still not old but like to relax a little when riding so now the recumbent is a lot easier to tour on. Yes slower on climbing hills but a heck of a lot of fun on the down hill runs. I say I have been cycling for about 30 yrs off and on. I have always owned a bike and still own 2. I got a diamond back mtn bike I converted in to a commuter and then this tour easy in the avatar . And the diamond back I would not hesitate to take it on a weekend tour but if I am going longer than a weekend. I want my trusty steed the tour easy. Mr Carson built it specificaly for me to tour on. That is the way I had it built extra thick and rugged to hold the extra weight.
Old 08-08-14, 10:12 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by MassiveD
I think the idea is good, and to boot, I would love it if we had a separate thread, stickied, not only for this, but for pictures of custom bikes. Within reason the pics could even be of home made customs, basically anything custom.

I agree the numbers would be impossible, though one other approach is the NAHBS approach which is like 5 year sin the business. Imperfect, but there are some flashes in the pan. Would I rather see a guy who has been building for 25 years but doesn't have a web presence, than a guy with a great site who has only a few bikes under his belt.

Also, there is the whole Rob English kind of deal. I doubt he has made 100 bikes custom, though he may very well have. I don't know if he is 5 years around. But he has an engineering background, and worked at a high level at Bike Friday. He did it the best way. Also, his racing background is really invaluable, even to tourists. He probably isn't technically eligible for the list, which is a huge mistake. Basically if there is a good reason for putting someone on the list, the reasons or boxes ticked don't mater.

That is a little weird, because there really isn't a huge custom bike builder business outside of the frames. It seems to be better business to sell complete bikes, but the bike biz is all fractured into parts suppliers, virtually nobody makes bikes.

It probably is a good idea to have various models, but I don't think it is a useful idea to require that. If there was a guy out there making a success of selling only one model, who are we to second guess the market? There may be people who serve niches, or people who have no models and never make the same thing twice, or not so often they have a model. I really don't see that as being anything we need to regulate. And there are people who tour on MTBS or Racing bikes, why should that be a forbidden model.

I agree 100% that a great touring bike builder should be on the list even if they don't have a website, but there has to be some record or evidence (produced within customer's touring journals, etc.) that tourers have found success with their bike(s).

Not sure we are on the same page with regards to builders supplying a complete touring bike. Many build up complete bikes. I'm not saying that these builders fabricate saddles and parts, just that they assemble and fit them for the customer. A lot of tourers simply don't have the knowledge, resources and or time to take a frameset and build it up. While they could take the custom touring frameset to one of their local bike shops, if so, they've now introduced another environment to the final build of their touring bike. That approach won't be ideal for many but it won't be right to exclude builders who have a long history of building great touring frames alone.

Rob English: Man, I hope he pulls off something great with regards to English Cycles and certainly I hope that includes a touring bike or two. Having worked for many years for Bike Friday, having toured coast to coast, and given his creativity… but within your many choices within his custom bikes drop down, "Touring Bikes" isn't one of them. I'll probably give him a call and ask about that. Again, this list is based on already proven framesets. That's no travesty or crime because a good builder will not live an die by this list. It's a fair standard to have at least one well documented touring bike toured on by a customer or two before being included here.
Old 08-08-14, 10:15 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by wbuttry
Well I don't know all the makers of bikes custom or not only thing I care about is a bike that will get me from point A to point Z with all the other points connected. And the ability to carry what I need when I need it like racks or a trailer four panniers or two handlebar bag or not . I understand that you are wanting to list mostly custom builders and that's fine but a lot of us cant afford a custom frame that cost as much as a whole bike . But you also need to list all touring manufactures even the recumbent side I ride a tour easy recumbent lwb. made by recycled recumbents from the tour easy plans they sold in the 70's and still may sell so technically I do own a tour easy. I have toured on diamond frames for many years in my younger days now im 41 still not old but like to relax a little when riding so now the recumbent is a lot easier to tour on. Yes slower on climbing hills but a heck of a lot of fun on the down hill runs. I say I have been cycling for about 30 yrs off and on. I have always owned a bike and still own 2. I got a diamond back mtn bike I converted in to a commuter and then this tour easy in the avatar . And the diamond back I would not hesitate to take it on a weekend tour but if I am going longer than a weekend. I want my trusty steed the tour easy. Mr Carson built it specificaly for me to tour on. That is the way I had it built extra thick and rugged to hold the extra weight.
That's awesome. Happy trails.
Old 08-08-14, 12:03 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by Miles2go
Not sure we are on the same page with regards to builders supplying a complete touring bike. Many build up complete bikes. I'm not saying that these builders fabricate saddles and parts, just that they assemble and fit them for the customer. A lot of tourers simply don't have the knowledge, resources and or time to take a frameset and build it up. While they could take the custom touring frameset to one of their local bike shops, if so, they've now introduced another environment to the final build of their touring bike. That approach won't be ideal for many but it won't be right to exclude builders who have a long history of building great touring frames alone.
Is this thread about custom touring frames/forks or complete custom touring bikes or both? IMO, anyone with decent wrenching skills and tools can attach off the shelf components to a frame/fork, custom or not, as long as the frame/fork accommodates said components. Would a stock frame with custom selected components qualify as a custom touring build?
Old 08-08-14, 02:24 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by alan s
Is this thread about custom touring frames/forks or complete custom touring bikes or both? IMO, anyone with decent wrenching skills and tools can attach off the shelf components to a frame/fork, custom or not, as long as the frame/fork accommodates said components. Would a stock frame with custom selected components qualify as a custom touring build?
The answer to that is stated in the opening line of the original post Alan. All included on the list are known builders of custom framed touring framesets and/or spec complete bikes off of their custom built frames.
Old 08-08-14, 03:20 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
The answer to that is stated in the opening line of the original post Alan. All included on the list are known builders of custom framed touring framesets and/or spec complete bikes off of their custom built frames.
I'm thinking of a company such as Lynskey, that has standard frames, but will build it as a custom build. How would this fit in?

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/s...commuting.html

Or how about Jeff Jones, who has stopped taking custom orders due to high demand, but still sells stock frames?

https://www.jonesbikes.com/custom-1/

Last edited by alan s; 08-08-14 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-08-14, 05:20 PM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Originally Posted by alan s
I'm thinking of a company such as Lynskey, that has standard frames, but will build it as a custom build. How would this fit in?

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/s...commuting.html

Or how about Jeff Jones, who has stopped taking custom orders due to high demand, but still sells stock frames?

Custom

No longer taking orders for custom built frames is kind of a problem isn't it?

From what I know, Lynskey is probably going to be added but I still need to drop by their site and see what they are up to these days. Thanks for the leads!
Old 08-08-14, 06:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
I actually see little need for this list, but if you think it important, please keep spending time on it.

Some of the bikes from this list are quite beautiful, but practically speaking I think other than a few Bike Fridays and a Co-Motion or two, I have not seen any custom touring bikes from this list out on the trails or in the hiker/biker sites. I own a couple Thorns but since they no longer make frames in their custom shop in the UK, they would not qualify for your list since their bikes are welded up in Taiwan to their standard specifications.

I do not know if any of the manufacturers on this list that are not on your list meet your criteria or not. But some might.
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...page_id=148052

I also do not know if Koga or Santos should be on your list or not based on your criteria. I have never seen a Koga, but they are occasionally mentioned on this forum. A few months ago I saw a pair of Santos touring bikes at a campsite next to the campsite I was in, they clearly were purpose built for the task.

If a builder only makes a unique non-mainstream bike, like Bike Friday which specializes in small wheel folders, you might want to note that next to their name on your list, that could make your list a bit more user friendly.
Old 08-08-14, 07:11 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Steve Garro has build touring bikes that have seen some pretty impressive tours. coconino cycles custom bicycles 928 774 7747 www.coconinocycles.com
He's very busy, it would be a trick to find one of the touring bikes in among the mountain bikes, but they are there
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Acoc...ng&t=canonical
He has toured extensively. Unfortunate that he's no longer physically able to do that now.
Old 08-08-14, 11:18 PM
MassiveD

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Here are some English ones for you:

Ray?s Rohloff tourer | English Cycles

Custom folding road/adventure bikes | English Cycles

Sean?s travel bike | English Cycles

He is also a guy who is pushing out the envelope, and some of his categories like Winter bikes and Travel bikes are really interesting, and would make great touring bikes, or with minor modification would be great. You are right that he isn't so good at Touring as a heading.

Old 08-08-14, 11:24 PM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

He is also a guy who is pushing out the envelope, and some of his categories like Winter bikes and Travel bikes are really interesting, and would make great touring bikes, or with minor modification would be great. You are right that he isn't so good at Touring as a heading.

Old 08-09-14, 01:43 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by wbuttry
We have a thread for all touring manufacturers, custom and otherwise.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/18...ing-bikes.html
Old 08-09-14, 01:45 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by dubes

Mike

Yes, there is. It's a thread for all touring bicycles ... off the shelf, customised and custom.

Old 08-09-14, 01:46 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Custom builds, as in part swaps or custom touring frames? I know the Turismo line is offered to tourers but will they make me a 55/57 if I need it to go see France? Change the location of the mid-fork rack mount? Etc.? Thanks.
Send them an email and find out.
Old 08-09-14, 07:41 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by MassiveD

Interesting bikes, but why does a company called English Cycles have a Union Jack logo?.......yep I'm just being an annoyingly pedantic nerd.

Last edited by nun; 08-09-14 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-09-14, 08:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
... particularly if in Oregon, not Northumbria..
Old 08-09-14, 09:12 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
... particularly if in Oregon, not Northumbria..
It would be worse in they lived anywhere in England because they should know better.......but it's an all too common mistake
Old 08-09-14, 09:12 AM
Miles2go
Zen Master

Keep it rolling folks.

Tis a bit sad to see fellow tourers on here not getting the value of having a special thread which maintains a list of those people making a living building custom touring frames for fellow tourers. Amazing really.

Don't like it or see any need for it, then move on. It's not going away.

Happy trails.

Last edited by Miles2go; 08-09-14 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-09-14, 05:56 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

From what I can see, there are at least 3 threads listing touring bicycles ... all of which are sticky-ed.

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/55...cel-sheet.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/71...ing-bikes.html

Why not create this list as an appendage to one or more of those? I suspect the number of people going for custom touring bicycles is relatively small, but a list like this could be a useful addition to an overall touring bicycle list.

And as an aside, one problem with your list is that it is quite restrictive. I have a friend, for example, who has a small bicycle building company. He specialises in touring bicycles, but only produces a very limited number each year. He doesn't have two lines of touring bicycle ... each one is manufactured individually. He doesn't have much of a web presence. So ... I'm not allowed to mention him here. And yet the bicycles he produces are as custom as they come.
Old 08-09-14, 06:25 PM
MassiveD

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Rob English is his name, he hails from the UK I believe.

I think a stand alone list is what is required, but it could be appended to the overall list so that people who start there are edified. But custom shoppers need an easy to find and search list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.