Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Disc braked road bikes are coming

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-15, 05:22 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts

The scourge is upon us. They're showing up on recreational road rides in Florida.

There is just no reason you could
Possibly need disc brakes on a road bike in Florida for recreational group rides.

Just goes to show the bike
Industry can convince people they need to pay to upgrade to the latest greatest.

Ultimately people figure things out, and what works prevails. But
In the short run they can sell snow to Eskimoes. Can anyone say bio pace ?
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 08-09-15, 05:26 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Why do you, or anyone else, care about how other people outfit their bikes?
Old 08-09-15, 05:27 PM
bt
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think it's gonna be the way to spot a n00b.
Old 08-09-15, 05:33 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
saw 'em on a new bianchi road bike in the store yday. not a fan of the aesthetics vs caliper brakes.
they supposedly provide greater or quicker stopping power-yes (don't have a mtb)?
there are a few long and steep (>2 miles/>10% grade) downhills around here that can really beat up your hands/forearms
riding the (caliper) brakes but otherwise...any other supposed benefits like price (less expensive which is doubtful)?
Old 08-09-15, 05:37 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Might make sense in Colorado. Not Florida, which is what the OP's point is.
Old 08-09-15, 05:41 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think hydrologic discs are going to be a standard for any road bike over a certain price like mountain bikes are now. (Try to find a MTB > $700 without hydraulics) And even though the stopping power isn't always necessary, the smoothness of hydraulic is appreciative on any grade of slope.

But also through axles will be a racing road bike standard within 10 years I think. Weight isn't the focus anymore because they already can make them so light you'll save more weight on your ride by putting in a few more miles!
Old 08-09-15, 05:42 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's not up to us...it's up to Shimano...and at some point, we'll all be on discs whether we like it or not, just like we'll all also have electronic gruppos whether we like it or not.
Old 08-09-15, 05:46 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
maybe florida is where discs are most needed due to all the blue hair drivers...
Old 08-09-15, 05:47 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by Silvercivic27
It's not up to us...it's up to Shimano...and at some point, we'll all be on discs whether we like it or not, just like we'll all also have electronic gruppos whether we like it or not.
I believe you are right, and I do not like the potential lack of choice. However, some of us are old enough that we will be in the ground or riding wheelchairs before this is 100% true.
Old 08-09-15, 05:51 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22599 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Kindaslow
I believe you are right, and I do not like the potential lack of choice. However, some of us are old enough that we will be in the ground or riding wheelchairs before this is 100% true.
Will your wheelchair have caliper or disk brakes??
Old 08-09-15, 05:55 PM
OnyxTiger
Bonafide N00bs

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Quick CX 4, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.3C Disc, 2012 Fuji SST 2.0 Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't see how there's going to be a lack of choice here. Bikes - used and new - are manufactured in droves, and practically any rider with any price budget has tons of different options at their disposal. If you don't want discs, don't get discs. Personally, I have some on my commuter and I love them. Do I need 'em for commuting? Probably not. But hey, personal preference is one of the freedoms that we all get to enjoy in this community.

I'd be more worried if something drastic like the illegalization of certain metals/compounds for bike frames were enforced. That'd be a loss in my book.
Old 08-09-15, 05:58 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sometimes a loud noise or high pitched squeal occurs when the brakes are applied. Most brake squeal is produced by vibration (resonance instability) of the brake components, especially the pads and discs (known as force-coupled excitation). This type of squeal should not negatively affect brake stopping performance. Techniques include adding chamfer pads to the contact points between caliper pistons and the pads, the bonding insulators (damping material) to pad backplate, the brake shims between the brake pad and pistons, etc. All should be coated with an extremely high temperature, high solids lubricant to help reduce annoying squeal. This allows the metal to metal parts to move independently of each other and thereby eliminate the buildup of energy that can create a frequency that is heard as brake squeal, groan, or growl. Cold weather combined with high early-morning humidity (dew) often worsens brake squeal, although the squeal generally stops when the lining reaches regular operating temperatures.
Old 08-09-15, 06:25 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I really like the look of the disc and if I buy a new bike disc will be one of the features I'll be wanting, Disc brakes stop better, how could brakes that stop better be a bad thing?
Old 08-09-15, 06:41 PM
Bunyanderman

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished a lot of steep descending, 18.5k ft over 100 miles. It got pretty annoying constantly worrying about overheating my carbon rims, and pulling off when brake fade started to set in heavily. Or how the smell of burnt brake pads had people commenting if that was normal. I would of preferred disk brakes, but that's just me.
Old 08-09-15, 06:58 PM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
I would trade my Caad10 right now for a Caad10 disc, no question. I'm new enough to road cycling that the change doesn't bother me a bit and coming from a mtb background embrace disc brakes on road bikes. I'm getting ready to buy some carbon clinchers and one of the main considerations when choosing a wheel is how well they brake. With disc's it's a non issue.
Old 08-09-15, 07:05 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Will the disc brakes interfere with their spoke reflectors?
Old 08-09-15, 07:26 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by datlas
Will your wheelchair have caliper or disk brakes??
As long as it does not have those stupid press against the tire brakes, all is good!
Old 08-09-15, 07:30 PM
BoJaffa

Bikes: 2001 Trek 5900, Trek Madone 3.1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see the advantage for a cross bike or gravel bike. But not really on a road bike. Most of the riders I see on the road with disk brakes are the Noob type who think they look cool and provide conversation points to their friends.. The bike industry is always looking to push the next best thing. Just look at Trek with their bottom bracket mounted rear brake which has now been done away with..
Old 08-09-15, 07:31 PM
inspclouseau

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Getting caught in a Florida 4pm downpour warrants discs when descending our bridges. I'll be in the market real soon, but still avoiding them until the technology gets better. Not that it has much room to get much better.
Old 08-09-15, 07:31 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll consider them when quality shimano hydraulics are on road bikes in the $1500 range.

What's really criminal isn't the specing of discs, but the specing of extremely subpar dual pivots from companies such as tektro and specialized's "axis" brakes (tektro's?).

Shimano dual pivots work well, but the knockoffs are just disgraceful. The "axis" dual pivots simply cannot be adjusted properly.

Specialized frame geometry is tops in my opinion, but their specs on wheels and brakes are borderline criminal.
Old 08-09-15, 07:37 PM
exime

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BoJaffa
Most of the riders I see on the road with disk brakes are the Noob type who think they look cool and provide conversation points to their friends..
That's your opinion but you try to pass it off as fact which is rather humorous. I don't have disc brakes but if I did I guarantee I wouldn't get it for the looks and more importantly I wouldn't care what some billboard nerd thought about them.

Last edited by exime; 08-09-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-09-15, 07:37 PM
VNA

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bunyanderman
I just finished a lot of steep descending, 18.5k ft over 100 miles. It got pretty annoying constantly worrying about overheating my carbon rims, and pulling off when brake fade started to set in heavily. Or how the smell of burnt brake pads had people commenting if that was normal. I would of preferred disk brakes, but that's just me.
Also on disk brake's calipers/pistons burning and melting on Shimanos on long descents.
May be advantageous for MTB particularly in mud and wet conditions but not sure for road bikes???
Old 08-09-15, 07:42 PM
Alias530
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
The scourge is upon us. They're showing up on recreational road rides in Florida.

There is just no reason you could
Possibly need disc brakes on a road bike in Florida for recreational group rides.

Just goes to show the bike
Industry can convince people they need to pay to upgrade to the latest greatest.

Ultimately people figure things out, and what works prevails. But
In the short run they can sell snow to Eskimoes. Can anyone say bio pace ?
you think massive worldwide companies are going to make bikes specific to FLORIDA because YOU don't need them there?

The benefits of discs are pretty obvious and the lack of a NEED is not an argument against them. Does anyone NEED a 4,000sq ft house? Does anyone NEED 500 horsepower?
Old 08-09-15, 07:53 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Manufacturers have put disc brakes on road bikes for a few years now. It's not exactly new.

It is highly unlikely that anyone is running out and buying a new bike purely because they now make road disc bikes. Anyone who did, would have found some other excuse to buy a new bike.

Nor is the bike industry pulling the wool over anyone's eyes. They're offering disc because buyers want it. Seems pretty straight-forward to me.
Old 08-09-15, 07:57 PM
silversx80

Bikes: Lynskey R240, 2013 CAAD10

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Boy, it was super easy to tell who all the n00bs were when the industry moved away from DT shifters and toe clips.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.