Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cantilever Brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Cantilever Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 04:23 AM
worldtraveller
worldtraveller

Bikes: 92 Specialized Rockhopper, 96 Maxim, 2006 Argon 18 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cantilever Brakes

Is it still possible to get old Cantilever Brakes.

Really all i need is the triangle part as i do have some old Cantilever Brakes

for an old mt bike i have , as the v brakes are not working too well. since bike was originally just Cantilever Brakes

on a quad 21 forck
Old 07-13-11, 06:04 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Yes. Pretty much any shop that sells bike parts has them.

Why didn't the V-brakes work? Did you change the brake levers at handlebars to V-brake too (v-brakes need more cable pull, so standard cantilevers will not do)?

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 07-13-11, 08:57 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yeah ^^ +1. I'd go further in saying that there really isn't any good reason to use cantilevers vs. linear pull (v-brake) -- they're inferior in almost all braking aspects, including design problems with varying mechanical advantage through the arm arc that v-brakes don't have. They're also harder to set-up, require more mounting parts on the frame, and even with good pads have lower power than a cheap v-brake with crappy pads.

STI use is the only reason they continue to exist that I can see.
Old 07-13-11, 10:15 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Nothing wrong with Canti's if you can set them up well, what didn't help canit's was the way Shimano wanted you to set them up with the fixed length cables, and outers, if you know what you are doing with them, and can get a yoke part like the Avid tri-dangle or Onza Chill Pill, they should work better than with the Shimano parts.

That said, would always go for V-brakes over canti's if I had the option.

Last edited by jimc101; 07-13-11 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 12:22 PM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I use cantilever brakes on my commuter, and find them to work just as well as v-brakes when set up properly. I'd use a proper straddle cable rather than the fixed length yoke. That allows for easier adjustability to get the mechanical advantage right. You should be able to get small parts from a good LBS.
Old 07-13-11, 01:10 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by TurbineBlade
Yeah ^^ +1. I'd go further in saying that there really isn't any good reason to use cantilevers vs. linear pull (v-brake) -- they're inferior in almost all braking aspects, including design problems with varying mechanical advantage through the arm arc that v-brakes don't have. They're also harder to set-up, require more mounting parts on the frame, and even with good pads have lower power than a cheap v-brake with crappy pads.

STI use is the only reason they continue to exist that I can see.
Wrong.

Originally Posted by Monster Pete
I use cantilever brakes on my commuter, and find them to work just as well as v-brakes when set up properly. I'd use a proper straddle cable rather than the fixed length yoke. That allows for easier adjustability to get the mechanical advantage right. You should be able to get small parts from a good LBS.
Originally Posted by jimc101
Nothing wrong with Canti's if you can set them up well, what didn't help canit's was the way Shimano wanted you to set them up with the fixed length cables, and outers, if you know what you are doing with them, and can get a yoke part like the Avid tri-dangle or Onza Chill Pill, they should work better than with the Shimano parts.

That said, would always go for V-brakes over canti's if I had the option.
Correct. Cantilever brakes get a bad rap because they are a bit more difficult to set up. I have 8 bikes: 3 with cantilever, 2 with linear brakes, 1 with disc front and linear rear, one road bike and one hydraulic disc. All stop just fine with similar characteristics - except the hydraulic which are just awful. But all of my cantilever brakes use tradition straddle cables.

Do a google search for "cantilever cable yoke", worldtraveler. You'll find tons of them. My favorite - and favorite cantilever brake - is the Moon Unit from Paul Components. Expensive but they work so well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-13-11, 01:25 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If V-brakes would work, too, why would I choose cantilevers that are more difficult to set up just so that I can have equal--but not better--stopping power than V-brakes, assuming I set them up correctly? The additional requirement to set them up correctly just to have equal performance is a disadvantage in my mind. V-brakes take the guess-work out of it.
Old 07-13-11, 02:47 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
In canti's I've only ever used the ones where there's a single bolt/nut that does it all - brake pad distance, angle, rotation. And I must say I find that a seriously sucky design.
Still, once past that hurdle I have no quarrel with their actual braking.
Old 07-13-11, 04:11 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by JiveTurkey
If V-brakes would work, too, why would I choose cantilevers that are more difficult to set up just so that I can have equal--but not better--stopping power than V-brakes, assuming I set them up correctly? The additional requirement to set them up correctly just to have equal performance is a disadvantage in my mind. V-brakes take the guess-work out of it.
Because cantilever brakes work directly with road levers. If you use STI, like I do on two of my bikes, the cantilevers are easier to use than v-brakes.

Setting them up correctly isn't all that hard either.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 07-13-11, 04:40 PM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Because cantilever brakes work directly with road levers. If you use STI, like I do on two of my bikes, the cantilevers are easier to use than v-brakes.
That's why I began my sentence with "If V-brakes would work, too...." I agree with TurbineBlade that the integrated road shifters/brake levers are the only thing keeping cantis mechanically relevant. If I had a bike with STIs and canti posts, then sure I'd use cantis, but only in that situation.
Old 07-13-11, 05:35 PM
fuzz2050
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That's why I began my sentence with "If V-brakes would work, too...." I agree with TurbineBlade that the integrated road shifters/brake levers are the only thing keeping cantis mechanically relevant. If I had a bike with STIs and canti posts, then sure I'd use cantis, but only in that situation.
Not to mention that cantilever brakes usually have better clearance for racks and fenders, better mud clearance, have a lot more flexibility in their set-up, and look better to boot.
Old 07-13-11, 06:44 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Actual cyclo-cross racing, popularity has made a lot of really nice
cantilever brakes come to market.

Spooky .. and Empella, so TRP had something to copy..

Traditional profile sits well off the rim, so the wheel won't lock up
after encountering the 1st Mud Bog.
Old 07-13-11, 07:05 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12770 Post(s)
Liked 7,686 Times in 4,080 Posts
I tend to like the modulation of many canti's better than any Vees I've had. Even my not-so-fancy STX cantis have a real nice feel to 'em.

Them Vees sure are easier to put together, though.

And as already said, worldtraveller, V-brakes with canti levers can make for some pretty poor braking, so either get some V-brake levers or revert to cantis.
Old 07-13-11, 07:18 PM
reptilezs

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
tell me with a straight face that these are user friendly and easy to adjust https://cyclocrossworld.stores.yahoo....4zacicybr.html
Old 07-13-11, 07:30 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I Have a 30 year old set of Mafac cantilevers ,and a 20 YO Modolo cross set
Not drastically different
Toe is is bending the Post in the shoe..
Though I'm looking at some adjust in Place brake pads/and holders , recently..
bolt runs thru the Post.
Low priority I ride other Bikes More
Magura HS33 or Avid disc BB7 on my RohloffHub Bikes.

You need to have the frame bosses in the right spacing and height.
Pro Cyclocross race frames tend to have wide fork spacing ,
for those brakes , Now..

I built the frame I installed the Mafacs on ,
the adjustment was done in brazing before the paint went on.

They are rather Narrow on the fork.. , on road touring crown steel ones .

The AlAn Cross Super had them much wider apart, front was like the rear..

Libras balance .. cantilevers, better.. perhaps .. with 30+ years of practice..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-13-11 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 09:28 PM
MikeWinVA

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Univega Activa ST Hybrid, 70's Schwinn Traveler, Giant Innova, Nishiki Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one has mentioned using a set of travel agents from QBP to change the leverage ratio so you can use V-brakes with STI's.

Personally I like the feel of properly setup canti's over v-brakes and calipers. I find V-brakes and Calipers a bit mushier, but the V-brakes do seem to have the greatest stopping power.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
travel-agent-br0300.jpg (47.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 07-13-11, 09:48 PM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Who said "-but not better-" stopping power? Set them up right and they can be made stronger than v-brakes.

also, that the mechanical advantage of cantilevers is dependant on setup method is not a liability if you want the ability to choose how strong they are

primary disadvantage of cantilevers; highly sensitive to brake pad gap as the pads wear down
-better ones have a barral adjuster on the (horizontal)straddle wire to eliminate this issue.
Old 07-13-11, 10:22 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by fuzz2050
Not to mention that cantilever brakes usually have better clearance for racks and fenders, better mud clearance, have a lot more flexibility in their set-up, and look better to boot.
That's one of the reasons I converted the third bike to cantilevers from v-brakes. I just couldn't get a 60 mm fender under the v-brakes.

Old 07-14-11, 12:02 AM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I recall, another reason for V-brakes appearing and Cantilevers disappearing - was lawyers. The yoke on the main cable might slip off, get caught in the knobby tires, and the bike would come to an abrupt halt. Not sure if that's worse than a linear pull with noodle that has slipped out and now you have zero braking. Got the notice from some suppliers in the late 1980's telling all shops to use the brake bolt holes on fork and rear stay-bridge to put in reflector brackets that would effectively catch the yoke cable and stop it from falling onto the tires. My manager showed me the letter. That hasn't stopped me from riding the same sets of Deore and Deore XT canti's for 25 years - without a brake-bolt mount reflector bracket.
Old 07-14-11, 02:23 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
This guy is a huge cantilever fan and I've run across this article a few times: https://www.rodbikes.com/articles/brakes.html

It's quite outdated and IMO attributes problems to v-brakes that I've mostly just had with cantilever brakes. (yeah, I get that they're both technically a cantilever brake before some smart ass points that out).

He fails to mention the ready availability of v-brake road levers, the fact that using a headset mount for the front cable on cantilevers often causes a "shutter", and he says that v-brake pads don't last long -- but doesn't mention that it's pretty easy to just put cantilever pads on a v-brake provided you have fork clearance.

Nothing he writes is a convincing arguement to use cantilevers over v-brakes.

One of the biggests things I've noticed, is that even with the world's crappiest brake pads -- not even set up to align all that well, a cheap no-name v-brake with still provide excellent power. A cantilever will (IME) not tolerate anything even close to this imperfection in set-up -- and even when set up well (low yoke, pads extended toward rim to get 90 degree angle) have only "decent" stopping power. And they usually squeal if they're low profile brakes.

They have STI and retrostyle to thank -- otherwise they're pointless. I don't like how they look enough to use them over v-brakes .
Old 07-14-11, 02:47 AM
Monster Pete

Bikes: 2000-something 3 speed commuter, 1990-something Raleigh Scorpion

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cyccommute
That's one of the reasons I converted the third bike to cantilevers from v-brakes. I just couldn't get a 60 mm fender under the v-brakes.
That's what I found too. My commuter had v-brakes originally, which wouldn't fit over the fenders I bought. I switched to some cantis from my parts box and the problem was solved.
Old 07-14-11, 02:51 AM
TurbineBlade
Kid A

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That's another possibility too. Oddly enough, my Surly has fenders and front and rear rack (jandd) which all clear v-brakes, and I don't use STI.

Asbolutely no reason to use cantilever brakes for me . Tektro RL520 work great.