Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

I hate busses

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

I hate busses

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-15, 04:59 PM
DunderXIII

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Tricross Elite, Tricross Sport (*R.I.P), Mikado DeChamplain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hate busses

They're about as fast as a bike but weight 100x more and they're out to KILL YOU!!

</rant>
Old 05-06-15, 05:04 PM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
In WA I think they always have the right of way, so they're entitled to KILL US
Old 05-06-15, 05:26 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
In WA I think they always have the right of way, so they're entitled to KILL US
I don't know....
Couple of weeks ago I reported a bus driver for dangerous and hostile driving, and it was taken very seriously.
Old 05-06-15, 05:40 PM
dragoonO1

Bikes: My bicycles have two wheels.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Buses often occupy the same space as the bike lanes in my area. I too reported an unsafe bus driver that cut me off. The video was quite convincing, and that individual is no longer driving buses with that particular organization. On the other hand, I have had zero problems with any school bus driver after many thousands of encounters.

The human(s) operating the massive metal weapon(s) upon the roadways are more often than not the danger to road users.
Old 05-06-15, 05:46 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
I don't know. Here in Westchester I often share the road with buses and we get along fine. On one route I can ply leapfrog with a bus for over 10 minutes. The drivers know when to pass and do it wide, and they know when not to, such as when I'm too close to a stop and they won't make it around. They also don't pull out when I'm too close.

I return the favor by holding back a bit when I see they're ready to pull out from a stop. Riding with buses is like dancing. As long as you're used to each other nobody's toes get stepped on.

BTW- one nice thing about riding on NYC's oneways is I can keep left an not have to deal with buses at all. Now if they can pass a law making it illegal for cabs to pickup/dropoff on the left side....

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-06-15, 06:02 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i would absolutely hate to be a bus driver. all those decisions... do i give them room, do i not give them room, do i give them room, do i not give them room. all day long. day after day, after day, after day...
Old 05-06-15, 06:20 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dragoonO1
Buses often occupy the same space as the bike lanes in my area. I too reported an unsafe bus driver that cut me off. The video was quite convincing, and that individual is no longer driving buses with that particular organization. On the other hand, I have had zero problems with any school bus driver after many thousands of encounters.

The human(s) operating the massive metal weapon(s) upon the roadways are more often than not the danger to road users.
I've never had any real issues with city bus drivers in San Antonio. But a lot of the school bus drivers in the 2 small cities I commute through are complete jerks. I especially appreciate the ones that speed up to pass me so they can stop 10' in front of me with their lights flashing.
Old 05-06-15, 06:27 PM
DunderXIII

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Tricross Elite, Tricross Sport (*R.I.P), Mikado DeChamplain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dragoonO1
On the other hand, I have had zero problems with any school bus driver after many thousands of encounters.
That's true for me too; never had issues with school busses. City busses though? arrgghhhh!!!
Old 05-06-15, 06:32 PM
DunderXIII

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Btw just to describe what happened, I was basically passed very close and then "cornered"; then we took a turn and he almost clipped me. I went ahead and he passed me very, very close and cornered me again. This happened twice because of the leap frog effect.

Anyway, it's not the first time its happened either been hating busses since 1999. Feels good to rant
Old 05-06-15, 09:10 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I hate all road users on 4 wheels! Though if I were a solipsist, I would be the only one on the road.

Kidding aside, there are good drivers and bad drivers. It's too easy to get a drivers license
Old 05-07-15, 07:51 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 2,646 Times in 952 Posts
No problems here. They've never squeezed me. I always pass them on the left. Even if it means waiting behind the bus for a few secs. When I'm passing the bus driver waits until I'm ahead before pulling out. Play leapfrog with them 2-3x per week.
Old 05-07-15, 08:03 AM
ChicagoDan

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Fuji Tread, Montague Navigator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
...When I'm passing the bus driver waits until I'm ahead before pulling out. ...
The bus drivers in downtown Chicago are the opposite. They pull out regardless of whether bikes are in the lane next to them. a couple of days ago, there were 4 of us in the lane riding single file, and a bus pulls out into the middle of us. One rider was in front of it, two of us were able to stop, but one had to swerve into the next lane over (where there was moving traffic). Fortunately, the driver in the next lane was paying attention, and stopped to let the cyclist through.
Old 05-07-15, 08:09 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Many bus drivers are careful, safe and courteous, but a minority of them are outright dangerous. Some of the closest brushes I've ever had with vehicles has been school buses that passed me with inches to spare. City bus drivers seem to be better, but not always. I got behind a real doozy this morning. First, he/she straddled two lanes for several blocks, preventing anyone from passing. It was very slow to start at all of the traffic signals, and then stopped in the middle of an intersection to make a right turn without signaling. A truck in the intersecting street apparently was blocking the lane, making it hard for the bus to turn, so thebus driver just stopped in the middle of the intersection until the truck finally backed up. The bus caused about 20 cars (and me) to miss the green light.
Old 05-07-15, 08:28 AM
squegeeboo

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DunderXIII
That's true for me too; never had issues with school busses. City busses though? arrgghhhh!!!
I'm the opposite. City buses are generally a non-issue. School buses are dangerous.
Old 05-07-15, 08:33 AM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my fair share of issues with bus drivers. They are the only ones who honk at me on a few routes. I've had a driver pull beside me when I was in rush hour city traffic in the left of the right lane and tell me to filter and spilt the lane and I was wrong in my riding position.

But most of the time they are fine.

Then there is this: https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...r-hit-car.html

Enough said.
Old 05-07-15, 08:40 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
i have been doing more dancing with school buses lately. I can not wait until school is out. LEss busses and less rushing half paying attention parents driving their kids to school.
Old 05-07-15, 08:47 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by DunderXIII
Btw just to describe what happened, I was basically passed very close and then "cornered"; then we took a turn and he almost clipped me. I went ahead and he passed me very, very close and cornered me again. This happened twice because of the leap frog effect.

Anyway, it's not the first time its happened either been hating busses since 1999. Feels good to rant
Take it up with the buses management. Do you have a a local bike advocacy/ ped/ transportation group? Shoot some video and post. I'm sure other bikers must have the same issue.
Old 05-07-15, 08:53 AM
El Paso
Old, but Still Learning

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the bus drivers in my city seem to be pretty nice. Of course, they're human beings, but they don't do anything dangerous around me when I'm riding.
Old 05-07-15, 08:54 AM
mconlonx

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 7148 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 92 Posts
I like buses, and ride one regularly when I am bike commuting. Without the bus in the middle of my bike-bus-bike commute, my 32r/t bike commute would be about 90mi, and since I don't particularly feel like doing a 3hr ride on either end of work, the bus makes things a bit more reasonable...
Old 05-07-15, 08:58 AM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I don't know. Here in Westchester I often share the road with buses and we get along fine. On one route I can ply leapfrog with a bus for over 10 minutes. The drivers know when to pass and do it wide, and they know when not to, such as when I'm too close to a stop and they won't make it around. They also don't pull out when I'm too close.
I have to agree. I commute in the Bronx and Yonkers daily and the buses concern me the least. I have found that they give ample room and I have never been cut off by a driver. In turn I respect the driver, his passengers and the tons of metal that he is operating and never make any hasty moves by a bus. If one stops o let out passengers or take on some and there is traffic on the left I stop and wait patiently. I think that the drivers then understand that the road is shared by respectful cyclists and they do not view us as an annoyance or hazard. That being said I was in Midtown yesterday and a tour bus operator almost clipped me as I waited at a red light and he made the illegal turn on red. He stopped and apologized when I let fly but that wouldn't have helped if he had hit me... Livery cabs are also another story...
Old 05-07-15, 09:15 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Many bus drivers are careful, safe and courteous, but a minority of them are outright dangerous. Some of the closest brushes I've ever had with vehicles has been school buses that passed me with inches to spare. City bus drivers seem to be better, but not always. I got behind a real doozy this morning. First, he/she straddled two lanes for several blocks, preventing anyone from passing. It was very slow to start at all of the traffic signals, and then stopped in the middle of an intersection to make a right turn without signaling. A truck in the intersecting street apparently was blocking the lane, making it hard for the bus to turn, so the bus driver just stopped in the middle of the intersection until the truck finally backed up. The bus caused about 20 cars (and me) to miss the green light.
Old 05-07-15, 09:22 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
almost exactly 4 years ago i was hit by a CTA bus that blew through a stop sign.

i was miraculously able to walk away from the collision.

my bike wasn't so lucky.
Old 05-07-15, 09:53 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Working as an urban bus driver has got to be one worst jobs there is. Driving a huge vehicle on narrow, congested streets with no one giving you an inch. At least that's how it is around here. My sympathy goes out to them. However, I hate buses. Doesn't everyone?
Old 05-07-15, 10:05 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
.... However, I hate buses. Doesn't everyone?
No. I find that, as a class, bus drivers are among the most professional and courteous of all on the road. There is some natural conflict between bicyclists and buses because both share the right side of the road, but it's easily manageable.

BTW- it helps to plan and avoid surprises if you learn where the bus stops are along your regular bike routes. Also, one of the biggest hazards is cyclists filtering on the right when traffic slows. It's easy enough to avoid if you simply don't pass buses on the right.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 05-07-15, 10:20 AM
cobrabyte
one life on two wheels

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.