Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Why brooks saddles?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Why brooks saddles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-15, 09:38 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why brooks saddles?

I just don't get the appeal. To me they're ugly, and from reading about them they sound higher maintenance, and they cost the same as four of my favorite seat. I'd never worry about my seat being in the sun or rain, and I don't need to treat it with creams or use a saddle cover.

What am I missing? I sat on one and it felt nice, but I like my "budget" saddle better in every way. Looks, feel, weather proofing etc.
Old 04-03-15, 10:05 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are happy with your current saddle, I wouldn't advise you to change it. There are certain people that are just 'lucky' in the sense that they can ride pretty much any saddle and feel no pain. Other people experience extreme saddle issues and have to experiment until they find a solution. There are even some very unlucky people that never find an acceptable solution and are forced to ride recumbents or take other extreme measures.

Brooks saddles have a good reputation among ultradistance cyclists that ride all day long in all weather conditions for endurance events such as RAAM, or in 24 hour time trials. Here is a blog about early RAAM equipment that you can read and will note Brooks saddles mentioned specifically several times. The Bikes of RAAM (1982 through 1990)

It goes without saying that if the people riding their bikes for 20 hours a day or more tend to prefer a particular type of saddle, you may want to give it a try if you happen to be experiencing severe saddle issues.

Brooks is probably the most well known, but there are other leather saddles that are very similar in design and function.

Last edited by SouthFLpix; 04-03-15 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-03-15, 10:10 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the link, lots of interesting stuff in there! Giving it a read now.
Old 04-03-15, 10:21 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You may also be interested in a link to the first RAAM (called The Great American Bicycle Race at the time): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNrzfZSY8Vs

Pretty interesting stuff. Each of the challengers had a great personal story, imo.
Old 04-03-15, 10:30 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
If your cheaper (no condescension meant) saddle gets the job done for all of your riding, more power to you.

A couple of Brooks models have proven to be the most comfortable for me so far, but I still keep an open mind about it. My needs may change as I get older...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-03-15, 11:00 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Its a question as utterly pointless as trying to explain why one prefers chocolate or vanilla ice cream.
Old 04-03-15, 11:14 PM
Kawriverrat

Bikes: Old Nishiki, rockhopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For short commutes I can get buy with just about any saddle. But when I start approaching 30 miles or more the Brooks for me is noticeably more comfy.
Old 04-04-15, 03:31 AM
Corben

Bikes: 2014 Dawes Lightning 1000.1990 Schwinn Voyuager. 1997 specialized Crossroads Hybrid.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried to use the saddle that came with my bike but after a few days it just became to unbearable to continue to use. I replaced it with my b17 and I'm much happier now. I thought a a black one would be a better match but couldn't afforda new one so I got a used one on CL. my daughter picked it up for me and didn't notice that the leather was placed on the rails crooked. Really can't notice it once it's on the seat post. Also it very well broken in by someone with a bigger butt then my butt and it's not as comfortable as the one that I broke in over the years with my butt either. Too bad because the black looked pretty sharp on my bike.
Neither one is ugly. They're very stylish and add class to my my bikes. The black one is on my hybrid.
Old 04-04-15, 07:23 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
I just don't get the appeal. To me they're ugly, and from reading about them they sound higher maintenance, and they cost the same as four of my favorite seat. I'd never worry about my seat being in the sun or rain, and I don't need to treat it with creams or use a saddle cover.

What am I missing? I sat on one and it felt nice, but I like my "budget" saddle better in every way. Looks, feel, weather proofing etc.
Sounds like you are not missing anything and should stick with what you have.
Old 04-04-15, 07:28 AM
bonner1040

Bikes: Salsa Spearfish 3 - VeloLucuma PoloLoco - Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp Disc - Salsa Mukluk 2 - Salsa Vaya 2 - Specialized Vita (Wife)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was nothing wrong with the saddle that came on my Vaya, at least nothing that presented itself. That being said I find the Brooks B17 Select in the light brown to be simply gorgeous. The obvious aesthetics combined with the reputation made it a no brainer for me.
Old 04-04-15, 07:48 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
If you go with the Cambium line, you have none of the issues with rain, maintenence or breaking in. I've been riding on it for a couple weeks now, and it is very comfortable. Weighs a bit more than some saddles, though.

Old 04-04-15, 08:05 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
I have used Brooks saddles exclusively since 1972 for daily riding; mostly B72 and B66 models. Have never treated or maintained them with any oils, creams or witch doctor preparations. My only special care is to cover the saddle with a plastic bag when left outside in the rain. Always have been fine for me. Glad your saddle works for you.
Old 04-04-15, 08:32 AM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Flaws:
Heavy (if that worries you, shouldn't be a problem for commuting bicycle)
Cold (leather is cold in winter/autumn time)
Gets soaked in the rain - not nice. You need to worry about puting bicycle in some shelter, or puting a bag ove the parked saddle when it rains

Good things:
Brooks Flyer is the most comfortable saddle I've put my but on.
Durable, sturdy

Price is not too high, compared to synthetic quality saddles.
Old 04-04-15, 08:33 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
99% of cyclists I see don't use Brooks. Out of thousands of bikes I've seen over the years only few of them had Brooks. To each his own, use whatever you're comfortable with.
Old 04-04-15, 08:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff

As others have said, if you are happy with what you currently use, ride it. I have Brooks on my road bikes but I have plastic saddles on my mountain bikes. There is a difference. I notice that the plastic saddle feels stiffer than the Brooks. I notice it across the saddle in the middle. A plastic saddle feels like a solid wedge between my legs while the Brooks conforms more. The Brooks feels "narrower" but it is actually wider across the middle of the saddle than the plastic ones I use.

Originally Posted by alan s
If you go with the Cambium line, you have none of the issues with rain, maintenence or breaking in. I've been riding on it for a couple weeks now, and it is very comfortable. Weighs a bit more than some saddles, though.
People make way too much out of the care and feeding of Brooks saddles. I have several and none of them have ever needed "breaking in". I currently have a brand new Pro that is comfortable (to me) right out of the box. And, while I don't agree with I-Like-To-Bike on much of anything, I do agree that nothing special needs to be done to the saddle. I do put Proofhide on the top and bottom of the saddles when I install them and maybe more on top once or twice a year (if I remember). And I use a rain cover that came with the saddles in the rain. Otherwise I ride it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-04-15, 08:46 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by wolfchild
99% of cyclists I see don't use Brooks. Out of thousands of bikes I've seen over the years only few of them had Brooks. To each his own, use whatever you're comfortable with.
Probably 99% of the bikes used for commuting look nothing like most of bikes seen or recommended on the commuting list with drop bars, expensive components, and narrow high pressure tires.
Old 04-04-15, 09:04 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Probably 99% of the bikes used for commuting look nothing like most of bikes seen or recommended on the commuting list with drop bars, expensive components, and narrow high pressure tires.
I told you we didn't agree on much. 99% of bikes used for commuting are used for commuting. There is no "recommended" commuter bike and I'm not sure what "commuting list" you are referring to. I commute on everything from a dual suspension mountain bikes to a titanium go-fast bike (which has Brooks Swallow on it). The bike used for commuting doesn't matter.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-04-15, 09:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Now They're Trendy, Fashionable .. 40 years ago they were Fringe (in the US).

Now , Fetching $100+ People steal them off Parked Commuter Bikes .. & flip on eBay.
Old 04-04-15, 10:36 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I told you we didn't agree on much. 99% of bikes used for commuting are used for commuting. There is no "recommended" commuter bike and I'm not sure what "commuting list" you are referring to. I commute on everything from a dual suspension mountain bikes to a titanium go-fast bike (which has Brooks Swallow on it). The bike used for commuting doesn't matter.
THIS commuter list, ya know, the Commuting list on Bike Forums. For examples see https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/...ycle-pics.html
Old 04-04-15, 10:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Now They're Trendy, Fashionable .. 40 years ago they were Fringe (in the US).
40 years ago Brooks B72 and B66 saddles were OEM on Raleigh 3 speed bikes that were sold all over the U.S. probably in the millions in the 50s thru the 70's.
Old 04-04-15, 10:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Anecdote Noted ... How many were sold in the US?
Old 04-04-15, 11:48 AM
jade408

Bikes: Working on replacing my stolen Soma Buena Vista Mixte

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 44 Posts
I switched to a brooks saddle for two reasons: looks great on my bike and the stock saddle was not comfy after 20 minutes. The Brooks was more comfy, even when i had the b17 on an upright bike.
Old 04-04-15, 11:55 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
It's a cult. Once you sign up they never let you out.
Old 04-04-15, 11:57 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
I've never ridden one, but I too like the look. Seems like they would be more slippery than other more common saddles? They look and feel so smooth.
Old 04-04-15, 12:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Anecdote Noted ... How many were sold in the US?
As previously posted, I suspect in the millions as assembled to the Raleighs (and perhaps other British 3 speeds) sold in the U.S. post war.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.