Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Rear Rack Recommendations

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-18, 09:07 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts

Hello all. Looking to get a rear rack. Ignore the crappy previous post I made, please.

I have a road style bike, if that matters, which I don't think it does.

The Topeak Super Tourist DX (no disc breaks and no spring) looks like a nice quality product, but I'm wondering if there are alternatives that will do just as well? This product has the proprietary track that makes MTX compatible backs easy to attach. OK, sounds good, but does that mean if I don't want to buy an MTX bag I'm paying for things I won't use? I like the way it attaches to the bike with the long mounting bracket arms that can be bent and such but I have seen others with this feature. I'm perfectly willing to bungie a bag I currently have, or one of my kayak dry bags on a wet day, etc. Or is the MTX thing such a wonderful feature that I'd fall down and spasm if I didn't get one?

Old 02-15-18, 10:35 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I was gonna go with an MTX setup but I saw an old one and it rattled so bad on the rack I decided against it.

I use Tubus Vega Evo and Axiom Journey. Two different styles, both very effective.

-Kedosto
Old 02-16-18, 12:24 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Kedosto
I was gonna go with an MTX setup but I saw an old one and it rattled so bad on the rack I decided against it.

I use Tubus Vega Evo and Axiom Journey. Two different styles, both very effective.

-Kedosto
Thanks for the recommendations, I'll throw the Vega Evo into the hat. It's more expensive yet I'm willing to pay for quality. If something rattled over and over I'd soon pull over and throw it in the river. The Axiom Journey looks like a nice basic rack as well, I'll also put it on the list.

Thanks again.
Old 02-16-18, 12:43 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
Been using the Topeak Explorer rack for a decade on my Cannondale F4 Mtb. I use a Topeak MTX bag and it's so secure and convenient, I can't fathom using any other type of system. The bag slides on and locks into place in three seconds. No need to fuss with bungees or straps. Takes two seconds to unlock and slide the bag back off the rack.

The bag rattles minimally on the rack, it never bothered me. If it did, I could resolve it with a couple small patches cut from an old inner tube, and use spray adhesive to stick them between where the bag and rack contact.

Unless you're invested in some really nice touring panniers already, I would not hesitate to go with the Topeak rack and bag combo.
Old 02-16-18, 12:51 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by General Geoff
Been using the Topeak Explorer rack for a decade on my Cannondale F4 Mtb. I use a Topeak MTX bag and it's so secure and convenient, I can't fathom using any other type of system. The bag slides on and locks into place in three seconds. No need to fuss with bungees or straps. Takes two seconds to unlock and slide the bag back off the rack.

The bag rattles minimally on the rack, it never bothered me. If it did, I could resolve it with a couple small patches cut from an old inner tube, and use spray adhesive to stick them between where the bag and rack contact.

Unless you're invested in some really nice touring panniers already, I would not hesitate to go with the Topeak rack and bag combo.
Thanks for that. I have no money invested in anything else and don't mind spending (reasonably) and what makes life a wee bit easier and convenient. Is there a particular MTX bag you use, and how much "Stuff" does it hold?

EDIT: I only see two MTX bags, an 8 liter one (MTX Trunkbag EX) and then a 12.1 liter MTX Trunk Drybag. I assume you have the 8L one.

EDIT II: I see the 12.3L version also. So if I went with this I'd have to think which would be just large enough to handle a set of clothes and shower supplies. I do plan on keeping the clothes at work and only taking a fresh set of light clothing to wear the 1 mile from the gym (shower) to work to change, so really I could get by with the 8L one. I'd hate to either purchase to small or to purchase too big. I'm going to go to a bike store tomorrow to see if they have these and other brands in stock to stare at.

Thanks again.

Last edited by WonderMonkey; 02-16-18 at 01:09 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 01:06 AM
General Geoff

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Cooper CX; 2007 Cannondale F4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 64 Posts
I use the MTX DXP bag: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...x-trunkbag-dxp

Topeak claims a 22.6 liter total capacity, if that means anything to you. It holds a massive amount of stuff. I've done minor grocery shopping and brought home two 10lb bags of potatoes in the zip-open side panniers, 10lbs of security chain and padlock, along with ~10 lbs of other stuff. The Explorer rack is rated for 55lbs of carrying weight, and I've never felt like it or the bag was strained at all even with all that stuff riding in it. The Super Tourist rack you're looking at is rated for 66lbs so I can't imagine ever overloading it unless you have a person sitting on it!

The main compartment of the bag has a velcro divider as well as an elastic pouch built into the soft lid, which is super convenient for stowing standard roadside repair stuff (multitool, inner tube, patch kit, etc) without taking any real space in the compartment itself. The bag and panniers are very durable, I don't have any rips or tears at all.

Last edited by General Geoff; 02-16-18 at 01:10 AM.
Old 02-16-18, 01:08 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Nice rack. I have the regular version on 3 bikes. Add a couple layers of 3M Friction Tape to the deck and it doesn’t make any noise, but still slides on and off as designed. I have the MTX bag with panniers, which add capacity if needed. I also use the rack with Ortlieb panniers for touring, so it is all around a great option.
Old 02-16-18, 01:11 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Thanks for that. I have no money invested in anything else and don't mind spending (reasonably) and what makes life a wee bit easier and convenient. Is there a particular MTX bag you use, and how much "Stuff" does it hold?

EDIT: I only see two MTX bags, an 8 liter one (MTX Trunkbag EX) and then a 12.1 liter MTX Trunk Drybag. I assume you have the 8L one.

Thanks again.

For a rack/bag(with quick release) combo, Topeak is one of the best options out there, especially if you want a trunk bag with small drop out panniers, that give you a total volume of 22.6Litres.

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...5D=1;orderby=3

But now my favourite rack brand(Racktime) has stepped up to the plate and released a competitor to Topeak, with their new Odin trunkbag, which has a capacity of 23Litres in total, with 10 of those litres coming from the drop out panniers.

I am a big fan of Racktime's baskets and other items that can be clicked on to a rack, so for me, the Odin would be an easy choice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Topeak 1.jpg (98.8 KB, 257 views)
Topeak 2.jpg (100.3 KB, 256 views)
Racktime Odin 1.jpg (343.9 KB, 264 views)
Racktime Odin 2.jpg (159.5 KB, 264 views)
Racktime Black Rack.jpg (42.1 KB, 257 views)
Old 02-16-18, 01:12 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Racks are pretty standard if you don't get one with special features. For example, I happen to have heavy duty Blackburn EX-1 racks on most every bike because they come with and fit the kid seats we own. Other than being bigger tubing, they're about the same as all the others.

Your road bike might matter, if it's one that doesn't have rack bosses.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-16-18, 01:15 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by General Geoff
I use the MTX DXP bag: https://www.topeak.com/global/en/pro...x-trunkbag-dxp

Topeak claims a 22.6 liter total capacity, if that means anything to you. It holds a massive amount of stuff. I've done minor grocery shopping and brought home two 10lb bags of potatoes in the zip-open side panniers, 10lbs of security chain and padlock, along with ~10 lbs of other stuff. The Explorer rack is rated for 55lbs of carrying weight, and I've never felt like it or the bag was strained at all even with all that stuff riding in it. The Super Tourist rack you're looking at is rated for 66lbs so I can't imagine ever overloading it unless you have a person sitting on it!

The main compartment of the bag has a velcro divider as well as an elastic pouch built into the soft lid, which is super convenient for stowing standard roadside repair stuff (multitool, inner tube, patch kit, etc) without taking any real space in the compartment itself. The bag and panniers are very durable, I don't have any rips or tears at all.
I can see having two different setups. First is my smaller needs for a commute and second is for any bike camping that I may do. Up until now I've used a Burley Travoy for that and am generally happy but I know that a pannier type setup would do me a bit better.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-16-18, 01:17 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by alan s
Nice rack. I have the regular version on 3 bikes. Add a couple layers of 3M Friction Tape to the deck and it doesn’t make any noise, but still slides on and off as designed. I have the MTX bag with panniers, which add capacity if needed. I also use the rack with Ortlieb panniers for touring, so it is all around a great option.
Thanks. I'll remember the hint about the friction tape if I go with that option. I'd getting tough to not just pull the trigger and go with the Topeak. I'll wait for just a bit to see if anybody has other thoughts.
Old 02-16-18, 01:18 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
For a rack/bag(with quick release) combo, Topeak is one of the best options out there, especially if you want a trunk bag with small drop out panniers, that give you a total volume of 22.6Litres.

But now my favourite rack brand(Racktime) has stepped up to the plate and released a competitor to Topeak, with their new Odin trunkbag, which has a capacity of 23Litres in total, with 10 of those litres coming from the drop out panniers.

I am a big fan of Racktime's baskets and other items that can be clicked on to a rack, so for me, the Odin would be an easy choice.
Oohhhh those look nice as well! I'll waste a lunchtime tomorrow going over those. Thanks for the direct competitor to Topeak!
Old 02-16-18, 01:20 AM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Racks are pretty standard if you don't get one with special features. For example, I happen to have heavy duty Blackburn EX-1 racks on most every bike because they come with and fit the kid seats we own. Other than being bigger tubing, they're about the same as all the others.

Your road bike might matter, if it's one that doesn't have rack bosses.
I was looking at the Blackburn's as well, if I didn't get a "system". They look like a quality product.

I did go out and check my bike before starting my search to see if it had the standard connections, or at least versions of them, and it does. So yes, in reality it does matter, but hopefully I've checked what really mattered.
Old 02-16-18, 01:26 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Originally Posted by WonderMonkey
Oohhhh those look nice as well! I'll waste a lunchtime tomorrow going over those. Thanks for the direct competitor to Topeak!

I've only seen the Odin bag on the website for Rose Bikes and they have a note saying it won't be available for another 4 weeks.

Racktime don't even have it listed on their website yet.

Racktime has the largest quick release rear basket I could find, and it has come in very handy for when I go grocery shopping.

They also have the below product that also quick releases into their racks and I plan to use it to haul cartons of beer, when I acquire this product in a few months time.

And Racktime also has the rack I would recommend in either black or silver.
Attached Images
Racktime - Box Large.jpg (33.8 KB, 259 views)
Racktime Box 1.jpg (91.8 KB, 260 views)
Racktime Box 2.jpg (241.3 KB, 259 views)
Racktime Box 3.jpg (131.1 KB, 256 views)
Racktime Silver Rack.jpg (53.8 KB, 257 views)
Old 02-16-18, 08:18 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
This is what I have and I couldn't be happier with it

https://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Journey.../dp/B003UWEUK6

It's not a proprietary system. So there's no special clips or anything. I think that's a good thing since it gives me versatility. Down side is I have to make extra sure anything I put on the rack is firmly secured, where as a proprietary clip system snaps in and you're done.

But the bag will wear out long before the rack does and if they change the clip design 5 years from now you won't get a replacement bag....that's the kind of reason I don't like proprietary clip systems. And you're locked into that company's bags, when maybe another company makes a nice bag you'd rather have. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but oh well.

As for the Axiom Journey I have, it's solid. Very solid. It's weakest point is the mounting bolts. The bolt will fail from excess weight long before the rack does. Off the bike, just sitting on my floor, I can sit on this rack and it doesn't so much as bend. And I'm not a little guy. I tried this because I wanted it to bend a little so fit my disc brakes. Took everything I had to stretch it an extra inch wider.

A key to rack is to have a single piece mounting post. Not an adjustable one. That'll keep it seating to the bike firmly with no rattle. With an adjustable length mounting post I've always had issues with them rattling at the point where the adjustment screw sits. I'm sure not everyone has that, but it happens to me for the 2 previous adjustable models I had.

The one thing that I like about the Topeak rack you are looking at over my Axiom rack is the double bar at the top. You have the highest bar for mounting a trunk bag, then the slightly lower bar for panniers, so the pannier sits below the trunk bag. On my rack if I want a trunk bag with panniers the panniers have to be mounted first then the trunk bag can be no wider than the rack or it wont' fit between the panniers. I don't carry a trunk bag much so this isn't a huge deal. But it could be for someone else. I'd like to have the option, but oh well.
Old 02-16-18, 08:50 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
when I was faced with the choice, decided to replace Son's broken rack with a Topeak Explorer Non-Disc Direct MTX Track rack because I saw it recommended by another BF member. we have a bunch of trunks so not jumping on the slide on Topeak MTX Trunkbag just yet but they look sweet
Old 02-16-18, 09:22 AM
FargoRider

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2009 Fuji CCR-3, 2015 Framed Minnesota 3.0 (fatty), 1992 Bianchi Project-3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I really like the Ibera bike racks. Very sturdy up top, but have nice wide side mounts too so there's plenty of room to fasten my panniers without getting in my way when peddling (heels won't bump them).

https://www.amazon.com/Ibera-Bike-Ra...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Old 02-16-18, 11:07 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by FargoRider
I really like the Ibera bike racks.
Yeah, me too. The trunk bag comes off real easy and I keep all my flat tire kit in there as well so I just bring everything in to the locker room with me. I don't have panniers or a heavy load, so I only mounted the rack with one strut and it's still sturdy.

Old 02-16-18, 12:26 PM
FargoRider

Bikes: 2005 Bianchi Eros, 2009 Fuji CCR-3, 2015 Framed Minnesota 3.0 (fatty), 1992 Bianchi Project-3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Yeah, me too. The trunk bag comes off real easy and I keep all my flat tire kit in there as well so I just bring everything in to the locker room with me. I don't have panniers or a heavy load, so I only mounted the rack with one strut and it's still sturdy.
Yeah, I agree it's sturdy. I orginally got the Ibera rack for my fatty that I use for winter commutes. I liked it so much that I got a second one for my "rainy day" commuter that I built up last spring.
Attached Images
Minnesota Fatty wBags_o.jpg (181.7 KB, 238 views)
Project3.jpg (255.8 KB, 241 views)
Project3WBags.jpg (148.2 KB, 239 views)
Old 02-16-18, 02:07 PM
srestrepo

Bikes: 2016 Felt Z85 105, 2016 GT Grade Sora

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,

I went with an axiom streamliner disc dlx for a rack for a very specific reason that may help you.

The bike I mounted it to is a GT Grade aluminum frame. It had only one set of eyelets for either a rack or mudguards but not both. If you look at the way the rack comes, there are these clips that you can slide a quick release through and then the stays bolt up to the rack eyelets on my seat post collar.

I removed the clips from the rack, used the forward set of holes on the rack to attach it to my bike and the rear set of holes on the rack to attach my mudguards to it. The only reason I did that is because with the clips, the weight bias on my bike was too far back and this frame didn't seem to ride well. Removing the clips brought the weight closer to me (still no heelstrike) and allowed me to still keep my mudguards mounted without having to use p clamps to attach the mudguards to my frame.

Seems convoluted but its much simpler in pictures that I don't have. In any case, it's a very sturdy rack and I've not had any problems with it at all.

I use ortlieb panniers that I bought on sale at REI, otherwise, I was going to get the topeak setup.
Old 02-17-18, 02:49 PM
WonderMonkey

After all good suggestions and insight I went with the Topeak Explorer. I thought just about all mentioned in this thread would work for me so I went to my LBS with the list and decided I'd look at what they had and if something was in stock that was on my list, I'd probably get it. That's what happened. He had the Topeak and another brand. He showed me his bike with the Topeak on it and how the bags attach etc. and I got it.

He's all out of bags for sale but I'm going to pick out the right size and give him a call to order.

Thanks to everybody for helping out, maybe if someone else is looking in the next few months this information will still be relevant to them.

https://www.topeak.com/us/en/product...c)-(w-o-spring)
Old 02-17-18, 06:30 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
did you get it installed? goes on pretty well, right? lots of little nuts tho, right?
Old 02-17-18, 07:35 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
did you get it installed? goes on pretty well, right? lots of little nuts tho, right?
I didn't install it yet, spent the day cleaning the garage. I'll put it on tomorrow.
Old 02-18-18, 11:50 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I am also a big fan of the Topeak Explorer Rack and MTX DXP Trunk Bag combination. The rattle bothers some people, but not me. I find that if the volume on my handlebar-mounted mp3 speaker is set just right, NONE of the sounds my bike makes bother me!

Seriously, though, there are several easy tweaks to stop the rattle, which is common on this rack, but the good news is that they are not mandatory because the rattle doesn't affect the security of the system. The bag fits securely on the rack without undependable bungees that can snap off and get tangled in your spokes, Best of all, it slides on and off nice and smoothly so you can commute like a gentleman, or a lady.

There are many good rack and bag systems out there that will be just fine if you don't mind spending the extra time securing the bags every time you get on. So unless you are going to buy one of the Topeak bags with the Easy-Glide hardware (my recommendation), you probably don't need to invest in a Topeak rack.
Old 02-18-18, 12:42 PM
WonderMonkey

Originally Posted by Papa Tom
So unless you are going to buy one of the Topeak bags with the Easy-Glide hardware (my recommendation), you probably don't need to invest in a Topeak rack.
I just put on order the Topeak MTX Trunk Bag DX. I mulled around getting the EX but thought how irritated I'd be when the EX was JUST NOT QUITE LARGE ENOUGH. Heck I may find the DX is too large, but we shall see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.