Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Looking for disc 36h cartridge value hubs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-15, 02:14 PM
bowlofsalad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I am far from an expert in this subject, bicycle hubs! I am looking for some front and rear bicycle hubs that use cartridges rather that cup and cone. I was considering some hope pro 2 evo hubs, but those prices are a bit outrageous. At this point I don't care if it's freewheel or cassette, just so long as it's 36 hole, disc and uses cartridge bearings. I won't mention a specific price range, just that I am looking for value, it can weigh more than the top of the line hub.

Know of something that I might be interested in?

Thanks
Old 06-02-15, 02:25 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Why do you care so much about it being cartridge bearing if you don't care if it's a freewheel or cassette? Seems like an odd thing to be focusing on. Just curious.

I'm not sure about 36h hubs with cartridges. I know White Industries T11 comes in 36h, but I'm guessing you'll find their price "outrageous" too.

EDIT: Sorry you asked for disc, so forget the WI T11.

How about this:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=17010

No idea if it's any good.

Last edited by dr_lha; 06-02-15 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-02-15, 11:13 PM
bowlofsalad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks so much for the response.

Originally Posted by dr_lha
Why do you care so much about it being cartridge bearing if you don't care if it's a freewheel or cassette? Seems like an odd thing to be focusing on. Just curious.
That is an excellent question. In the past, I have replaced bearings when servicing cup and cone(CnC) hubs, I have even replaced cones. But I have never replaced a cup because I have never had a CnC hub that had a replaceable cup, this has bothered me for a long time. I have been avoiding the idea of buying more CnC hubs, such as the shimano m756, if the cup was replaceable in all CnC hubs, I never would have made this post.

This leads us to the cassette and freewheel idea. Honestly, I prefer freewheels, but as far as it not mattering to me, it doesn't because the freewheel and freehub parts are 100% replaceable and the maintenance on both are pretty simple and easy. I feel servicing a freewheel plenty quick and easy, but I can live with either for certain, I just don't want to pay $180+ for a bicycle hub.

Thanks, it's a maybe.
Old 06-03-15, 07:42 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Honestly, I'm not sure you'd ever find a hub which is compatible with disc breaks, a freewheel and has cartridge bearings.
Old 06-03-15, 08:44 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Hub width? 130, 135,142,148,150 mm or wider? QR, 10,12 or 15mm through axles? Not going to find freewheel stuff with disc brakes.
Old 06-03-15, 12:42 PM
CycleryNorth81

Bikes: custom Cyclery North (Chicago), Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Here is a Weinmann wheel with a sealed Quanta hub in 27" for $99. If you can't use the rims, strip it for the hubs.

WEINMANN LP18 SILVER 27 126mm ROAD 5/6/7 speed wheelset [72774716654] - $99.00 Velomine.com : Worldwide Bicycle Shop, fixed gear track bike wheelsets campagnolo super record vintage bike
Old 06-04-15, 01:12 AM
bowlofsalad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Leebo
Hub width? 130, 135,142,148,150 mm or wider? QR, 10,12 or 15mm through axles? Not going to find freewheel stuff with disc brakes.
The spacing between the dropouts is 135mm, 100mm on the front. Quick release is always acceptable, seems like 9-10mm is is the maximum axle widths.

Honestly, I'm not sure you'd ever find a hub which is compatible with disc breaks, a freewheel and has cartridge bearings.
*shrugs* Maybe not, freewheel isn't a requirement, something I am simply open to if such an item should exist.

Originally Posted by CycleryNorth81
Thanks, sadly the rear is only 126mm wide and lacks disc compatibility.
Old 06-04-15, 03:14 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by bowlofsalad
I just don't want to pay $180+ for a bicycle hub.
$155: https://www.velocityusa.com/product/h...-disc-rear-hub

Some 'sealed cartridge bearing' hubs are just called 'sealed bearing' hubs and if you look at the exploded diagrams of some hubs, you'll see sealed cartridge bearings just listed as bearings.

There's probably more sealed cartridge hubs around then you think there is.
Old 06-05-15, 01:09 AM
bowlofsalad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cobba
Thanks for the reply.

Yikessss. Maybe I can choke down the price of $100 max for a rear hub, but they want $112 just for their front version. You'd think for some of these prices the hubs were lubricated with baby leprechaun blood and were self propelling or at least had a motor in them. I am not interested in the over priced weight weenie BS, I am perfectly fine dragging around a 'boat anchor' for a hub. I'd sooner stick with shimano M756/a's.

Originally Posted by cobba
Some 'sealed cartridge bearing' hubs are just called 'sealed bearing' hubs and if you look at the exploded diagrams of some hubs, you'll see sealed cartridge bearings just listed as bearings.

There's probably more sealed cartridge hubs around then you think there is.
I promise you I've searched until my eyeballs nearly started bleeding and I forgot what the sky looked like. The issue I often encounter is a sense of uncertainty on what an actual value hub, plenty of seemingly reasonably priced stuff but how do I know what is good and what isn't? Half the stuff turns up little to nothing in searches. I just don't know one brand or product from the next, which is largely why I made this thread. It all begins to become sort of jumbled together. I assume some bicycle mechanics and shop owners in the know might have some insight to share on the subject, I often guess I am missing some product line here.

Right now novatec hubs seems like a decent maybe for considering something as a value bicycle hub, some of the prices I've found on them seem far more reasonable for something with a few moving parts. Some things I've read online didn't seem too horrible. Perhaps there is more like this?
Old 06-05-15, 02:08 PM
ColaJacket

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.3 C - 2014

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure about 36h hubs with cartridges. I know White Industries T11 comes in 36h, but I'm guessing you'll find their price "outrageous" too.

EDIT: Sorry you asked for disc, so forget the WI T11.

How about this:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=17010

No idea if it's any good.
It looks like sometime this month November Wheels will start making Nimbus Ti Disc wheels.

November says that the WI Ti hubs are just as good as the WI T11 hubs.

Our answer to riders' high performance alloy wheel challenge is to begin with our November Nimbus Ti hubs, manufactured by White Industries. Their most important features are shared directly with the T11: bearings (Enduro-made ABEC 5), axles (steel rear, aluminum front), titanium cassette body, geometry, and weight are all the same between the two. They come the titanium grey/silver color as pictured. A simpler hub shell, limited colors, and economies of scale afforded by a streamlined purchasing and hand building process is responsible for all of the cost savings.

So, this might work for you. If you just want hubs, than the WI Ti hubs should work.

GH
Old 06-06-15, 03:14 PM
bowlofsalad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColaJacket
It looks like sometime this month November Wheels will start making Nimbus Ti Disc wheels.

November says that the WI Ti hubs are just as good as the WI T11 hubs.

Our answer to riders' high performance alloy wheel challenge is to begin with our November Nimbus Ti hubs, manufactured by White Industries. Their most important features are shared directly with the T11: bearings (Enduro-made ABEC 5), axles (steel rear, aluminum front), titanium cassette body, geometry, and weight are all the same between the two. They come the titanium grey/silver color as pictured. A simpler hub shell, limited colors, and economies of scale afforded by a streamlined purchasing and hand building process is responsible for all of the cost savings.

So, this might work for you. If you just want hubs, than the WI Ti hubs should work.

GH
I wasn't able to find an exact pricing on these, but something tells me these are far from the sort of pricing I'd qualify as 'value'.
Old 06-06-15, 05:00 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For $60 you can buy a pair of lower end but decent Shimano hubs. I have an older pair of these that have lasted many years. I can't remember doing any maintenance on them.
Amazon.com : Shimano Front Mountain Bicycle Hub - HB-M525 : Sports & Outdoors
Old 06-07-15, 05:31 PM
bowlofsalad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GP
For $60 you can buy a pair of lower end but decent Shimano hubs. I have an older pair of these that have lasted many years. I can't remember doing any maintenance on them.
Recommending cup and cone hubs are really unrelated to the discussion of this thread. I am hoping to move away from cup and cones and lock in with hubs that use cartridge bearings. Chances are you'll -always- be able to find cartridge bearings of the appropriate size used in a bicycle hub. Not only does this mean that you can get fresh and new races/bearings and so on all at once, but it likely means virtually immortal serviceability.