Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New touring bike

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

New touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-19, 01:15 PM
j.postema

Bikes: Raleigh Criterium steel bike, Challenge Furai 2x26 recumbent bike, Koga Myata travel bike, Brompton folding bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New touring bike

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new touring bike. My previous one was stolen a few years ago It was a 2000 euro bike, including upgrades... I bought a temporarily replacement, second-hand, but it's frame is a bit small, although I experience no fit problems: it actually rides very comfortable and the body feels good during bike holidays on this bike. But when looking at photo's of me on my bike it looks a bit strange: a smallish frame (60 cm frame size, Koga Myata Lightrunner) and a tall guy. So to conclude, I'm looking for a new bike. Another reason is the limited tire size: although the current 42mm tires have been just ok, I would like to try a bigger size, like 48 or 50mm as I enjoy unpaved roads, although they are not really rough. I live in Europe and until now I mostly travel in Germany and Scandinavia. I like unpaved roads as there is less / no motorized traffic. But I still would like to bike on paved roads. For instance, when I biked to the North Cape in Norway (about 4000 km's), I still see a lot of asphalt.

I like the idea of building my own bike, I do all bike repairments of all my bikes I own myself so that won't be a big deal. I prefer a more upright position and flat handlebars. Although I like disk brakes, because of squeezing sounds when wet (grit), and becuase of simplicity / durability, I prefer rim brakes. (v-brakes). I prefer a steel frame (although the very comfortable Koga Myata is aluminium), as I think it's easier to fix (solder) and it looks better in my opinion.

I prefer the looks of the more traditional LHT, as I don't like a sloping top tube, but I think the Troll would be better for wider tires.
So right now I'm thinking about a Surly Troll as it seems to be a both versatile and affordable bike. But as I'm a tall guy (197 cm tall, 90 cm inseam length), I'm not sure if the 26 inch wheelsize is small for my body length? The Surly Ogre would be an alternative, but visually I don't like the 29 inch wheels (too big), but I could build it with 27.5 inch wheels. There's also the Bridge Club... Any idea's / advices on what bike to pick? It should be available in Europe. Would the Troll / Ogre be overkill if one travels a lot on paved roads as well?

My current touring bike
Old 06-20-19, 02:28 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I do most of my touring on a Troll. Wheel diameter is really unimportant, in my opinion, except I don’t like the really small wheels. But 26, 27.5 or 29 are pretty much the same. Most of my touring is on mixed surfaces and I usually run 26x2 tires. For a road only tour, I have another bike that is a little faster. You can run larger wheels on a Troll if desired, but would be limited by tire size. Larger wheels/smaller tires. I’ve had a Troll since they first came out, and bought an S&S coupled World Troller a couple years ago.
Old 06-20-19, 02:54 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I own a Koga 04 WTR, bought used in 08 in a country with no Koga dealers..
someone bought it in Europe and brought it back after their holiday ...

I just wish they did not cut the steering tube so short (factory pre cut) , it was extended with a stem raiser, just not quite enough..

Old 06-20-19, 10:50 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Being the height you are, I would be getting a bike fit so you know exactly what size to get then I would order a frame from XACD titanium, Titan frames, Habanero etc that was made for you. Anything that you buy off the rack will be a comprimise. You will find it will handle much better and be more comfortable.
Surly frames are solid because they use very heavy thick walled cheap tubing.
As for the rim/disc brake thing if you buy a disc brake bike you have many options as to wheel and tyre size. 700 x 28 road tyres have the same outside diameter as 650b x 38 or 26" by 50. Good luck getting cantilevers to accommodate that range. All the new technology for rims is going into designs for disc brakes. If you buy a bike that you plan on having for a long time then disc is the only way to go.