Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Clipless pedals or not?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Clipless pedals or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 09:55 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
P.S. Here's another flats vs clipless experiment I ran across:
https://www.roadbikereview.com/revie...ls-on-the-road

The debate reminds me of the manual transmission vs automatic transmission debates with cars. Some people find extra effort with extra complexity rewarding. They feel more directly connected to the car/bike. But others prefer the simpler and more brainless automatic transmission. I prefer the auto transmission as I just want to get where I'm going with minimum extra work. I like biking, but the less work needed to go biking the better for me.
That's an interesting quote because I see the understanding totally differently.

The manual transaxle is the less complex option as it costs less to build and maintain and is much less hassle to use. The automatic transaxle is often more expensive and requires additional hassle in the form of additional maintenance that isn't required on a manual transaxle.

To drill deeper ... a manual transaxle is like my daily worn shoes and standard pedals. Nothing else is needed. The automatic transaxle requires additional shoes and pedals just like the extra components of an automatic transaxle including a torque converter, extra cooling systems and additional fluid pumps/electronics.

In fact, one can argue that they can "select a specific gear" with an automatic transaxle just like they can ride on the inverse side of the pedal but both are really half-assed solutions.

To me, the automatic transaxle results in worse real-world performance (fuel economy and acceleration) while making something more complex than it needs to be, when directly compared to a manual transaxle.
Old 11-28-18, 10:35 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@RidingMatthew, I'm right handed, but I guess I mount and dismount a bike left-handedly..
i'm the same.

i'm definitively right-handed (my left hand is a mostly useless appendage), but for bike riding, my left foot is always my starting foot.

my left foot gets locked onto the pedal at the start of a ride and doesn't get unlocked until the end of the ride. i believe this is because, just as with my hands, my right foot is ~8 billion times more dexterous than my left foot, so getting in and out of my SPD's is more easily done with my right foot. the left foot becomes a "set it and forget it" thing, while the right foot does the work of getting in and out of the pedal along the way.

not that i keep track of such things, but i could probably count on one hand the number of times i've ever unlocked with my left foot first in my entire cycling career. that's how rarely it happens. it's always my right foot. ALWAYS.

Last edited by Steely Dan; 11-28-18 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-28-18, 11:44 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I don’t think the side you put your foot down has anything to do with being right or left handed. I’m a lefty, but unclip my right foot first. That way the bike leans away from cars or bikes or whatever is using the road or path. It would be interesting to see if riders in the UK tend to do the opposite.
Old 11-28-18, 04:44 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I'm right-handed, kick with my left foot, and always, always unclip the right foot when coming to a stop. Unclipping the left feels genuinely unnatural... to me. I've tried starting off with the right foot clipped in, and it's as if I've forgotten how to ride a bicycle.

That said, most people I see unclip the left foot at a stop. Which is weird to me here in the land of driving-on-the-right. With my right foot unclipped I can stand on the curb and stay in the saddle at stoplights.
Old 11-28-18, 05:21 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I assume that somewhere in your education you had to take physics. What makes you think that your shoes are going to do any better job of keeping you from falling if you get hit, slip or fall? Sticking a leg (or arm) out in a collision, slip or crash does nothing to slow you down nor does it "catch" you. The least it's going to do is to cause muscle tears and the worst is a compound fracture that takes months to heal.

To paraphrase a great blue...um...creature: "Keep your hands and arms [and legs] inside the carpet!"
I recently had two examples on the same ride that reinforced my decision to use flat pedals, rather than clipless. It was 35 degrees and runoff from a storm from the previous day had created a number of puddles, some six inches deep on the asphalt trail. On two occasions, while riding very slowly, (I didn't want to get sprayed) the rear wheel slipped out from me. Very rapidly. I think the runoff had deposited a very thin layer of very slippery mud/silt. It was only ability to put that leg down quickly that stopped me from falling in that puddle. Being soaking wet on a windy, 35 degree day ain't fun....I was 15 miles from home.

p.s. I've had a physics class or two.
Old 11-29-18, 07:39 AM
corn on the cog 

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Int'l, ~1973 Motobecane Grand Record, ~1980 Fuji S-12-S, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
For urban commuting, I’ve been using PowerGrips. One bike is set up with them on both pedals; another has trad clip & strap on the left, PowerGrip on the right (so left foot is strapped in snugly, but right foot can quickly reach ground at a stoplight). This works well with all sorts of relatively minimalist shoes, from old-school Sidis to Vans.
Old 11-29-18, 07:59 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
I've used clipless for over five years now, but am seriously thinking about going back to either toe clips or powerstraps. I'm finding that no combination of cleat adjustment or even different shows prevent me from developing hot foot on longer rides. Additionally, now that it getting colder, my feet just don't tolerate the heat sink from shoe through the cleat to the pedal, despite the attempts I have made to insulate. I'm also looking at pedal mods for my recumbent trike. Preventing foot suck makes it necessary to positively fix your feet to the pedals. I currently run SPD pedals, but am exploring a number of different devices like heel straps.
Old 11-29-18, 08:22 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
That said, most people I see unclip the left foot at a stop. Which is weird to me here in the land of driving-on-the-right. With my right foot unclipped I can stand on the curb and stay in the saddle at stoplights.
I'm one of those unclipping my left foot. My reasoning is that most of the time when I stop there's not a convenient curb, but the crown of the road sometimes means it's a long ways down to the gutter on the right.

Do you say po-tay-to or po-tah-to?
Old 11-29-18, 08:38 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I live in Southern California. If there's no curb, there's probably no stoplight either. It also doesn't rain here, so our roads don't have enough crown to offer up a foot preference.

I've also watched people get on their bikes-- with few exceptions, the leg they swing over is the "not unclip" foot. I get on my bikes from the right, so my left leg (the one I don't unclip) goes over the top tube. I've tried getting on the other way. Hips don't work right.
Old 11-29-18, 12:33 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
The manual transaxle is the less complex option as it costs less to build and maintain and is much less hassle to use. The automatic transaxle is often more expensive and requires additional hassle in the form of additional maintenance that isn't required on a manual transaxle.
I don't think that's accurate though...automatic transmissions are easier for the driver to use, that's their whole purpose. The driver doesn't have to pay attention to what gear they're in or reach down and shift gears. They also don't have those "rolling backwards" issues on hills that manual transmissions have or have to shift constantly in stop and go traffic. Automatic transmissions are expensive. And I believe it used to be that automatic transmissions had reliability issues. By "used to be" I mean 10-20 years ago, but it seems like they're pretty reliable for the lifetime of the vehicle now, though you personal experience is limited to one car.

The closest analogy pretty close to friction shifters (I think that's the term) vs index shifters. Friction shifters require taking your hand off the bar and paying a bit more attention, but they continue working after cable stretch and don't really need any shop adjustment, you just adjust how much you're shifting them after changing the chain/cassette. The more commonly sold indexed shifters don't require taking a hand off the bar to shift but they require a lot of readjustments - first when you buy the bike when the cables initially stretch. Then if the cable stretch more later or if you replace the chain or cassette. Also I don't think they sell friction shifters for today's 9/10/11/12 speed cassettes.

I'd put that as a closer analogy. But with a car an automatic transmission is less hassle to use, that's the whole point of it isn't it?
Old 11-29-18, 12:39 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
...... Additionally, now that it getting colder, my feet just don't tolerate the heat sink from shoe through the cleat to the pedal, despite the attempts I have made to insulate..
Have you tried aerogel footbeds? Works wonders in the cold.
Old 11-29-18, 01:38 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Archwhorides
Have you tried aerogel footbeds? Works wonders in the cold.
Yes I have and they are a good improvement. The problem is that they make my shoes even tighter, which leads to other issues. I routinely shift to toe clips in Winter on my commuting bike, just so I can wear shoes that keep me toasty down to single digits (F), but have up to now retained the clipless pedals on my recreational bikes. Since I retired last August, I am putting most of my miles on recreational bikes hence the pondering over reverting.
Old 11-29-18, 03:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I still prefer a manual transmission, but I won't delude myself into believing they are still superior. Automatics are more fuel efficient and allow for better acceleration than manuals do, thanks to computer control. My wife's car is a 2004 Honda Element, hardly a high tech car, and I like the automatic. It shifts exactly when I would, which is good, because it's a big vehicle with a 4-cylinder engine. I imagine manuals are still better for traction in snow, but maybe not, now that there is computerized traction control. Hey, I even had a manual car that had that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-29-18, 04:01 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Really? I had always heard that automatics were less fuel efficient, mainly because of the extra weight.

I've owned a Saab in OH, I totally believe that computerized traction control is effective, and better than human drivers (unless you're on the pro rally circuit or something)
Old 11-29-18, 04:14 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Yes I have and they are a good improvement. The problem is that they make my shoes even tighter, which leads to other issues. I routinely shift to toe clips in Winter on my commuting bike, just so I can wear shoes that keep me toasty down to single digits (F), but have up to now retained the clipless pedals on my recreational bikes. Since I retired last August, I am putting most of my miles on recreational bikes hence the pondering over reverting.
When the thermometer dips below 20F, I switch from a mountain bike shoe with a neoprene cover and aerogel footbed to clipless winter biking boots. I have Lake MXZ 303 boots, my coworker has 45NRTH. Aerogel footbeds come pretty much standard with this gear class.
Old 11-29-18, 04:39 PM
reishi

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I like flats for city commuting- since I cant trackstand- I'm unclipping every 30-60 seconds on most of my rides around town, and there are lots of steep hills where I live. If conditions are wet, I recommend cages to prevent slippage.
Old 11-29-18, 09:45 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup
I recently had two examples on the same ride that reinforced my decision to use flat pedals, rather than clipless. It was 35 degrees and runoff from a storm from the previous day had created a number of puddles, some six inches deep on the asphalt trail. On two occasions, while riding very slowly, (I didn't want to get sprayed) the rear wheel slipped out from me. Very rapidly. I think the runoff had deposited a very thin layer of very slippery mud/silt. It was only ability to put that leg down quickly that stopped me from falling in that puddle. Being soaking wet on a windy, 35 degree day ain't fun....I was 15 miles from home.
Why do people think that clipless isn’t something you can get out of. Modern clipless pedals aren’t Cinelli Death Pedals. I mountain bike in clipless where clipping out has never been a problem even on narrow trails that cut across steep slopes. I can clip out on either side as needed and do it quickly enough that I don’t crash.

In your situation, I would likely have clipped out and put a foot done as well. But I might also have been able to use body English to recover the slip so that I wouldn’t end up with wet feet.

On the other hand, putting out a foot to catch yourself is more likely to just result in your foot slipping on whatever your tire slipped on. And, in all likelihood, your foot and bike are going to slip in different directions. That seldom ends well. I’d rather be wet than be broken.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-30-18, 02:47 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Why do people think that clipless isn’t something you can get out of. Modern clipless pedals aren’t Cinelli Death Pedals. I mountain bike in clipless where clipping out has never been a problem even on narrow trails that cut across steep slopes. I can clip out on either side as needed and do it quickly enough that I don’t crash.

In your situation, I would likely have clipped out and put a foot done as well. But I might also have been able to use body English to recover the slip so that I wouldn’t end up with wet feet.

On the other hand, putting out a foot to catch yourself is more likely to just result in your foot slipping on whatever your tire slipped on. And, in all likelihood, your foot and bike are going to slip in different directions. That seldom ends well. I’d rather be wet than be broken.
Claustrophobia? Actually, that was my thinking too (for a long time) until I tried and got used to them.
Old 11-30-18, 03:56 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I just sped though this thread of only three days duration, and I was impressed by all the prolific cycle commuters who posted. I use clipless and like them.

FWIW, I did not see this explanation suggested:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…It reminded me of the brouhaha on the General Cycling Discussion thread, Do Cyclists Have a Negative Reputation?,” about the difference between a cyclist and a bike rider....
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Anybody who happens to be riding a bike at a given moment, or who intends to do so regularly, is a cyclist.
Originally Posted by Doge
Look at images from Internet search "people riding bikes" . Then search "cyclist"

One group all have cleats, the others mostly do not. The Internet knows

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-30-18 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-30-18, 04:45 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
On further reading, I noted the right vs left unclipping discussion. We have plenty of curbs and I unclip right. In fact, when I'm on the left side of the road, left foot unclipping seems awkward.

I first to thought about it when I started riding with a regular companion, and he always unclipped left.
Old 11-30-18, 04:52 AM
acidfast7
Banned

On further reading, I noted the right vs left unclipping discussion. We have plenty of curbs and I unclip right. In fact, when I'm on the left side of the road, left foot unclipping seems awkward.

I first to thought about it when I started riding with a regular companion, and he always unclipped left.
I don't ride clipless, but how I mount the bicycle has changed as I had switched to riding on the left hand side in the UK. I now swing my right leg over. In the US/UK/GER/DK/SE I would always swing my left leg over.

Also, I need to support myself on the curb in the city at stop lights, which is a pain in the ass with clipless in the winter or on the footrest at lights. When cycling around CPH last time, I've noticed that I've lost some right leg dexterity as my left leg has done this for the last 5 years (since moving to the UK).

Old 11-30-18, 05:16 AM
acidfast7
Banned

I don't ride clipless, but how I mount the bicycle has changed as I had switched to riding on the left hand side in the UK. I now swing my right leg over. In the US/UK/GER/DK/SE I would always swing my left leg over.

Also, I need to support myself on the curb in the city at stop lights, which is a pain in the ass with clipless in the winter or on the footrest at lights. When cycling around CPH last time, I've noticed that I've lost some right leg dexterity as much left leg has done this for the last 5 years (since moving to the UK).

Old 11-30-18, 05:17 AM
acidfast7
Banned

It's so important I posted it twice!
Old 11-30-18, 10:52 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Really? I had always heard that automatics were less fuel efficient, mainly because of the extra weight.

I've owned a Saab in OH, I totally believe that computerized traction control is effective, and better than human drivers (unless you're on the pro rally circuit or something)
I believe more energy was lost in the automatic because of slippage and complexity, and also the shift points were not always optimized for fuel efficiency. I'm under the impression that computerization has pretty much solved these problems. Humans can no longer shift as intelligently as the new automatics. At least that's what I've heard. Not only that, automatics used to have fewer gears than manuals, and that's not true any more, either. I rented a Kia Soul with a 7-speed automatic.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-30-18, 10:54 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Right, that's another thing I remember from the past, automatics used to be only 3 speeds, whereas a commonly-available 5-speed manual allowed better gear ratio selection. But now automatics have more speeds. My 2013 Nissan Quest minivan has a continuously-variable transmission. (The manual for that says it is not good to shift in and out of neutral while driving, which I do in my 5sp manual Golf all the time to hypermile, and even used to do in my previous Honda Odyssey minivan)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.