Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

ever cause an accident?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

ever cause an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-12, 10:55 AM
b_twill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ever cause an accident?

I've always wondered as I watch cars as I watch cars zip around me and playing chicken with me and the on coming traffic...has any one ever caused an accident? A car stopped suddenly because they didn't see you and get rear ended, side swipe on coming traffic as they tried to pass?
Old 10-01-12, 11:08 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,357 Times in 863 Posts
I was at a crosswalk, wet streets, large SUV stopped to let me cross,

Operator of smaller SUV was not attentive, too late, hit the brakes,
hydroplaned their locked wheels into the back of the larger vehicle.

then I crossed the 2 lanes, safety Island, and 2 more lanes..

was I the cause ? I'd say the #2 SUV driver, was the person who was paying insufficient attention, creating their own problem..

A year earlier in downtown [one way 2 lanes], at night, a car stopped
for an elderly person to cross, .. in the crosswalk

the car behind them changed lanes , accelerated , and struck and killed
the pedestrian, the car in front of them was waiting, for the old dear, to cross..

I wait for vehicles in both lanes to stop, or be obviously slowing down..

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-01-12 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 11:15 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5234 Post(s)
Liked 3,606 Times in 2,357 Posts
was riding a MUP in a vacation area and I was suited up in bright colors and had my commuter strobe going, and possibly my old flag before I got rid of it. I was n't going fast cuz there was a series of driveway crossing that didn't have traffic but I slowed down quite a bit because there were also many riders that day. a Mom & Dad with their young son on his 1st 2-wheeler are coming toward me. there's plenty of room but the little boy looked up for a moment and saw me and got all distracted and just lost it and fell at low speed. I felt bed like if I wasn't so obnoxiously visible I wouldn't have distracted him so much. I've toned it down quite a bit when I'm on a MUP now. the flag is long gone, the strobe doesn't get used on the MUP but I still where a bright shirt, but that's reasonable I think.
Old 10-01-12, 11:18 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I don't claim one iota of responsibility for this, but one day while riding in a rain/sleet/snow combination, a car passed me, then just up ahead stopped for a pedestrian at a crosswalk. A second car just behind the first one didn't stop in time and rear ended the first car. I don't know for sure, but I suspect the driver of the second car was distracted by the sight of a cyclist riding in such conditions (me).
Old 10-01-12, 01:16 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,725 Times in 2,541 Posts
I was driving down a 4 lane highway and realized there was a dump truck stopped in the lane in front of me. I changed lanes and the suv behind me drove straight into it. Does that count?

I keep waiting for one of the idiots that crosses the center line into oncoming traffic to pass me on my bike to have a head-on collision, but the opposing traffic has always managed to avoid, sometimes into the ditch
Old 10-02-12, 09:56 AM
Telly
What, me worry?

Bikes: Corratec / Jamis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Even though this was a looong time ago, it was an accident, unfortunately quite serious but with minor injuries to others; totally my fault, even though I didn't mean to cause it, and this kept me from riding a bike for nearly half a decade:

Back in the late 70's when I was around 8-9 yo, I wanted to own and ride a bike, but my family was afraid since we lived on a hill with a large volume road at the bottom. Being at that age and not taking "no" for an answer, I managed to talk a neighbor into selling me his old bike (same age as I was) which was in horrible condition with no front brakes and a sketchy coaster which sometimes worked.
For the most part I managed to stay out of trouble with a few nicks and cuts and minor complaints from neighbors for bumping into their cars (lack of brakes!); AND concealing the actual bike from my family by leaving it at a friends garage!

Until... one summer afternoon while riding around the neighborhood with friends, I lost control of the bike on the large downhill, manage to slide off the saddle and fall back before having the bike careen onto the main road and cause a three car fender bender. The police, of course, were summoned and I ended up going for a ride to the local precinct with my mother (which knew nothing of me owning a bike!) and we (she) ended up paying quite a lot of money for all the damages to the cars.

I think I'm still grounded for that incident, and have regretted causing it and putting other peoples' lives in danger...

BTW, if there's anyone here that had a three car fender-bender in Babylon County back in the 70's than it was probably me!

Last edited by Telly; 10-02-12 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-02-12, 09:59 AM
Commodus

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm constantly amazed that the idiots passing me around blind corners survive the experience. Like unter up there, opposing traffic has often had to take some drastic evasive action.

But no, none yet.
Old 10-02-12, 12:14 PM
eofelis 
The Rock Cycle

Bikes: Salsa Vaya Ti, Specialized Ruby, Gunnar Sport, Motobecane Fantom CXX, Jamis Dragon, Novara Randonee x2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 6 Posts
Not on a bike, but one day a long time ago I was walking down a sidewalk in town and for some reason I started watching a car that was driving down the road toward me. Maybe the driver was staring at me, I kept staring at him. There was nothing remarkable about either of us. Except that the car then proceeded to drive over the curb and into a planter that I had just walked past. There was nothing aggressive about it, just distraction maybe. <shrug> I don't recall if I checked to see if the driver was ok.
Novara Randonee x2
Motobecane Fantom CXX
Jamis Dakar XCR
Old 10-02-12, 12:22 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
No
Old 10-02-12, 01:08 PM
Capt_Sensible
Capt Sensible

Bikes: Kona Sutra, Cramerroti 650C

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple of instances spring to mind.

1. This was about 10 years ago. I was crossing a busy 4-lane urban street; traffic was slowing for a red light a block away. An SUV stops to leave me a gap to cross and gets rear-ended by the car following. Similar to others relating similar situations, I don't feel any responsibility for this one. The driver of the following vehicle was inattentive and bears full responsibility.

2. This was in the last few weeks. No collision but a close call. I was on a moderately busy 2-lane suburban street, taking the lane as I approached a 2-way stop sign. A taxi was following behind me and decided he'd pass me at the stop sign on the wrong side of the street. As he was doing this he started moving over to the right and into me. I responded to this by thumping his door with the flat of my hand to prevent him from hitting me. I stopped at the stop line but the taxi proceeded straight through, still on the wrong side of the street, and into the path of a vehicle on the cross street. Much screeching of tires, blaring of horns, and yelling followed, before everyone went on their way in separate directions. Again I don't feel that I bear primary responsibility for this situation as the taxi driver was making an illegal and dangerous pass. However, I do wonder if my banging on his door panel distracted him from noticing the oncoming vehicle. And if there had been a collision whether I would've been judged to have been at least partially at fault.
Old 10-02-12, 01:21 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 2,573 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I keep waiting for one of the idiots that crosses the center line into oncoming traffic to pass me on my bike to have a head-on collision, but the opposing traffic has always managed to avoid, sometimes into the ditch
I appreciate it when drivers see me and give me a little room as they pass, but sheesh -- you don't need to completely leave the lane, dude.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-02-12, 01:53 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Sort of.

I was going down a short hill, in the proper part of the lane. Just ahead of me, a girl on a bicycle was going at the same speed on the sidewalk.

At the bottom of the hill was an alley with a stop sign. Suddenly, a car came out of the alley. The car stopped and because there was on-coming traffic, namely me, they remained stopped. The poor girl on the sidewalk couldn't stop in time and went into the car's fender and rolled right over the hood of the car.

When the police arrived, I had to testify against the girl on the bicycle. The driver did no wrong.

And people think riding on the sidewalk is safer.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 10-02-12, 02:18 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by b_twill
I've always wondered as I watch cars as I watch cars zip around me and playing chicken with me and the on coming traffic...has any one ever caused an accident? A car stopped suddenly because they didn't see you and get rear ended, side swipe on coming traffic as they tried to pass?
No, though I've had people pass me unsafely. Neither of the scenarios you mention would be caused by me, but by the other drivers -- the tailgater in the first, and the unsafe passer in the second.
Old 10-03-12, 12:08 AM
kookaburra1701

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Dolce Triple, 1987 Schwinn Tempo, 2012 Windsor Kensington 8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
A year earlier in downtown [one way 2 lanes], at night, a car stopped
for an elderly person to cross, .. in the crosswalk

the car behind them changed lanes , accelerated , and struck and killed
the pedestrian, the car in front of them was waiting, for the old dear, to cross..

I wait for vehicles in both lanes to stop, or be obviously slowing down..
A volunteer firefighter in Florence was just killed by a driver doing the same thing. The very next morning I stopped at the crosswalk (there were still...smears... on the road from the accident the night before) to let a woman and two kids cross. The traffic in the center lanes never stopped. Unbelievable.
Old 10-03-12, 09:38 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Just a couple weeks ago, driving my wife's car, I was going about 5 mph under the speed limit in the right lane of a 7 lane surface street, but still passing the traffic, and the driver in the large SUV in the center lane decided to start changing lanes right into me. Of course, he started moving over before he 1) signaled, or 2) looked, so when I honked the horn, it startled the driver enough that (s)he over-corrected, spun 180, and wound up in the middle of the left turn lane facing the opposite direction.

I suspect the driver was 'distracted', since a little honk is not usually enough to startle someone that much.
Old 10-03-12, 07:27 PM
Commuter_Dan
DanG

Bikes: Specialized Hard Rock, Specialized Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once a friend and I were riding single file up a slight hill on a two lane road through a village. A large pick-up passed me and moved over toward the center double-yellow line as it did so. Unfortunately, there happened to be another pair of bicyclists also riding single file over the hill toward us, and another large pick-up passing them at the same time. Both trucks squeezed toward the center as they passed the bicyclists and their drivers-side rear view mirrors neatly removed each other. There was much swearing, but no other damage done. I suppose I contributed to the collision, but I can't claim responsibility for the drivers' choices to squeeze through rather than pause briefly.
Old 10-03-12, 08:20 PM
PatrickGSR94

Bikes: 2011 Felt Z85 (road/commuter), 2006 Marin Pine Mountain (utility/commuter E-bike), 1995 KHS Alite 1000 (gravel grinder)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I appreciate it when drivers see me and give me a little room as they pass, but sheesh -- you don't need to completely leave the lane, dude.
This. I always ride to the right on the bike when I hear traffic coming and it's safe for them to pass, or walk/run to the far left facing oncoming traffic. Yet so many people completely leave their lane or move allll the way over and give like a 10-foot berth. Makes me feel like I'm being a nuisance sometimes even though I KNOW I'm not.