Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Considering Commuting: How far is too far?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Considering Commuting: How far is too far?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 09:34 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Rode in 25 miles this morning. Took about 1.5 hours at a nice, relaxed pace. 15 miles on the C&O Canal Towpath and the rest on paved MUP. Very nice ride, but conditions were ideal in the 60s, light wind and no humidity. Usual commute is 15 miles, so this added quite a bit. Must say, commuting 3 hours per day would probably not be doable on a regular basis. Physically, no issue, but 3 hours devoted to cycling every day is simply too much time.
Old 08-05-13, 12:23 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts
LIke most people said it's all about time. If you have the time it takes you to ride that far before and after work, go for it (assuming that you know that you CAN ride that far). It would take me three hours to ride one way to work these days. Not practical.

2023 Salsa Journeyer
2023 Rad Rover 6
1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing) RIP
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix RIP
Old 08-05-13, 12:30 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
OP~ that sounds like a great commute. I did 17 miles for a couple of years, not year round and not everyday but 17 was doable. we moved to a 13 mile office and that was what I think of as ideal and did it year round and most days of the week, but that was all roadway and traffic lights, and everything that goes along with it. if I had a 17 mile commute mostly paved path that could easily compete with 13 miles on the streets. in my opinion 10 -17 miles in one thing - less than that it's another thing. I moved to an apt 6 miles from work and it wasn't worth the bother to bike commute. 6 miles was just too short and not even a workout.
Old 08-05-13, 08:58 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
My usual commute is 15 miles each way, which takes 45 minutes to an hour.
My commute is about SIX miles each way and it takes 45 minutes to an hour. Another variable in the equations might be what kind of bike he has. A 17-mile trip for me would be tough because it would take me almost two hours. A six-mile trip of an hour can be done handily. If a person could get a combination of fitness level, style of bike, route planning, and get the 17-mile trip down to an hour, that might be equivalent to my trip of an hour. I do notice that the few bikers I see on my way to work all pass me.
Old 08-05-13, 09:52 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
I often think about trying the 19 mile ride to work, but I'm just not a morning person and can't summon up the will to get up that much earlier. It's not just the extra riding time, but the time to shower and dress at work that dissuades me. Seems like that would be sort of an annoyance as well, with the shower at the far end of the complex from my office. OTOH, it does seem silly to drive home from work and then ride the same distance for recreation.
Old 08-06-13, 06:28 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Originally Posted by swwhite
My commute is about SIX miles each way and it takes 45 minutes to an hour. Another variable in the equations might be what kind of bike he has. A 17-mile trip for me would be tough because it would take me almost two hours. A six-mile trip of an hour can be done handily. If a person could get a combination of fitness level, style of bike, route planning, and get the 17-mile trip down to an hour, that might be equivalent to my trip of an hour. I do notice that the few bikers I see on my way to work all pass me.
I started commuting with a MTV w knobby tires but eventually evolved to a road bike with slicks but it was a long, ignorant, expensive & arduous evolution