Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

So I just installed Mr. Tuffy's Tire liner...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 04:01 AM
CyclingVirgin

Bikes: 1991 Trek 5200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will be commuting 5-10 miles everyday now that I finally got in my shoes but wanted to 'toughen' up the bike. I have read a little about them and the fact that Amazon had them for $12 didn't hurt either. Wanted to upgrade the tires but I found this a more affordable path.

Has anyone tried these liners before?

Goods?

Bads?
Old 02-10-13, 04:21 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The overlap section might chafe your tube. Use lots of baby powder and
sand it down a little-- use a strip of duct tape on the sharper edges.
k:
Old 02-10-13, 04:25 AM
xenologer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Havent run them myself (I prefer the tires theselves to have an integrated armor layer).
But I've fixed flats on customers bikes that had these in them. (which says something about them already)

The edges of the liner can damage inner tubes; sand down the cut edges, keep your tire pressure up to avoid any squish-induced migration. That should help your odds.

save up for aramid/kevlar lined tires; makes more sense to have the armor layer on the outside right?
analogy; mr tuffy is like having buckets in your attic to catch drips from a leaky roof -the roof already has a hole though
Old 02-10-13, 04:42 AM
stdlrf11
Living the Dream

Bikes: 2015 AWOL Frameset with custom drivetrain, 20?? Windsor Tourist, 2010 Specialized Secteur

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Same as above. They gave me more flats than they saved me.
Old 02-10-13, 04:44 AM
-=(8)=-
♋ ☮♂ ☭ ☯

Bikes: Sngl Spd's, 70's- 80's vintage, D-tube Folder

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xenologer
H
save up for aramid/kevlar lined tires; makes more sense to have the armor layer on the outside right?
analogy; mr tuffy is like having buckets in your attic to catch drips from a leaky roof -the roof already has a hole though
This.
This is for another thread, but I think the tire situation of bicycling is yet another huge factor in keeping us from advancing.
Can you imagine buying a new car --circa 2013-- and knowing in advance they only supplied an item that was mostly unusable and pretty much only good for keeping the rims up off the floor? Its sadly ironic that companies gloat over their parts spec on bikes that come standard with what are universally known to be items that WILL leave you stranded, eventually.
Old 02-10-13, 08:59 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by -=(8)=-
This.
This is for another thread, but I think the tire situation of bicycling is yet another huge factor in keeping us from advancing.
Can you imagine buying a new car --circa 2013-- and knowing in advance they only supplied an item that was mostly unusable and pretty much only good for keeping the rims up off the floor? Its sadly ironic that companies gloat over their parts spec on bikes that come standard with what are universally known to be items that WILL leave you stranded, eventually.
However there are tires and tactics that we can use to make flats extremely rare. There are tires made by Schwalb and Continental (and others) that you can ride through a tack factory and won't go flat. Over a year ago I started a thread boasting about a stretch of almost 3000 miles without a flat, and several commuters responded with stories of years and years of flat-free riding. Currently, I'm at 7 years without a flat tire using Continental SportCONTACT in both 26 by 1.5 (on The Rig) and 700 by 32 (on the Black Knight bike).

If you keep the stock tires when you buy a bike, or keep buying the $10 specials at Gnashbar, yes flats will be common. But if you make the investment that saves in the long run ($50+ per tire usually) then riding is a lot less of a hassle and a lot less expensive.
Old 02-10-13, 09:44 AM
Mumonkan
Brown Jersey Winner

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
i used then in my youth on my bmx bikes, i dont recallever getting punctures but i still did get pinch flats from dropping down off stuff and jumps and general stupidity

i guess they worked?
Old 02-10-13, 10:02 AM
DVC45

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
It works for me. Just don't use it for high pressure tires.
I use 700x35 tires and pump 'em to 65psi. No ripped tubes issues.
Old 02-10-13, 10:05 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i use them on all my bikes. reduces number of flats for me, although things can go through them. like ten penny nails and schrapnel, but i get flats on the steel belted radials on my motorcycle too.

i remember using them for a while without getting a flat. when i got one i forgot to put the liner back in. within 100 yards, i got another flat. fixed it. went another 100 yards and got another flat. i thought WTF???

i eventually got about seven or eight flats within the next mile. i eventually realized that the liner had been preventing a lot of junk (thorns and glass debris, mostly) from getting to the tube. and when i inadvertently removed it, they all began a concerted attack.
Old 02-10-13, 10:22 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,220 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclingVirgin
I will be commuting 5-10 miles everyday now that I finally got in my shoes but wanted to 'toughen' up the bike. I have read a little about them and the fact that Amazon had them for $12 didn't hurt either. Wanted to upgrade the tires but I found this a more affordable path.

Has anyone tried these liners before?

Goods?

Bads?
I've been using them since shortly after they were introduced...back when we still ate mastodons...yum, mastodon steaks. While chafing of the tube can occur, the problem is rare in my experience. That's as long as you are using Mr. Tuffy and not other products.

A set of Tuffy's never wear out. You can change them from tire to tire and they will outlast a thousand sets of tires. They work particularly well in the goathead infested west. They may not be perfect...you can still get a flat...but then even kevlar doesn't stop all goat heats either. Tires that have the liner built in work as well but you throw away the liner each time you change the tire. The Tuffy's are more economical in this respect.

And tires with built in liners aren't perfect. This is a new tire...less than 150 miles...that split open from a impact with a rock. It was a relatively small rock and a minor impact. But I wouldn't trust the tire and had to ditch it.

A tire with a Tuffy liner would have shrugged off the impact without splitting the tread.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-10-13, 12:41 PM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by stdlrf11
Same as above. They gave me more flats than they saved me.
Yeah... me too. However, I was using the Nashbar brand in one case and that seemed to be the difference. I've never used Mr Tuffy's but have had good luck with better quality liners.

My final decision was to ditch the liners and ruin my life completely with Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires.
Old 02-10-13, 04:22 PM
CyclingVirgin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have lost allllll confidence with these liners now...Son of a gun...Should I return them?

For a second I did consider getting new tires (Wider and more for commuting) as I am running 700 x 20c Matrix tires but everyone has a different opinion on which is BEST...Then again I do hear a lot of great things about the Gatorskins
Old 02-10-13, 04:35 PM
mugicha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I run these liners on all my bikes along with conti gatorskins. Doing 7 - 10k miles per year for the last several years, the only flats I've been getting are valve failures and one sidewall rip (monster pothole).
Old 02-10-13, 04:57 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I use Mr Tuffy tire liners on all of my high volume/low pressure tires. They rock. All I do is sand the end, and put a piece of duct tape over it. In three years, not a single flat.

I can't say the same from the Slime brand tire liners. They should be outlawed.

I've been using built-in flat protection on my high pressure tires. I put in 3,000 mikes on a set of Marathon Mondials last year, with only one flat. And that flat as from the valve separating from the tube. Not a tire issue at all.
Old 02-10-13, 05:15 PM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have lost allllll confidence with these liners now...Son of a gun...Should I return them?

For a second I did consider getting new tires (Wider and more for commuting) as I am running 700 x 20c Matrix tires but everyone has a different opinion on which is BEST...Then again I do hear a lot of great things about the Gatorskins
I went with 25s on my 5200 and prefer the ride. As far as flats go though I don't have many and tire size doesn't seem to make a difference.
Old 02-10-13, 05:58 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by tractorlegs
If you keep the stock tires when you buy a bike, or keep buying the $10 specials at Gnashbar, yes flats will be common. But if you make the investment that saves in the long run ($50+ per tire usually) then riding is a lot less of a hassle and a lot less expensive.
Agreed.

However, I think it's a shame you have to throw out the stock tires because they offer no or very little flat protection. This is the reason why I use the Tuffy tire liner but only on the OEM tire. Once they are gone, I buy quality Schwalbe tires and put the tire lines in storage.
Old 02-10-13, 07:43 PM
CyclingVirgin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Darn! Maybe I should take the wheels apart again and sand down the sides... :/

I was thinking of putting on some 28s but feared clearance issues...what brand 25s do you have on yours?
Old 02-10-13, 08:32 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

I was thinking of putting on some 28s but feared clearance issues...what brand 25s do you have on yours?
Just use them. I doubt if you'll have problems.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-10-13, 09:42 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used Mr. Tuffy's. My experience was that over time they folded somehow inside the tire and formed a point, sort like the point you make when folding a piece of paper. Then, that point would wear away at the tube and eventually cause a slow leak. That happened twice. Now, I do realize that I don't have xray vision, so my analysis is is based on what they told me at the bike shop and what I saw of the tire liner after it was removed. But the "bottom line" as they say is that I had more flats with the liners than without. This spring, when I activate the summer bike, I am going to get the Scwalbe tires and see how they work. It certainly is possible that my liners were not installed correctly; I don't really know much about using them.
Old 02-10-13, 10:32 PM
erig007

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
2 years not a single flat
Old 02-11-13, 01:23 AM
CyclingVirgin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Just use them. I doubt if you'll have problems.
They are on the bike...I am going on a 15 mile ride on Friday but it's after my Wingate (experiment I am running for school) so we'll see how shot my legs are. ha!

Hopefully I don't get a flat cause if I do, those puppies are going to fly out of the tires and head right back to Amazon.com!
Old 02-11-13, 05:03 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to use them. These days I prefer a tire with built-protection. I can see the utility in using Mr. Tuffy's to make a weak tire suitable until you wear them out. The other utility I can see for them is goat head country. I've had goat heads go right through Vittoria Rando Pros that stood up to everything else. I've still got a couple of sets of them in the parts bin for when that eventuality arises again.

If you've already bought them, give them a try. Advice to sand them and tape them down is good. If you don't tape them down you have to be quite careful about not pinch-flatting yourself with them. I successfully used them for a couple of years to be able to ride all over the city here with them. I went from a flat every day, sometimes 3-4 flats a day, to it being a much rarer occurance. When those tires are worn out, I'd recommend going with something with built-in puncture resistance. I'd be willing to bet that if nothing else a good tire weighs a lot less than a tire+Mr. Tuffy's. I'm no weight weenie, but it really counts out on the edge of the wheel. It adds up. In addition, you won't have to worry about flatting yourself with the Mr. Tuffy.
Old 02-11-13, 07:37 AM
cyccommute 

They are on the bike...I am going on a 15 mile ride on Friday but it's after my Wingate (experiment I am running for school) so we'll see how shot my legs are. ha!

Hopefully I don't get a flat cause if I do, those puppies are going to fly out of the tires and head right back to Amazon.com!
In my experience, it takes several years and many, many miles (thousands) for the Tuffys to chafe a tube. I haven't experienced a chafed tube in at least a decade and I have them on all of my bikes. It's not something to lose sleep over.

Old 02-11-13, 08:07 AM
Ridefreemc

Bikes: 2017 Kona TI, 2016 Bike Friday Haul-A-Day, 2015 Bike Friday New World Tourist (for sale), 2011 Mezzo D9, 2004 Marin Mount Vision Pro - for now :)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

I don't think the 28s will clear the front fork on top-not sides, but I may be wrong. I think I have the Continental Grand Prix GT. I can check that later tonight though.
Old 02-11-13, 09:04 AM
squegeeboo

Bikes: Specalized Tri-Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used them since a little after getting into commuting, back in '06. I'm on my second set now, my first set went brittle around the edges and started causing me issues in the winter of '09-'10, and only once i switched them out to new tires. If you just check them when you swap out tires/tubes you'll know when they're aging.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.