Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

I know its annoying but bunny hopping.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 04:31 PM
kentishrookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry for the thread posted many a time I imagine but I have been really struggling. I've seen every bunny hop tutorial I can find and I practice everyday and I still can't get it. I have a link here of my attempt: https://youtu.be/Dp277FxWKOE my main issue is getting my rear wheel up as I can manual quite well. Thanks guys
Old 07-14-17, 10:50 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12781 Post(s)
Liked 7,696 Times in 4,085 Posts
You don't wanna get your ass that far back for bunnyhops.
Old 07-14-17, 11:05 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Old 07-14-17, 11:38 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,585 Times in 1,433 Posts
Let me give you a bit of a hint.

Go to your bike and lift it off the floor by the handlebars. Odds are you'll pick up the front wheel but the rear wheel will stay put until you lift the bike near vertical.

Now, without moving your hands from the bars, try to lift it so it stays horizontal. The trick is to use some wrist action to torque the bars and twist the rear end of the bike upward as you lift.

This will give you a sense of what you may need to do, which combined with trying to use momentum, first lifting your body, then as you approach the apex, pulling your feet up to pull the bike up by the pedals. Both techniques can work alone, but combining them works better.

Either way it's about timing, and using the fact that your body's momentum is many times greater than the bike's to advantage.

If you want to practice, bring an empty soda can to a parking lot. lay the can down and try to ride up to it and over without touching it. Odds are you'll crush a few cans before you clear it effectively, but once you learn how to hop over a can, the rest is all refinement.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 07-14-17 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-15-17, 03:01 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
I suggest a Ryan Leech video. He describes the bowl method which is a little different than previous suggestions. It has done wonders for my bunny hopping.
Old 07-15-17, 11:44 AM
hyhuu

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your timing is off. You should be standing up before he wheel reaches its high point. In the video, there is a delay so that by the time you are up, the front wheel is already on its way down. If you time it right, the rear wheel will gets off the ground by itself as you are standing up. Practice this part first then after that you can learn how to level the bike while in the air. Good luck.

Originally Posted by kentishrookie
Sorry for the thread posted many a time I imagine but I have been really struggling. I've seen every bunny hop tutorial I can find and I practice everyday and I still can't get it. I have a link here of my attempt: https://youtu.be/Dp277FxWKOE my main issue is getting my rear wheel up as I can manual quite well. Thanks guys