Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike Commuter's Revenge - Driving a Car!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bike Commuter's Revenge - Driving a Car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-14, 08:53 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's not stoop to name-calling, please.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 03-04-14, 09:17 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
^^^Sorry, my bad.

Originally Posted by noglider
...you flew off the handle for a reason I can't make out.
There are people here on BF and on every Web forum on earth who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[SUP][/SUP] by posting inflammatory,[SUP][/SUP] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, either accidentally or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[SUP][/SUP] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. [Part of this definition is from Wiki]

One indicator of such an individual is an enormous amount of comments on a forum with very few original threads that they started. This generally means that this individual has little to actually add in the form of quality content but much to add in terms of occupying their own time online as entertainment.

The individuals who are skilled at this technique can sometimes evade forum moderators for years. I actually have great respect for such skill and generally enjoy watching them work since I too on many levels like to disturb the comfortable.

I am just letting you know such persons exist here so you do not waste precious time responding to posts here (or anywhere) that are woven strictly to get a response.

Normally I just sit back and enjoy, but since I am the OP of this particular thread I feel it my duty to help keep it mostly on topic and help prevent my REAL responders from getting run off just because they post their FEELINGS and not FACTS.
Old 03-04-14, 09:29 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,470 Times in 1,435 Posts
JoeyBike, I've been online since 1982, longer than most people, by far. I'm aware of how things get on forums (fora?). Most people who inflame arguments don't tell themselves they intend to get people riled up and into arguments. I think in this case, ILTB has extrapolated B Carfree's statements and taken offense at something B Carfree probably didn't mean to say. We could call this bending over backwards to misinterpret, but I can't say for sure that this is going on.

I could say that bike commuters generally ride in a lawful way and others don't without meaning to say that bike commuters are "better people" in some way. But ILTB seems to think that some sort of affront has happened. I don't see it. His eagerness to argue is something I don't need to understand. I've seen it enough. Sometimes a little rational discussion can calm a person down. Sometimes not.

I do not feel bike commuters have any kind of monopoly on orderly riding. Here in NYC, there are zillions of wrong-way cyclist, and many of them show signs of lots of experience on a bike. I'm sure there is a variety of reasons for the way they ride. I don't agree with whatever reasons they have, and I'm thinking of joining an activist organization so that I can help spread the word that wrong way cycling is inconsiderate at best and dangerous at worst.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-04-14, 10:12 AM
CbadRider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CbadRider
Let's not stoop to name-calling, please.

For those who didn't get the hint the first time around. This thread will be closed if I have to come in and do any more clean up.

Old 03-04-14, 10:46 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
For those who didn't get the hint the first time around. This thread will be closed if I have to come in and do any more clean up.
I always seem to miss the good stuff.

I can come at this as someone who drives and cycles and in the past several years have had several close calls with cyclists because they were not following the rules of the road and had even more close calls with motorists who did not seem to understand that they have to treat cyclists the same way they do other road users.

I drive at the speed limit and that makes me one of the slowest drivers on the road, our city has reduced the threshold where tickets are issued for speeding as it used to be 15kmh over and now it is 10kmh that will get you a ticket.

Motorists are pissed.
Old 03-04-14, 01:13 PM
neil

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
OK...now for the REVENGE!

I drive EXACTLY the speed limit, unless someone tailgates me...then I drive 2 miles UNDER the speed limit. I also stop completely at every stop sign. EVERY danged one. A maddening experience for all motorists unlucky enough to be in a rush behind me.

I confess that I am getting drunk on the power to MAKE motorists obey the speed limits and stop completely, at least once, at ever friggin' stop sign.

YeeeHaaa.
I drive like this, and I don't consider it revenge. Actually, if you tailgate me, I will keep slowing down until you back off or pass me. This, I learned in a defensive driving course...the closer someone is behind you, the more stopping distance you need (since you can't slam on the brakes), so you should drive slower.

I do get a sense of satisfaction when the lineup builds up, but I swear it's not a revenge thing.
Old 03-04-14, 01:27 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Shutting down one of Joey's cry for attention threads is a pretty good incentive for name calling.
Old 03-04-14, 02:13 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Shutting down one of Joey's cry for attention threads is a pretty good incentive for name calling.
Too late. Already passed 100 posts. My work here is done.
Old 03-04-14, 02:15 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
You always hit the nail on the head...
Old 03-04-14, 02:15 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Too late. Already passed 100 posts. My work here is done.
I'm confident that having to be you is punishment enough.
Old 03-04-14, 09:21 PM
CbadRider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And we're done here.

Closed.