Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Trainer realistic road feel - why important?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-18, 10:59 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts

I do structured workouts on a variable resistance dumb trainer utilizing power measurement from a power meter on my bike. Direct drive trainers, smart trainers, rollers, Et al. that provide realistic road feel are all well and good for those that have them, but I'm wondering why that is so important?

I have read the expert explanations about how different types of trainers provide different ride feel types, but I don't understand why that really matters all that much. Yes, this is correctly used to explain that when riding on traditional trainers one cannot hit the same power numbers because they require more consistent force on the pedals throughout the pedal stroke. But in reality, why does that matter if you are just training to build aerobic fitness anyway? I test my FTP when I come inside and adjust accordingly. Same for outside. What’s the problem?

Recent research indicates that "Souplesse" doesn't matter nearly as much as we have been traditionally led to believe.

One of the big selling points for all the new high tech trainers coming out is that they provide better road feel, under the premise that better road feel offers a superior workout. Is this substantive, or simply a way to sell cool new stuff? I have nothing against anyone who wants to use all this great new technology, but I am seeing a lot of people that are mindlessly drinking the KoolAid, and I’m not so sure how “necessary” it is.

Plus, I’m bored at work for once, so please discuss…
Old 12-04-18, 11:46 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
So I think there are two ways to view this. The first as you have described as simply for fitness purposes, the second I think is for those looking for a more realistic experience vs just “exercise”. The latter being preferable because they also get the exercise while enjoying a more realistic experience. People ride their bikes because they enjoy riding bikes. If it were just for exercise, there are numerous other methods that could be executed. Example, I used to own a high end spin bike that did exactly what you described. It was great for a little while, but I found it boring. It got to the point where I viewed it as a chore and did not look forward to riding it at all. I have since sold it and purchased high end floating smart rollers which allow me to actually ride my bike and gives me the same experience as riding outdoors. They same joy I experience riding my bike outdoors is replicated indoors especially when combined with Zwift, FulGaz, RoadGrandTours, etc. I look forward to riding my rollers just as much as I do riding outdoors and I get the benefit of exercise AND working on my bike handling skills on my actual bike. This translates to me going out of my way to ride when I return home late from work, am tired from a long day, which I would never do if I had that stationary bike. This translates to riding more than I would and getting more exercise than I would have.

Last edited by jadocs; 12-04-18 at 11:49 AM.
Old 12-04-18, 12:16 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The early stationary trainers I used to laughingly refer to as Flintstone trainers. You never really got any momentum and they didn't feel round. Clunky and nasty. Used wind resistance from the spinning wheel on the back to provide the drag. Ick.

I had a fantastic set of rollers years ago. Rather than the gantry looking things today, these had a deck to stand on while getting on the bike and only the tops of the rollers were exposed. Yeah they didn't fold up and slid under the bed, but they were nice. I had regular pedals (this was in the toe clip days) for the rollers. Not doing toe clips on rollers.

Now...my trainer has multiple "feels" if you will but in all cases the faster I go the more resistance I feel. Like outside, The faster I ride the more air resistance I have to overcome. And if I want I can add a climbing gravity feel. So, that's how I define road feel. And my easiest band is like rollers...and is great for high cadence work. Road, intervals, and climbing comprise the rest. I'm not into virtual stuff and I train at a cycling studio as well (train cyclists and triathletes) so I can also ride there at a very intense 45 minute workload. Some power bands slow my wheel faster, like riding into a head wind. My interval band is like riding into a 20mph headwind, I swear. LOL.

That's the long answer. I want to replicate different aspects of what I might do outside. To me that's "road feel".

Last edited by roadwarrior; 12-04-18 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-04-18, 12:38 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
I really think it boils down to effective flywheel weight and how that inertia can impact your pedal stroke and muscle fatigue (not to "smart" features). For me the different between a Cycleops Fluid 2 & a Wahoo Kickr (greater effective flywheel effect) is magnified at lower wattage/longer rides, like 2hrs+ Z2 thru Tempo stuff. Or out of the saddle, like a long standing "climb". The difference is less noticeable for high intensity/low duration work. And if you compared either to an 80's era squirrel cage "Turbo" there would be no contest

With properly set up fans I see no difference in 5m to 20m tests between a Kickr indoors and outdoors.
Old 12-04-18, 05:19 PM
MagicHour

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This. The heavier fly wheel has some inertia that needs to spin up and spin down, much more realistic feel and nicer to pedal irregardless of power than say an older or inexpensive magnetic trainer that just feels like pushing dead weight or like an imaginary hand or brake grabbing your wheel and slowing it down.

Originally Posted by Voodoo76
I really think it boils down to effective flywheel weight and how that inertia can impact your pedal stroke and muscle fatigue (not to "smart" features).
Old 12-04-18, 05:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I think the smart trainers next evolution will be to add a couple more road-feel attributes, namely: 1) Bring the 'rock n'roll' movement to a trainer. Standing up on a bike in a trainer sux when it's locked in and can't rock a bit side to side; and 2) Every few hours a needle needs to shoot out to puncture a tire so we get a flat-change break in our routine.
Old 12-04-18, 07:00 PM
Pirkaus
Coffin Dodger

Bikes: Motobecane Vent Noir, Lynskey R345, Serotta Nova Special X

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think the smart trainers next evolution will be to add a couple more road-feel attributes, namely: 1) Bring the 'rock n'roll' movement to a trainer. Standing up on a bike in a trainer sux when it's locked in and can't rock a bit side to side; and 2) Every few hours a needle needs to shoot out to puncture a tire so we get a flat-change break in our routine.
Your virtual partner flats and doesn't have a spare

My old Kenitic Rock N Roll works just fine for my old fat arse.
Old 12-04-18, 07:18 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
There are some products that one can mount their trainer to that that allows for movement while riding.

Old 12-04-18, 07:46 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4735 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62

There are some products that one can mount their trainer to that that allows for movement while riding.

https://youtu.be/J3VeWm4UGmI
Too much engineering... I just put mine up on the waterbed.
Old 12-04-18, 07:54 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Having gone from a Fluid 2 with power meter setup to a Kickr Core like Voodoo did was a night and day difference. I get on my new Kickr and feel like I can ride like I do outside. I can take it easy, ride hard, climb, chase people down, all of this in Zwift, and it feels real. On the Fluid 2 it always felt like I could beat the system, and if I wanted realistic efforts I had to watch the screen continuously to monitor my power.

I'm completely hooked on the thing. Now if only my sciatica would go away so I can ride... (Actually I do, it is the only thing I do that DOESN'T hurt.)
Old 12-04-18, 08:03 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62

yup. They're called rollers.
Old 12-04-18, 08:31 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
#1 and #2 you can already do on smart rollers...#3 not so much lol
Old 12-05-18, 09:11 AM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
I really think it boils down to effective flywheel weight and how that inertia can impact your pedal stroke and muscle fatigue (not to "smart" features). For me the different between a Cycleops Fluid 2 & a Wahoo Kickr (greater effective flywheel effect) is magnified at lower wattage/longer rides, like 2hrs+ Z2 thru Tempo stuff. Or out of the saddle, like a long standing "climb". The difference is less noticeable for high intensity/low duration work. And if you compared either to an 80's era squirrel cage "Turbo" there would be no contest

With properly set up fans I see no difference in 5m to 20m tests between a Kickr indoors and outdoors.
Okay guys, thanks for your input.

Central to my thinking on this is simply that I can hit all my target efforts on a dumb trainer and achieve what I am looking for (physiological adaptations) from an indoor workout when I can't ride outside. Bigger flywheels and more inertia don't change that. They may smooth things out, but in reality that does not really matter relative to doing a quality workout. Thus, the premise that smart trainers provide a better workout in and of themselves doesn't hold up.

However, if you are looking to replicate the outside riding experience because it motivates you to do a workout in the first place, then there is a lot of value in that and smart trainers really begin to shine. It is about motivation, not about improving the quality of the workout to produce better fitness.

Here is another thing to consider. Motivation from hi-tec gadgets has the potential to get you to do more and produce more fitness. But, is this causing some people to do too much too soon and burn out?

What do you see?

Last edited by Clipped_in; 12-05-18 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 10:18 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Part of my professional business career was software simulations of electric power plant control rooms. We made simulator / trainers for the operators to use to practice upset / failure modes and effects so that they would know what to do in the real world - millions of dollars to develop.

In aviation, airline and military pilots have flight simulators that allow them to get certified to fly new aircraft and flight against bogies. Those simulators are equal to takeoffs, landings. flight and combat - 10s of millions of dollars to develop.

If smart trainers and associated software and hardware reach the point that they simulate riding a bike in real world outdoor situations then there is no difference between simulation / fantasy and reality. Once parity is achieved, one can ask the same question about simulation or reality. Can one overtrain / burnout on simulation? Yes. Can one burnout or overtrain on the road? Yes.

IMO, it would be fantastic if the brave new world of smart training and video would provide real pack training skill sessions so riders could brake and coast and read the pack and if they make a mistake, crash out unharmed and do it again and again.

If I were to criticize indoor simulation on the bike is that it may be creating neuro muscular response that is NOT correct for the road and puts riders at risk in packs. But that is a big reach. I see over training and burnout risk equal inside and out.
Old 12-05-18, 12:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts

And that's exactly why I much prefer my resistance rollers to a trainer: the almost complete lack of a flywheel effect. I'm not after a realistic road ride. I can get that outdoors. On my rollers, I'm after outside-the-envelope training and the positive effects of same. I'm there to train, not to play. I want it to be more difficult, more technical, not less so. If you want a quick demo of the difference, try doing one-legged pedaling on resistance rollers, then the same thing outdoors. There it is.
Old 12-05-18, 12:20 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Originally Posted by Clipped_in
Okay guys, thanks for your input.

Central to my thinking on this is simply that I can hit all my target efforts on a dumb trainer and achieve what I am looking for (physiological adaptations) from an indoor workout when I can't ride outside. Bigger flywheels and more inertia don't change that. They may smooth things out, but in reality that does not really matter relative to doing a quality workout. Thus, the premise that smart trainers provide a better workout in and of themselves doesn't hold up.

?
My experience has been that trainers with more inertia do change how you may look at and use indoor training. Especially for longer lower intensity training. A 2 or 3 hr Z2/tempo/SS session on a good trainer leaves me physically feeling about the same as outdoors. That was not the case on older trainers, 2 hrs was a death march. You can add the "Smart" distractions on top of that as a slight positive, having to shift or stand & continually adjust your effort based on "terrain" or a virtual pack is often just enough distraction.

My training mix indoors is now much greater. Essentially interchangeable with outdoors, rather than being limited to HIT stuff so I could hurry up & get off the trainer.
Old 12-05-18, 12:56 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
And that's exactly why I much prefer my resistance rollers to a trainer: the almost complete lack of a flywheel effect. I'm not after a realistic road ride. I can get that outdoors. On my rollers, I'm after outside-the-envelope training and the positive effects of same. I'm there to train, not to play. I want it to be more difficult, more technical, not less so. If you want a quick demo of the difference, try doing one-legged pedaling on resistance rollers, then the same thing outdoors. There it is.
I agree that it can sometimes be beneficial to create functional challenges. Although I wouldn't want to build aerobic base on one legged drills.

My point was I can't get a "realistic road ride" outdoors pretty much every Monday-Friday. It's a real treat if I can get outside during the week any time of the year, I don't normally plan on it. For me equipment that makes indoors & out interchangeable has made it feasible to get back to a consistent schedule. It's been a game changer.
Old 12-05-18, 01:00 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Many are incorporating a rock and roll feature in their newest models.

Old 12-05-18, 01:05 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Here's the thing: training indoors can be one of the most mind numbing activities associated with our sport and yet it is also one of the MOST effective ways of actually training in terms of benefit for time spent.

A "road feel" doesn't f'n help anyone train at all. It keeps people from wanting to kill the trainer or themselves when they ride it. It's nice to be able to stop pedaling while riding a trainer and not have it immediately stop. It's nice to have it seem to accelerate when riding downhill in a simulator,,,,,but no it doesn't help you with training.

If you have the mental fortitude to endure training on any indoor trainer or specifically the one you already have then you're set. It's really that easy.

....and before anyone says there are actual benefits to riding a trainer that give you a road feel (excluding rollers) hasn't been on one of those early spring rides or races where everyone all of a sudden forgot how to handle their bike.

Old 12-05-18, 01:31 PM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
I have a Kurt Kinetic and never ridden a smart trainer so can't compare but I think it depends. I only do intervals and VO2 max workouts on the trainer and never spend more than 90mins and never more than 2-3 times a week. KK pretty much takes care of the job in my case.

Second, I take the trainer with me to races for warm-up. It's very portable and I just fold the legs and put it in the trunk. Easy. I can't really throw around a $1000+ trainer like that.

Third, there's a huge cost difference that I can't justify for reasons above. Having said that, I just purchased a wahoo desk for $250 and think it's probably the best investment that I made.

I have friends who own Kickr and every one of them love their trainers. However, so do my other friends who own traditional trainers. I owned a $100 trainer (tho w/o power data) before my KK and that worked just fine too.

I believe the priority when exercising on the trainer is not the road feel but to work your body physically at a certain intensity for a certain amount of time. I know what a VO2 max or a sub-treshold effort feel like and it really doesn't matter for me as long as some consistent power, cadence etc data are flowing to the screen in front of me. Hope this helps.
Old 12-05-18, 01:58 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I use an Kurt Kinetic traditional trainer for indoor work and sometimes put a roller warmup on the front end of a trainer workout. I use rollers at the track for warmup and warm down.

I do indoor workouts when the SoCal weather does not cooperate which is not very often. Also, I will do a trainer workout because the interval sequence is not conducive to local terrain. A great example of this is recovery rides or cadence drills. I derrate my road FTP to compensate for differences between the trainer and the road.

Evan though riding the trainer or rollers trains energy producing systems, muscle recruitment may be different such that it may NOT translate to the road. If one wants speed on the road then one has to ride on the road in the correct position on the bike and pay attention to wind and terrain. On the trainer, I always do the harder part of any effort in the drops - more speed. I practice everything on the trainer including bent elbows and turtling my head for better aerodynamics. Another thing I do is generally higher cadence on the trainer. One can always spin slower but one has to train to spin faster.

Last edited by Hermes; 12-05-18 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 04:01 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Many are incorporating a rock and roll feature in their newest models.
There is a whole cottage industry built up around “Rocker Plates” for existing trainers
Old 12-05-18, 04:33 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I've got to look into the new generation of trainers, but some cost $2000 (Peloton) which seems ridiculous to me. I'm using a 15 year old hydraulic resistance trainer from Performance, that can produce enough resistance to ride standing in a 50/12, but it is very unlike the real road. I used the trainer for rehab after two knee replacements. I quit cycling back in 2010 and hadn't been on it for about 7 years. I noticed that my cadence was really low, like 75 rpm felt fast, when I used to do 110 on occasion. After getting back on the road this year, I found that even though I'm 65, I can still spin 110 if the conditions are right. I'd like to have a trainer that didn't feel like I'm climbing all the time, but since I do a lot of hill climbing, it's still relevant training.
Old 12-05-18, 04:55 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10170 Post(s)
Liked 5,863 Times in 3,155 Posts
I’ll take any structured workout on a dumb, stiff, fluid-resistance trainer, with something absorbing to listen to, over the same workout in the finest 50 M pool any day.
Old 12-05-18, 05:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Here's the thing: training indoors can be one of the most mind numbing activities associated with our sport and yet it is also one of the MOST effective ways of actually training in terms of benefit for time spent.

A "road feel" doesn't f'n help anyone train at all. It keeps people from wanting to kill the trainer or themselves when they ride it. It's nice to be able to stop pedaling while riding a trainer and not have it immediately stop. It's nice to have it seem to accelerate when riding downhill in a simulator,,,,,but no it doesn't help you with training.

If you have the mental fortitude to endure training on any indoor trainer or specifically the one you already have then you're set. It's really that easy.

....and before anyone says there are actual benefits to riding a trainer that give you a road feel (excluding rollers) hasn't been on one of those early spring rides or races where everyone all of a sudden forgot how to handle their bike.
Hah. It gets worse and worse every spring with more people on Zwift.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.