Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-19, 03:22 PM
littlevikingca

Bikes: Kona Sutra, BMC SLX-01, BMC CX-1, Ridley Fenix, Claud Butler European, '50's Humber Roadster, '53 Rudge Pathfnder, '94 Trek 930, '48 Rochet Super Special, 60's A. Boisis "demi-course"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
My Three Speeds...

Well, I've got the mandatory number of posts in so.-here are the three speeds in my life:
:
1973 Raleigh Colt

Mid-'50's Humber, repainted at some time in the past, with Raleigh replacement crankset, to be replaced with correct Humber "maypole dancers" chainwheel. The chrome is excellent on this bike. This one obviously has drum brakes and "Canadian" 28" wheels (700C), with the rear hub being a 36 spoke unit so I'm not sure whether they were replaced at some time. Ugly blue duffle bag has been replaced with a Carradice bag and the bike has been in continuous use this Autumn

1953 Rudge Pathfinder - this one was well-loved by the previous/original owner, to the extent of painting the headlight and some of the Sturmey Archer bits with silver paint - using acetone removed the silver paint and restored the headlight to it's original worn state. The fenders looked as though they had been painted with white house paint using a broom. With some rust, they warranted being refinished and have been stripped to bare metal. The balance of the finish is the original, gently cleaned, polished and waxed. I have a new seat on the way -the original is pretty frail and ripping at the rivets. Although it is heavy by modern standards (and even by 1953 "lightweight" standards, it is a greyhound compared to the Humber. Dynohub still works and the chrome is of a very high standard.

Cheers!

Dave K
Likes For littlevikingca:
Old 11-08-19, 04:06 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Raleigh "sprite" ? '76-'77?

Picked up to keep from the crusher, another Raleigh of unknown model/year; possibly a "Sprite", year unknown, but assuming mid '70s since I purchased from original owner who stated buying around 1974 ("OR SO"). I believe I saw a "similar" catalogue example for 1977 "Sprite" stating paint scheme option of green w/black. Not being familiar with the components; anything goes. Although set up with double chainwheel, it is operating as a 5 speed since there is no front derailleur mounted. Front brakes are missing, front gears shifter missing. Pedals are great both in function and details/lack of wear; Raleigh blocks and dust caps, but made in Germany (Union?). Original "Dare" grips, Atom hubs, Sturmey-Archer rims, rear brakes. Date code on front hub "21 76", rear hub "20 76". Assume bike to be a '76-'77 regardless of owner's recollections. I didn't get the story as to the missing parts. Odd part to me is the Gerry Burgess alloy stem, was this stock for that time period? Shimano indexing 5 speed thumb shifter (SL-TY37) is used with Huret "Allvit" RD; but what is original? I have a "Sprite" that uses Sun Tour stem shifters with RD, and Huret FD (OE parts?). Would like to bring back original shifting. Clean up, adjust, gift, or sell to cover costs ($40 or so). Keeping saddle, pedals, and stem for other projects. I have donor brakeset w/self-adjusting levers, B.72 saddle, various friction levers (stem or DT mount), and clamp-on FD's to complete this ride. Functionally perfect except missing parts, which apparently have been removed for a long time (nary a sign of an FD clamp). Dark green paint is apparent on rear of fenders, stays, and upper down tube where "GOWANDA" ("pop" reference) decal letters are placed; added (?).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20191108_120031.jpg (1.28 MB, 246 views)
IMG_20191108_120209.jpg (2.12 MB, 240 views)
IMG_20191108_120257.jpg (1.67 MB, 240 views)
IMG_20191108_120339.jpg (1.21 MB, 234 views)
IMG_20191108_120118.jpg (1.47 MB, 237 views)

Last edited by HPL; 11-08-19 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-08-19, 04:35 PM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Raleigh "sprite" ?

Not a 3 speed, but seems nearly identical to my '75 Sports; less hubs and fenders. More photos of the previous post.
Attached Images
IMG_20191108_120700.jpg (1.93 MB, 239 views)
IMG_20191108_120222.jpg (2.01 MB, 231 views)
IMG_20191108_120129.jpg (1.75 MB, 235 views)
Old 11-08-19, 06:24 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
That GB stem looks period correct, although I was always used to seeing those on Gran Prix's. My '73 Sprite 10 had a chrome steel stem that was very angular in design and absolutely straight on the top edge. Unfortunately, this bike is after my time at the bike shop, but I remember Huret equipped Sprites having Huret stem shifters. Definitely wouldn't have a Shimano bit on a Huret drivetrain.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Last edited by sykerocker; 11-08-19 at 06:48 PM.
Old 11-08-19, 08:31 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 443 Times in 288 Posts
Originally Posted by littlevikingca
Well, I've got the mandatory number of posts in so.-here are the three speeds in my life:
:
1973 Raleigh Colt

Mid-'50's Humber, repainted at some time in the past, with Raleigh replacement crankset, to be replaced with correct Humber "maypole dancers" chainwheel. The chrome is excellent on this bike. This one obviously has drum brakes and "Canadian" 28" wheels (700C), with the rear hub being a 36 spoke unit so I'm not sure whether they were replaced at some time. Ugly blue duffle bag has been replaced with a Carradice bag and the bike has been in continuous use this Autumn

1953 Rudge Pathfinder - this one was well-loved by the previous/original owner, to the extent of painting the headlight and some of the Sturmey Archer bits with silver paint - using acetone removed the silver paint and restored the headlight to it's original worn state. The fenders looked as though they had been painted with white house paint using a broom. With some rust, they warranted being refinished and have been stripped to bare metal. The balance of the finish is the original, gently cleaned, polished and waxed. I have a new seat on the way -the original is pretty frail and ripping at the rivets. Although it is heavy by modern standards (and even by 1953 "lightweight" standards, it is a greyhound compared to the Humber. Dynohub still works and the chrome is of a very high standard.

Cheers!

Dave K
A very nice collection.
Just the three?
I'm sure you've got room for a
few more...
Old 11-08-19, 08:37 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Originally Posted by HPL
Picked up to keep from the crusher, another Raleigh of unknown model/year; possibly a "Sprite", year unknown, but assuming mid '70s since I purchased from original owner who stated buying around 1974 ("OR SO"). I believe I saw a "similar" catalogue example for 1977 "Sprite" stating paint scheme option of green w/black. Not being familiar with the components; anything goes. Although set up with double chainwheel, it is operating as a 5 speed since there is no front derailleur mounted. Front brakes are missing, front gears shifter missing. Pedals are great both in function and details/lack of wear; Raleigh blocks and dust caps, but made in Germany (Union?). Original "Dare" grips, Atom hubs, Sturmey-Archer rims, rear brakes. Date code on front hub "21 76", rear hub "20 76". Assume bike to be a '76-'77 regardless of owner's recollections. I didn't get the story as to the missing parts. Odd part to me is the Gerry Burgess alloy stem, was this stock for that time period? Shimano indexing 5 speed thumb shifter (SL-TY37) is used with Huret "Allvit" RD; but what is original? I have a "Sprite" that uses Sun Tour stem shifters with RD, and Huret FD (OE parts?). Would like to bring back original shifting. Clean up, adjust, gift, or sell to cover costs ($40 or so). Keeping saddle, pedals, and stem for other projects. I have donor brakeset w/self-adjusting levers, B.72 saddle, various friction levers (stem or DT mount), and clamp-on FD's to complete this ride. Functionally perfect except missing parts, which apparently have been removed for a long time (nary a sign of an FD clamp). Dark green paint is apparent on rear of fenders, stays, and upper down tube where "GOWANDA" ("pop" reference) decal letters are placed; added (?).
Agreed.
The GB stem is worth $40.00 on it's own
Old 11-08-19, 08:47 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Well, I've got the mandatory number of posts in so...

Cheers!

Dave K
The Rudge fork crown wins the day every time. Nice collection.
Old 11-08-19, 08:50 PM
littlevikingca

Bikes: Kona Sutra, BMC SLX-01, BMC CX-1, Ridley Fenix, Claud Butler European, '50's Humber Roadster, '53 Rudge Pathfnder, '94 Trek 930, '48 Rochet Super Special, 60's A. Boisis "demi-course"

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gster
A very nice collection.
Just the three?
I'm sure you've got room for a
few more...
I do have a '51 lady's Lenton Sport underway (early stages) but I'm not sure whether that will be 3 or 4 speed. And a "basket case" Phillip's Phantom from another forum member (with a 4 speed FC) for which I've been accumulating parts -definitely English, but not necessarily 3-speeds.
Old 11-08-19, 09:03 PM
littlevikingca

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Thanks Clubman !

I really like the Rudge. I had to roll out some centre stand chain stay tube damage -they are somewhat better but nowhere near perfect -an unusual sectional modulus and possibly stress risers remain but I'm thinking that the stress levels remain within the elastic range. I'll watch for any issues and may explore having them replaced- it would have to be a decision based on the love of the bike rather than the value. It would likely open up a "can of worms" with the bottom bracket- I'd want a frame builder 's opinion.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 11-09-19, 06:01 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
Thanks Clubman !

I really like the Rudge. I had to roll out some centre stand chain stay tube damage -they are somewhat better but nowhere near perfect -an unusual sectional modulus and possibly stress risers remain but I'm thinking that the stress levels remain within the elastic range. I'll watch for any issues and may explore having them replaced- it would have to be a decision based on the love of the bike rather than the value. It would likely open up a "can of worms" with the bottom bracket- I'd want a frame builder 's opinion.

Cheers,

Dave
Pathfinders and Clubmans have always been the grail bikes I never found. Pretty much every roadster I've ever owned had chainstay damage from bolt on kickstands. True, the roadsters are Raleigh 20-30 not 531, but I've never had any kind of problem with them. I'd say it's only a cosmetic issue. You mentioned rust on the mudguards. I'm almost positive Pathfinders always had celluloid mudguards, but you never know with Raleigh. I think a bike this nice would be worth an expensive pair of Bluemels. Great bike!
Old 11-09-19, 07:02 AM
gster

Originally Posted by BigChief
Pathfinders and Clubmans have always been the grail bikes I never found. Pretty much every roadster I've ever owned had chainstay damage from bolt on kickstands. True, the roadsters are Raleigh 20-30 not 531, but I've never had any kind of problem with them. I'd say it's only a cosmetic issue. You mentioned rust on the mudguards. I'm almost positive Pathfinders always had celluloid mudguards, but you never know with Raleigh. I think a bike this nice would be worth an expensive pair of Bluemels. Great bike!
Does that mean that this Rudge Pathfinder has the EA1 rims?
I've developed a fondness for these Club Bikes as well.
There's something special that I can't define....
The geometry? The tubing?
They appear to be smaller, more precise
versions of their standard cousins.
I appreciate the silence of my fenderless Semi-Scorchers
but now that the weather's changed, my workhorse
Superbe has become my go to bike.
Here's a 1958 Superbe, for sale here in Toronto
for $200.00

I'm not sure whether it's missing the Dynohub or if it was an option.
Old 11-09-19, 07:09 AM
gster

Last edited by gster; 11-09-19 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-09-19, 08:55 AM
littlevikingca

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Big Chief,

Thanks for your comments on the chainstay damage -I'm thinking that I'll just monitor it before taking any expensive action. I believe that this generation of the Lenton family has hi-tensile chain and seat stays (only the main tubes are 531) so your experience is reassuring.

I agree re: the mudguards -the ones I've seen in the old adverts were all celluloid. I suspect that the steel ones I have are for "export". They have the spearpoint (similar to the roadster fenders) but with separate chromed stays (fixed to the fender with clamp bolts like the Bluemels). They were a creamy white colour. I suspect that Raleigh felt that the Canadian market expected steel (like the domestic competition CCMs).
Cheers,
Dave

I will refinish the steel mudguards to have the option of "keeping it original" . I have a later set of NOS Bluemel Populars in white that I could use to "keep it light (er)" and that would probably be a change an original owner might have made.
Old 11-09-19, 09:16 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by HPL
Shimano indexing 5 speed thumb shifter (SL-TY37) is used with Huret "Allvit" RD; but what is original?
Did the Huret come with red pulleys? I wonder if those are a good quality aftermarket piece.
Old 11-09-19, 09:20 AM
littlevikingca

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Hi gster,

Thanks for all of the information!

Yes, it has EA-1 rims. I have started to collect a few of these wheels and I have a number of NOS early Weinmann rims for "new" wheels, plus a small number of the Schwalbe 26x 1-1/4 tires. So far the steel rims have cleaned-up well and the sidewall dents don't materially effect the braking, so for the Rudge I'm leaving it original.

For my wife's Lenton, I may go with the 590 CR-18 wheels and a 26x1-3/8 tire. There is a precedent for these types of substitutions: I have a stash of 1920's to late '40's Cycling and Cyclist magazines. The 26x1-1/4 tire was THE sports option from the mid-'20's until the late '30's, The major manufacturers lightweight Club/racing versions were all 26x1-1/4 with lightweight roadsters using 26x1-3/8. Interestingly, lightweight touring bicycles from the "boutique" builders (Claud Butler, Evans, Grubb) tended to offer a choice of 26x1-1/4 or 26x1-3/8 depending on the client's preference.

That '58 Raleigh Superbe is pretty interesting. Looking closely at the rear wheel, it looks as though the dynohub is combined in the rear hub a Sturmey Archer AG if it is a 3 speed, FG if 4.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 11-09-19, 10:10 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
Less is more

Originally Posted by clubman
Goodness me, that Rudge Path Racer is a fine looking bicycle. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-09-19, 11:11 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
posted to wrong thread
eddyr

Last edited by EddyR; 11-09-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-10-19, 05:12 AM
gster

1959 Italian Legnano, fitted with a SA 3 speed hub.
Likes For gster:
Old 11-10-19, 05:24 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
for $200.00

Our scorchers and semi scorchers really are a good alternative to a genuine club bike. The one I made from a 55 Rudge junker turned out to feel very sporty and a blast to ride. The alloy rims and Tektro brakes made a big difference in the overall feel of the bike. I've found that modern lightweight saddles with a channel down the center are much more comfortable for me that the solid type. Not B66 comfy, but it's a scorcher. I'm beginning to think I prefer the 21" frame with a long stem over the 23" for scorcherizing. I'm planning on another scorcher build for that neat NOS S5 hub I have. Now, I have a 23" mid 70s Sports I got on the cheap but I just don't like it as much as the short frame Rudge. I think I might hold out for the perfect frameset to come along. Something messed up enough that I don't mind refinishing, post 1953 so it has the harder tubing and 21".
Old 11-10-19, 05:56 AM
gster

Our scorchers and semi scorchers really are a good alternative to a genuine club bike. The one I made from a 55 Rudge junker turned out to feel very sporty and a blast to ride. The alloy rims and Tektro brakes made a big difference in the overall feel of the bike. I've found that modern lightweight saddles with a channel down the center are much more comfortable for me that the solid type. Not B66 comfy, but it's a scorcher. I'm beginning to think I prefer the 21" frame with a long stem over the 23" for scorcherizing. I'm planning on another scorcher build for that neat NOS S5 hub I have. Now, I have a 23" mid 70s Sports I got on the cheap but I just don't like it as much as the short frame Rudge. I think I might hold out for the perfect frameset to come along. Something messed up enough that I don't mind refinishing, post 1953 so it has the harder tubing and 21".
I really like the "silence" of the Scorchers when riding.
Quiet except the soothing ticking of the hub.
I prefer a larger frame but have had several 21" bikes (raised seat and bars)
that were quite nimble and comfortable.
I still have a 21" 53 BSA Scorcher that should get some more road time.
Sounds like you're looking for a winter project.
That Windsor frame I bought has a somewhat stuck seat post and
I'll have to cut the spindle to get the BB apart....
It may stay that way.
Old 11-10-19, 07:20 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Our scorchers and semi scorchers really are a good alternative to a genuine club bike.
A genuine early club bike being one with a frame from 531, straight or DB? I slightly miss the different feel of the lighter tube set. OTOH, one of the contributors to Sheldon's website claims that for a touring bike he likes an old U08. The steel there is very similar to what's on the Raleigh Sports, and it being thicker resists dents more than 531. (Like on my old Trek. Ask me how I know.) But I think for longer and brisk recreational rides typical of club riding, as opposed to the utility riding that is most of what I do now, I like your 5 speed plan. The AW's big jump from gear 2 to 3 can be frustrating when I have the legs to keep up a faster pace but have spun out in 2 and 3 turns over slower than I've become used to after years of riding derailleur machines. Probably I would never think about it if I didn't have that modern experience. I'm envying ged117's FW hub. If a 36 hole version of one of those ever hits me over the head, either alloy or steel, I would probably go for it. Come to think, I don't even know if there is a 36 version of the FW.
Old 11-10-19, 07:23 AM
paulb_in_bkln

1959 Italian Legnano, fitted with a SA 3 speed hub.
Classy. Where did you see that?
Old 11-10-19, 07:26 AM
paulb_in_bkln

for $200.00

That seat and forward position! I can't look. But I can't look away, either.
Old 11-10-19, 10:40 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Huret Pulleys

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Did the Huret come with red pulleys? I wonder if those are a good quality aftermarket piece.
Not sure as to the originality of those pulleys. I have no reference other than the Sprite I have, and that has a Sun Tour RD. That being said, I have seen in catalogue images of Sprites with red pulleys (unknown if sealed or sleeve bearings) from 1972-78, I believe all used Huret derailleurs, so they did have red pulleys as OE for a few years. I've used an aftermarket set as replacement for Campy pulleys, Bullseye w/sealed bearings, which have performed without any issues for 30 years (with proper maintenance), probably better ones out there now (not counting ceramic); but I've seen cheap sealed bearing pulleys on the market for less than $8 a pair, alloy and "drilled" of Chinese build, quality unknown. I'll find out during tear down if the pulleys are original Huret or not.
Attached Images
IMG_20190416_110025.jpg (953.8 KB, 209 views)
Old 11-11-19, 12:44 PM
gster

Originally Posted by paulb_in_bkln
Classy. Where did you see that?
That's for sale in Ottawa on Kijiji at $750.00...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.