Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Clueless about Tubeless!

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Clueless about Tubeless!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-12, 08:41 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,478 Times in 3,223 Posts
Hey Op!

I waved at you last week and you didn't wave back!

What's up with that?
Old 02-17-12, 09:01 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by pmt
Be sure to Search the Forums; this has been hashed out already many times. Some of us have tens of thousands of kilometers on Road Tubeless and really like it, but we've taken the time to understand it. Most of the naysayers don't have much (or any) experience with it. Many of them were also the same people who pooh-poohed things like aero bars, STIs, and clipless pedals.
Are you serious?

First of all, this is absurd, unsubstantiated bull****. Secondly there is no reason to accuse anyone who voices doubt regarding roadtubeless of being unsupportive of well established and time proven technologies.

There's no reason to go off like that. This isn't personal, its a freaking piece of equipment.

If it is as awesome as you say, why is only Hutchinson making roadtubeless tires and the market penetration suffering, while nearly all MTB tires have tubeless models and many, many more MTB users have converted? If road tubeless will eventually be as ubitquous as indexed shifting, it sure is off to a rocky start.
Old 02-20-12, 04:57 AM
KoYak

Bikes: Iron Horse Warrior Expert, Dahon MU P8, Bacchetta Giro 26, HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After much research, I made the switch to tubeless. Last night, I mounted hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless on set of wheels with NoTubes Alpha 340 rims. From everything I've read on the forums, I thought these tires would be difficult to install but they mounted surprisingly easily. as a point of reference, the Fusion 3's mounted much easier than Continental gatorskins. I followed directions on the Notubes video . I mounted the front wheel first, and it looked like I had a slow leak, but the leak went away. I guess the tire must have settled in or the sealant did its thing.

I'll report back when I get in a few rides.
Old 02-20-12, 07:58 AM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure you'll love them. I'll be watching for your report.

Also let us know what you think of the Alpha 340 wheels.

Originally Posted by KoYak
After much research, I made the switch to tubeless. Last night, I mounted hutchinson Fusion 3 tubeless on set of wheels with NoTubes Alpha 340 rims. From everything I've read on the forums, I thought these tires would be difficult to install but they mounted surprisingly easily. as a point of reference, the Fusion 3's mounted much easier than Continental gatorskins. I followed directions on the Notubes video . I mounted the front wheel first, and it looked like I had a slow leak, but the leak went away. I guess the tire must have settled in or the sealant did its thing.

I'll report back when I get in a few rides.
Old 02-20-12, 02:07 PM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've seen several people say that only Hutchinson manufactures tubeless road tires. That is not correct.

I run IRC Roadlite Tubeless tires and I know Maxxis makes a tubeless road tire as well. IRC makes four different models of road tubeless. These aren't re-branded Hutchinsons like the Specialized tubeless tires.

Hutchinson owns the trademark for "Road Tubeless" so you won't see that exact phrasing used by other manufacturers, but there are other options out there.

https://www.irc-tire.com/en/bc/produc...l/roadlite_tl/
https://www.maxxis.com/Bicycle/Road-Racing/Padrone.aspx

Regarding sidewall leakage, my friend had this problem with a Fusion 3 tubeless tire. Hutchinson replaced it under warranty. He also had a Fusion 3 start splitting at the middle, also replaced under warranty. Not sure if Hutchinson had a bad batch or what, the ones I had were fine until I wore them out.

Last edited by ddimick; 02-20-12 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-20-12, 02:40 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
The Maxis Padrone had very, very poor reviews when it debuted. I don't know if it is any better now that they've been making them a while. The IRC is brand new... where did you get yours, Alex's Cycle in Japan?
Old 02-20-12, 03:13 PM
ddimick

Bikes: 2011 Look 566 Ultegra, 2010 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColinL
The Maxis Padrone had very, very poor reviews when it debuted. I don't know if it is any better now that they've been making them a while. The IRC is brand new... where did you get yours, Alex's Cycle in Japan?
No experience with the Maxxis myself so I can't say if they're good/bad/ugly. I do like the IRC Roadlite better than the Fusion 3. They feel like they ride better to me, but the difference is not a huge one. I've not decided if I'll buy another set after I wear this one out, they're about 50% more expensive. I did get them from Alex's in Japan and as far as I know they're the only on-line source. Your LBS might be able to order them.
Old 02-26-12, 07:54 AM
KoYak

Bikes: Iron Horse Warrior Expert, Dahon MU P8, Bacchetta Giro 26, HP Velotechnik Grasshopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrTuner1970
I'm sure you'll love them. I'll be watching for your report.

Also let us know what you think of the Alpha 340 wheels.
MrTuner1970, you are right! I love them!

I had a good cycling week for this time of year and got about 100 miles on the tubeless setup. Someone posted earlier that it takes time for the tire to completely seal and i have found that to be the case. The first night, the tires lost about 20 psi, the 2nd and third, between 15 and 20,and now losing about 5 psi every other day.

the ride is very smooth. much improved over the Michelin Krylion (23mm) and specialized tube combo at the same PSI 100 rear, 90 front. BTW - the i found the Krylion to be a fairly smooth riding tire at 100 psi. However, the Hutchinson @95 rear and 85-90 front, become a magic carpet. I doubt if there is any weight saving. Only time will tell about tire durability and sealant life, but I see no issues with changing the sealant ever 3-6 months.

As for the NoTubes Alphas 340 wheelset, they are built with the following:
Spokes: front 24 2x / back 28 3 x
Spokes: Sapim C XRay
Hubs: velocity race.

I ran this configuration through Prowheelbuilder custom wheel program and weight calculator stated a weight of 1256 g for the set. BTW - I bought these from a local builder. At 190 lbs I am probably on the heavy side for these wheels, but I REALLy wanted a light set of wheels. My goal is to lose another 30 lb this year so at that weight i won't be stressing these wheels as much. I've ridden them about 300 miles and I've only had the front wheel trued once after the first 100 miles.

My previous wheels were Aksiums, 1900 g (?) and velocity A23 Comp build, 1600 g, so this set is very light compared to those. dropping close to 750 g does wonders for climbing! Yep...these wheels feel like I can accelerate a lot quicker. If it's a placebo effect, I don't care, because i feel like I am flying. No brake rub, overall, i am very happy with these. But as with the tubeless setup, only time will tell with their durability.
Old 02-27-12, 11:42 AM
MrTuner1970
Underwhelming

Bikes: Lynskey R330 Ti, Dean El Vado Ti, Trek 4300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the report.