Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Chemical Hand Warmers?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-18, 12:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts

You guys have a preferred brand for chemical warmers?

I have some Heat Factory but they don't seem to work well. My guess is that they are old. Grabber seem to be good. Hot Hands didn't seem to last as long.

Do these things go stale? Do some sources provide fresher product than others?

-Tim-
Old 12-13-18, 02:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
curious too. haven't heard of Heat Factory. in my area Grabber & Hot Hands seem to have cornered the market. I've had a suspicion that if they are really old they won't work as well or as long. I've had a cpl duds over the years but I think I've gone thru all the old stock
Old 12-13-18, 02:38 PM
Wilbur Bud

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 31 Posts
I think it depends on your type and duration of ride. If you go all-day touring you may need to make sure the pack really runs the full advertised duration compared to say commuting 30-60 minutes one-way where you want to make sure you could at least seal it up in a ziploc in the morning to shut off the reaction so you could use it a second time at night on the way home, in order to keep daily cost down.

For myself, I've generally wound up with "Hot Hands" brand toe warmers, buy them a box at a time (or more) in order to get the cost down under $1 per pack, and then use them for my hands if needed, although generally my hands are fine at zero degrees F when double gloved while my feet still want the chemical pack between socks in an insulated boot. But that's as a commuter so I never test the continuous 8 hour value advertised.

typical 40 individual packs (2 to a pack) for $32:
https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Toe-...ds+toe+warmers

I think you'd do better (in terms of freshness) buying in bulk once per year, but wait until maybe January to make sure the prior year inventory is gone.
Old 12-14-18, 05:17 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
I gave up on chemical warmers. Too expensive, I have these.
Old 12-14-18, 06:36 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I buy the ones from Costco. I'm sure they're the same in U.S. as Canada. They work out to be about $0.50 per pack for the hand warmers, and $0.75 for the toes. I guess the extra adhesive adds to the cost. They work well enough for the trip there as long as I open them in advance, like at least 30 minutes, to let them heat up before using them.
Old 12-14-18, 07:38 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by John Nolan
I've seen these around and am interested.

How long does that one last?

Do you know if they will fit into the warmer pocket on a glove?

-Tim-
Old 12-14-18, 07:58 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

They seem to last a couple of hours. I charge them the night before if the forecast calls for them.

I don't know if they fit in a warmer pocket—I only use them inside mittens, when my mitts aren't going to be sufficient. If the weather is warm enough to consider gloves with a warmer, I would always chose to wear my mitts instead.
Old 12-14-18, 08:47 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
FWIW
last night while shopping for shirts for my Son at a neighborhood outdoor store I also picked up the following heat pack related items
1 HotMocs brand neck gator w 1 heat pack pocket (+ a complimentary pack of Hot Hands brand hand warmers listing 10 hrs of heat) $7.95
1 HotMocs brand headband w 2 heat pack pockets (+ a complimentary pack of Little Hotties brand hand warmers listing 8 hrs of heat (these appear smaller than the usual units) $5.95
a 10 pack of Grabber brand hand warmers listing 7+ hrs of heat $7.95 (approx $.80 per pair)
3 pair of toe warmers $4.47 (approx $1.50 pr pair)
after getting out of my gym I visited the Ocean State Job Lot store next to the gym which is not known for quality but sometimes I can find something useful. they hand a 10 pack of Narrow River Trading Company brand hand warmers listing 8+ hrs of heat $5 (approx $.50 pr pair)
the headband & neck gator might be good gift ideas but I don't think I would personally use heat packs in them)
it was interesting to read the instruction sheet that came with them

I think the business relationship between the clothing manufacturer & Hot Hands might be a good plug for that brand heat pack?

neck gator

headband

fine print on back of heat packs:

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-14-18 at 08:54 AM.
Old 12-14-18, 09:03 AM
roadsnakes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
You guys have a preferred brand for chemical warmers?

I have some Heat Factory but they don't seem to work well. My guess is that they are old. Grabber seem to be good. Hot Hands didn't seem to last as long.

Do these things go stale? Do some sources provide fresher product than others?

-Tim-
'
Before retiring, I worked outside all day at my job. Those were some brutal Wisconsin winters. I`ve used every brand over the years, and they none really stood out better then others.
But I did find you can`t stock up on any brand, then try to use the same batch the following year. Sometimes they worked, other times not.
So, buy what you can use this year, but don`t rely on any left over to work next year.
Old 12-15-18, 02:53 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by roadsnakes
'
Before retiring, I worked outside all day at my job. Those were some brutal Wisconsin winters. I`ve used every brand over the years, and they none really stood out better then others.
But I did find you can`t stock up on any brand, then try to use the same batch the following year. Sometimes they worked, other times not.
So, buy what you can use this year, but don`t rely on any left over to work next year.
The voice of experience is worth 10,000 guesses, theories and blog posts.

Thank you.

-Tim-
Old 01-11-19, 08:31 AM
heywood

Bikes: 2013 Brodie Section 8 , 2014 Easy Motion Neo City e-bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by John Nolan
same here.. I find the zippo ones very good.. my mini does 3hrs of good constant heat. I'm now tempted to get the larger size. Electronic ones seem to be a good solution too.. I may give them a try.
Environmentally the chemical ones would probably be a bit of a nightmare constantly having to replace them.
Old 01-11-19, 08:40 AM
John Nolan 

I never saw the Zippo ones before. They look good too.
Old 01-12-19, 12:11 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
The voice of experience is worth 10,000 guesses, theories and blog posts.

Thank you.

-Tim-
Chemical hand warmers shouldn’t have a shelf life. As long as they are protected from oxygen, they should last forever. They depend on a redox reaction that is based on conversion of iron to rust. However, a pinprick or even a microscopic hole will allow in oxygen and it will start the reaction. Bounce the handwarmer around in a pocket or bike bag for a few weeks and the likelihood of poking a whole in the bag increases significantly.

On thing I’ve noticed about the chemical handwarmers is that they need to be shaken at somewhat regular intervals so that oxygen gets into the mix and the reaction keeps going. If the warmer is in a boot, for example, it stops reacting quickly becuase it consumes all the oxygen quickly.

For what it is worth, there is another hand warmer option: reusable handwarmers. These use a supersaturated solution which crystallizes when you bend a tab in the bag. The crystallization releases a huge amount if heat. They do have to be boiled between super saturate the solution again. But they can be used many, many times. They aren’t as cheap as the iron ones but they can be reused.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-12-19, 02:32 PM
John Nolan 

Originally Posted by cyccommute

For what it is worth, there is another hand warmer option: reusable handwarmers. These use a supersaturated solution which crystallizes when you bend a tab in the bag. The crystallization releases a huge amount if heat. They do have to be boiled between super saturate the solution again. But they can be used many, many times. They aren’t as cheap as the iron ones but they can be reused.
I've tried some of these (but not that brand, these.). The ones I had didn't get warm enough to beat the cold on the days I really needed them, and it was kind of a pain to have to boil them. To make matters worse, one of them broke!