Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-21, 06:08 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10237 Post(s)
Liked 5,184 Times in 2,225 Posts
https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...alloway/n45830

seems relevant.
Old 02-02-21, 06:17 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10171 Post(s)
Liked 5,863 Times in 3,155 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex

Or our nation’s capitol for that matter. My saving grace is my commute being at 5:30 am and 4:00 pm. Have I have to be on the roads during “regular” commute, I think I’d be suicidal after 5 minutes of sharing the road with everyone who think they’re out on the glaciers of Iceland, trying to drive a sports cars with slick tires.
When we lived in the Boston area, each snowfall was an occasion for every ******* with a large AWD vehicle to go out and drive it in as aggressive a manner as possible, e.g., two inches from your rear bumper, until they claimed a life or slid unrecoverably off the road.
Old 02-02-21, 06:21 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Bikes: I've lost count.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 390 Posts
All this talk of technical medical science went right over my head. I mean I understood some of the words. The smaller ones at least. I now have the same glazed expression that people do when I tell them I'm an accountant and that it is fun and exciting.
Old 02-02-21, 06:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10425 Post(s)
Liked 11,899 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by gnome
All this talk of technical medical science went right over my head. I mean I understood some of the words. The smaller ones at least. I now have the same glazed expression that people do when I tell them I'm an accountant and that it is fun and exciting.
Story of my life. I generally let my wife translate for the common people.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-02-21, 06:43 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
When we lived in the Boston area, each snowfall was an occasion for every ******* with a large AWD vehicle to go out and drive it in as aggressive a manner as possible, e.g., two inches from your rear bumper, until they claimed a life or slid unrecoverably off the road.
Certainly, DC metro area has its share of those. I too, belong to the group of large SUV owners in fact.
The large portion of the reason I ended up in a large awd suv is having been stuck in DC traffic between them and being harassed for years on end.*

Second reason is to be able to have 4 teenagers and my daughter in there for car pooling, but having established reason 1 above, I was going to get a large awd suv anyway, but still, at least the third row seating got used till Covid shut schools down, so that’s something.

My gripe is with the drivers that drive 10 mph on Georgia Avenue, centering the lane divider (white lane, and once the double yellows) just because there’s a dusting of snow on the asphalt.

* Previous car’s roof line was below the window start line of many SUVs. Sigh, I do miss that car.
Old 02-02-21, 07:00 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28616 Post(s)
Liked 1,857 Times in 1,319 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Based on what I've been learning the last year or so, the promise of individualized medicine is just that at the moment - a promise.
Correct. It's trial and error at the witch doctor's for the foreseeable future.
Originally Posted by BillyD
Did you stock up on essentials before the storm?
I don't need much.
Originally Posted by genejockey
I can give you a good deal on paper towels that don't fit a standard paper towel holder.
How messy do you think I am?
We're also not nearly as good as we should be in terms of aggregate clinical outcomes. We get what our system is designed to provide.
Yep.

Originally Posted by big john
Hard to imagine anyone getting out with 3/4 inch of snow.
That's why schools were closed here yesterday.
Old 02-02-21, 07:27 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,046 Times in 4,477 Posts
When we lived in the mountains we would see that a lot. There are steep grades, up to 15% on the main road, and those bigger vehicles don't want to stop on icy roads.
Smaller vehicles with studded tires are the shiznit.
Old 02-02-21, 07:53 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Just learned this year’s little attaboy bonus will be about the size of a nice Di2 bike.
Old 02-02-21, 08:10 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

Just learned this year’s little attaboy bonus will be about the size of a nice Di2 bike.
Quick. buy a nice Di2 bike before something on the Break Out Another Thousand goes wrong.
Likes For gnome:
Old 02-02-21, 08:24 PM
bampilot06

bought a chain checker today. Past .5 but not .75.

that’s about as exciting as it got here.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-02-21, 08:24 PM
DougRNS
Silver Comet Fred

Bikes: 1

Mentioned: 145 Post(s)
Quoted: 8835 Post(s)
Liked 2,986 Times in 1,736 Posts
On January 23rd I was admitted to the hospital with A Fib that happened on my ride. Thankfully, I only got two miles out when it hit the fan. Luckily the way back was flat to downhill. After 18 hours in the hospital, I converted naturally to a regular rhythm and was discharged in the afternoon.
I'm on a blood thinner and beta blocker and am wearing a monitor until Feb 11. I have a stress test on 2/17 and a follow up with the cardiologist to go over the monitor and stress test results on 3/17. The stress test is chemical (Speed or similar)and they will be looking at my heart as it happens.
The good thing is I am considered a low risk but am looking forward to the results so I know what lies ahead for me and what changes and limits I'll have.
I've been processing this for a week+ and haven't posted until i had my follow up yesterday and got some more information. I left the hospital pretty much in the dark which is bizarre. It's not like I was the first person to be diagnosed. Something like "you've been diagnosed with A Fib here are the 10 things you need to know" Alas, no dice.
In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "that's all I've got to say about that."
Old 02-02-21, 08:25 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Slow night. Everyone must be trying to figure out how your BasketVols went 12 minutes in the second half without a FG. Oof.
Old 02-02-21, 08:31 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by gnome
Quick. buy a nice Di2 bike before something on the Break Out Another Thousand goes wrong.
This is the thing. I’m almost certainly too cheap to blow it on a bike, when I’ve already got a good one.

I don’t get it for a few months, anyway.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-02-21, 08:39 PM
bampilot06

Originally Posted by DougRNS
On January 23rd I was admitted to the hospital with A Fib that happened on my ride. Thankfully, I only got two miles out when it hit the fan. Luckily the way back was flat to downhill. After 18 hours in the hospital, I converted naturally to a regular rhythm and was discharged in the afternoon.
I'm on a blood thinner and beta blocker and am wearing a monitor until Feb 11. I have a stress test on 2/17 and a follow up with the cardiologist to go over the monitor and stress test results on 3/17. The stress test is chemical (Speed or similar)and they will be looking at my heart as it happens.
The good thing is I am considered a low risk but am looking forward to the results so I know what lies ahead for me and what changes and limits I'll have.
I've been processing this for a week+ and haven't posted until i had my follow up yesterday and got some more information. I left the hospital pretty much in the dark which is bizarre. It's not like I was the first person to be diagnosed. Something like "you've been diagnosed with A Fib here are the 10 things you need to know" Alas, no dice.
I don’t even know what to say. That sucks. Sorry you are going through that.
Old 02-02-21, 08:41 PM
bampilot06

This is the thing. I’m almost certainly too cheap to blow it on a bike, when I’ve already got a good one.

I don’t get it for a few months, anyway.

A lot can happen in a few months. Your bike could start shifting funny, then the only logical thing to do it replace it.
Old 02-02-21, 08:42 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
The spoke is replaced and ready to roll for tomorrow

....but it was one of those increasingly involved repairs.

First, the nipple had to be fished out of the rim; it wasn't magnetic, so I resigned myself to removing and the rim tape when a few minutes worth of jiggling didn't free the nipple.

Then I found that both the brake rotor and the cassette were interfering with lacing the spoke through the hub eyelet, so I had to remove both (having to dig up a T-25 for the 6-bolt rotor).

Got the spoke laced and tensioned and the tire trued easily enough.

Cleaned up the rim bed for the new tape and slapped that on. Reinstalled tire and tube. Reinstalled cassette and rotor. Popped the wheel back in and DONE!

Well, not quite. Somehow, during this whole process, the rotor alignment changed significantly - pushing in the pistons wasn't enough, so I had to reposition the calipers. In that process, I discovered that whomever designed the Haanjo was an idiot and didn't leave very much clearance for one of the caliper fasteners. None of my halfway decent tools would fit, so I had to rummage through the toolbox for one of those cheapie L-shaped Allen wrenches.

So yeah, what should have been a quick job ballooned and took almost a 1/4 of a Velo Vol bar wrapping session.
Old 02-02-21, 08:43 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

I don't know anything about A Fib but it doesn't sound good so I hope the Doug drugs work as intended.
Old 02-02-21, 08:45 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I don't know a lick about this sort of thing, but it's good to hear that it didn't go worse and I hope that you're able to return to your normal level of activity.
Old 02-02-21, 08:55 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Originally Posted by WhyFi
So yeah, what should have been a quick job ballooned and took almost a 1/4 of a Velo Vol bar wrapping session.
Be more specific.
Old 02-02-21, 09:06 PM
big john

Sorry to read this. I had a minor issue with it a few years ago and it was a problem getting anything from the docs. Got to hear how I "look good for my age" until I asked one of them to stop saying that. Insurance declined a consultation with a cardiologist until I had seen the second doctor twice, I think, and by that time the symptoms had subsided.
My problems may have had a lot to do with overdoing it on fast rides. Plus, I am a bad stress manager.
Old 02-02-21, 09:20 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11402 Post(s)
Liked 4,759 Times in 2,768 Posts
****. I'm sorry to hear this. Way too many cyclists with heart issues. I know 4 people that have had ablations do to weird heart stuff, and that's disturbing.

I hope things turn more positive for you.
Old 02-02-21, 09:20 PM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13714 Post(s)
Liked 4,530 Times in 2,506 Posts
Oh man. Hope things turn out okay.
Old 02-02-21, 09:36 PM
big john

Originally Posted by LAJ
****. I'm sorry to hear this. Way too many cyclists with heart issues. I know 4 people that have had ablations do to weird heart stuff, and that's disturbing.

I hope things turn more positive for you.
Lennard Zinn wrote a book about it called "The Haywire Heart".
Old 02-02-21, 10:09 PM
gnome
shaken, not stirred.

damn. that sucks. hopefully you get a quick diagnosis and heal up well.
Old 02-02-21, 10:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12775 Post(s)
Liked 7,693 Times in 4,082 Posts
Glad you got back home OK, DougRNS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.