Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Short 2-3 day Tour Suggestions

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-16, 09:41 PM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

My daughter asked we do an annual father-daughter 2-3 day tour around Aug-Oct. Awesome idea, right? However, she has a few requirements, first something different every year. Secondly, she hates riding on roads with a decent amount of traffic, she prefers routes on lightly traveled roads, ideally trails. Third, since she only has a road bike with 700x23 tires, the trail/route must be predominately paved. Ooh, fourth, has to be a hotel tour with dinner, lunch, and breakfast in restaurants...hmmm, I probably have to pick up the tab for all of this. Don't you just love your kids when they want to spend quality time doing something you like?

My first thought was maybe something on the DE-MD-Virginia coastline. I'm open to entertaining a tour anywhere on the east coast. Also, I have a lot of family in Florida, GA, and Alabama so I could make something in the south work.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Old 03-19-16, 10:58 PM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Blue Ridge Parkway. It's 469 miles long, so for 2-3 days, pick your favorite or most convenient part.

I haven't biked it and I'm not from the east coast. But as I hiked the Appalachian Trail, which runs nearby, I was constantly thinking, "This road would be a great bike ride." Seeing a cyclist or two virtually every time the AT crossed the Parkway confirmed my belief.
Old 03-20-16, 08:57 AM
Hibonite

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BRP is all up or all down so unless she likes climbing forget it. How about the Erie Canal Towpath, Great Allegheny Passage, Natchez Trace, or the paved trails around Dayton OH? I'm not too familiar with the east coast possibilities.
Old 03-20-16, 10:44 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
You can go from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP and C&O paths, but your daughter might want bigger tires.
Old 03-20-16, 11:18 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18379 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
There are quite a few long trails.

The Katy Trail (Missouri) is long, with light pea gravel, and can be ridden with all types of bikes.

Maybe the Erie Canalway. for about 365 miles.

I'm also seeing notes on the Great Allegheny Passage, and Various connecting trails.

I don't know the surfaces of those trails. You'll have to explore a bit.

A lot depends on how many miles you plan to put in. If you wished to do an out and back trip, then you could even choose a 50 mile trail for a two day ride.
Old 03-20-16, 11:44 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks!!! I had started looking at the BRP but was wondering about elevation. She'll be okay with rolling hills but wouldn't want any cat 2 climbs or above. The GAP would probably be my last choice also since a few buddies and I are planning a trip on it from Pitt to DC in October. Any suggestions on a low-key route from Jax(or Orlando) to West Palm Beach (we could visit family while there)?
Old 03-20-16, 12:07 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another nearby option

https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...ountains-loop/

There are shortcuts available to reduce the distance.
Old 03-20-16, 12:07 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
There are quite a few long trails.

The Katy Trail (Missouri) is long, with light pea gravel, and can be ridden with all types of bikes.

Maybe the Erie Canalway. for about 365 miles.

I'm also seeing notes on the Great Allegheny Passage, and Various connecting trails.

I don't know the surfaces of those trails. You'll have to explore a bit.

A lot depends on how many miles you plan to put in. If you wished to do an out and back trip, then you could even choose a 50 mile trail for a two day ride.
investigating Kathy Trail & Erie Canal now... Thanks
Old 03-20-16, 12:10 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Hibonite
BRP is all up or all down so unless she likes climbing forget it. How about the Erie Canal Towpath, Great Allegheny Passage, Natchez Trace, or the paved trails around Dayton OH? I'm not too familiar with the east coast possibilities.

Originally Posted by ironwood
You can go from Pittsburgh to DC on the GAP and C&O paths, but your daughter might want bigger tires.
Thanks... Checking out the Erie Canal trail lnow... I'm doing the GAP later this year with friends..

Originally Posted by bwgride
Another nearby option

https://www.adventurecycling.org/rou...ountains-loop/

There are shortcuts available to reduce the distance.
Thanks... I will look at adventure cycling site & post an update later...
Old 03-20-16, 01:27 PM
CliffordK

There may be some interesting books too.
Rail-Trails Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York

Road Biking Western Pennsylvania Guide Book by Jim Homerosky (Falcon Publishing)

Bike New England, Pennsylvania Bicycle routes (website)
Old 03-20-16, 01:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by dhender02

Thanks... I will look at adventure cycling site & post an update later...
I have the map for the Allegheny Mountains loop. Much of it is rugged both in terrain or surface, with some steep, unpaved climbs, and services on the VA portion are few and far between. The only flat part is the trail portion in WV. 23c tires probably would not be a good idea.

You married? If so, have your wife drive you to Port Jervis, NY. Ride through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area to Delaware Water Gap, PA and stay at the Deer Head Inn or the dumpy motel in town. Next stop would be Easton, PA. Then you could ride to Trenton, much of the way on the D&R Feeder Canal Trail, which is not paved butt doable on 23c tires. It's a beautiful route down the Delaware River that not too arduous.
Old 03-20-16, 04:09 PM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have the map for the Allegheny Mountains loop. Much of it is rugged both in terrain or surface, with some steep, unpaved climbs, and services on the VA portion are few and far between. The only flat part is the trail portion in WV. 23c tires probably would not be a good idea.

You married? If so, have your wife drive you to Port Jervis, NY. Ride through the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area to Delaware Water Gap, PA and stay at the Deer Head Inn or the dumpy motel in town. Next stop would be Easton, PA. Then you could ride to Trenton, much of the way on the D&R Feeder Canal Trail, which is not paved butt doable on 23c tires. It's a beautiful route down the Delaware River that not too arduous.
Thanks!! REALLY like the sound of this route.. This may be the winner.. I'm researching it now...
Old 03-21-16, 03:40 AM
indyfabz

Thanks!! REALLY like the sound of this route.. This may be the winner.. I'm researching it now...
I have it mapped. Will show it to you later. There are other indoor lodging options in Stockton and Lambertville, NJ, but they are pricey. Best time is probably after Labor Day but before the leaf peepers show up in late September and October. Plus, it can be damn cold up north on October. I've started the Black Bear Century in Mid-October at temps around freezing.
Old 03-21-16, 12:59 PM
Longrun4fun
Trek 1.5 rider

Bikes: Trek 1.5 and Surly LHT

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
investigating Kathy Trail & Erie Canal now... Thanks
Katy Trail is not good for road bikes. I've ridden various sections and it would be a rough ride on 23 or 25 tires
Old 03-21-16, 01:08 PM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
A few years ago, I took my three kids for a loop around Lake Champlain. It was awesome! All roads, but nice shoulders and not a lot of traffic.
Lake Champlain Bikeways :: Vermont, New York, and Québec in one bicycling adventure
Old 03-21-16, 01:22 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Longrun4fun
Katy Trail is not good for road bikes. I've ridden various sections and it would be a rough ride on 23 or 25 tires
I've ridden the section from St. Charles to Defiance & Marthasville with my 23/25 tires, and it was just fine. Also around Jefferson City.

I could feel the extra rolling resistance. There may have been a couple of places where the trail had washed out, or crossed driveways that was rough, but in general it was pretty nice, and the narrow tires weren't a concern.

The worst was just after snow melt when one's tires would sink down to the rims.

Around Marthasville, there was always wind, which would be a bigger concern than narrow tires.
Old 03-21-16, 02:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,496 Times in 4,192 Posts
Natchez Trace is killer.

Its relatively lightly traveled, goes thru some beautiful parts of the country, and is overflowing with history. No idea of your daughter's age, but the food, culture, war history, socioeconomic realities, and music all combine to make the Trace quite memorable. There are hotels and b&bs spaced out along the way, though not typically immediately on the Trace.
Its nowhere close to PA though.
Old 03-22-16, 05:53 AM
indyfabz

Here is the route from Port Jervis, NY to the trail in Frenchtown, NJ:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7889985

The two hard hills in the Water Gap Recreation Area are steep but only about 1 mile each. You have a chance of seeing a bear through there. If you want to do a few extra miles I can get you to a Days Inn near DWG that is nicer than the dumpy place in town and cheaper than the Dear Head Inn. It also has an indoor pool and a Mexican restaurant. There is also a restaurant across the street.

The stretch between Belvedere and Phillipsburg is particularly divine. Last time I rode it was Columbus Day weekend. The holiday and the season meant traffic was relatively heavy as I think I saw a total of 8 moving cars during that 13 miles I usually see about 5. River Rd. from Carpentersville Rd. to Milford is also lovely, with very little traffic.

Note that Avis offers one-way rentals to Port Jervis. That's how I get up there. Here are some photos from my October trip home to Philly. I took the trail on the PA side of the river from Easton to Upper Black Eddy, PA. I would not recommend it with 23c tires. Plus, if there is trail damage or construction you have to get on PA 611 and/or PA 32, which are places you really don't want to ride.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105349...57659421384310

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-22-16 at 06:19 AM.
Old 03-22-16, 06:36 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Are wider tires on your daughters bicycle an option?
Old 03-25-16, 02:26 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mantelclock
A few years ago, I took my three kids for a loop around Lake Champlain. It was awesome! All roads, but nice shoulders and not a lot of traffic.
Lake Champlain Bikeways :: Vermont, New York, and Québec in one bicycling adventure
Looks interesting.... hilly?
Old 03-25-16, 02:32 AM
dhender02

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Here is the route from Port Jervis, NY to the trail in Frenchtown, NJ:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7889985

The two hard hills in the Water Gap Recreation Area are steep but only about 1 mile each. You have a chance of seeing a bear through there. If you want to do a few extra miles I can get you to a Days Inn near DWG that is nicer than the dumpy place in town and cheaper than the Dear Head Inn. It also has an indoor pool and a Mexican restaurant. There is also a restaurant across the street.

The stretch between Belvedere and Phillipsburg is particularly divine. Last time I rode it was Columbus Day weekend. The holiday and the season meant traffic was relatively heavy as I think I saw a total of 8 moving cars during that 13 miles I usually see about 5. River Rd. from Carpentersville Rd. to Milford is also lovely, with very little traffic.

Note that Avis offers one-way rentals to Port Jervis. That's how I get up there. Here are some photos from my October trip home to Philly. I took the trail on the PA side of the river from Easton to Upper Black Eddy, PA. I would not recommend it with 23c tires. Plus, if there is trail damage or construction you have to get on PA 611 and/or PA 32, which are places you really don't want to ride.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/105349...57659421384310
Thanks for the route!!! Pictures are awesome, so that would be about the same time we would ride.. BTW, what camera/phone did you use to take those pictures?
Old 03-25-16, 06:15 AM
mantelclock
Senior Moment

Bikes: Velo Orange Campeur, 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Looks interesting.... hilly?
Not that hilly at all. The biggest hills are on the NY side between Whitehall and Keeseville, but even those are not that tough.
Old 03-28-16, 06:04 AM
indyfabz

Thanks for the route!!! Pictures are awesome, so that would be about the same time we would ride.. BTW, what camera/phone did you use to take those pictures?
Sony RX100 II
Old 03-28-16, 06:48 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Niagara Falls on the Canada side has a nice paved loop you could ride in a couple days. Niagara-on-the-Lake, vineyards, the falls, Welland Canal. Beautiful area.

https://www.niagararegion.ca/governm...tiatives/gncr/