Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What is the best moderately priced rechargeable headlight: 2017

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 04:25 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

What do you recommend as the best value in a moderately priced rechargeable headlamp?

I need a bright headlamp for twilight and evening use. 3 hour battery life at full power would be ideal.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 01-30-17, 04:40 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I suggest that you never, ever ask "what is the BEST" anything on these forums. You are about to either be ignored or (more likely) bombarded by hundreds of listings of what various cyclists own. Worst of all, most of the info will be useless because we do not have certain information to be able to actually help you.

You might want to add:

1. What type of riding you will be doing. Are you commuting on heavily trafficked streets? Pedaling for fun on a local bike path? etc.
2. What do you consider "moderately priced?"
3. Are you looking more to "see" or "be seen?"

Take it from me. If you're not specific, you're only going to be a lot more confused by the vast wealth of knowledge, experience, and stubbornness here at the forum.

I just bought a Cygolite Metro 850 for around $60. At 850 lumens, it's about bright as I think I will ever need for daytime commuting OR the little night riding I might ever do. To me, that was a lot of money to spend. To some, that's cheap.
Old 01-30-17, 04:53 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I suggest that you never, ever ask "what is the BEST" anything on these forums. You are about to either be ignored or (more likely) bombarded by hundreds of listings of what various cyclists own. Worst of all, most of the info will be useless because we do not have certain information to be able to actually help you.
You're overthinking this. I'll weed through the suggestions. No reason to limit posters to the micro level. I've actually been here a while.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-31-17 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-30-17, 05:20 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
The Magicshine and clones are supposed to have a 3 hour runtime and will produce enough light for most, but I'm one of the many that hasn't gotten the batteries to last as long as advertised.
Old 01-30-17, 05:26 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,869 Times in 1,439 Posts
My first stop when looking for a new light is always the MTBR light shootout: 2016 Bike Lights Shootout: Beam Patterns - Mtbr.com

The only lights that I have personal experience with that I think are sufficient for commuting are the NiteRider series. I have an old MiNewt 600 (predecessor to the Lumina) and a Lumina 750. The battery on the Lumina 750 is about to die after two years of use, and I think that might be because it doesn't stop charging when it's full. I think the new ones do that and my older MiNewt (which I still use) does.

I like the beam pattern on the Lumina, and I think that in most conditions 350 lumens is sufficient. That's the setting I typically use on my commute. At medium power the Lumina lights have a claimed life of 3 hours, and that is consistent with my experience. It's worth noting that lights with lower lumen ratings don't typically last as long at full power as the higher rated lights do at medium power, so to get 3 hours of battery life you might want to consider a more powerful light than you actually need.
Old 01-30-17, 05:50 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
The best light is TWO lights, so you have a spare when the first one runs out; or run them both for short times if it's really dark.

Old 01-30-17, 06:09 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
I second the, er, second light.

Not sure what you mean by moderately priced, but I've got these two:

Lezyne Hecto Drive 350XL Front Light | ProBikeKit Canada

https://www.amazon.ca/Cygolite-400-L.../dp/B00LXTOT6I

The Cygolight is great, and better priced now than when I bought it four months ago. You can probably get three hours of use at the lower settings. At the highest I'm guessing about 60-75 min, but I normally run it at a lower setting.

The Lezyne I just got last week, so can't really comment yet, but it was half the price of the Cygolight.
Old 01-30-17, 07:08 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
There are heaps of choices and probably no one stand out.

I'm a big fan of Cateye lights and their 800 Lumen light can often be found at a good price.

It will run at 800Lumen for 2hrs or 400Lumen for 3.5hrs.
Old 01-30-17, 10:38 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Another vote for Niterider Lumina. One on the bars and one on the helmet is a great combination.
Old 01-31-17, 12:04 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I like Cateye lights, partly because the mount works well for me, and you can buy extra mounts to put on different bikes. I have the Volt 800, and it is plenty bright enough at the middle setting to be used on my mostly unlit road I take home. I don't know how long it will last though, probably right around 3 hrs on the middle setting.
Old 01-31-17, 12:32 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Worn on your head, or on the bike? If on the head there are fewer choices.

The Light & Motion Urban 500 is very good for the money. But I should have ponied up a few more bucks for the L&M Urban 800, which could run 3 hours on medium output (350 lumens), good enough for most of my nighttime rides.

Beam pattern is pretty much equivalent to every other good bike mounted light out there. I do nighttime group rides a few times a month and see lots of lights. They're all pretty equal in brightness and beam pattern. The L&M Urbans have a very slightly smoother transition between the brightest central spot and peripheral beam.

My only gripe about the L&M Urban 500 is it can't be run while also charging. It's my only USB device that can't be operated and charged simultaneously from my external USB battery. All my other lights, my smart phone, video camera, etc., can be operated and recharged simultaneously from an external battery.

The newer Serfas E-Lume lights also look very good. I've only tried them in brightly lighted shops during the day, but the output and beam patterns look very good.

I'd also consider the Oculus if I had $150 or so to spend.
Old 01-31-17, 02:23 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
I'm partial to Fenix lights.

I've got 2 of these on the bars.

I also like the Nitecore P36.

18650 batteries and charger is not included.

There are many options to choose from, and its easy to pack spares.

Last edited by SHBR; 01-31-17 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-31-17, 06:55 AM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used the MagicShine MJ872 for several years when I was a daily commuter. Very nice light, good battery life and extremely bright. It is advertised as 1600 lumens. I most always only used it on low setting and it was still plenty bright enough.
A couple years ago I came across Cyclebeam Blinkrim 900. My Magicshine now stays in my cabinet as a backup.
The Blinkrim 900 is smaller, nicer sleek look, uses the MagicShine battery pack. But I guess that it is the "blinkrim" function of the light that I like the most. The primary light of the blinkrim is a cree xm-l2t6 led bulb, BUT..... it also has 12 micro led's that are around the rim of the light. There are two push button switches on the back of the light that controls the main light and the rim lights. The lights (both main light and the rim lights) can be on low, medium, high plus there is a blinking feature. It is pretty cool. I can set the rim lights to blink and the primary light to a steady beam which provides an extremely safe, visible combination.
The original Cyclebeam Blinkrim lights are pretty expensive on Ebay, but you can find the Chinese knock offs at a pretty reasonable price. I bought a couple of the Cyclebeam Blinkrim lights a couple years ago when they were priced a lot less than they are now. They have worked flawlessly over the last couple years, but I wanted to have a few extra just for backups or to lend someone who made need a headlight. I bought the Chinese knock offs that cost right around $10.00 each (just the light, no battery) and that included postage.
The Blinkrim is a very nice bright, small and light weight headlight with a unique "blinking rim" feature.
CycleBeam 900 Lumen Long Run Time Bike Light With Warning Blink | eBay
Old 01-31-17, 08:58 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I agree with @Papa Tom. This question is impossible to answer. The best value depends completely on what you value. I probably have a dozen or so working bicycle headlights and have used many more over the years. The "best" battery powered light I have used by far is the Busch + Müller IXON IQ Premium, but I don't use it for commuting. For commuting my preference is small, cheap, and easy to use. I use an axiom spark 3.0 that has been discontinued. When I have to replace it, the one feature I consider to be an absolute must-have is a silicon mounting strap. I'd probably just get one of these. I'm sure it's fine. I wear a safety vest when I commute, so I'm pretty sure drivers can see me. I don't really need that bright of a light to see where I'm going, and I like not having to carry a big headlight in my bag.

If you feel like you need something brighter the light-and-motion urban series looks good although none of them have the 3 hour run-time on high that you're looking for. I'd get the 350 because it's the smallest and cheapest. If they made a smaller and cheaper one, I'd get that.

I bought one of those sixteen dollar magicshine clones last year, and it's the biggest piece of crap on the planet. I have used it zero times. I learned that the other absolute-must feature for me is integrated batteries. I couldn't find any good way to dangle an external battery from my bike that wasn't intensely annoying. That and the connection between the light and the battery isn't very good so the light won't stay on, which is a pretty big negative.
Old 01-31-17, 09:02 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,472 Times in 2,079 Posts
I like the Light and motion light because that's what I use. It is very solidly made and I've been happy with the longevity of the battery.

That said, if looking for new, I'd take a long hard look at fenix lights. They don't use proprietary batteries.
Old 01-31-17, 11:16 AM
Tiniest jorts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Cygolite Metro 400 falls short of your desired runtime on full power, but I second the recommendation for it, especially at the current price on Amazon. I've only needed to use high steady power once, on a morning ride through a trail in the woods. I like the hard clamp quick release mount since I've had trouble with rubber mounts deteriorating with frequent removal.
Old 01-31-17, 12:29 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I don't know if they are the best, but they have worked well for me. Cygolite Metro 500 mounted to the helmet, and a B&M Ixon IQ mounted to the fork. The B&M gives a wide swath of beam, while the Cygolite gives a bright narrow beam, and the ability to shine where I look. Also, one of the Cygolites settings is a steady beam that "chirps" which I like to use over a strobe.
Old 01-31-17, 12:45 PM
rfmarotti

Bikes: 2015 Redline Conquest Elite; 2014 Fuji Tahoe 1.1 27.5er; 2006 Scott Speedster S30 (sold); 2001 Specialized S-Works CX; 1990 Trek 750 (sold); 1999 Bianchi Volpe; 1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
What do you recommend as the best value in a moderately priced rechargeable headlamp?

I need a bright headlamp for twilight and evening use. 3 hour battery life at full power would be ideal.
some good thoughts here: The Best Commuter Bike Lights | The Sweethome
Old 01-31-17, 03:41 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,480 Times in 1,439 Posts
I like the shaped beams that B&M lights have, but are these lights easily available in the US? I've bought a few from European web sites.

Cygolite, Niterider, and Cateye are good brands. Some lights won't please you, but they are all well made and likely to last a couple of years. So look into those brands. I've had more experience with Cygolite than the others, and I've been pleased with the clamps, the construction quality, and the customer service.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-31-17, 05:38 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I like the shaped beams that B&M lights have, but are these lights easily available in the US?...
Peter White distributes B&M in the US through a pretty extensive dealer network so you can order directly from him or buy it in one of the shops in his network, so that's pretty easy. I bought my first B&M headlight from a bike shop in Chicago. It's usually quite a bit cheaper to order from one of the German online retailers. That's pretty easy too.
Old 01-31-17, 06:45 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Any of these.

Zoomable flashlight cree T6

Spend about as much as the cost of the light on a pair of high-quality 18650 batteries from a reputable source (for instance batteryjunction.com), attach it to your handlebars with interlocked hose clamps. You should be set for under $30.
Old 01-31-17, 07:29 PM
blackieoneshot 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Voyager SP, 1984 Lotus Legend Compe, 1989 Bridgestone RB-1, 1973 Monark, 2015 Surly Pacer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 5 Posts
Another vote for the NiteRider Lumina series. I have used a 750 for three years. The low setting is fine for 90% of what I need, the battery still holds a charge, and the mount is easy to move from bike to bike.
Old 01-31-17, 11:24 PM
AdvXtrm

Bikes: 2016 Novara - Safari

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been running this one directly from my battery bank without issue. So I can run whatever setting on it want to for as long as my battery bank lasts. So for me it's basically hours and hours of bright light with no worries at all; highly recommended!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LXTOPNU

Last edited by AdvXtrm; 02-01-17 at 02:57 AM.
Old 02-01-17, 02:40 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
For Christmas, I bought my sister a Blitzu Gator set off Amazon based on positive reviews. In the process I learned an important lesson. The seller solicits feedback twice, one and two weeks after buying. That means he gets a large number of positives - "I turned it on and it made light!" And that drowns out the normal reviews. As for my review, I have no idea if my sister has even unboxed it yet.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-01-17, 06:16 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
... I learned that the other absolute-must feature for me is integrated batteries. I couldn't find any good way to dangle an external battery from my bike that wasn't intensely annoying. That and the connection between the light and the battery isn't very good so the light won't stay on, which is a pretty big negative.

Convert an old water bottle to be the battery holder and use your downtube water bottle cage. Route the cabling so that you can provide strain relief on either side of the coupling between the head cable and the battery cable. Recharge right on the bike by decoupling the head and plugging in the charger. There are videos on youtube on how to do this...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.