Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help removing coaster brake from childs bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-14, 11:33 PM
pookieman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi

We were given a gift of a bike for my 3 year old, it's a very small bicycle and fits her fine. Thing is it has a coaster brake, I wouldn't have chosen this bike but we have it now, I think it confuses her what happens when it randomly seems to stop when they pedal backwards and the bike has a regular brake on it anyway so I'd rather she uses that, she doesn't really get up to much speed anyway.

So I'm thinking of removing/disabling it, but I don't know where to begin, I did some googling on youtube and found some links but they were for adult bikes, I'm assuming a childs bike is the same. There is a bracket on the rear hub that is screwed to the frame I'm assuming that is used as some sort of leverage to activate the brake? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions how to proceed, a link to a video/pictures would be great.

In addition we are also looking at getting a trailgator so it would be a bit of pain for the tower if she is using the coaster brake whilst being towed.

Thanks for any advice
Old 10-21-14, 12:37 AM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Maybe you're expecting too much from a 3 year old.

Maybe your kid isn't confused and she actually wants to stop.

If your 3 year old finds a coaster brake confusing, she'd probably find any other type of brake confusing too.

I reckon you should leave it as it is and let her learn.
Old 10-21-14, 05:46 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
To disable/remove the coaster brake, you'd basically need to replace the coaster brake hub with a non coaster-brake hub and freewheel. It may not make much sense to disassemble the rear wheel and lace in a new hub, so practically, we're talking about replacing the rear wheel.

On inexpensive kids' bikes, especially ones fitted with coaster brakes, the rims may not have ideal brake tracks for caliper brakes. Just another thing to keep in mind.
Old 10-21-14, 06:21 AM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Many children of that age......

Originally Posted by pookieman
Hi

We were given a gift of a bike for my 3 year old, it's a very small bicycle and fits her fine. Thing is it has a coaster brake, I wouldn't have chosen this bike but we have it now, I think it confuses her what happens when it randomly seems to stop when they pedal backwards and the bike has a regular brake on it anyway so I'd rather she uses that, she doesn't really get up to much speed anyway.

So I'm thinking of removing/disabling it, but I don't know where to begin, I did some googling on youtube and found some links but they were for adult bikes, I'm assuming a childs bike is the same. There is a bracket on the rear hub that is screwed to the frame I'm assuming that is used as some sort of leverage to activate the brake? Anyone have any ideas or suggestions how to proceed, a link to a video/pictures would be great.

In addition we are also looking at getting a trailgator so it would be a bit of pain for the tower if she is using the coaster brake whilst being towed.

Thanks for any advice

...do not have the coordination, strength, and sometimes their hand is to small to safely use hand brakes. Keep the coaster brake for now and on the next bike you can combo coaster brake with handbrake.
Old 10-21-14, 09:41 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
I agree with the above. Little bodies generally find backpedal braking easier to master than hand lever braking. In fact, many parents remove the hand brakes from little bikes and leave the coaster.
Old 10-21-14, 09:53 AM
likebike23
Rides Majestic

Bikes: 1983 Univega Gran Turismo, 1970 Schwinn Super Sport, 2001 Univega Modo Vincere, Self-Built Nashbar Touring, 1974 Peugeot U08, 1974 Atala Grand Prix, 1986 Ross Mt. Hood, 80's Maruishi MT-18

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My daughter didn't really have the coordination to pedal and steer a bike until she was almost 4 years old. When you see the little dude on the rail trail riding with no training wheels at 3 years old, you need to realize that he is not the norm.
Old 10-21-14, 01:47 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
It's possible to disassemble the hub and remove the brake shoes, which will remove the brake function. But AFAIR it still won't be possible to back-pedal any old how.
Old 10-22-14, 03:48 AM
Scooby Snax

Bikes: Cervelo Soloist, Trek Hifi Pro, Kona Dew, Raleigh Tomahawk

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Based on the question, I'd say removing the brake isn't for you. Unless you can build a wheel, because you would need to replace the hub entirely.
Replacing the coaster brake with a wheel with a free wheel would be the easiest option.

But again, having two braking systems on your kids bike doubles their chances of stopping in a panic situation. Speaking from experience, when they first learn to ride, they tend to run into things.
Old 10-22-14, 06:34 AM
a77impala
a77impala

Bikes: 04=LeMond Arravee, 08 LeMond Versailles, 92 Trek 970

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I used to volunteer at local Yellow Bike, when rehabing kids bike I always removed hand brakes if it was equipped with a coaster brake. The hand brakes on most kids bikes are to hard to operate or to big or not of any use or just plain junk.
Leave the coaster on and remove hand brake, end of confusion.
Old 10-22-14, 07:00 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by a77impala
The hand brakes on most kids bikes are to hard to operate or to big or not of any use or just plain junk. Leave the coaster on and remove hand brake, end of confusion.
I agree that the hand brakes on most children's bikes, particularly Department Store quality ones, are terrible. I remember teaching my granddaughters to ride and the hand brakes on their bike were so bad I could not have used them to stop the bike myself, never mind a child's hand strength.