Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Would you be interested in these cycling pants?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 08:34 PM
Omiak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Trousers for you English folks.

Just throwing around some ideas for something I might attempt to kickstarter into production. I've been wearing them around and really like this as an alternative to skinny jeans or velcro ankle bands.

Maybe this modification along with a u-lock holster and some subtle reflective fabric highlights?

Patent pending.
Old 06-10-13, 08:49 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Nice idea, but to me it looks as if they flare out enough at the bottom to still get caught in the chain. When I use a velcro strap, my pants don't flare out since I fold them over before securing the strap.
Old 06-10-13, 08:58 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not Me .. Im preferring a Knit jersey fabric over woven fabrics , by now..
tracksuit /sweatpants. polyester is very durable stuff.

I have tailored a tapered leg done by an alterations sewing person,
to a thrift store pair of pants, that worked too.. put a zipper in the back of the cuff.
but that only matters if you dont take your shoes off..

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-16-13 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-10-13, 09:23 AM
UberGeek

Bikes: Schwinn Tourist (2010), Trek 6000 (1999)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Pulling the blousing strap a little bit lower, and it would be perfect
Old 06-10-13, 10:07 AM
Booger1

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
No.....The slapping dingle-berry would drive me crazy......
Old 06-10-13, 11:49 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
What is the problem? Pants getting caught on the chainring? If so, velcro is vastly cheaper and works better than a drawstring. A single velcro strap will work with all pants. Alternative is stuffing pants in socks. Or wearing lycra cycling tights (my solution). Can't ever see buying pants with a drawstring that actually makes the problem worse by flaring out the cuffs.
Old 06-10-13, 11:59 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
When I absolutely have to wear pants (less than 35F), I just tuck the ends into my socks. Does the job, no custom parts needed.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-10-13, 12:06 PM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
Have to agree with the other posters in this thread, I would not try those pants because they look to still have enough material below the drawstring to get caught on the chainrings, but that's easily solved. Personally I use and love wool knicks paired with long wool socks for riding in cold weather, but I could be interested in pants good for riding if they were waterproof and not as expensive as other cycling-specific clothing tends to be.
Old 06-10-13, 12:36 PM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the idea has some potential. I wear regular clothes for alot of my rides so I have pants on whenever it is below 65f or so. Maybe a lightly slimmer leg would solve the flaring problem.

Some other features I look for in pants I wear on the bike: Gussetted crotch, reinforced knee and loose cut fit. Climbing and work pants fit most of these requirements. I have a couple of pair of EMS climbing pants that are very comfy to ride in and Kuhls and work pants like Carhartts work well too. If these kinds of pants had a drawstring on the leg I would try them out.

I actually have a pair of the Keen's pictured above. Great shoe to use with Shimano SPD's.
Old 06-10-13, 01:16 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Yeah, those pants are just poorly designed.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see the part where you indicated they are a design you're working on; I thought these were an existing product, which is why my comment was less than constructive.

Last edited by chaadster; 06-10-13 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-10-13, 07:59 PM
Omiak

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Nice idea, but to me it looks as if they flare out enough at the bottom to still get caught in the chain. When I use a velcro strap, my pants don't flare out since I fold them over before securing the strap.
I've ridden them pretty much daily for two months without once getting them caught in the chain. The elastic could easily be moved lower to reduce the amount they flare out though.

My problem with velcro straps is that they tend to work themselves lower as I'm riding and fall down around my ankle beneath the pant leg. That, and they're super easy to lose track of.

Originally Posted by jerseyJim
I think the idea has some potential. I wear regular clothes for alot of my rides so I have pants on whenever it is below 65f or so. Maybe a lightly slimmer leg would solve the flaring problem.

Some other features I look for in pants I wear on the bike: Gussetted crotch, reinforced knee and loose cut fit. Climbing and work pants fit most of these requirements. I have a couple of pair of EMS climbing pants that are very comfy to ride in and Kuhls and work pants like Carhartts work well too. If these kinds of pants had a drawstring on the leg I would try them out.

I actually have a pair of the Keen's pictured above. Great shoe to use with Shimano SPD's.
Funny that you mention it. The one's pictured above actually are modified Carhartts.
Old 06-10-13, 08:07 PM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I would like something that has a normal fit (i.e. not skinny jeans) where the cuffs can roll up and have some sort of strap retention to keep them rolled up in place.
Old 06-10-13, 09:09 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
The problem with pants for me is not just getting the leg caught between the chain and chainring, but also having it brush against the dirty chain and getting stained. This is the main reason the flaring that occurs when these are cinched bothers me.

Could the flaring effect be minimized by zig-zagging the draw cord lower, down closer to the hem, so that when cinched, it also pulls up?
Old 06-14-13, 08:46 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
got some "cycling" pants from Lululemon with a similar design (discontinued), but the puffy bottom was still a liability. the best bottom is like what I have on my Novara Headwinds (also discontinued), narrow and zipped.

However, I like the cloth of your trousers. can you make a 6" inside zipper (on inseam side - not outward side) which has a flap of fabric inside so that when unzipped it's not open, just a bit more loose? then when you zip it the flap is folded inside the leg making the bottom snug. just an idea :-)
Old 06-14-13, 04:53 PM
ngateguy
Center of the Universe

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Norvara Intrepid MTB , Softride Solo 700

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Omiak, Like you I have the same problem with many of the velcro straos, they eventually end up around my ankles. I think your idea is great and I think even the way it is designed now, you wouldn't have any chain problems.
Old 06-15-13, 05:57 AM
terrapin44

Bikes: 2012 Civia Prospect, 2012 Specialized Sirrus Sport, 199x Canondale M800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
got some "cycling" pants from Lululemon with a similar design (discontinued), but the puffy bottom was still a liability. the best bottom is like what I have on my Novara Headwinds (also discontinued), narrow and zipped.

However, I like the cloth of your trousers. can you make a 6" inside zipper (on inseam side - not outward side) which has a flap of fabric inside so that when unzipped it's not open, just a bit more loose? then when you zip it the flap is folded inside the leg making the bottom snug. just an idea :-)
I like this idea.

As far as the orignal, I'd be concerend about the baginess. Also, the white drawstring is, well, to white. I'd rather see that blend in.

As far as reflectierized, if you could do it with something like the black reflective stickers that kind of blend in during the day but reflect at night, that would be cool. BTW: I remember reading an Australian(?) study that said reflectors at the knees and ankles were the best for being recognized as a cyclist.
Old 06-15-13, 04:27 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Not really. If I'm going to ride in street clothes, I don't want to be limited to only the street clothes that are specifically for bikes. There's nothing wrong with an ankle band.
Old 06-15-13, 04:36 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3376 Post(s)
Liked 5,526 Times in 2,864 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
When I absolutely have to wear pants (less than 35F), I just tuck the ends into my socks. Does the job, no custom parts needed.
When I was commuting, I destroyed a couple pairs of pants doing that, when the pants slipped out of the socks.
I solved the problem by wearing hiking gaiters over the pants.
Old 06-15-13, 05:52 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
Sorry, but another "nay" from me. Every item of clothing I own with one of those draw string adjustments is a nuisance. Also, the flare at the bottom seems to compound the problem rather than solve it.
Old 06-16-13, 01:31 AM
Stan A

Bikes: Gt Transeo 2.0 hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put the drawstring on the inside so you just reach inside the cuff and pull to tighten then when you get where you are going you can loosen it and look like your wearing regular pants with no strings hanging out. Commuter pants
Old 06-16-13, 01:28 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nope. I've modified some bungee tie-downs (10" with ball-ends, pack of 4 for like $2-3) to tie down my pantlegs when I commute. The stated reason of the 'cuff flare' is one reason I don't favor this design. Cost is the other, as my jeans are EXPECTED to get torn up at work, so I don't buy pricey jeans (all work jeans <$20). For me personally, all tight clothing "imprints" my skin (sign of middle age), so I ignore the small imprint the bungee leaves; it goes away....

For other rides, if I can't wear shorts, I just do the same thing.
Old 06-16-13, 06:06 PM
dscheidt

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
A snap, either set up to just fold the trouser leg to make it snap, or with one end on a strap (bonus points for figuring out how to make it retract when not in use) seems like a better system.
Old 06-16-13, 06:47 PM
mattgmann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd be interested in these. But what I would love to see is a stirrup bit into the bottom to create a gaiter. It could be very nice for all weather cycling.