Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Full suspension for XC bikes

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-11, 07:03 PM
worldtraveller
worldtraveller

Bikes: 92 Specialized Rockhopper, 96 Maxim, 2006 Argon 18 roadbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Do most people who race XC in MTB, either in pro or local races use Full suspension nowadays.

I still use hard tail and it works for me. just wondering if i need to get with the times
Old 08-05-11, 07:45 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12832 Post(s)
Liked 7,757 Times in 4,114 Posts
Originally Posted by worldtraveller
Do most people who race XC in MTB, pros, use Full suspension nowadays.
Nope. Some will choose double boinger for some courses.

or local races
dunno

Here's some video if you want to count the dual sus bikes in a WC XCO race from this year.
https://freecaster.tv/mountainbike/10...lby-forest-gbr
Old 08-05-11, 08:00 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12832 Post(s)
Liked 7,757 Times in 4,114 Posts
A lot of serious racers will choose HT for some tracks and full suspension for others, though.
Old 08-05-11, 08:28 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
HT is hard on your back and knees...
Old 08-05-11, 09:21 PM
sscyco
Fool O' crap

Bikes: Are faster than yours.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
HT is hard on your back and knees...
If you have a Pansie's back and knees...
Old 08-05-11, 10:21 PM
ed 

Bikes: Hecklah

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 08-06-11, 10:08 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
HT is a lot cheaper and many folks don't like the power loss of using rear suspension-- although really expensive rear shocks are not bad. I couldn't afford that, so I would personally stay away from full suspension.
Old 08-06-11, 05:42 PM
Firefighter1291
Gun Nut

Bikes: 2010 Scott Genius 50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a FS that turns into a hardtail....I know I know Im biased but im spoiled now. I cant go back. I dont get any pedal bob that other FS users get when climbing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyOw3lFixl4
Old 08-06-11, 05:44 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sscyco
If you have a Pansie's back and knees...
Hahaha... you keep ignoring them till they explode.. see how that works out for ya!
Old 08-06-11, 06:14 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Hahaha... you keep ignoring them till they explode.. see how that works out for ya!
i think he's right. a hurting back might indicate a laziness issue (get off the saddle). hurting knees might indicate a technique issue (maybe that gear is too big). i have a HT and a FS, my back and knees don't know the difference.
Old 08-06-11, 07:23 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevrider
i think he's right. a hurting back might indicate a laziness issue (get off the saddle). hurting knees might indicate a technique issue (maybe that gear is too big). i have a HT and a FS, my back and knees don't know the difference.
Irregardless of poor technique, it's just a fact of life that over time the extra dampening will help out your knees and back.
Old 08-07-11, 08:59 AM
sscyco
Fool O' crap

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Irregardless of poor technique, it's just a fact of life that over time the extra dampening will help out your knees and back.
Yea - I don't buy it - FS are faster over all when you are spending a ton. A 23lb (or less) fs bike with a proven design will probably be faster over all (everything else being equal), give you more control, and less fatigue - but going to FS only because of knees and back, there are other issues causing that - fit, form, style etc.

I still like my ht for XC, because I can build a pretty light, fast and incredibly reliable bike, compared to a fs. If overall reliability was not an issue - I'd probably still have a FS xc race bike.
Old 08-07-11, 12:09 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yea - I don't buy it - FS are faster over all when you are spending a ton. A 23lb (or less) fs bike with a proven design will probably be faster over all (everything else being equal), give you more control, and less fatigue - but going to FS only because of knees and back, there are other issues causing that - fit, form, style etc.

I still like my ht for XC, because I can build a pretty light, fast and incredibly reliable bike, compared to a fs. If overall reliability was not an issue - I'd probably still have a FS xc race bike.
Why is it so hard to accept that putting a dampening device reduces stress on your knee and back? You certainly aren't arguing for removing the suspension fork also, are you?

All the old farts I talk to won't go back to HT after switching to FS. Maybe they'll do a race on the HT, but for day in and out they're taking the FS. There is probably something to that - In old farts I trust!
Old 08-07-11, 04:41 PM
sscyco
Fool O' crap

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Why is it so hard to accept that putting a dampening device reduces stress on your knee and back? You certainly aren't arguing for removing the suspension fork also, are you?

All the old farts I talk to won't go back to HT after switching to FS. Maybe they'll do a race on the HT, but for day in and out they're taking the FS. There is probably something to that - In old farts I trust!
Ok - I will agree with you - if someone has crappy bike handling skills that cause back and knee pain, a FS may relive some of that.
Old 08-07-11, 08:16 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok - I will agree with you - if someone has crappy bike handling skills that cause back and knee pain, a FS may relive some of that.
Thanks... now for some hover bikes.
Old 08-07-11, 09:02 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I still like my ht for XC, because I can build a pretty light, fast and incredibly reliable bike, compared to a fs.
going back to the OP, this is probably the answer for most racers. for $x, an HT will be much nicer (lighter better better bits) than a FS. if you are a pro with access to stupid light CF FS bike, then you probably have an even lighter HT for the fast tracks.
Old 08-07-11, 10:07 PM
catonec 

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I sold my 94 gt rts because of the crazy about of bob on the uphills. the downhill however was heavenly, I miss it sometimes. if you have back issues and you need some sorts of relief id say buy the hardtail and a suspension seat post like the thudbuster.
Old 08-08-11, 12:20 AM
scrublover
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Bikes: hardtail, squishy, fixed roadie, fixed crosser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
I sold my 94 gt rts because of the crazy about of bob on the uphills. the downhill however was heavenly, I miss it sometimes. if you have back issues and you need some sorts of relief id say buy the hardtail and a suspension seat post like the thudbuster.
Weeeeeell things have moved on quite a bit since then. Suspension isn't just about back and knee relief, far from it.
Old 08-08-11, 06:01 AM
scyclops
dont make me get the belt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kevrider
...a hurting back might indicate a laziness issue (get off the saddle). hurting knees might indicate a technique issue (maybe that gear is too big). i have a HT and a FS, my back and knees don't know the difference.
I'm a middle-aged guy and have maintained a high level of fitness my entire life (and all my bikes are HTs). That said, I feel the need to point out to some of you "youngsters" that as you age things start to deteriorate regardless of the best fitness and nutrition regimen. You can slow it down and minimize it, but if you're over 50 and think that back and knee pain are merely the result of poor "technique", then trust me, you are a statistical anomaly.
Old 08-08-11, 10:05 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
. . . But getting back to the OP's original question - - which, by the way, has NOTHING to do with full suspension in terms of pain relief - - it really comes down to performance. It has been well-documented by now that the same rider on the same day on the exact same course will cut faster lap times on a full suspension - - no matter how much "faster" or more "efficient" he/she might feel they are on the hardtail. Period.

But you still see a lot of hardtails, especially in the elite XC racing ranks because people - - especially elite-level cyclists - - have a hard time letting go of preconceived notions and truisms.

On the more local level, at least out here in the West, you'll see a lot more full suspension at XC races . . . except for certain venues with relatively tame terrain. The only reasons to not be on full suspension any more are if you a) can't spend the money for the level of bike you want in FS; or b) you just don't want to. There is nothing tangible to be gained by sticking with that hardtail.

LET THE FLAME BEGIN.
Old 08-08-11, 10:21 AM
scyclops
dont make me get the belt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I still use hard tail and it works for me. just wondering if i need to get with the times
I guess the answer to that is... only if you want to.
Old 08-08-11, 10:46 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
The only reasons to not be on full suspension any more are if you a) can't spend the money for the level of bike you want in FS
That's me. I'm quite convinced by modern mid/high-end full suspension bikes. I simply cannot justify the purchase of one.
Old 08-08-11, 10:53 AM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper EVO R; Salsa Spearfish 2; Cannondale Six13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
. . . But getting back to the OP's original question - - which, by the way, has NOTHING to do with full suspension in terms of pain relief - - it really comes down to performance. It has been well-documented by now that the same rider on the same day on the exact same course will cut faster lap times on a full suspension - - no matter how much "faster" or more "efficient" he/she might feel they are on the hardtail. Period.

But you still see a lot of hardtails, especially in the elite XC racing ranks because people - - especially elite-level cyclists - - have a hard time letting go of preconceived notions and truisms.

On the more local level, at least out here in the West, you'll see a lot more full suspension at XC races . . . except for certain venues with relatively tame terrain. The only reasons to not be on full suspension any more are if you a) can't spend the money for the level of bike you want in FS; or b) you just don't want to. There is nothing tangible to be gained by sticking with that hardtail.

LET THE FLAME BEGIN.
If this is all true, why do even the upper-end FS bikes have a lock-out?

If it is faster to be suspended, why waste time, money and weight on that feature?
Old 08-08-11, 11:39 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Wheelie
If this is all true, why do even the upper-end FS bikes have a lock-out? If it is faster to be suspended, why waste time, money and weight on that feature?
That's a valid question and I'll answer by reiterating a statement I made previously:

because people - - especially elite-level cyclists - - have a hard time letting go of preconceived notions and truisms.
People get so hung up on 'pedal bob' or their perceptions of it that they fear is robbing pedalling energy, that manufacturers still include lockout shocks so the uninformed don't freak out. If you read the test of the Pivot Firebird (well, unless it was the BMC Trailfox - - don't have the issue in front of me) in the latest Mountain Bike Action, you'd note that, even though the Fox shock has ProPedal (which isn't even a lockout but a pedaling platform), they left it switched off for the duration of the test because the dw-link suspension was so efficient that the Propedal was not only redundant but actually detracted some from the dw-link's action.
Old 08-08-11, 11:49 AM
Papa Wheelie

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper EVO R; Salsa Spearfish 2; Cannondale Six13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have that issue, and I will re-read it again tonight. (It was about the BMC Trailfox, btw.)
I just did a quick internet search on "ht vs. fs", and EVERY SINGLE article that I could find would list the positive and negative attributes of each, and they ALL said that FS had a weight and efficiency detriment, compared to HT. I do agree that propedal platforms are getting becoming more efficient though, so that gap has to be closing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.