Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

E-bike and commuting in your office attire

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-18, 07:53 AM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

My current commute distance to work is 14 miles over pretty flat terrain. I am thinking of getting new pedal assisted e-bike with Bosch mid motor, a Townie. I don’t have any convinient place at work to swap from full riding gear into office clothes, and I hate the whole baby wipes in the restroom routine (I used to commute 20 miles one way on a roadie). Question is, is it possible to get to work in your office clothes without breaking a sweat, or it’s a bad idea? We don’t wear suits, so it’s either long sleeve or short sleeve shirt with khakis or jeans, tennis shoes are fine.

Last edited by boggy; 10-26-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-26-18, 08:29 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Just an FYI. If you're spending anywhere near that much money I would highly recommend you go with a reputable ebike/pedelec bike manufacturer.

Like these guys:

https://www.ebike-manufaktur.com/en/e-bikes.php
Old 10-26-18, 08:47 AM
boggy

Bikes: 2018 Electra Townie Commute GO! 8i, 2019 Electra Townie GO! 7d, 2023 Cannondale Adventure Neo Allroad Speed

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Just an FYI. If you're spending anywhere near that much money I would highly recommend you go with a reputable ebike/pedelec bike manufacturer.

Like these guys:

https://www.ebike-manufaktur.com/en/e-bikes.php
I buy my gear in REI, because they will take it back within a year no questions asked. Last time I dropped over $3k in a reputable bike shop, they would not refund the money after they could not figure out the noise frame was making.
Old 10-26-18, 10:20 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Short answer is yes you can do 14 miles on flat ground without raising a sweat, all you needs do is put it on max assist... Now you will also need to re-charge the battery at work to get home as you would have probably used most of the battery like that...
Old 10-26-18, 10:29 AM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Short answer is yes you can do 14 miles on flat ground without raising a sweat, all you needs do is put it on max assist... Now you will also need to re-charge the battery at work to get home as you would have probably used most of the battery like that...
Okay, here's an interesting question. The specifications for Bosch PowerPack 400 claim that battery lasts up to 500 charge cycles and is covered by a 2-year manufacturer warranty. If I charge it twice every business day, that would result in me using up the 500 charges within a year. Does that mean that Bosch will be replacing this pricey battery before the warranty expires, every year? That does not sound right...
Old 10-26-18, 10:47 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

If the battery is used up lets say 50%, and you charge it, then you would get 1,000 life cycles out of that battery... 70% used up you would get 650 life cycles out of that battery and so on...
Old 10-26-18, 10:53 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by boggy
Okay, here's an interesting question. The specifications for Bosch PowerPack 400 claim that battery lasts up to 500 charge cycles and is covered by a 2-year manufacturer warranty. If I charge it twice every business day, that would result in me using up the 500 charges within a year. Does that mean that Bosch will be replacing this pricey battery before the warranty expires, every year? That does not sound right...
A charge cycle is a full charge/discharge.

I'd wager that you'd get a full commute out of a charge.

The batteries aren't so pricey. Also, I don't know about US consumer laws (usually much worse than the EU) but over here we'd get 2 years on just about everything and batteries should last 5 to 7 years in certain countries.

Most higher end bikes have switched from Bosch, which was great 3-5 years ago, to Continental (German as well) system but I don't know who makes the battery systems for each.

Also, I'm glad that you can exchange the product with REI but I must say that it looks quite inferior in quality/design to other bikes at that same price point.

Would I want a Chevy Captiva or an Audi Q3 at the same price point would be my first question rather than a warranty but it's your money.
Old 10-26-18, 10:58 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think it would be doable. We have these bike share e-assist Jump Bikes in Sacramento and I have taken to using them for mid-day errands. Even on the hottest day, I arrive cool and dry. A couple of things make the difference: posture, because you sit up and catch the wind; and the e-boost, which gets you going from the stop lights. Feels like you're barely turning the pedals.
Old 10-26-18, 11:03 AM
acidfast7
Banned

This also answers your range questions:

https://www.butchersandbicycles.com/...ryGuide-EN.pdf

28 miles /day is roughly 45km/day ... should be OK with a single charge on the 400Wh.

I would assume that you'd be OK with 500 cycles assuming the standard 6-8 weeks holiday leave per year that results in about 200 days / year working.

They'd probably replace with a refurbished battery to cover that 2 years.

Batteries look to be around €400 or so, which seems OK when the 20% VAT is removed.
Old 10-26-18, 11:11 AM
acidfast7
Banned

This is largely known as the best test site in Europe. Youtube will auto translate from German in English, should you require. And yes, that apparatus is squirting water on to the disc brakes and measuring the reduction in braking force in newtons. Ja, the Germans are quite serious.

The full article can be purchased for €4.5 here:

https://www.test.de/E-Bike-Test-4733...urzurl.e-bikes

Last edited by acidfast7; 10-26-18 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-26-18, 11:13 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Your profile says you live in Los Angeles. Is there any way to get around hot + humid days? I haven't found one for the extremes, the kind of weather where simply walking outside will leave you drenched in sweat.

This is what I do when I'm biking to work (in minnesota):
- Smell is usually caused by sweat + bacteria on your skin, so I shower in the morning or the night before and then sweating does not cause me to smell.
- Wear bike-specific (more expensive) or breathable workout gear (cheaper) for the ride in. You want to stay cool, the right clothing is the best way to do it. That being said I either wear workout shorts or mountain biking shorts as I don't need to look professional but I don't want to stand out with out of place clothing either.
- For the last 5 minutes of my ride I make a point of riding at low effort. It takes about 5 minutes for your body to cool down and stop producing heat, and being on a bike doing low effort is great for cooling down. Biking at 12mph is like standing in front of a fan, it cools you as long as the air temperature isn't terrible.
- I just walk into the bathroom nearest the front door at work and change clothes in a stall. I don't find it to be a big deal and no one can see me in the stall. I just walk into the bathroom with my bike bag, walk out wearing work clothes.
- I don't do anything involving the sink, wipes, etc at all. For me at least it doesn't help anything and just leaves to potentially awkward situations if someone I know at work walks through the bathroom which I'd rather avoid. The only thing I do in the bathroom is going into a stall and change clothes.
- I wear Five Ten flat bike shoes for the ride then change shoes at my desk so I'm not carrying shoes back and forth. I saw they now offer a "officewear" pair of shoes called the five ten district that I've been considering getting so I don't have to change shoes at all:
https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-t...shoe/FT86.html

The problem with trying to give advice over the internet on this issue that a persons genetics play a huge role in all these issues. Sometimes people smell if they sweat regardless of whether they've showered which I fortunately don't have to deal with. Some people sweat a lot more than other people again because of genetics. When I would go swing dancing I'd just wear 1 shirt all night while a few other people had to change into a new shirt every hour or two because they'd sweat through their current shirt.

This is what works for me though.
Old 10-26-18, 11:30 AM
350htrr

This also answers your range questions:

https://www.butchersandbicycles.com/...ryGuide-EN.pdf

28 miles /day is roughly 45km/day ... should be OK with a single charge on the 400Wh.

I would assume that you'd be OK with 500 cycles assuming the standard 6-8 weeks holiday leave per year that results in about 200 days / year working.

They'd probably replace with a refurbished battery to cover that 2 years.

Batteries look to be around €400 or so, which seems OK when the 20% VAT is removed.
Not if he doesn't want to sweat...
Old 10-26-18, 11:30 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Here in the Swamp, you’ll break into a sweat just looking out the window in the summer. If you can add some air conditioning, surround yourself in glass and metal, and add a couple wheels, you’ll be fine.
Old 10-26-18, 11:48 AM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Would I want a Chevy Captiva or an Audi Q3 at the same price point would be my first question rather than a warranty but it's your money.
So, where would I get the Audi Q3 version of e-bike in California in $3,000 range, the manufacturer you linked to in your original post does not have any vendors in continental US.

Last edited by boggy; 10-26-18 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-26-18, 10:47 PM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Your profile says you live in Los Angeles. Is there any way to get around hot + humid days? I haven't found one for the extremes, the kind of weather where simply walking outside will leave you drenched in sweat.
Thing is, I am commuting early enough to work so that sun is not in the killer mode yet, think 7:00-8:00AM. On the way back home it could get very hot, but I have shower waiting at home. So I could wear light cargo pants with vents and swap formal shirt to cycling jersey before ride home - I have shower waiting at home.

Originally Posted by 350htrr
Not if he doesn't want to sweat...
I don't want to sweat on the way to work. Going back home I don't have to use maximum assist, I could lower it to minimum. So, in theory, battery could last the entire commute. That remains to be tested. I would hate to be stuck on heavy cruiser bike with no power assist of any sort, that would suck.
Old 10-27-18, 09:51 AM
350htrr

I don't want to sweat on the way to work. Going back home I don't have to use maximum assist, I could lower it to minimum. So, in theory, battery could last the entire commute. That remains to be tested. I would hate to be stuck on heavy cruiser bike with no power assist of any sort, that would suck.
Exactly, that is why I suggested charging at work. Some type/kinds of E-Bikes like my BionX E-Assist bike you can pedal like a normal bicycle no problem, you can't even tell the difference. But most others it could be like pedaling a stationary bike that has resistance on purpose to make you work out...
Old 10-27-18, 12:11 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Thing is, I am commuting early enough to work so that sun is not in the killer mode yet, think 7:00-8:00AM. On the way back home it could get very hot, but I have shower waiting at home. So I could wear light cargo pants with vents and swap formal shirt to cycling jersey before ride home - I have shower waiting at home.
So yeah, that could work, I don't think we'd be able to tell you via the internet whether that would work well for you or not it's right in the middle where it might work well or it might not.

You end up with 2 things on the legs:
- Your leg muscles are doing all the work, so they generate the most heat.
- Pants trap the heat inside the pants. In contrast, shorts push air in and our via the action of pedalling which is much better at keeping your legs cool.

Like I said genetics play a big role in overheating etc, it could work for one person, but be awful for someone else. My experience personally was that a variety of reasons I found doing any "over the sink" stuff when I arrived at work to be to much hassle/awkward/etc. There's no way I'm doing that unless my work has a specific shower area. But just bringing my change of clothes with me and changing in the bathroom before heading to my desk was the easiest and most comfortable option.

Would be curious what you think if/after you try it...
Old 10-27-18, 12:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Electra is owned by Trek, fwiw. It’s not a fly by night operation.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-27-18 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-27-18, 01:03 PM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
So yeah, that could work, I don't think we'd be able to tell you via the internet whether that would work well for you or not it's right in the middle where it might work well or it might not.

You end up with 2 things on the legs:
- Your leg muscles are doing all the work, so they generate the most heat.
- Pants trap the heat inside the pants. In contrast, shorts push air in and our via the action of pedalling which is much better at keeping your legs cool.

Like I said genetics play a big role in overheating etc, it could work for one person, but be awful for someone else. My experience personally was that a variety of reasons I found doing any "over the sink" stuff when I arrived at work to be to much hassle/awkward/etc. There's no way I'm doing that unless my work has a specific shower area. But just bringing my change of clothes with me and changing in the bathroom before heading to my desk was the easiest and most comfortable option.

Would be curious what you think if/after you try it...
Yeah, I plan to purchase that pedelec from REI and give it a try. If it does not work I will simply return it. I am excited about trying because of multiple reasons. I used to commute on a race bike, which basically requires specific riding gear (shoes with cleats, padded cycling shorts, etc), plus I had to carry all my stuff in backpack (which makes your back soaked, even if you are using high tech pack with vented back). Pedelec will allow me to travel in comfortable seating position, in regular clothes, and carry all my stuff in panniers while exerting less effort and (hopefully) staying dry enough to avoid “over the sink” stuff.
Old 10-28-18, 11:44 AM
Dunbar

Bikes: Roubaix SL4 Expert , Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just FYI, if you’re charging that battery 100% twice per day you will burn it out a lot faster. You’ll get 400-500 charge cycles before the battery is down 50% of capacity. Bosch charges $1k for a replacement battery. Good luck collecting on the warranty. My guess is that they’ll say the battery still works so you have no warranty claim. I like Bosch mid-drives but they are way behind the industry when it comes to battery capacity and pricing.

For a that type of commute you really should be getting a bigger battery and charging it to 70-80%. Look at something like a Stromer ST2 or Juiced Bikes Cross Current X.
Old 10-28-18, 11:53 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by Dunbar
Just FYI, if you’re charging that battery 100% twice per day you will burn it out a lot faster. You’ll get 400-500 charge cycles before the battery is down 50% of capacity. Bosch charges $1k for a replacement battery. Good luck collecting on the warranty. My guess is that they’ll say the battery still works so you have no warranty claim. I like Bosch mid-drives but they are way behind the industry when it comes to battery capacity and pricing.

For a that type of commute you really should be getting a bigger battery and charging it to 70-80%. Look at something like a Stromer ST2 or Juiced Bikes Cross Current X.
Bosch batteries are much cheaper than that ... as an example ...

https://www.amazon.de/Bosch-PowerPac...sch+akku+400wh

About €400 without tax.
Old 10-28-18, 02:03 PM
boggy

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Bosch batteries are much cheaper than that ... as an example ...

https://www.amazon.de/Bosch-PowerPac...sch+akku+400wh

About €400 without tax.
Well... The bike comes with powerpack 400, but should I have to replace it I would spring for powerpack 500. It does look like it costs about $1k in the US.
Old 10-28-18, 02:51 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Well... The bike comes with powerpack 400, but should I have to replace it I would spring for powerpack 500. It does look like it costs about $1k in the US.
why the hell would you buy one in the us and pay extra and just not have it shipped to you?
Old 10-28-18, 04:15 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by Dunbar

The way I understand it, it is way better to charge the battery more often then to take it down below 20%, that is when you really start to lose battery life. and yes a bigger battery can solve all the problems, you do not need to take it down below 20% and you don't need to charge it as often and accomplish the whole trip without range anxiety...