Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to run flat mount (road) disc brakes on an IS mount bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-16, 01:19 PM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Pretty much as the title reads, can a frame/fork with IS mounts be made to fit a flat mount caliper through adapters?

Last edited by garciawork; 03-15-16 at 01:53 PM. Reason: flat mount, not post
Old 03-15-16, 01:45 PM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I would have said that all of the disk brake calipers I've seen are post mount and all IS mounts require an adapter? I'm only familiar with MTB setups so maybe road is different.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
fork-mount.jpg (30.4 KB, 556 views)
Old 03-15-16, 01:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
All the calipers are made pretty much the same, then either bolt to the posts direct or use the adapters to use ISO standard tabs

the same ISO Adapter fits 1 size disc smaller when on the rear 160/140 , 180/160 . 210/180 .

so if You use the same size disc F &R the adapters you get will be different, from each Other
Old 03-15-16, 01:53 PM
garciawork

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
All the calipers are made pretty much the same, then either bolt to the posts direct or use the adapters to use ISO standard tabs

the same ISO Adapter fits 1 size disc smaller when on the rear 160/140 , 180/160 . 210/180 .

so if You use the same size disc F &R the adapters you get will be different, from each Other
I know that is the case with post v IS, however I read that the new "flat mount" standard that Shimano introduced for the new road calipers is apparently different. I have found an adapter to fit flat mount brakes to a post mount frame, but have not found anything in relation to IS frames with the new flat mount standard.
Old 03-15-16, 04:11 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
It will probably depend on whether the brake is mounted on the seatstay or chainstay. An adapter could be made to adapt a flat mount caliper to an IS mount, but the caliper would not fit in the space between the seatstay and chainstay with the adapter attached. It just doesn't make any sense to try to make a flat mount caliper work on an IS frame.
Old 03-15-16, 04:16 PM
garciawork

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
It will probably depend on whether the brake is mounted on the seatstay or chainstay. An adapter could be made to adapt a flat mount caliper to an IS mount, but the caliper would not fit in the space between the seatstay and chainstay with the adapter attached. It just doesn't make any sense to try to make a flat mount caliper work on an IS frame.
It does if the frame you want is IS, and the brakes are flat mount... and since I want shimano road hydro's, and they only come in flat mount, I have to see if it will work or pick a new frame.
Old 03-15-16, 06:07 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by garciawork
I have found an adapter to fit flat mount brakes to a post mount frame, but have not found anything in relation to IS frames with the new flat mount standard.
You could just bolt the flat mount to post mount adapter onto a post mount to IS adapter.

A front 160mm / rear 140mm / 0mm post mount to IS adapter does not increase the rotor size of the IS mounts when attaching a post mount caliper (140mm IS mount = 140mm rotor and 160mm IS mount = 160mm rotor).

If the flat mount to post mount adapter does not increase the rotor size of the post mounts (140mm post mount = 140mm rotor and 160mm post mount = 160mm rotor) then it could be bolted onto a post mount to IS adapter and work the same way.

Look at the Avid 0mm IS adapter, Shimano SM-MA-F160P/S adapter or a Shimano SM-MA-R140P/S

* All 3 of those adapters do exactly the same thing.
Old 03-15-16, 07:17 PM
garciawork

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
From SRAM Flat Mount brakes are here - BikeRadar USA that article, in the first (non bold) paragraph, it states

"While Flat Mount frames can mount standard brakes with adapters, Flat Mount calipers are not backwards compatible with existing IS and post-mount frames."

So... I checked with competitive cyclist, and was told, indeed, it is not possible. Unless someone knows of a version of the road hydro's that are not flat mount, I am out of luck.
Old 03-15-16, 07:23 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
From SRAM Flat Mount brakes are here - BikeRadar USA that article, in the first (non bold) paragraph, it states

"While Flat Mount frames can mount standard brakes with adapters, Flat Mount calipers are not backwards compatible with existing IS and post-mount frames."

So... I checked with competitive cyclist, and was told, indeed, it is not possible. Unless someone knows of a version of the road hydro's that are not flat mount, I am out of luck.
Post mount shimano hydro calipers:

Shimano RS685 Hydraulic STI Levers & Disc Brake Calipers Set | Competitive Cyclist
Old 03-15-16, 07:45 PM
cobba

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 53 Posts
I checked with competitive cyclist, and was told, indeed, it is not possible. Unless someone knows of a version of the road hydro's that are not flat mount, I am out of luck.
If there actually is a flat mount to post mount adapter it would be possible to mount the flat mount caliper by also using a post mount to IS adapter.

It would be easier to just get a post mount caliper and use a PM to IS adapter.

https://productinfo.shimano.com/#/spe...isc%20brake%29
Old 03-16-16, 04:04 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Yay, another standard!

I can't believe how I survived the wait!

I was beginning to worry about when to get my next fix, now when when the latest rush of almost-identical press fit BB standards began to taper off.
Lucky me that Shimano thought of us standard junkies and is launching a new round of redesigns.

What's the claimed advantage THIS time?
Weight?
Clearance?
Heat transfer?
Frame/fork stiffness?

Really, If I were announced Supreme Ruler of the World for one day, I'd put a ban on the introduction of new standards unless they came with easily determined (user) advantages.

And order a round of public humiliation for all who've willingly supported or encouraged the development of these standards with no immediate advantage to either function or production.

What's next, maybe a full line of road-specific brake pads?
Just dissimilar enough that anyone with both MTBs and roadbikes under no conditions can use the same consumables for both.

Maybe a "road" line of hydraulic fluid?
Perhaps with cunningly engineered seals and gaskets to make self-destruction an immediate consequence of cross-use?

The mix & match ability of Shimano's road and mtb families for personal adaptation used to be one of their strong points, why are they giving that up?
I miss that.
Old 03-16-16, 05:08 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
There is no real "user" advantage to flat mount. It seems that it was intended to make it easier for carbon frame manufacturers to mold the mounts into carbon chainstays.
Old 03-16-16, 06:23 AM
garciawork

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Yay, another standard!

I can't believe how I survived the wait!

I was beginning to worry about when to get my next fix, now when when the latest rush of almost-identical press fit BB standards began to taper off.
Lucky me that Shimano thought of us standard junkies and is launching a new round of redesigns.

Weight?
Clearance?
Heat transfer?
Frame/fork stiffness?

Really, If I were announced Supreme Ruler of the World for one day, I'd put a ban on the introduction of new standards unless they came with easily determined (user) advantages.

And order a round of public humiliation for all who've willingly supported or encouraged the development of these standards with no immediate advantage to either function or production.

What's next, maybe a full line of road-specific brake pads?
Just dissimilar enough that anyone with both MTBs and roadbikes under no conditions can use the same consumables for both.

Maybe a "road" line of hydraulic fluid?
Perhaps with cunningly engineered seals and gaskets to make self-destruction an immediate consequence of cross-use?

The mix & match ability of Shimano's road and mtb families for personal adaptation used to be one of their strong points, why are they giving that up?
I miss that.
https://xkcd.com/927/

The above perfectly embodies the bike industry.
Old 03-16-16, 07:36 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Y
Weight?
Clearance?
Heat transfer?
Frame/fork stiffness?
Main advantages are size, weight and appearance.

Basically, the anti-disc mafia is to blame. They complained loudly that disc brakes were big, heavy and ugly. So Shimano designed a new mount to make them smaller, lighter and more discreet.
Old 01-29-18, 02:44 PM
Pc1

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have found an adapter to fit flat mount brakes to a post mount frame, but have not found anything in relation to IS frames with the new flat mount standard.
Could you send me a message with the reference of these adapters please?
Old 01-29-18, 11:56 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
The answer is no.
Old 01-30-18, 08:12 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
... and since I want shimano road hydro's, and they only come in flat mount, I have to see if it will work or pick a new frame.
That's probably your only practical choice if you want to stay with flat mount brakes. It sounds like you don't have the frame yet so you aren't out anything at this point.
Old 01-30-18, 10:37 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
The answer is no.
OK looked it up further.. Yup, time to go shopping for a different kit..

you have a packaged deal unless you replace the stock, road flat mount caliper, on the end of the hose.. *

of course not the latest Wallet draining stuff, but the TRP Hy Rd, gives you a hydraulic caliper.. operated from a cable Brifter..

https://www.trpcycling.com/product/hyrd/ that is made in flat mount too.. https://www.trpcycling.com/product/hyrd-flat-mount/

to see the difference.

*have I done it myself? Nope, if risk averse, save your money. stay out of the high end gear.

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-30-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-31-18, 01:05 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
If you're doing Shimano, you can pair new Ultegra and Dura Ace with either the old road calipers Shimano mountain calipers, like XTR race. You should be able to find the levers for sale without calipers.

I know too much about it because I would really like to build up the new Velo Orange Polyvalent (which has IS mounts) with Campagnolo hydraulic discs, which sadly only come in flat mount. I think that they may work with Magura calipers (they use the same fluid, at the least, and Magura was an initial design and current manufacturing partner) , but I haven't seen any information that tests this. Oh well.