Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Hydrogen & Alkaline Water to Better Recover - Do you drink it?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-24, 06:54 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts

Curious to see if other cyclists here are drinking H and Alkaline water. It would seem like there are interesting benefits for athletes - including cyclists - training a lot to drinking this, but not many studies to back it, however.

Improved muscle recovery
Anti-inflammatory
Anti-oxidant
Increased energy
Disease prevention

Hydrogen Water: What Is It and Does It Work? (webmd.com)

Alkaline Water Health Benefits: Is Alkaline Water Good For You? (webmd.com)

What's your take on this?
Old 02-08-24, 07:29 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,920 Posts
as long as the water is clean, no bacteria, & intended for human consumption, everything else is just marketing.

Have not noticed any benefits from the water with enhancements.
Old 02-08-24, 07:32 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Save your money.

These water "scams" all claim that regular water isn't good enough for you, you need ours.

Unless your water supply is somehow tainted (either pH or substance), you're fine.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 02-08-24, 07:35 AM
Troul 

the benefit for prepackaged water imo is the grab n go aspect. toss them in the cooler/freezer & have that quick refresher for the rides.
Old 02-08-24, 07:40 AM
eduskator

I bought a ''generator'' in fact, it serves as a Water bottle at the same time.

Not a fan of single use products, especially not water bottles.

Old 02-08-24, 07:43 AM
Troul 

never a fan of something that costs 4x a bottle of water that usually leaks & doesnt stay ice cold as promised.
Old 02-08-24, 08:45 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
While water is composed of 2 parts hydrogen to one part oxygen, as a gas, hydrogen isn't very soluble in water. And if it was soluble in water, then that'd mean any headspace in your bottles could be very explosive.

Seems like some scamming or typical advertiser misdirection and half truth's going on with Hydrogen Water.
Old 02-08-24, 08:49 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
That webmd hydrogen water article was written by an AI.

How would hydrogen gas do anything at all after drinking the water? It makes no sense at all. Hydrogen is going to diffuse out of the water bottle, it's really difficult to keep it in a container at pressure. And I'd expect an instant exit as gas molecules as the person drinks the water.
Old 02-08-24, 09:30 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by rm -rf
That webmd hydrogen water article was written by an AI.

How would hydrogen gas do anything at all after drinking the water? It makes no sense at all. Hydrogen is going to diffuse out of the water bottle, it's really difficult to keep it in a container at pressure. And I'd expect an instant exit as gas molecules as the person drinks the water.
It may make no sense to our uneducated-about-the-subject brains (unless of course someone here is a scientist and did such studies in his professional life), but if it's backed by empirical data, then I believe it.

Hydrogen-rich water for improvements of mood, anxiety, and autonomic nerve function in daily life - PMC (nih.gov)
Effects of 7-day intake of hydrogen-rich water on physical performance of trained and untrained subjects - PMC (nih.gov)
Drinking hydrogen water enhances endurance and relieves psychometric fatigue: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study (cdnsciencepub.com)
Old 02-08-24, 09:42 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Well in your study, they say the extra hydrogen is added as a hydroxyl. Carbohydrates have lots of hydroxyl groups. So between the group given water with no other added hydroxyls and the group that had hydroxyls added... which might be in the form of carbohydrates, then that might explain the difference
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-08-24, 10:12 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Skimmed the cited work. Maybe if someone takes a closer look they'll find gems in the *********, but I didn't see any.

Hydrogen-rich water for improvements of mood, anxiety, and autonomic nerve function in daily life - PMC (nih.gov)
No plausible hypothesis. No power analysis and gross lack of statistical power: This means that any significant findings are likely to be spurious. Several outcome variables tested with independent t-tests and no adjustment of significance threshold for multiple comparisons. Simply not valid research.

Effects of 7-day intake of hydrogen-rich water on physical performance of trained and untrained subjects - PMC (nih.gov)
This one's a little better design, but also lacks a power analysis, so it is bad clinical research right off the bat. Then, if you look at the statistical tables, they report a bunch of significant main effects of group (athletes vs. non-athletes) as would be expected, and only a few borderline significant group x treatment interactions. So again, no primary outcome variable identified (you can't do that in clinical research!) and no adjustment for multiple statistical tests, making those very borderline p values completely meaningless. Notably there are no main effects of the treatment, meaning it did nothing across groups. I really can't understand how this got published.

Drinking hydrogen water enhances endurance and relieves psychometric fatigue: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study (cdnsciencepub.com)
Another junk study. The first experiment has six independently tested outcomes, two of which differed significantly across treatment groups, and again, no primary outcome identified or adjustment for multiple comparisons. Worse yet, they didn't even record what their groups did on those ergometers, so subjective fatigue could have simply tracked which group worked harder for totally random reasons. Again, one wonders how this got published.
Old 02-08-24, 10:29 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Interesting results. Seems like something perhaps worth a shot in the week leading up to a key race. I wonder why it only worked with trained athletes? It begs the question of how trained you need to be to see a benefit?
Old 02-08-24, 10:30 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Skimmed the cited work. Maybe if someone takes a closer look they'll find gems in the *********, but I didn't see any.

No plausible hypothesis. No power analysis and gross lack of statistical power: This means that any significant findings are likely to be spurious. Several outcome variables tested with independent t-tests and no adjustment of significance threshold for multiple comparisons. Simply not valid research.

This one's a little better design, but also lacks a power analysis, so it is bad clinical research right off the bat. Then, if you look at the statistical tables, they report a bunch of significant main effects of group (athletes vs. non-athletes) as would be expected, and only a few borderline significant group x treatment interactions. So again, no primary outcome variable identified (you can't do that in clinical research!) and no adjustment for multiple statistical tests, making those very borderline p values completely meaningless. Notably there are no main effects of the treatment, meaning it did nothing across groups. I really can't understand how this got published.

Another junk study. The first experiment has six independently tested outcomes, two of which differed significantly across treatment groups, and again, no primary outcome identified or adjustment for multiple comparisons. Worse yet, they didn't even record what their groups did on those ergometers, so subjective fatigue could have simply tracked which group worked harder for totally random reasons. Again, one wonders how this got published.
Thanks for reading them (and providing analysis) so I didn't have to. It is amazing what can get published (even at predatory, pay to play, publishers) these days.

Likes For himespau:
Old 02-08-24, 10:33 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
I like heavy water.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-08-24, 10:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Thanks for reading them (and providing analysis) so I didn't have to. It is amazing what can get published (even at predatory, pay to play, publishers) these days.
I didn't even look at the journals.
Old 02-08-24, 10:51 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Interesting results. Seems like something perhaps worth a shot in the week leading up to a key race. I wonder why it only worked with trained athletes? It begs the question of how trained you need to be to see a benefit?
That's what I am wondering too. I am training 7 days a week with rest days being longer zone 2 rides so I may benefit from this (faster muscle recovery). I will see in a few weeks!
Old 02-08-24, 10:54 AM
eduskator

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I like heavy water.
Yeah, I wouldn't drink 2H though. Lets keep that isotope for nuclear reactors!
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-08-24, 11:24 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
I drank a gallon of water with pure hydrogen gas added to saturation. The ensuing fart set the dog on fire.
Old 02-08-24, 11:24 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Barnum was right.
Old 02-08-24, 11:45 AM
howsteepisit

Bikes: Canyon Endurace SLX 8Di2

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 14 Posts
The solubility of H2 in water at room temperature and pressure is 1.6 PPM so you are not going to get much hydrogen out of any drinking water. As an example, 1 L of water has 1.6 mg of h2 max. If on the other hand, If it is as a hydroxyl then all that happens is the water is alkaline. Pure crap I am afraid.

The concentration of hydrogen in the atmosphere is about 0.5 ppm so your heavy breathing as you exercise will get you way more hydrogen than the water, depending on how much of the inspired hydrogen is absorbed.
Likes For howsteepisit:
Old 02-08-24, 11:47 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
If you think "hydrogen water" is good stuff, wait until you read about magnetized water. So many health benefits, guaranteed to boost your FTP by 20 watts -- or more!

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-08-24, 12:01 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
I was just riding along, when suddenly ...

Likes For badger1:
Old 02-08-24, 01:17 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
Did the oral ketone drinks jump the shark?
Old 02-08-24, 02:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Yeah, I wouldn't drink 2H though. Lets keep that isotope for nuclear reactors!
Oh, I don't know about that. It might be an easy way to prevent loss of athletic performance at higher temperatures, given the apparent effect of Deuterium Oxide in place of water in, for example, Drosophila.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 02-08-24, 09:35 PM
Troul 

i stopped trying to save weight with water... so aero is the new approach for faster gains.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.