Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Zone 2 Rides

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Zone 2 Rides

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 10:39 PM
Acadianbob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts
I've been doing a lot of Rouvy riding for the last 2 years. Rouvy uses 7 zones so I've been doing mostly zone 3. As I review my rides, I find that my watts are increasing for the same heart rate. Most of my rides are 2 hours ( 3 to 4 times a week). I sometimes finish out the last 30 minutes in zone 5/6. No structured workouts. But I can definitely see myself getting stronger over time.
Likes For Acadianbob:
Old 03-06-24, 05:20 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I've been riding in Zone 2 based on my heart rate and not my power zones.
I wonder what the difference is?
Old 03-07-24, 05:55 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by sshakari
I've been riding in Zone 2 based on my heart rate and not my power zones.
I wonder what the difference is?
How did you set your power zones?
Old 03-07-24, 12:00 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
How did you set your power zones?
I set it in a combination of 2 different ways.
1. FTP test. I set my power zones after using Peloton and taking an FTP class.
2. I use the intervals.icu and they have an estimated FTP based on my ride history.

I took the results from both and came up with a number. After that I use a spreadsheet and it calculates the zones.
For my heart rate - combination of 220 - my age and estimated max which I did my self by using a method from YouTube and use the same spreadsheet to get heart rate zones. Not a 100% accurate, and yet it gives me a yardstick to train with. If you want the spreadsheet let me know.
Old 03-08-24, 11:22 AM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I don't have a PM at this time, and it's been ages since I had a lab test. So I use perceived effort to define my zones, focusing on what feels like the anaerobic threshold. The other zones are percentages of that AT HR, not percentages of a theoretical max HR.

Essentially, below that AT HR, I'm breathing hard, forcefully, but controlled. Below that HR, I can continue for some time even though it's quite hard.

Above that AT HR I'm gasping, the walls are closing in, and I can't continue at that pace more than a few minutes.

For me, it's easier to find that anaerobic threshold by experience and perceived exertion than it is to know what my max HR is. I'm 50+, so the formula says 170 is my max. In my races last year I saw 184 in one race and 188 in another. For me it takes a finish line sprint to see those numbers--the adrenaline, the tangible goal of going faster to defend against or catch another rider.
Old 03-08-24, 12:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by McFlyRides
I don't have a PM at this time, and it's been ages since I had a lab test. So I use perceived effort to define my zones, focusing on what feels like the anaerobic threshold. The other zones are percentages of that AT HR, not percentages of a theoretical max HR.

Essentially, below that AT HR, I'm breathing hard, forcefully, but controlled. Below that HR, I can continue for some time even though it's quite hard.

Above that AT HR I'm gasping, the walls are closing in, and I can't continue at that pace more than a few minutes.

For me, it's easier to find that anaerobic threshold by experience and perceived exertion than it is to know what my max HR is. I'm 50+, so the formula says 170 is my max. In my races last year I saw 184 in one race and 188 in another. For me it takes a finish line sprint to see those numbers--the adrenaline, the tangible goal of going faster to defend against or catch another rider.
As you have proved, 220-age is a terrible way to determine max. HR. My numbers are similar to yours (55yo, 189max).

Although I use both power and HR when I ride, paying attention to how my body is reacting is how I've determined where my various threshold numbers are.
Old 03-09-24, 11:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Yeah, some people call that the "zone 2 trap". It feels so pleasant that people want to do it all the time, so they get stuck in that slow plateau.

I think of zone 2 in a similar way, as a recovery ride pace. If I'm feeling fatigued from the prior day(s), but not so fatigued that I need a rest day, it's time for an easy zone 2 cruiser. But the notion that you must stay in zone 2 for the whole ride or you'll undo the zone 2 "benefit", or flip some metabolic switch, seems just plain goofy.

Pootling along at zone 2 for hours is boring. My favorite type of ride is plenty of zone 2 cruising, broken up by some harder efforts lasting 1 to 10 minutes. Mixing up the pace keeps things interesting, I'm getting a more well rounded workout, and I don't get so thashed that I can't go again the next day.
This is something I have been wondering about since the beginning of this thread. Doubt any research exists at this time that discusses majority low effort punctuated by a few intense one. Do the higher level efforts negate, compliment, or increase the benefits?
Where I live, it’s impossible to sustain Z2 for hours on end without having climbs of 10-15% without constant doubling back. I too like breaking up effort levels just to defeat the boredom aspect.

In the same way, there are days when I just go out and stay in Z4-5 with occasional forays into anaerobic just because I like working hard, but then I am trashed the next day. I really dislike doing intervals, which probably means I will not be improving but at least I won’t be hating working out.

Last edited by rsbob; 03-09-24 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-10-24, 08:38 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
This is something I have been wondering about since the beginning of this thread. Doubt any research exists at this time that discusses majority low effort punctuated by a few intense one. Do the higher level efforts negate, compliment, or increase the benefits?
Where I live, it’s impossible to sustain Z2 for hours on end without having climbs of 10-15% without constant doubling back. I too like breaking up effort levels just to defeat the boredom aspect.

In the same way, there are days when I just go out and stay in Z4-5 with occasional forays into anaerobic just because I like working hard, but then I am trashed the next day. I really dislike doing intervals, which probably means I will not be improving but at least I won’t be hating working out.
You might want to listen to the episodes of Inside Exercise where McConnell interviews Andy Coggan. They discuss this extensively and there is some research on this.

Otto
Likes For ofajen:
Old 03-10-24, 09:07 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by ofajen
You might want to listen to the episodes of Inside Exercise where McConnell interviews Andy Coggan. They discuss this extensively and there is some research on this.

Otto
Do you know what they concluded?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-10-24, 10:31 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Do you know what they concluded?
You’ll get much more from listening than what I can type. But in this context, I’d say Coggan would suggest you shouldn’t worry much about the effects of occasional hard efforts in long easy efforts.

Otto
Old 03-10-24, 11:12 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I've heard some claims bandied about (rymes with "Dr. Fan Fill-On") that doing a hard effort will <mumbo jumbo about metabolic triggers or hormones or some other woo woo>, thus reducing the benefit of a low intensity workout.

I think that's silly. I ascribe to the "all roads lead to Rome" school of training, and the only concern with a hard effort is added fatigue, which requires more recovery time.

Old 03-10-24, 11:59 AM
PeteHski

I've heard some claims bandied about (rymes with "Dr. Fan Fill-On") that doing a hard effort will <mumbo jumbo about metabolic triggers or hormones or some other woo woo>, thus reducing the benefit of a low intensity workout.

I think that's silly. I ascribe to the "all roads lead to Rome" school of training, and the only concern with a hard effort is added fatigue, which requires more recovery time.
Yeah I remember that. It makes sense if you are a pro training 20+ hours per week where you really have to manage your harder efforts. But for amateurs I doubt it matters. Most of my zone 2 rides are not 5 hours long like the pros do either. I’m often short of time, so I might ride in zone 2 for an hour or 90 mins and put in some harder efforts toward the end to get more out of the session.
Old 03-11-24, 07:58 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
So what's this exercise regimen based on LSD that Pollock talks about? I might want to be in that group! <GRIN>

1987 was a couple decades since LSD was legal

Last edited by Iride01; 03-11-24 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-11-24, 08:19 AM
McFlyRides

Bikes: SuperCaliber, SuperSix Evo

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
Yes. Just because z2 makes up the majority of the big volume weeks doesn’t mean you shouldn’t train the other energy systems. As a 50+ rider I definitely feel the decline in capacity due to age and do my intervals to prep for races.

Last edited by Hermes; 03-11-24 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Posting copyrighted material
Old 03-11-24, 08:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
rsbob Posting copyrighted material is against the rules. You may paraphrase what was in the book, provide links to the referenced studies and pick out a sentence or two and quote them exactly giving credit to the author. Scanning and posting entire pages from books or articles is not allowed.

Please redo your post, as indicated above, if you are so inclined to do so.
Old 03-11-24, 07:52 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
rsbob Posting copyrighted material is against the rules. You may paraphrase what was in the book, provide links to the referenced studies and pick out a sentence or two and quote them exactly giving credit to the author. Scanning and posting entire pages from books or articles is not allowed.

Please redo your post, as indicated above, if you are so inclined to do so.
Thanks for letting me know. Much appreciated

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-12-24, 01:08 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
I think the research suggests that mitochondria content (number of mitochondria in muscle) is increased by the volume of exercise, which mitochondria function (ability to take in oxygen) is affected by the intensity of exercise. Both are beneficial.

So long rides promote the growth of mitochondria, and hard rides promote the ability of that mitochondria to do their job supplying energy to the muscles.
Thanks Terry! Takes me a while to glom onto a discussion sometimes, but thanks for that clarification!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 04-18-24, 08:28 PM
tobey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
The claim you mention is if you are doing a zone 2 ride and during the ride increase to zones 3-5 you've adversely affected you zone 2 training. There is a GCN YouTube video that references this by Tadej Pogacar's cycling coach who is a MD. A great Zone 2 video.
Likes For tobey:
Old 04-18-24, 11:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by tobey
The claim you mention is if you are doing a zone 2 ride and during the ride increase to zones 3-5 you've adversely affected you zone 2 training. There is a GCN YouTube video that references this by Tadej Pogacar's cycling coach who is a MD. A great Zone 2 video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBbK-0vh-d8&t=632s
Yeah, that claim is controversial. Andy Coggan, an exercise physiologist, says there’s no evidence that doing a hard bout in the middle of a zone 2 causes a lingering metabolic shift. Coggan basically say San Milan is full on wrong.
Old 04-19-24, 03:41 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Yeah, some people call that the "zone 2 trap". It feels so pleasant that people want to do it all the time, so they get stuck in that slow plateau.

I think of zone 2 in a similar way, as a recovery ride pace. If I'm feeling fatigued from the prior day(s), but not so fatigued that I need a rest day, it's time for an easy zone 2 cruiser. But the notion that you must stay in zone 2 for the whole ride or you'll undo the zone 2 "benefit", or flip some metabolic switch, seems just plain goofy.

Pootling along at zone 2 for hours is boring. My favorite type of ride is plenty of zone 2 cruising, broken up by some harder efforts lasting 1 to 10 minutes. Mixing up the pace keeps things interesting, I'm getting a more well rounded workout, and I don't get so thashed that I can't go again the next day.
feeling personally attacked. haha. if the shoe fits...
Old 04-19-24, 03:46 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts

again with the personal attacks. so much truth.
Old 04-19-24, 05:38 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3777 Post(s)
Liked 1,047 Times in 791 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
I've destroyed my aerobic base with tons of hard riding in zone 3 with tons of sprints. Since Thanksgiving (2023) I started seriously doing Z2 training, but I don't do it on the bike, I do it at the gym on a combination of machines. The Stairclimber, Treadmill (at max elevation) and an Arc Trainer (not an elliptical).

It's really helping me. But I still do a little hard efforts as a test, but never too hard that I need to take time off. I do cardio 4x a week and strength train for the remaining 3-days.

P.S. I don't attempt to stay in a certain HR zone, I simply do it by feel, in that I do the hardest exertion, but still can talk. I have yet to burn myself out, unlike my bike rides where sometimes I just passed out after a bike ride.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned how I destroyed my aerobic base, which some had issues with and maybe I worded it wrongly, but what I meant to say was that I'm the type of person that pushes it way too hard and was always feeling burnt out, but still pushed it on the bike. So I decided to do only zone 2 training, starting on Thanksgiving Day (2023). And I finally stopped at the end of March (2024).

I do feel much better, but zone 2 left me not able to maintain zone 3 for as long as I use to, but I am now getting that back and it is coming back pretty quick. BTW, during this time I did do some zone 4 & 5 stuff, i.e. 80/20, but still zone 3 was difficult to maintain when I started back in March.

My thoughts is that one can and should do some zone 2, but if you do it for long periods of time (in my case 4-months) you will lose some zone 3 fitness, which is the zone I think most use for racing, or in my case, in commuting. I no longer believe zone 3 is a gray zone that should be avoided. Rather it's a gray zone if that's where you spend all your time, just as zone 2 can be a gray zone, if you spend too much time in that zone.

What proportion of your time in each zone?

I'll get back to you on that question....

Old 04-19-24, 05:54 AM
PeteHski

This is my idea of a short Z2 ride. I usually add a little tempo effort to make it more productive on a relatively short ride like this. This one also included a sprint finish.
Attached Images
Old 04-19-24, 06:49 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Yeah, that claim is controversial. Andy Coggan, an exercise physiologist, says there’s no evidence that doing a hard bout in the middle of a zone 2 causes a lingering metabolic shift. Coggan basically say San Milan is full on wrong.
Agree. There is no clinical evidence for this claim, as far as I know. And said coach, shining achievements aside, is a PhD, not an MD.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-19-24, 09:19 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
And said coach, shining achievements aside, is a PhD, not an MD.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.