Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel Bike, non made in China

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel Bike, non made in China

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 12:39 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Allied is great but not what I would call "med price gravel bike"!
for bikes made in the US - this is medium price range.
Old 08-10-20, 12:47 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Maxway Ltd TW is a large go-to for steel bikes, many companies hire their services..
Old 08-10-20, 01:28 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by tdilf
for bikes made in the US - this is medium price range.
\

So if a $4200 frame is medium price, who makes a ~ gravel $7000 frame?
Old 08-10-20, 02:07 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
My bike was made in my zip code ([sacrcasm]which was part of my commie left-wing agenda in 2014[/sarcasm]). Some of the parts, like Chris King hubs, wheels and headset, were also made in the US. The Shimano parts are mostly Japan and Malaysia I believe.
Old 08-10-20, 02:17 PM
tdilf

Bikes: Niner RLT RDO, Trek Remedy 9.8

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 70 Posts
\

So if a $4200 frame is medium price, who makes a ~ gravel $7000 frame?
off the top of my head - a US carbon frame from Argonaut (not sure if you would consider the RM3 a full on gravel rig tho).
Old 08-10-20, 05:22 PM
fourfa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
I'll bet it's frame was welded in Cambodia.
It's a more and more common trick to avoid the "made in China" sticker (or dodging particular tariffs anywhere in the world) to not-quite-completely assemble in China, leaving a few operations to be completed at the desired "final assembly" location. For instance it could be a single non-critical weld on a bike frame, a cable hanger or some such. Global trade is complex, and when cotton is grown in one country, spun into yarn in another, woven into cloth in a third, and cut and sewn into t-shirts in a fourth - sure, tagging it with the location of "final assembly" makes as much sense as any other. But this will always leave loopholes and I'm willing to bet that Cambodian-tagged bike frames are one of them.

I have no opinion about this practice or the original question, just some observations picked up in my profession.
Likes For fourfa:
Old 08-10-20, 05:42 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Originally Posted by fourfa
It's a more and more common trick to avoid the "made in China" sticker (or dodging particular tariffs anywhere in the world) to not-quite-completely assemble in China, leaving a few operations to be completed at the desired "final assembly" location. For instance it could be a single non-critical weld on a bike frame, a cable hanger or some such. Global trade is complex, and when cotton is grown in one country, spun into yarn in another, woven into cloth in a third, and cut and sewn into t-shirts in a fourth - sure, tagging it with the location of "final assembly" makes as much sense as any other. But this will always leave loopholes and I'm willing to bet that Cambodian-tagged bike frames are one of them.

I have no opinion about this practice or the original question, just some observations picked up in my profession.
Yeah, it is like the people who buy a $3500 Pivot frame that was made in Burma, which last year was made in China. We sell diagnostic kits in China. They are labeled as being made in Taiwan. All the reagents are made on the mainland and brought back to Taiwan to put into boxes and labeled Made in Taiwan. Most Italian carbon bikes are "finished" in Italy and thus "made in Italy".
Old 08-10-20, 05:45 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
I test-rode a Marin Muirwoods RC the other day. As I'm poring over the frame, I noticed the sticker - "Made in Indonesia." Never saw that before. It was a nice frame, some nice little details.
Old 08-10-20, 06:37 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Gunnar and Waterford are US made frames and US assembled I believe and Bob Jackson English-made frames are very affordable for what you get.
Old 08-11-20, 06:36 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Yeah, it is like the people who buy a $3500 Pivot frame that was made in Burma, which last year was made in China. We sell diagnostic kits in China. They are labeled as being made in Taiwan. All the reagents are made on the mainland and brought back to Taiwan to put into boxes and labeled Made in Taiwan. Most Italian carbon bikes are "finished" in Italy and thus "made in Italy".
You got some info to back up that claim regarding Pivot Cycles?

Pretty sure Pivots are welded up in Taiwan. They make the moulds and a bit of the tooling in the US and ship that to Taiwan to ensure they have more control over the process.

At least this is the way it was up until 2 years ago when I last read about them.

They are actually pretty open about their process. Several articles out there about them.
Old 08-11-20, 07:24 AM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Niner is made in Vietnam
Old 08-11-20, 07:46 AM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by Kapusta
You got some info to back up that claim regarding Pivot Cycles?

Pretty sure Pivots are welded up in Taiwan. They make the moulds and a bit of the tooling in the US and ship that to Taiwan to ensure they have more control over the process.

At least this is the way it was up until 2 years ago when I last read about them.

They are actually pretty open about their process. Several articles out there about them.

Burma.
Old 08-11-20, 09:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Burma.
Wow. When did they move it to burma?

Is that your frame?
Old 08-11-20, 10:32 AM
vespasianus

Wow. When did they move it to burma?

Is that your frame?
No, at a shop (that pic is actually from MTBR but I saw a similar box at a dealer). I was shocked when I saw it and asked why they heck they would do that. Was told that it is for tax reasons. Still made in same location but trucked to another location for shipment. The relationship between China and Taiwan is a funny on. Taiwan needs China for low cost manufacturing. Lots of things "made in Taiwan" are actually made in China and shipped back over. That is why this "Made in..." is a joke.

What I am still amazed by is how cheap manufacturing in China is. Shockingly, manufacturing and personal costs are higher in India than they are in China. If you have ever been to India, it is much less developed than China.

Last edited by vespasianus; 08-11-20 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-11-20, 12:09 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

No, at a shop (that pic is actually from MTBR but I saw a similar box at a dealer). I was shocked when I saw it and asked why they heck they would do that. Was told that it is for tax reasons. Still made in same location but trucked to another location for shipment. The relationship between China and Taiwan is a funny on. Taiwan needs China for low cost manufacturing. Lots of things "made in Taiwan" are actually made in China and shipped back over. That is why this "Made in..." is a joke.

What I am still amazed by is how cheap manufacturing in China is. Shockingly, manufacturing and personal costs are higher in India than they are in China. If you have ever been to India, it is much less developed than China.
Oh. So they ARE made in Taiwan.

Unless something has significantly changed in the past couple years, their frames are definitely made in a factory in Taiwan. They work pretty closely with them, and go over there a bit.
Old 08-11-20, 12:40 PM
vespasianus

Oh. So they ARE made in Taiwan.

Unless something has significantly changed in the past couple years, their frames are definitely made in a factory in Taiwan. They work pretty closely with them, and go over there a bit.
I believe so, The "made in" does not mean much in todays world.
Old 08-14-20, 02:39 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Litespeed, made in Chattanooga, TN.
Old 08-17-20, 08:05 PM
Helldorado

Bikes: Cervelo Aspero Apex1x 2020; Giant Escape Disc modified commuter 2021

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 44 Posts
LOOK and TIME bikes: Both are made in France. And they are "Hambini-Approved" too...
Old 08-18-20, 04:53 AM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorrock
Litespeed, made in Chattanooga, TN.
Don't forget Ocoee bikes also. They are a sister company of Litespeed, and are also made in Chattanooga. Ocoee is consumer direct, and sometimes runs some great deals on gravel bikes too.

Dave
Old 08-18-20, 07:36 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by bonsai171
Don't forget Ocoee bikes also. They are a sister company of Litespeed, and are also made in Chattanooga. Ocoee is consumer direct, and sometimes runs some great deals on gravel bikes too.

Dave
The carbon frames are made in Chattanooga?
This is the brand that was once called 'remot' or whatever, then changed to 'ocoee' a year later, and a year after that is now 'obed'.

The frames are all carbon and Im pretty sure are made over in Asia. Oh, and that parent company is really struggling to find a brand name that works.
Old 08-18-20, 07:46 AM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by Helldorado
LOOK and TIME bikes: Both are made in France. And they are "Hambini-Approved" too...
I thought Look made some (many) of their bikes in Tunisia but painted them in France.
Old 08-18-20, 09:08 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
I thought Look made some (many) of their bikes in Tunisia but painted them in France.
They do but the factory is owned by Look. Basically all looks are made in Tunisia.
Old 08-18-20, 09:17 AM
BluFalconActual

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 33 Posts
Frame: Allied (Made in Arkansas)
Wheels: Enve (Made in Utah) with Chris King hubs (Made in Portland)
Groupset: SRAM Force AXS (Made in Taiwan, USA company)

I understand that this build is nowhere near cheap. It just so happens to be one of my dream builds.
Old 08-19-20, 11:12 AM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
Niner is made in Vietnam
Correct! My Niner RDO carbon frame was "Handmade in Vietnam". Fine by me, they seemed to do a damn good job based on the past few thousand miles!

Old 09-04-20, 09:02 AM
Kanon25

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by fourfa

Notably, Italy and Switzerland and among the European countries with fairly wide loopholes on how little of final assembly is required, in order to receive the "Made in...." designation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.