Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Please recommend a women's hybrid for under $1000

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 11:56 AM
virgilexmachina

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys, I was just in town visiting my mother and she was telling me about her plans to buy a new bicycle. She went to the bike shop and they recommended a Terra Linda WFG. I tried doing some research on it to see what people were saying about it, and found very little in the way of reviews. Another bike shop suggested a Specialized Vita Elite, but I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for a women's hybrid bike for under $1000.

She's 61, does casual rides along the beach, almost exclusively on paved trails. She wanted something where she would be able to sit relatively upright, and she wants something as light as possible. Neither of us are very well informed about the bike world, so I was hoping you guys would be able to offer some suggestions, thanks!
Old 08-28-11, 12:05 PM
CbadRider

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Specialized Sirrus that I love, but it's not WSD. I would have your mom test ride several bikes to see which one she likes best. She should also practice lifting the bike into her car or putting it on a car rack. She has a lot of options with a $1000 budget.

She should also pay attention to how the LBS (local bike shop) treats her. She should feel comfortable asking questions and going there for help if the bike has mechanical issues in the future.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 08-28-11, 12:32 PM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Does your mother need a step-thru design? The Vita is the lightest step-thru design available in the USA.
I cant think of a better general purpose women's bike.

If you compare the Marin Terra Linda against the equiv grade Specialized Vita Elite, the frame and fork are pretty much the same quality and weight. The major difference is the gearing: Marin is geared quite high for fitness style riding, Specialized put lower gearing on for pootling along and steeper hills.

Last edited by MichaelW; 08-28-11 at 12:40 PM.
Old 08-28-11, 12:38 PM
NormDeplume

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Vita (the base model), and I'm happy with it. I also test rode the Cannondale Quick and Raleigh Alysa. All three bikes were nice, but I ended up picking the Vita partly because of fit, partly because I liked the shop better than the Cannondale's shop, and partly for looks.
Old 08-28-11, 12:59 PM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
For casual rides, a $1000 bike is over te top, imo.
My bike didn't even cost that and I've got a pretty awesome sporty hybrid.
Better to spend $500-600 on a bike and then spend the rest on accesories.
Old 08-28-11, 01:47 PM
goagain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Vita gets great reviews here if you mom likes that one and it fits. I don't know its specifics but many here do.

I agree with AdelaaR that $1000 is not needed for just casual riding. I have a Trek 7100 WSD (women's) but the Trek 7000 or 700 (WSD) would be good possibilities too. These are in the $400-ish range. Giant also has some models that are a little less expensive such as the various Cypress W models. My neighborhood is hilly so I needed more gears and chose the larger 700c wheels, but for riding at the beach, either the Trek Navigator or the Giant Sedona (both of these have 26" wheels instead of 700c as the previous bikes do) might also be good. There are different models of each and I think they come with different gear choices. Check out their websites to see the specifics on these. All these are classified as hybrid/comfort bikes. Both manufacturers also make beach cruiser models. It's my understanding they are heavier and don't roll as easily but are OK for level riding. The websites have a lot of info on each model. Personally, I think one of the comfort hybrids would be better (more versatile) than a cruiser but that's just my preference.

I'm not saying Trek and Giant are the brands to choose; they were the only brands available fairly close to my location so I chose from those two. I went with Trek because that shop was much more welcoming and helpful, and offered better service perks with a bike purchase. They were also the only shop that had a bike in my size after a month of looking. If the shops will let your mom ride the bikes (and they should), that would be good. I think the components are fairly equivalent at these price points. I obsessed too much over frame material and whether to get a suspension fork or not, and now don't think it matters much at all for just casual riding. If she likes a bike and it fits, it should work fine for her rides. If she is ever riding on sand, though, from what I've read, she would want a bike with tires at the wider end of the range. Others here are more knowledgeable and will hopefully offer suggestions as well. Any of the hybrid/comfort bikes I mentioned are good for pavement and smooth bike paths.

She should be able to get a nice bike for under $500 or so. The accessories I wound up getting are a floor pump, basic helmet, basic bike computer (speedometer/odometer--fun!), and a small underseat bag for my ID, cell phone, emergency cash, patches, etc. (The one I got was an Avinir Big Mouth, size small, for $10 on amazon, but there are many others available in many sizes.) I also ordered a "Road ID" bracelet which has my emergency phone contact #'s and medical info.

I bought the pump, helmet, and bike computer when I bought the bike, and they installed the computer at no charge and did a much neater installation than I could have done. Oh, I also had them install a kick stand. My bike didn't come with one but some of them do.

I'm 64, hadn't been on a bike in decades, and am loving my casual rides! All the best to your mom. Keep us posted on what she decides.

If you have more questions, the people on this forum have been fantastic to me!

Last edited by goagain; 08-28-11 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 02:22 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Cannondale Adventure Feminine is heavier than a Vita but can mount bigger tires (if you do more dirt trails) and has a headshok to take some sting out of cracks, bumps and other irregularities in the road.

The Vita was not a low-entry frame in 2010 when my wife got her Cannondale.
Old 08-29-11, 06:31 PM
Cyclepup

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because I like to sit more upright than forward, I chose the Trek Allant WSD which has handlebars that are somewhat swept back. I paid under $600 for the bike brand new in 2010 and it weighs about 30-lbs, as sold. I've used it to run errands all over town, so far up to 29-miles in one run, and it has been an absolute pleasure to ride. It is not a true step-through, but does have a dropped top tube so you don't have to mount it like a horse. I've not had any problems getting on/off the bike and I'm in my 50's.

You can see my pics on this thread https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post10559161

Good luck!
Old 08-29-11, 08:52 PM
Bunnicula

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Vita is very nice. I also really like the Cannondale Quick line. There are 5 models, the Quick 1 being faster, more road-like and pricey, the Quick 5 being the least expensive (I have the Quick 3). Trek makes nice bikes too. For a casual ride along beach roads I like my Trek Navigator 2. It's not the lightest hybrid out there, but being a comfort bike it's quite easy to ride - smooth and balanced, and much nicer than a cruiser, imo. It all depends on what kind of ride she's looking for. Most models vary slightly in the ride feel, and I'm sure she'll prefer one over another. The key is getting out there and trying as many different bikes/brands as possible.

Oh, and I concur that the $1000 budget is unecessary for a hybrid. $400 to $800 will buy her a good bike. And stores usually discount last year's models, a great way to save. Though components can differ from year to year, making you prefer one over the other.