Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How do you handle a Bicycle Vendetta respectably after 60?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How do you handle a Bicycle Vendetta respectably after 60?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-23, 06:31 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4394 Post(s)
Liked 3,017 Times in 1,866 Posts
One of the things that took me a long time to learn is that in any conflict, it's not only possible for both sides to be wrong, it's likely.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 09-11-23, 06:46 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
I have found the biggest asses I meet in my rides are the late 50's to late 60's guys that are all kitted out. they are dressed like they are world class racers yet they are going slow on very fast bikes. I try and talk to them as I pass them on my not so fast looking bike and in my not kitted out clothing. I have yet to have one say hi back. I always announce myself saying coming up on your left and always will say hello. One day i passed a guy who obviously looked fit had a little gray pony tail and I ended up getting caught at a light and before the light changed he pulled up and I said great day for a ride and he would not even look at me and took off like a bolt when the light changed and I passed him again and said F' you. I have passed that same guy several times since that day and now he will at least acknowledge me when I pass him. I think he thought I was on an electric bike or something. I am a fat beer drinking 65 yoa who rides a fat tired slow looking bike but I have pretty good legs still lol.
If they just ignore you it's not a big deal, at least they aren't a threat.

There was a guy in our club who's hearing was very bad from being a stunt man. Lots of people thought he ignored them and got the nickname "Eddie Jerks". He was actually a nice man.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-11-23, 06:55 PM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
If they just ignore you it's not a big deal, at least they aren't a threat.

There was a guy in our club who's hearing was very bad from being a stunt man. Lots of people thought he ignored them and got the nickname "Eddie Jerks". He was actually a nice man.
I suppose that could happen but seems it is only that age group. how tough is it to give a not or even a grunt. I am talking on well traveled bike lanes not in traffic but actual bike paths with very few if any walkers. when the time trialists go by me they usually all lift a hand or nod or say hey.
Old 09-11-23, 07:47 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8287 Post(s)
Liked 9,064 Times in 4,483 Posts
I suppose that could happen but seems it is only that age group. how tough is it to give a not or even a grunt. I am talking on well traveled bike lanes not in traffic but actual bike paths with very few if any walkers. when the time trialists go by me they usually all lift a hand or nod or say hey.
I ride a bike path sometimes, too. It's pretty rare that I get ignored but it does happen. I try not to let it bother me.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-11-23, 07:54 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I have found the biggest asses I meet in my rides are the late 50's to late 60's guys that are all kitted out. they are dressed like they are world class racers yet they are going slow on very fast bikes. I try and talk to them as I pass them on my not so fast looking bike and in my not kitted out clothing. I have yet to have one say hi back. I always announce myself saying coming up on your left and always will say hello. One day i passed a guy who obviously looked fit had a little gray pony tail and I ended up getting caught at a light and before the light changed he pulled up and I said great day for a ride and he would not even look at me and took off like a bolt when the light changed and I passed him again and said F' you. I have passed that same guy several times since that day and now he will at least acknowledge me when I pass him. I think he thought I was on an electric bike or something. I am a fat beer drinking 65 yoa who rides a fat tired slow looking bike but I have pretty good legs still lol.
So this fellow could be hard of hearing, listening to music, deeply involved in his own thoughts or just uninterested in a social interaction he gets a hearty F’ you. Nice move.
Old 09-11-23, 08:18 PM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
So this fellow could be hard of hearing, listening to music, deeply involved in his own thoughts or just uninterested in a social interaction he gets a hearty F’ you. Nice move.
I guess he wouldn't have heard it then. dude would not even look at me when he was 3 feet from me. He was not listening to music, now could have been hard of hearing but still not even a glance. hell if he was that deeply involved in his own thoughts good thing he did not get hit by a car...now if he was not interested in social interaction he would not have minded being told to f off.
Old 09-11-23, 08:54 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked 1,846 Times in 835 Posts
We had a rider in our group who would greet other cyclists - but then become enraged and verbally abusive if they did not respond in kind. I tried to explain politely that courtesy given is a virtue, but to always expect it back is an imposition. Didn't help. We finally had to ask that rider to not ride in our group anymore, for that (and other) reasons).
Old 09-11-23, 09:11 PM
AJW2W11E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
63 is the new 13

I'm the OP . Some of this is serious and some is humour i guess. This brings new meaning to the phrase 63 is the new 43. It should read 63 is the new 13. Always wanted to age in a dignified manner like my father. Now I will probably be rolling around in some bushes with some Tarzan guy my same age next week.
When I was a kid , I envisioned myself at 60 with a pipe and heavy sweater reading to a grand kid in a rocking chair. The only part that is coming true is I'm rocking with an issue a grandkid usually faces...
Modern life..
Likes For AJW2W11E:
Old 09-11-23, 09:13 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 194 Posts
When I'm passing on a MUP I'll call out "passing" to warn the rider , walker, or runner I'm passing. If they acknowledge they have heard me in some way, the experienced simply raise a hand. Then as I pass, I will usually say "have a nice day" and usually get a "You too" back. If they don't acknowledge my call to passing, I pass without any further words. This isn't to be in anyway passive aggressive towards them, rather some people are just in a zone and I don't feel like intruding. I've warned them that I'm passing, if they don't hear me or care, there's nothing I can do.

I usually don't say anything on the road when passing unless I'm passing relatively slowly where it almost seems like you're riding beside them for a short bit. I don't need to call out passing as I'll swing out from the shoulder to the traffic lane and there's no safety issue.

I also generally give a wave to oncoming cyclist or others like runners and walkers. 80% of the time I get some wave back. I won't do this on a busy MUP as I'd be waving so much it would be like I was in a parade. I don't sweat the ones that don't wave back. I know that sometimes while riding, my head is somewhere else or I'm just concentrating on a road hazard and I won't notice a rider on the other side of the road in time to wave back at them. So, I don't take it personally if a rider doesn't wave back to me. And of course riders on TT bikes, I don't expect that at all. Though some will raise their fingers to "wave" back.

I would never get upset with anyone who ignored me, let alone give them an F-you. I have no right to expect any interaction from other road or MUP users beyond what's needed to do things safely.
Old 09-11-23, 09:33 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
I've got a nice two word response to situations like this, "that's nice". It's said in a friendly but dismissive tone of voice and doesn't tend to leave a lot of room for argument. Just lets the person know you're not going to be baited, your not going to yell, and you're indifferent to their anger. It doesn't offer them much to retort too and often gives a good pause as they figure out how to respond. From there I just ignore them, my life's too busy to get wrapped up in someone else's grudge and if they want to be grumpy and rude every time I meet them than good for them.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 09-11-23, 09:45 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
I guess he wouldn't have heard it then. dude would not even look at me when he was 3 feet from me. He was not listening to music, now could have been hard of hearing but still not even a glance. hell if he was that deeply involved in his own thoughts good thing he did not get hit by a car...now if he was not interested in social interaction he would not have minded being told to f off.
Do you also approach and talk to other random strangers, walking down the street, on the bus, at the gas station, etc? If so and when you do not receive an appropriate response do you also say “F’ you” to them as well. He is just riding a bike and perhaps does not realize it is part of some secret society where all acknowledgments must be reciprocated. To many people riding a bike is just that and nothing more.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-12-23, 05:30 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Do you also approach and talk to other random strangers, walking down the street, on the bus, at the gas station, etc? If so and when you do not receive an appropriate response do you also say “F’ you” to them as well. He is just riding a bike and perhaps does not realize it is part of some secret society where all acknowledgments must be reciprocated. To many people riding a bike is just that and nothing more.
yea you are right. but I do usually great people and don't recall too many times not get some response back. for the record maybe the he thought the f stood for fast you or feel you or fear you or any number of other words that started with F chances are he never heard them but regardless it made me feel better which is why I ride in the first place. I also suppose he could have heard it as S you like see you which I guess would not have been cool as that was not my intent.
Likes For jadmt:
Old 09-12-23, 06:02 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
actually no I am riding at my normal pace ie 18-20mph I am not racing but I am being cordial and say hi when I pass. Am I suppose to ride behind them at their 15-16 mph? I don't race now but I was a cat 3 when I was in my 30's. I have a couple of state time trial medals lost in my stuff some where. my claim to fame kind of i I beat Rishi Greywall (alex grewall's brother who also raced professionally in a hill climb once) and beat Levi Leipheimer in a mtb race, of course he was about 12 or so lol and I was later 20's. but no not racing or even acting like I am racing just riding at my usual pace. not sure how you read that I appeared to be racing into my post. For the record almost all younger males ie 20-50 yoa say hello back and almost all females regardless of age. it is only the males that are closer to my age group for some reason.

It was just the slightly cocky vibe of your post. As if we are not worthy to ride slow while kitted out on a fast bike. I'll bear that in mind next time I do a recovery spin or while I'm cruising to the start of a big group ride etc.
Old 09-12-23, 06:11 AM
jadmt

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It was just the slightly cocky vibe of your post. As if we are not worthy to ride slow while kitted out on a fast bike. I'll bear that in mind next time I do a recovery spin or while I'm cruising to the start of a big group ride etc.
not meaning to be cocky sounding. sorry if it came across that way. my point is it is always and I mean always the males in that age group who are kitted up and I ride almost everyday. Seems odd to me but maybe it's not.
Old 09-12-23, 06:21 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
To the original post.....he has a choice in how he acts and you have a choice. You can't control his decision. Only your own. Don't make up stories about him or his motivation. Choose your path wisely because it is the one you will walk.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-12-23, 06:52 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 928 Times in 541 Posts
Every interaction on the road is different. Unfortunately, sometimes the stars align and we lose it. It's inevitable. I try to ride my ride and take a deep breath when confronted with a situation that upsets me. I always try to be the better person.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 09-12-23, 07:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3683 Post(s)
Liked 5,448 Times in 2,769 Posts
I have found the biggest asses I meet in my rides are the late 50's to late 60's guys that are all kitted out....
males in that age group who are kitted up....
So much resentment of old guys wearing comfortable, activity appropriate clothing. Next up- they are too slow for their expensive bikes. Only on BF.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 09-12-23, 07:28 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Seems that people who ride in street clothes often have issues when passing people who wear "kit." If a story involves passing another rider, more often than not it involves passing a rider in spandex. Odd coincidence.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 09-12-23, 08:55 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,982 Times in 1,618 Posts
my claim to fame kind of i I beat Rishi Greywall
Introducing some levity into this conversation:

Back on topic - ride a straight line and be aware of the other riders ahead and behind.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 09-12-23, 11:21 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4420 Post(s)
Liked 4,873 Times in 3,017 Posts
not meaning to be cocky sounding. sorry if it came across that way. my point is it is always and I mean always the males in that age group who are kitted up and I ride almost everyday. Seems odd to me but maybe it's not.
Okay, but I don't see what being "kitted up" has to do with anything. It just read like you were bragging about riding faster in casual gear on an old bike. I find that riding kitted out on a race bike does tend to attract "racers" in the same way that it does when driving a fast car. I tend to just ignore the obvious race baiters, which is probably what is happening to you here.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-12-23, 12:33 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Elite Disc, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I was run off a paved trail once by an inattentive cyclist, riding two abreast with his buddy, chatting away. I started being pissed off, but the guy really felt like crap and apologized profusely, and we parted on good terms with no damage done. It can really happen at any time. That's why they're called accidents. And I learned to be more attentive to my own position after that.

Raylan Givens says, "You run into an asshat in the morning, you've run into an asshat. You run into asshats all day, you're the asshat."
This is the first time I've ever quoted my own post. Not an hour after I wrote that, I took off on a 40-mile ride and two blocks from house I made a mistake and scared another cyclist. I caught myself in time from pulling out in front of him (he wasn't very visible--dark clothing and no light). He swerved a bit and had a choice word for me. I had enough time to apologize profusely, but he kept going, never even slowed down. It was a good reminder that we all make mistakes.

That reminds me of a conflict I caused when driving in a parking lot. The other driver followed me into a store. I apologized, and she smiled and said, "I'm glad I'm not the only one who does stuff like that." It was very gracious of her and a model of good behavior.

(The ride today was fantastic, the Lariat Loop from Golden, 42 miles through Evergreen and Red Rocks Park, about 3,000' of climbing.)
Old 09-12-23, 12:55 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
So much resentment of old guys wearing comfortable, activity appropriate clothing. Next up- they are too slow for their expensive bikes. Only on BF.
Only on BF?
You must not read or hear many comments anywhere else on social media sites or traditional media outlets at any mention or commentary about bicylists.
Old 09-12-23, 03:22 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
When I was around 25, I couldn't accept a call in a pickup basketball game from the other team. As with most situations like that, the game stops and people nearly come to blows. A few days later, I'm coming out of the locker romm headed for the court. Coming towards me is one of the players I was arguing with from the previous altercation. He was a big, mean looking mountain of a man. I'm thinking, "What am I going to do?" As he got close, I stuck out my hand and apologized. He did the same. We shook hands and that was that. He turned out to be a great guy. That was one of those moments when I realized I had grown up.
Likes For seypat:
Old 09-12-23, 03:36 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
I once yelled immoderately at a driver who did something inconsiderate, but not deadly. She let me finish and then deadpanned, “Feel better now?”
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 09-12-23, 03:59 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
You point out every time he sees you he shouts something your way. He's picking on you because you ain't fighting back. I applaud your two word message to him. No sense in taking his crap anymore. Enough is enough.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.