Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Anyone else doing RAGBRAI XXXI???

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-03, 02:07 PM
Foxman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My friends talked me in to doing this, just wanted to know if anyone else from here is going? And any advice on getting ready for something like this would be nice too.
Old 06-16-03, 09:01 PM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My only bit of advice for RAGBRAI - Get used to riding you bike hung over! Seriously, with all the drinking that goes on, I hope you can ride dehydrated.

Lots of the people who ride it are not real good in a pack so be careful and ... get good at anticipating what complete rubes will do.
Old 06-17-03, 06:45 AM
Foxman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone know how much i should be riding before such an adventure?? I am currently riding 6 days a weak about 20 miles each day, should i be riding longer?
Old 06-17-03, 09:08 AM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by Foxman
Anyone know how much i should be riding before such an adventure?? I am currently riding 6 days a weak about 20 miles each day, should i be riding longer?
20 miles a day, 6 days a week is a good start but without more info it's really hard to tell you if it's enough or helping you prepare.

Don’ts
20 miles daily of flat out hammering. The problem with 20-mile rides is that most people feel pretty good just going hammer down for twenty and while that’s fine and dandy, it’s not going to help you much.

Thinking that miles 55-75 will feel the same as 1-20.

Do's
You should try and work some longer 40-60 mile low to moderate intensity rides in on the weekends prior to the ride. Learn how to pace yourself.

See how you recover from these distances and make sure you can ride the same distance the next day in comfort (relative).

Try out different types of sport drinks and energy type foods to see what sits best in your stomach while riding. There is nothing worse than downing something you haven't tried before on a long ride and having it hit you the wrong way.

Hit some local group rides where the average speeds are 14-16 and learn how to ride in a group if you don't have much experience with group riding. Pay attention to what more experienced riders are doing and try to do the same. Learn the hand signals and group lingo that’s used.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!
Old 06-17-03, 10:40 AM
Nofx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on yer upcoming RAGBRAI ride..... Best thing to do is get used to Riding hung over......Riding Drunk.....and train in the drinking department. Past that This years route is very hilly and has been called the devils washboard.... basically just a lot of rolling hills. A good source on RAGBRAI info/training/what to bring and just all around fun is https://www.bikeiowa.com https://www.bikeiowa.com

Past that on the ride Look for Our team or one of the many other Fun ones......

Peace out.
Old 06-17-03, 12:14 PM
IowaParamedic
Velolutionary

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be there. I think the "forums" group was planning to meet in Emerson with the RAGBRAI Chat forum. They will be meeting at the fire station.

I think I am ready to ride. I just finished TOMRV, so my training is right on track. I think that they suggest 600 miles prior to riding. They also suggest riding on the road, rather than paved trails. Get used to the hills, no huge climbers, but many rollers.
Old 06-17-03, 01:01 PM
Foxman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well i should easily have 600 miles under my belt by the time this ride occurs, probably around 1000 or so would be a good guess. I think my biggest problem will be trying to remember its not a race to see who finishes first, but just finishing is the goal!
Old 06-17-03, 01:03 PM
Nofx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes finishing is half the feat the other half is to keep your liver in working order.

Nofx
Old 06-17-03, 01:07 PM
Foxman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Drinking and riding, isn't that against the law or something