Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Newbie looking for some input

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-13, 08:21 PM
Spykez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I been riding my Trek 820 and I love it. I know it's only entry level and I can only do so much on it. I'm not going to ride it until it breaks. I'm only going to put it through what it's able to go through.

So basically I bought it because it was my first bike in 11 years and wanted to see if it was something I wanted to get back into and would enjoy doing with a couple friends. We hit up a XC trail nearby and had a BLAST.

That being said, this bike is heavy. We rode and pushed so hard it took both of us to lift the bike into the truck at the end lol! Wiped out once the other day and the rims are already out of true and had to adjust the front brake. I don't want to destroy the bike since I can use it as a backup or sell it to put torwards another bike.

I like hardtails. I want to try a 29er. I'm going to upgrade to something I'm not afraid to beat on a little harder.

Trek Mamba

or

Cannondale Trail SL 29ER 4

I only know a few of the big names. Last time I knew mountain bikes are now the companies that are easily accessed at Wal*Mart lol.

These are who I looked at

Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Giant, Focus (German company, Focus to Germany is Trek to the US from what I read)
Old 09-09-13, 12:32 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Both bikes are a massive upgrade over the Trek 820. For what's best, your find at most price points, most bike are similarly spec'd, would look at fit being the key issue to look at, then what it looks like.
Old 09-09-13, 08:23 PM
Spykez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I read user reviews on the Trek Mamba and they were overflowing with comments about the disc brakes being junk. Should I assume these are people who are beasts on their bikes where as I haven't even gone down a rocky hill?

If I have around 1K maybe 1200 to spend, what are some you'd have me look at.
Old 09-09-13, 10:05 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I've used the Hayes Dyno Sport hydraulic discs and they are better than some other inexpensive options such as Tektro and Avid's entry level, and I've never even heard of Cannondale's Helix 6 brakes. Some quick googing says it's OEMed by some generic Taiwanese outfit. So I'd call it advantage Trek.

The only real possible concern would be that the XC32 coil may not have the right spring rate for you. How much do you weigh? ... But regardless, the easiest way to sort that would be to see how far it sags when you get on the bike and then ask the LBS to include the right spring in the purchase if you've got too little or too much sag. You want to be around 20-25%.
Old 09-09-13, 10:39 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
https://www.airbornebicycles.com/cate...ountry-29.aspx
How handy are you? If I had $1200 to spend on a new bike I'd go with the Goblin.
Old 09-10-13, 06:16 AM
Spykez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
https://www.airbornebicycles.com/cate...ountry-29.aspx
How handy are you? If I had $1200 to spend on a new bike I'd go with the Goblin.
The seeker is sounding nice and right in my range! Now I just wonder if anyone around me sells them.
Old 09-10-13, 11:18 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
They are online only which is how they are able to sell them cheaper.
Old 09-11-13, 07:55 AM
Spykez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canker
They are online only which is how they are able to sell them cheaper.
Man, I haven't put a bike together in like 5 years and that was a Robinson bmx bike I rebuilt.

What tools will I need? I think I'm def going with the goblin or seeker. I'll go to an lbs or something and try out a 29er
Old 09-11-13, 09:24 AM
s0ul_chicken
Live to Ride!

Bikes: Airborne Goblin - Airborne Griffin - Airborne Black Plague

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You only need a couple of tools - all you need to do is install the front wheel, handlebars, and seatpost. To be honest, it took me longer to unpackage the bike than it took me to put it together. Only real tuning you will need to do is set the beads on the wheels by inflating them 60 to 70 psi.

I love my Goblin, best purchase I have ever made - the customer service is superior as well.
Old 09-11-13, 09:50 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Metric hex key / allen wrench set. 2mm, 2.5mm, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 mm will do everything you need. If budget is very tight a multi-tool will have most of those (perhaps not the smallest) so you can use it at home or on the trail if necessary.
Old 09-11-13, 10:15 AM
Spykez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you have any complaints about it? I'm really liking what I'm reading about so far. Really wish I could find some fun cross country trails around here in Madison Wisconsin
Old 09-11-13, 11:29 AM
s0ul_chicken
Live to Ride!

Bikes: Airborne Goblin - Airborne Griffin - Airborne Black Plague

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spykez
Do you have any complaints about it? I'm really liking what I'm reading about so far. Really wish I could find some fun cross country trails around here in Madison Wisconsin
I love my Airborne Goblin, and have zero complaints about it. Matter of fact, I am hard pressed to find anyone who doesn't love their Airborne bike(s). You really get a great big bang for your buck, with solid components.