Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

PLEASE Ride Carefully!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

PLEASE Ride Carefully!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 10:16 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Regarding the alleged perpetrator's mental status, I sympathize with her only insofar as it affects her personally, and her family. That sympathy does not extend to her when she inflicts her illness on others.

I have more experience with folks who have various mental illnesses and behavioral problems than I care to admit. Bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, borderline personality disorder, alcoholism and drug abuse -- you name it, my extended family got it. Some finally took responsibility for their own problems and got help. Others tried but kept sliding back. A few never really tried and burned every bridge they crossed.

If the driver who struck that cyclist in this incident were my own family I'd say the same thing. Take full responsibility for it. Get help. Stay away from the people and situations that pull you back toward irresponsible behavior. That includes not driving a vehicle until you have full control of yourself.
That's exactly what I would have posted, if I were a wordsmith of your caliber. 😁 Well typed. 😎
Old 05-15-17, 11:49 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
As long as they're doing over the minimum posted speed, they're doing nothing wrong. There is no requirement for anyone to do the speed limit, a.k.a. the maximum safe speed for the road.
Cyclist are normally banned from roads with minimum speed limits. But if cyclist are not banned from that road, then the minimum speed limit does not apply to the cyclist if they are traveling as fast as reasonable for that individual cyclist.
Old 05-16-17, 05:39 AM
DeceptivelySlow

Bikes: Two wheels; multiple gears

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
You might feel better having that white line between you, but I see an awful lot of crash reports where the driver crossed that line and hit the cyclist anyway. I personally think you're better off in the lane right in front of them where they are more likely to see you -- assuming they're looking at all.
Always assume the driver sees you or be in the direct path of a driver not paying attention...
Old 05-20-17, 08:54 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Thank you for setting the troll straight.

Troll? Ah, the safety of the keyboard. I thought you might be interested to know how you are viewed by commercial drivers. I have driven passenger buses and various types of haulers over the years and the feelings of my fellow drivers are pretty universal. They. Hate. You/Us. I have a little more sympathy because I bike commute to work, but I take care not to piss anyone off.

Grown-ups who have schedules to meet and work to do tend to take a jaundiced view of 'tour de francers' in full 'kit' waving their little spandex butts from side to side doing nine miles an hour uphill in front of them, often while there's a perfectly serviceable and deserted sidewalk alongside.

By the way, to the 'professional driver' - I wouldn't mind 'poking along at 50 mph' behind a cyclist. Haven't come across any yet. You?
Old 05-20-17, 10:57 AM
2 Piece

Bikes: Motobecane Century Pro Ti Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where did "mental illness" come from. I have seen several post here saying she had some sort of mental illness. The article said nothing about mental illness. Guess this is just more of the usual, posters adding personal thoughts other than facts to the thread. Looks like to me her actions probably had more to due with DUI than mental illness. I wish they throw all the DUI driers n prison for about 5 years on their first conviction then the roads would be a lot safer for us all, plus a lot less crowed. Of course this would also mean cyclist charged with DUI as well.
While I doubt I share all the same opinions as NVanHiker, as for the "professional driver" I was/ am a professional driver as well, except I'm not traveling up and down an intestate such as yourself, I'm a professional city/ urban driver. As a city driver I probably come in contact with a lot more cyclist in a days time. And IMPO their are a lot of very, very bad cyclist out there on the roads. If I only had a dollar every time I have seen a cyclist blow through stop signs and red lights I could probably retire. A lot of these same cyclist do create unsafe conditions for everyone on the road. Cyclist along with all slower traffic need to stay as far right on the road as possible plan and simple.
Old 05-22-17, 07:29 AM
Blues Rider

Bikes: Trek Domane and Schwinn Collegiate/one-speed fixie

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
About the title... I don't think riding carefully would have helped.
Yea, I see your point. In this case, you're right, of course. It's a reminder to me, though, to be mindful and cautious.

I rode that stretch of road on Saturday where my friend was hit, thinking about him, and yes, a little nervous. Irrational, I know, but real.

The good news: He's doing really well. Some friends went to visit him and said he's recovering very well.
Old 05-22-17, 08:11 AM
Blues Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
Grown-ups who have schedules to meet and work to do tend to take a jaundiced view of 'tour de francers' in full 'kit' waving their little spandex butts from side to side doing nine miles an hour uphill in front of them, often while there's a perfectly serviceable and deserted sidewalk alongside.

Well, my spandex butt isn't "little" by any standard. Just saying'. And I'll have to average about 10 more MPH to be even close to being a "Tour de Francer".

Anyway, on blacktops outside of town, there aren't sidewalks available, and besides, it's illegal to ride on them anyway. I agree that riders should obey the traffic signs and lights just like motorists, though--you (or whoever said it) have a point there.

OTOH, the law also says that a bicycle is legally entitled to the entire lane. I looked it up. It's not safe, wise or polite to take the whole lane, no, and a cyclist out of consideration/courtesy, safety and good ol' common sense must stay as far to the right of the road as safely possible, but that's the law.
Old 05-22-17, 08:39 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by 2 Piece
Where did "mental illness" come from. I have seen several post here saying she had some sort of mental illness.
I believe there was a follow up post with a link to a report of her arraignment. She was screaming at the judge, and called him "Santa Claus." The judge ordered a mental evaluation.

Old 05-22-17, 12:17 PM
Blues Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re. the mental illness question, the woman's son went public a day or two after the incident and talked about the woman's history of bipolar disorder. He said she has been known to black out when she gets really manic and doesn't remember what she did. The young man also publicly apologized to the rider and his family. So there's that.
Old 05-22-17, 12:43 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,988 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues Rider
Re. the mental illness question, the woman's son went public a day or two after the incident and talked about the woman's history of bipolar disorder. He said she has been known to black out when she gets really manic and doesn't remember what she did. The young man also publicly apologized to the rider and his family. So there's that.
And she has a driver's license?

Old 05-22-17, 12:47 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Originally Posted by nvanhiker
troll? Ah, the safety of the keyboard. I thought you might be interested to know how you are viewed by commercial drivers. I have driven passenger buses and various types of haulers over the years and the feelings of my fellow drivers are pretty universal. They. Hate. You/us. I have a little more sympathy because i bike commute to work, but i take care not to piss anyone off.

By the way, to the 'professional driver' - i wouldn't mind 'poking along at 50 mph' behind a cyclist. Haven't come across any yet. You?

lol!

reminds of what Mark on Shipping Wars said one time (am paraphrasing), "people say big rigs think they own the road, that's because we do!"

Last edited by Flip Flop Rider; 05-22-17 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-22-17, 01:01 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by NVanHiker
Troll?...Grown-ups who have schedules to meet and work to do tend to take a jaundiced view of 'tour de francers' in full 'kit' waving their little spandex butts from side to side doing nine miles an hour uphill in front of them, often while there's a perfectly serviceable and deserted sidewalk alongside.
You do come across as a troll, yes.
Old 05-22-17, 01:37 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
icyclist great name!
Old 05-23-17, 07:33 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I will be keeping a good thought for the injured cyclist.

Why am I not surprised to see that the motorist was impaired?
Bring on the Autonomous Cars, please.

Jeff
Old 05-24-17, 06:11 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
My fear with autonomous cars is that one will hit & kill a cyclist, then it'll be written off as a 'glitch' and nobody will be responsible. For instance, if my lowracer doesn't meet some programmers' assumptions about radar cross-section.

Regarding the commercial drivers stuck behind us while we're struggling to climb a hill at 10 mph while there's a perfectly usable sidewalk nearby. We're all vehicles here -- it's just as proper for YOU to use the sidewalk. Courtesy works both ways.