Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Help Preparing for Hip Replacement

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 10:42 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2244 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 1,804 Posts

... specifically, my wife's hip, on Friday.

I've successfully avoided preparation thus far, but we have a walker, a raised toilet seat, and one of those things that enables you to grab stuff off the floor. We met with the surgeon and have all the formal instructions, but I feel a bit unprepared for all of the practical realities.

Apart from bleeding out in the OR, or not coming out of anesthesia, her biggest worry is that she might have to ride one of those horrible $600 step-thru hybrids with the goofy stem and handlebars. That, and the fact that both knees and the other hip aren't far behind.

Maybe I should just go on an extended bike tour, and leave a "good luck, don't forget to feed the dogs" note. But that seems slightly self-centered and irresponsible.
Old 12-12-23, 10:51 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 969 Post(s)
Liked 1,632 Times in 1,048 Posts
A lift recliner chair might be a good investment. Especially if she has more surgeries on the horizon. Also if your bed is real low to the floor raising the bed a few inches could help. Take solace in that recovery times for hip replacement are less then 20% of what they were 20 years ago.

As far as, "...step-thru hybrids with the goofy stem and handlebars...", RATS!

We do what we have to do, to ride.

But just think about it, ya get to build another custom bike. Yep...
Old 12-12-23, 11:37 AM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
What I learned (too late) from a broken hip.
a] hand rails in the shower and on the stairs.
b] go down stares backwards.
c] a hip is way, way more challenging than a knee.
Likes For Speedskater:
Old 12-12-23, 08:17 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedskater
I have an artificial hip, and an artificial knee. I disagree with c] above.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 12-12-23, 08:21 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
... specifically, my wife's hip, on Friday.

I've successfully avoided preparation thus far, but we have a walker, a raised toilet seat, and one of those things that enables you to grab stuff off the floor. We met with the surgeon and have all the formal instructions, but I feel a bit unprepared for all of the practical realities.

Apart from bleeding out in the OR, or not coming out of anesthesia, her biggest worry is that she might have to ride one of those horrible $600 step-thru hybrids with the goofy stem and handlebars. That, and the fact that both knees and the other hip aren't far behind.

Maybe I should just go on an extended bike tour, and leave a "good luck, don't forget to feed the dogs" note. But that seems slightly self-centered and irresponsible.
After my hip replacement, it was SOOOooooo much easier to get my leg up and over the top tube and mount the bike. I have a list of things to do before, and things you might realize will happen post-op. I’d PM it to you but your account is set up to not receive PMs. I’ll post them here in a separate post.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 12-12-23, 08:27 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Here's some advice/warning for anyone planning or contemplating getting a total hip replacement...things that weren't necessarily told to me in advance.

Clip your toenails as late as possible right before the surgery. You won't be able to reach the toes on your surgical leg for at least weeks, if not months.

During the surgery, you are likely to suffer another leg injury that will be inflicted on the operating table, while you're under general anesthesia. The injury is essentially the result of a couple of things the doctor has to do.

First, to begin the procedure and do the required work, the surgeon will have to dislocate your hip -- get the femur head out of the hip joint. Obviously dislocation of any joint causes residual injury/pain. Then, during the surgery, he/she will likely have an assistant twist, torque, and hold your leg in an unnatural position (or use a special operating table) putting the femur bone in a certain position so that the surgeon can accomplish his work.

Secondly, apparently before they close you up, the surgeon will purposely twist and contort your leg into more unnatural positions specifically trying to dislocate the new artificial joint. This is done to make sure that it is inserted properly so that they can fix it and not have to re-open the incision after it, and your muscles have healed.

All of the above maneuvers are likely to inflict injury on other parts of your leg. In my case it was in the knee, the patella area. As I previously said, I wasn't made aware that this would be, or had been done. They literally have you begin PT within hours of the surgery in the form of some slight movements and muscle contractions that you do while laying in bed. Later in the day, you will be up and walking with the assistance of a walker or crutches. But it may be several days before you do any knee bending, or attempting to bear weight on the surgical leg. So, when I got to that point, I didn't realize that the 'twinge' in my knee was the result of a slight patella tear, or bursitis. I dismissed it as just a minor muscle/tendon strain sustained as a result of the surgery. It didn't really hurt...until I tried to bear weight on it, attempting stairs, during the first home visit for PT. The therapist said if I needed assistance to pull myself up with the bannister. Again...I wasn't aware of the severity of my injury so I tried to exercise through it. But unfortunately I was re-aggravating the injury. By late that evening the pain in my knee was worse than the pain in my hip. The next morning I called the surgeon and he explained that it was completely normal. And, to treat with ice, and elevate it. Well, that's all good except that had I known that the 'twinge' in my knee was more than just a 'twinge'...I would not have attempted those exercises, and thereby setting my recovery back several days. I stayed off it, and didn't bend it for two days and it's finally back to feeling the way it was before attempting the bending/stairs/weight bearing.

Otherwise, I feel like my surgeon (an active duty Navy LCDR) did a very good job, and my recovery is going very well. My surgery was done on March 21, 2018. Within a couple of days I was walking with only the assistance of a cane. I can't stress enough, as others told me beforehand, that being in good physical condition (especially the muscles in and around the hip) really makes recovery much easier and quicker. If you're holding off until a later date...use that time to get into the best physical condition that you can.

If you are contemplating hip replacement, do yourself a huge favor and do some research beforehand. Make of list of things to ask the surgeon well in advance of the surgery. I asked LOTS of questions, felt like I may have been annoying my surgeon. But he told me "I wouldn't be in this business if I didn't like talking about it." He said you'd be surprised how many people get surgeries of this nature and don't ask a single question, and have no idea what is implanted in them, or how it works. Examples of questions to ask:

- Company that manufactures the device that will be implanted.
- Is the design and material used the best for your lifestyle? Research it on your own too.
- anterior (front) or posterior (rear) incision/entry
- ball and socket material
- how attached (glue/cement)
- time for leg length to settle afterward.
- pain meds - tramadol, oxycodone (I was initially prescribed oxy. But switched and had best results with tramadol. It's not an opioid).
- Other pre- and post-op meds you'll be required to take.
- antibiotics for dental the rest of your life.
- Who all will be in the operating room?
- Here's a link to the device I received -- https://www.smith-nephew.com/professi...cts/anthology/ and

- Immediately following the surgery, and for six weeks or more, you will likely be on a blood thinner/anti-coagulant to prevent blood clots. In my case, at the last minute, the doctor changed it to simply twice daily aspirin. Nevertheless my blood was thinner. You'll recover quickly from the surgery, and in a short time you will be back up and around, and doing the things that you do. If among those things is any activity that might cause small wounds...like for me working at my workbench in the garage, the smallest cut or puncture will bleed profusely. So, it's a good idea to have a good supply of bandaids on hand. Or, in my case the 'super glue' I use to mend small wounds.

Good Luck.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 12-12-23, 08:47 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Thanks for posting all of that, Dan. We both really appreciate it!

Sorry about the PM being off.
Old 12-12-23, 09:58 PM
Chancy

Bikes: S&S Santana Beyond & S&S Santana Arriva. Trek Domane 3.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Speedskater
Speedskater,
I have not broken my hip or had a hip replacement, but my brother broke his hip last year. His doctors told him a broken hip is way more difficult and a longer recovery than hip replacement. I think you may be comparing apples to oranges. He also may need a knee replacement and his doctor, in South Africa, said what many of us have heard or know, hip (replacement) recovery is easier than knee also.
Tailwinds,
Charlie
Old 12-14-23, 01:12 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Every situation has its unique aspects. The knee, in general, is a more complicated joint.

Tomorrow is rapidly approaching.
Old 12-14-23, 10:10 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Old 12-15-23, 08:54 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
So you'll be doing some clothes shopping on the way home to find matching attire?
Old 12-15-23, 01:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Didn't go down.

Apparently too much sewer water backed up into the Kaiser operating theaters.
Old 12-16-23, 11:42 PM
fat biker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
I had my left hip replaced in July this year.
I had my left hip replaced this Monday 12/11/23.
Just got home on Thursday and since my wife died last month I am flying solo. So far, so good. Yes, I have local friends as near as my phone.

My advice..
As much as possible, keep her properly medicated for pain.
Keep her hydrated.
Encourage her to walk as appropriate around the house. I expect walking will be her best medicine.
I would want to have on hand a ¨Safety Belt¨. Goes around her waist, cinched snug, gives you a safe handle to follow behind her IF she is even a bit unstable with the walker.
Follow ALL Aftercare instructions, if you have questions, Call.
At my surgeons practice the only two people I have access to post-surgery are my PA (physician assistant) and my PC (patient coordinator). Both have been Great!

My experience..
The first two weeks are pretty tough.
PT helps immensely.
PT will cause much discomfort!
You should hear me Howl under load.
Schedule pain meds before PT.

My encouragement for your wife; no sweat, piece of cake, you´ve got this

Best of luck to you both, and hope this helps.

fat biker
Likes For fat biker:
Old 12-17-23, 12:57 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Thanks. It is rescheduled a few days from now.

I am hoping your second line is a typo.
Old 12-22-23, 05:50 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Finally got done. The leg with the new hip joint is significantly longer. Is this normal? Does it resolve?
Old 12-22-23, 06:00 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 447 Posts
Finally got done. The leg with the new hip joint is significantly longer. Is this normal? Does it resolve?
Yes, it's normal. I wanted my first (left) one a little shorter when they needed to re-do it, and was told it would probably be longer still, as the increased muscle tension helps hold things together. After the 'revision', my left was now 3/4" longer than my right, and I had to get a 3/4" lift added to my right shoe sole until the right hip could be done. It doesn't 'resolve'...

Good luck with your recovery.

Last edited by Fredo76; 12-22-23 at 06:05 PM.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 12-22-23, 06:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Thanks! This looks closer to 2" at the moment. Oy.