Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Haleakala Fail! (need more excuses)

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 01:49 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

Haleakala has been on my bucket list for many years now. So when my wife began planning our recent vacation to Maui, with my sister and her family, I began to get excited knowing that I’d get to pedal up to the top of Haleakala, take a picture of myself in front of the observation tower and post about it here on BF.

The long story short is that I climbed 6,500 feet, gave up, and turned around totally dejected.

I wasn’t dying, but I was pretty beat up. I could have climbed another thousand feet. Maybe another two thousand feet. And maybe, if I was lucky, even another three thousand feet. But I knew I couldn’t climb further. So I just cut my losses and turned around. It was a physical and mental humiliation.

I have no reason at all for my recent failure. But I’m looking for excuses. If anyone asks, here’s what I have so far:

Excuse Number One:
I did no specific training for this ride. In fact, the month before the ride, I probably had less mileage than I’ve had in years.

Excuse Number Two:
I drank a lot. All I did for the 3 days prior to the climb, was eat, drink and snorkel. Cocktails began by the pool each day around noon. Then we brought a cooler of beers down to the perfect, white sand beaches of Wailea. Then wine with dinner. And finally post dinner music with more cocktails.

Excuse Number Three:
I didn’t eat enough food. The night before the ride, I prepared a PB&J sandwich and set it out with a banana. When I reached 3,500 feet, which is past the last store, I started to get hungry and realized I left my food back at the hotel.

Excuse Number Four:
I couldn’t drink enough water. I had this bright idea to fill a camelbak 3\4 of the way to the top and throw it in the freezer. Then the morning of the ride, I filled the remaining 1\4 with water. I figured as the ice melted, I would have ice cold water the entire way up the volcano. Wrong. I had a block of ice sitting on my back the whole ride up.

Excuse Number Five:
Unnecessary weight slowed me down. When I went to take my first photo, my camera battery died. Always prepared, I reached into my jersey pocket for the spare battery. That one was dead too. One camera and two dead batteries is a lot of extra weight.

But in fairness, I made up for some of the added weight by forgetting my garmin back at the hotel. It was sitting on the table right next to the banana.

Excuse Number Six:
I wasn’t on my road bike. I ride a custom, titanium road bike with Di2. I was on a heavy Bike Friday folding bike with far inferior 105 and a saddle I’m not used to.

Excuse Number Seven:
When I got to about 5,000 feet the clouds got thick and it started raining. Okay, maybe it was more of a light drizzle. But it didn’t help.

Condensed version:
I climbed 6,500 feet, gave up, and turned around. Need more excuses.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-09-12, 01:56 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
no excuses needed. that's a tough ride. I did it in 2009. I was delirious around 9000 feet.
Old 04-09-12, 01:57 PM
blacksquid

Bikes: 2007 Pergoretti Marcelo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Altitude. You didn't train above 10k long enough.
Old 04-09-12, 01:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I wouldn't call those excuses. Any one or two of those things could derail a summit. It's like 3 Mt. Diablos stacked on top of each other, except that the bottom one is hot and humid, and the top one starts at 7000 feet. It's a damn hard ride.

Just learn from those mistakes and next time, you'll do it.
Old 04-09-12, 02:01 PM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
ooo, this sounds like something I need on my bucket list.
Old 04-09-12, 02:07 PM
caphits

Bikes: 2006 DBR Podium 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol.
I feel blasted after a little local hill. Nevermind a monstrosity like that...
Old 04-09-12, 02:07 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
My dad always said to me, "You only ever need one excuse, son".

Anyone one of those is legit. Except maybe the rain - but I'm from the Pacific Northwest.
Old 04-09-12, 02:25 PM
dstrong 

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Interloc Impala, ParkPre Image C6

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
You tried it on a toy bike? Good thing you didn't go any higher...you would have died on the descent when the baby rims overheated and the baby tires asploded. Baby bike bolts EVERYWHERE!

2014 Specialized Roubaix2003 Interloc Impala2007 ParkPre Image C6 (RIP)

Old 04-09-12, 02:29 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,479 Times in 3,223 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrong
...you would have died on the descent when the baby rims overheated and the baby tires asploded. Baby bike bolts EVERYWHERE!
But man! Wouldn't that have made a good thread!
Old 04-09-12, 02:47 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
your prep errors definitely contributed to your failure. I don't see how you would've practiced at high altitude, but the drinking the night before and lack of nutrition on the ride were huge issues.

the drinking thread talked about dehydration to no end and we don't need to rehash it now, but for sure you can't set a PR (which that climb would no doubt be) after having more than 1-2 drinks.
Old 04-09-12, 03:21 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
How about "I'm not superman".

I wanted to go from Texas to ride to the top of Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park, but it wasnt going to happen. I'm sure I could get further now than when I attempted last. No reason to feel shame. Even halfway up Trail Ridge Rd was the most amazing bike ride I have done yet.

There's no fail in an epic ride like that!

Last edited by pallen; 04-09-12 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 03:36 PM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Did your wife sabotage the ride in any way because you sold her bike?
Old 04-09-12, 03:44 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by tuxbailey
Did your wife sabotage the ride in any way because you sold her bike?
Haha. Good one! The answer is no, but that makes me think of another failure excuse.
Aren't prizefighters supposed to abstain from sex the night before the big event?

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-09-12, 03:48 PM
SuperGregNo1

Bikes: MGX Atlas

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tuxbailey
did your wife sabotage the ride in any way because you sold her bike?
lol
Old 04-09-12, 03:52 PM
elemtee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
deeper sleep can never be a bad thing.
Old 04-09-12, 04:00 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bah, I just wish you had pics. Given that you were on Maui doing what people do (eat, drink and snorkel) you did pretty good. In fact, it would have been way less cool if you did all sorts of crazy mountain training before and were properly prepared. Boozin' for days before and giving it a shot on one of them crazy folding bikes, it would have been epic if you made it to the top.
Old 04-09-12, 04:03 PM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
"All the freds whizzing by me on the downhill tour created a headwind to put Hell's Gate to shame!
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...28long-pics%29
Old 04-09-12, 04:14 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by blacksquid
Altitude. You didn't train above 10k long enough.
Altitude is definitely a factor. But where does one train above 10k?

A couple of weeks back I was on the Big Island, and drove up to the Mauna Kea observatory just shy of 14,000ft. I'm pretty fit right now but with my bronchitis, I'd think long and hard before attempting Haleakala - next summer is my goal.
Old 04-09-12, 04:32 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
I'm a climbaholic but hanging out by the beach, soaking in the views seems less intense.

I mean, if you were willing to lug all the crap (portable bike, Camelback, camera, etc.), you might as well have opted to install a motor for bailout situations.

That's my advice for next trip, install a bottom bracket motor for special situations. Then you can sip on your Corona or whatever you were drinking and climb at the same time.
Old 04-09-12, 04:43 PM
icyclist 
Spin Meister

Bikes: Trek Émonda, 1961 Follis (French) road bike (I'm the original owner), a fixie, a mountain bike, etc.

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 16 Posts
"Aren't prizefighters supposed to abstain from sex the night before the big event?"

You aren't a prizefighter, so theoretically sex before your ride was possible. However, you're married. So sex before your big event? Yeah, right!
Old 04-09-12, 04:58 PM
valygrl

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Haleakala fail still sounds like vacation win to me.

I honeymooned on the Big Island in January. Next time I go back to HI, Haleakala is on the list for sure.
Old 04-09-12, 05:09 PM
trustbran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should have prayed to the Hawaiian Gods for strength up Haleakala! That was your first mistake brah!

Mahalo,
Brandon
Old 04-09-12, 06:11 PM
ultraman6970

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sincerely i doubt that volcano is even close to these ones...specially because just to get to any of these ones you have to ride at least 2 hours uphill from the closest town and you are already over 7000 to 10000 meters over the sea level that is just when the curves start. Probably you need to train more... or climbing technique is bad, or both. The other key thing is that you need a team to go with you to give you at least water, if nobody went with you (trow away the camel back that thing doesn't work, specially on this situations) in a car with fresh water then... there you have the problem. You need support or you are condemn to fail...

Last edited by ultraman6970; 04-09-12 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-09-12, 06:52 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I have ridden most of the big climbs in the US and Haleakala is right up there near the top in terms of difficulty. There isn't many places where you have to climb steady for 35 miles with absolutely no breaks except stopping to rest. That is mentally one of the hardest climbs I have ever done. It just seems endless. Then you get to the park entrance and you can see all the switchbacks still ahead.

I think your real mistake is that you underestimated it by quite a bit. You really have to bring your A-game to that climb. You definitely aren't the only one to be humbled up that climb though. You are lucky to have had the experience. You won't make the same mistakes the next time you try a major climb like this.
Old 04-09-12, 07:01 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
not being familiar with the bike-friday bikes, is it harder to climb on such a thing vs a regular road bike?

also its been a few years since I went up there and all i have is good memories. But looking back on it....it was seriously the hardest thing i've ever done in my life. I was to back to maui the year after for a conference and someone asked me if i was going to ride up Haleakala again...my answer - F no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.