Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

the golden age of steel?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

the golden age of steel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-13, 09:29 AM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the golden age of steel?

I've been mostly taking day trips and short tours for the last 2 years on my LHT with bags full of food and beverages and cameras and all that stuff, but now I'm getting in good enough shape to want to try some faster striped down riding as well. I'm old and sorta set in my ways ( and on a fixed income) and I just can't get with the new bikes. Then again, I'm not enamoured with the vintage stuff either. From my recent research, it seems that there was a period from the late 90s to the mid 2000s when there were well designed welded steel bikes that had modern components and are available in a price range that I can handle right now 600-1000 USD. For example a LeMond Zurich

I don't know if this was the golden age of steel frames from a performance standpoint, and I'm sure there isn't one answer....just curious about what folks think.

BTW... 54-55 31 stand over if you have something for me

Thanks!
Old 03-17-13, 09:50 AM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i would imagine you'll get a lot of argument, as always, about a definition, whether it's "golden age" or anything else. but IMO, there were a lot of excellent bicycle frames and forks made during the late 90's and the mid 2000's. they should be comparatively inexpensive about now.
Old 03-17-13, 10:00 AM
triggahiccups
Hump

Bikes: Gios Compact System, De Rosa SLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get Bianchi Classica Steel throwback bikes complete for less than $1000. Of course they come with 2300's but still excellent bikes for the money.

For example:
https://www.bianchiusa.com/bikes/road/steel/brava
Old 03-17-13, 10:12 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You should certainly be able to pick up a good example of a ten year-old steel bike with a relatively modern groupset for a sum well within your budget.

But you may not have to go that far back. Kona make nice steel bikes. You could probably get a deal on a 2012 ***** Tonk that would meet your budget, too.

Edit. Wow, now we have a censor function that takes exception to the name of a bike. So I can't post a link because the word Hon k y is replaced by asterisks. Absurd.

Last edited by chasm54; 03-17-13 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-17-13, 10:46 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Golden age of steel mid 90's to 2000? Puleese. See below, my steel Italian bike I purchased in 1976 and still going strong.

Old 03-17-13, 11:01 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
Trek 520. Great bike loaded down and a nice quick ride stripped down
Old 03-17-13, 11:21 AM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the 70's and maybe the 80's were the golden age of steel bikes. I recently bought a '97 Klein (Aluminum) and I love it- and I also want to keep my eyes open for a vintage steel frame- like a De Rosa or 859 Lemond. I think if I got a good deal on a complete bike, I'd ride it "as is"- downtube shifters and all....otherwise, just buy a frame, and build it up with more modern components. But really, the only big diofference between the older stuff and the newer, is the STI brifters.....which are nice...but not a deal-breaker, IMO, if a bike doesn't have 'em. I mean, your LHT doesn't have brifters anyway, right?

I'm definitely with you, though- these modern plastic look-a-like bikes do nothing for me.
Old 03-17-13, 11:23 AM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 120 Posts
lenA, "Golden" Ages imply someone like myself looking back at the bicycles/cars/motorcycles of their youth and seeing them in both nostalgic and functional terms, which explains some crazy-stupid prices being paid for the SL/Muscle/Cafe' of one's "Golden Age". I've found it most rewarding to buy "just behind" the curve in all three of those vehicular categories and snap up lightly used quality examples that are just un-cool for rock bottom prices. In fact I just did that last week on lugged frame Soma. Be exacting in your fit & function requirements and enjoy the search, your time range is replete with quality machines gathering dust waiting for rescue.
Old 03-17-13, 02:17 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
A few thoughts

• If you drop $1000 on a 15-20 year old bike, and are not good with bike mechanics, chances are you'll rack up enough repair costs that you might as well have bought a new bike anyway.

• There's a few modern steel bikes which are probably just as good as a 20 yr old steel deal -- Jamis, Soma, Surly, Salsa etc

• I really don't notice a difference between my 80s steel bike and my 2011 aluminum bike, except that the new one is ~5 pounds lighter.

On a side note, if I was older and getting into road biking after touring, I'd consider an endurance bike -- e.g. Specialized Secteur or Cdale Synapse. Smooth ride, reasonably light, stable handling.
Old 03-17-13, 03:11 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
There's a resurgence of high-end steel road bikes today. The best road bike honours at NAHBS a couple of weeks back was this Reynolds steel-framed Bishop. Integrated Di2 and Enve wheels? Enough said.

And check out this stainless steel Passoni. Neither are inexpensive. As much as I'm a carbon junkie, this Passoni is hot.
Old 03-17-13, 03:22 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Steel....adorned with Di2 and carbon? Heresy!!

Dunno about the OP, but personally, I'd like the ride of steel...without paying more for it than what my truck cost!
Old 03-17-13, 05:08 PM
lenA
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Surly LHT 2005 LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
lenA, "Golden" Ages imply someone like myself looking back at the bicycles/cars/motorcycles of their youth and seeing them in both nostalgic and functional terms, which explains some crazy-stupid prices being paid for the SL/Muscle/Cafe' of one's "Golden Age". I've found it most rewarding to buy "just behind" the curve in all three of those vehicular categories and snap up lightly used quality examples that are just un-cool for rock bottom prices. In fact I just did that last week on lugged frame Soma. Be exacting in your fit & function requirements and enjoy the search, your time range is replete with quality machines gathering dust waiting for rescue.
In one of my other areas of interest (acoustic guitars) golden age represents the highest level of refinement and quality, which in that case (and not easily debatable) are the ones that are currently being produced, but I gather that the last of the mainstream steel frame era might not necessarily be the peak of that material's engineering.

I think I'll keep looking for a steel deal.

Thanks
Old 03-17-13, 05:21 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mpath
Reynolds steel-framed Bishop. Integrated Di2 and Enve wheels? Enough said.
Di2 alone will blow the OP's budget.
Old 03-17-13, 05:54 PM
marqueemoon
or tarckeemoon, depending

Bikes: Davidson Impulse, Merckx Titanium AX, Bruce Gordon Rock & Road, Cross Check custom build, On-One Il Pomino, Shawver Cycles cross, Zion 737, Mercian Vincitore, Brompton S1L, Charge Juicer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Those steel Lemonds are great bikes. If the fit is right go for it.
Old 03-17-13, 05:59 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I'm a huge fan of how the Felt F4130 looks. No idea how it rides, and I'm unlikely to get it, but it's just PRETTY.

Old 03-17-13, 06:09 PM
Bandera
~>~

[I think I'll keep looking for a steel deal.]

And well you should, they are out there.

Looking for the analogue of a classic Martin ( BTW I know Nothing about guitars ) at your price point may be fruitless, but you may luck out.

My advise is to concentrate on:

1) Fit. Take it from someone who bought a '68 Paramount that was too tall. Fit trumps spec, price and all else.

2) Functional Requirements: What is the machine to do? Forget make/material/color/age/pedigree/etc.
Is it to be a lightweight Audax/Clubman/Century ride? A criterium bike?
Whichever function requires unique features: fender clearance, high BB, beefy stays, etc.. No feature no deal. Well designed maker/materials matter less, if at all. The most Golden Age criterium bike I owned was misery on long training rides, but looked cool (sold it).

I like my steel bikes. They fit me and my Town, Fixed and Clubman requirements and experience/size/style/budget/aesthetics.

Have fun w/ your search, stick strictly to 1) & 2) and your patience will be rewarded.

I'm still riding my '74 International that I built up new out of the box. It fits well in all roles and met and meets my requirements almost 40 years on.
Old 03-17-13, 06:33 PM
Bandera
~>~

Originally Posted by lenA
I gather that the last of the mainstream steel frame era might not necessarily be the peak of that material's engineering.
lenA,

Perhaps not but modern mass produced steel frames are a mature technology, how "good to go" need it be?

A new custom Waterford, and others, is Peak.
Peak quality = Peak $.
Same w/ guitars & hammers I'd imagine.

The Soma Stanyan that I snapped up last week meets my Fit & Requirements but was mass mfg. in 2011, straight & clean.

I've seen & ridden some "Golden Age Classics" that were at best dicey in construction and some of amazing craftsmanship.

BTW

Have a competent shop check alignment for you, there are a lot of rusted/crashed wrecks as well a dusty diamonds out there.

Last edited by Bandera; 03-17-13 at 06:37 PM. Reason: spelllinyg
Old 03-17-13, 06:35 PM
MetalPedaler
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lenA
In one of my other areas of interest (acoustic guitars) golden age represents the highest level of refinement and quality, which in that case (and not easily debatable) are the ones that are currently being produced, but I gather that the last of the mainstream steel frame era might not necessarily be the peak of that material's engineering.

I think I'll keep looking for a steel deal.

Thanks
This is right on!

We're not talking about from OUR golden age....but from the age when they were produced to the height of their beauty and functionality...and in great numbers, at that.

I'll bet it would cost $10K to buy a new bike today that replicates what one an have in a vintage bike for anywhere from $140* to $1400- if it can be replicated at all. Even steel itself isn't what it used to be.

[*=See the deal someone got in this thread over in C&V: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Champion-find]
Old 03-17-13, 06:39 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
From a performance per dollar perspective, you won't do better in steel than a tig welded Reynolds 853 frame with 9 speed Shimano or 10 speed Campy from the late 90s to early 00s. From a pure performance perspective the best steel bikes ever made are made today.
Old 03-17-13, 06:40 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MetalPedaler
This is right on!

We're not talking about from OUR golden age....but from the age when they were produced to the height of their beauty and functionality...and in great numbers, at that.

I'll bet it would cost $10K to buy a new bike today that replicates what one an have in a vintage bike for anywhere from $140* to $1400- if it can be replicated at all. Even steel itself isn't what it used to be.

[*=See the deal someone got in this thread over in C&V: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Champion-find]
It's better.
Old 03-17-13, 07:32 PM
Arabesque

Bikes: Arabesque

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the OP is looking for a bike made in the '90s with SL/SLX with a first generation Campy integrated brake/shifters around the $1k mark.

With the re-introducton of the brand new Master 30th from Colnago which I saw in a shop with a tag of $9k, demand for old Italian steel bikes might just become popular again.
Old 03-17-13, 08:52 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Golden age of steel mid 90's to 2000? Puleese. See below, my steel Italian bike I purchased in 1976 and still going strong.

I like how you didn't consign this to the vintage restoration category but upgraded it with modern components.
Old 03-17-13, 09:14 PM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Arabesque
With the re-introducton of the brand new Master 30th from Colnago which I saw in a shop with a tag of $9k, demand for old Italian steel bikes might just become popular again.
Sans DT shifters though.....
Old 03-17-13, 10:34 PM
Nick Bain

Bikes: Caad8, Mukluk 3, Trek Superfly, Gary Fisher Irwin.

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah, If you were to use the term golden age the first thing that comes to mind is ornate lugged steel frames.
Old 03-18-13, 06:52 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 411 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
From a performance per dollar perspective, you won't do better in steel than a tig welded Reynolds 853 frame with 9 speed Shimano or 10 speed Campy from the late 90s to early 00s. From a pure performance perspective the best steel bikes ever made are made today.
+1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.