Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Observations on Weight Loss

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Observations on Weight Loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-19, 02:04 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Frankly I'm amazed you were willing to sit through more than a minute or two. I wasn't willing to watch long enough to even find out what his "secret magical" diet strategy was.
Ironically, I was up late after a hard ride (2.5 hours in the afternoon and 1 hour before bed) and I was drinking straight sugar water laced with "lite salt" (potassium and sodium) to replenish my glycogen so I could bike today and have some energy available. It's like I was doing everything "wrong" while watching the video.
Likes For guachi:
Old 08-28-19, 02:16 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
Ironically, I was up late after a hard ride (2.5 hours in the afternoon and 1 hour before bed) and I was drinking straight sugar water laced with "lite salt" (potassium and sodium) to replenish my glycogen so I could bike today and have some energy available. It's like I was doing everything "wrong" while watching the video.
Well, it was nice knowing you for this short time. But clearly you're going to die soon, so I'm not going to get too attached.
Old 08-28-19, 02:34 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10175 Post(s)
Liked 5,871 Times in 3,160 Posts
Originally Posted by radroad
The medical industry and medical research are so corrupted by corporations like monsanto you'd be a fool to believe ANY research findings from mainstream "medical" and "scientific" sources. All mainstream doctors have sold out to the pharmaceutical companies. All of them. And this has been true for at least two decades, probably longer.
Mainstream medical researcher and physician, here. Still waiting for that big payoff from Pharma.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 08-28-19, 03:47 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Do you really expect people to take you seriously when you say things like this?
Hard to argue intelligently with.
Old 08-28-19, 04:04 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I disagree with people who believe that CICO is the best way to loose weight...For most people who are not morbidly obese it's far better to keep your calories the same or even higher and increase energy expenditure instead. What you need is not weight loss but what you need is fat loss. Weight training and resistance training is one of the best ways to loose fat and build muscle at the same time, but in order to sustain weight raining workouts you need to eat a lot. I don't like CICO because when you cut calories and starve yourself you will loose muscle tissue and your performance will go down the toilet. People fail to realize the importance of maintaining muscle...Muscle burns calories but in order to build muscle you need to eat and not starve yourself...There is no one size fits all approach to fat loss and everybody has different needs...If you have only about 10 or 20 pounds to loose , it's very east to accomplish it without cutting calories. A person who is 100 pounds overweight may have to do some calories cutting temporarily until their weight stabilizes.
Old 08-28-19, 05:11 PM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
And that's where I realized there wouldn't be any value in watching those videos.
Correct. If you have already formed an opinion on no evidence, watching the videos would be a complete waste of your time and you might as well do something more enjoyable.
Old 08-28-19, 05:24 PM
JoeKahno

Originally Posted by guachi
He erects strawman arguments attributing them to "everyone".

His argument, and the only study he shows that isn't a straw man, is that of the Big Loser contestants.

Eating less is bad but eating nothing is better. That's his argument. He provides one study about fasting for 4 days showing no ill effects. He then suggests you can fast for 12 hours, 12 days, or even 382 days and provides no evidence whatsoever on the effects of fasting that long.

He ends his talk with woo. We should fast because Jesus thought it was good.

There's more but I'm on my phone and typing is a pain. That 36 minute video was crap.
There is a reason I included links to both the short video and the six hour detailed series. Those who are interested in the decades of studies done by other researchers on which he based his opinions can view the details. If you don't wish to invest that much time and effort, then don't. But if you watch the short video, then criticize it for lack of detail and failing to cite sources...
Old 08-28-19, 05:44 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I disagree with people who believe that CICO is the best way to loose weight...For most people who are not morbidly obese it's far better to keep your calories the same or even higher and increase energy expenditure instead.
I'm confused, you say you don't think CICO is the best way to lose weight, but then you immediately propose using CICO to lose weight.
Old 08-28-19, 05:47 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by JoeKahno
Correct. If you have already formed an opinion on no evidence, watching the videos would be a complete waste of your time and you might as well do something more enjoyable.
How did you get the impression that my opinion is based on "no evidence"? It's quite the opposite in fact. When you made a statement that directly contradicted pretty much ALL the evidence I realized that it would be a waste to commit more time to learning about your beliefs.
Old 08-28-19, 06:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Wrong. I ridicule you, because you say ridiculous things that are based on pseudo science.

Oh, and for the record, I wasn't implying that "resetting" the immune system leads to weight loss. I was ridiculing the fact that:
1. You think it's somehow possible, or desirable to reset someones immune system
2. You think that starving yourself is how this gets done
Everyone knows that the real way to reset your immune system is to say "control alt delete" .
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-28-19, 06:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I'm confused, you say you don't think CICO is the best way to lose weight, but then you immediately propose using CICO to lose weight.
I said don't cut calories but use greater energy expenditure instead to control bodyweight...Every time a thread on loosing weight comes up people jump on the bandwagon of calorie restriction and starvation diets to loose weight. My point was that you don't necessarily need to cut calories in order to loose weight.
Old 08-28-19, 06:37 PM
JoeKahno

How did you get the impression that my opinion is based on "no evidence"? It's quite the opposite in fact. When you made a statement that directly contradicted pretty much ALL the evidence I realized that it would be a waste to commit more time to learning about your beliefs.
No, I made a statement without detailed explanation that contradicted your personal bias and you seized on it as an excuse to avoid further investigation.

The human race has survived for a couple hundred thousand years eating anything that could be chewed and swallowed in whatever quantity they could get their hands on. Obesity was fairly rare, regardless of the wide range of diets available or how hard they had to work to keep themselves fed. Chronic, morbid, obesity has only reached epidemic proportions in the first world nations during the last few decades.

Claiming that my statement contradicts *ALL* evidence leads me to believe you're pretty selective regarding what you consider evidence. You'll continue to believe whatever you choose to believe and I'll go ride my bike.

Life is good.
Old 08-28-19, 06:37 PM
Gorrister

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I see we’ve been arguing with a libertarian anti vaxxer who believes cavemen lived for 200 years. So, resistant to logic. It’s like arguing with a born again Christian about the existence of god; pointless. Eat something maybe you won’t be so cranky 😂
Old 08-28-19, 06:41 PM
Gorrister

Regarding GMOs, as someone who used to work on small organic farms, I’ve railed against them for years as they are used as a tool by large industrial food conglomerates to obliterate small farmers and control the food supply. However, misinformed people jumped into the fray saying that GMOs are bad for you, which there is no evidence of, and derailed the conversation losing credibility on our side. So yeah, GMOs are bad for you in a social sense, but health wise, there’s no evidence. Not to mention that everything we eat has been bred into existence by humans. That’s not the exact same thing as genetic modification, but the outcome is similar.
Likes For Gorrister:
Old 08-28-19, 07:20 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by Gorrister
Regarding GMOs, as someone who used to work on small organic farms, I’ve railed against them for years as they are used as a tool by large industrial food conglomerates to obliterate small farmers and control the food supply. However, misinformed people jumped into the fray saying that GMOs are bad for you, which there is no evidence of, and derailed the conversation losing credibility on our side. So yeah, GMOs are bad for you in a social sense, but health wise, there’s no evidence. Not to mention that everything we eat has been bred into existence by humans. That’s not the exact same thing as genetic modification, but the outcome is similar.
Great observation. I see both sides of the social issue and am more tolerant, prefering to deal with issues case by case rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater but the disconnect between social and health concerns is spot on.
Old 08-28-19, 07:39 PM
Gorrister

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Great observation. I see both sides of the social issue and am more tolerant, prefering to deal with issues case by case rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater but the disconnect between social and health concerns is spot on.
Agreed, GMOs definitely have their merits. For example, instead of modifying tomatoes to be resistant to herbicides, they can modify tomatoes to be resistant to the tomato blight that seems to hit every other year where I’m from. That increases a farmer’s productivity without the negative social implications. Also to speak further on the health thing, the herbicides and pesticides that GMOs enable certainly aren’t good for us, so that’s the angle I would take on the health side of the argument. But now I’m just derailing this already insane thread even further lol
Old 08-28-19, 08:37 PM
Craluce

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bicycle exercise

Remember that the bicycle is one of the most efficient human inventions, tough for weight loss.
Old 08-28-19, 08:43 PM
OBoile

No, I made a statement without detailed explanation that contradicted your personal bias and you seized on it as an excuse to avoid further investigation.
The laws of thermodynamics aren't exactly my "personal bias".
The human race has survived for a couple hundred thousand years eating anything that could be chewed and swallowed in whatever quantity they could get their hands on. Obesity was fairly rare, regardless of the wide range of diets available or how hard they had to work to keep themselves fed. Chronic, morbid, obesity has only reached epidemic proportions in the first world nations during the last few decades.
Not sure what your point is here. You aren't saying anything new or revolutionary. People who's main goal is generally not to starve to death usually aren't obese.
Claiming that my statement contradicts *ALL* evidence leads me to believe you're pretty selective regarding what you consider evidence. You'll continue to believe whatever you choose to believe and I'll go ride my bike.
I said "pretty much all the evidence". Do you have any evidence that actually proves how much you eat doesn't matter like you claim? How about a study were people consume, oh lets say 6,000 calories per day, yet don't gain weight? Anything like that?
Life is good.
Indeed it is.
Old 08-28-19, 08:44 PM
OBoile

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I said don't cut calories but use greater energy expenditure instead to control bodyweight...
So... CICO?

BTW I agree completely that strength training is great for improving body composition. But, the idea that you can gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously is only somewhat true. Most people, outside of beginners, don't do very well trying to do both at once.
Old 09-01-19, 04:06 PM
sirjag

Bikes: Giant Contend SL 1 Disc

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Nope, this is the type of dangerous thinking that allows the anti-vaxxer stuff to maintain hold. There's a lot of unbiased public health research happening, so I won't stand by and allow people to besmirch good research done by some folks I know and respect.
Thank you so much for this. I feel the same way Sir. I lost a friend to this madness, quit his job (6 figures), moved into a trailer in Leadville CO with three kids under 6, away from schools, doctors, you name it....And one of his kids is def on the spectrum and needs medical attention...

He told me before he left that all the medical industry was a scam, cancer was scam to create cancer drugs, all for profit......

JAG
Old 09-01-19, 05:15 PM
Happy Feet

It's only my theory but I think we in the first world have achieved such a plateau of health compared to previous generations that we are now inventing stuff to be worried about. Food is plentiful, affordable, and wider in variety than ever before so now we worry about filtered water, GMO boogeymen, imaginary benefits of organic, "clean" food etc... The third world must think we are nuts.

We live longer, stay healthy longer, and cure more diseases... must be a conspiracy.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-01-19, 05:58 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
@Happy: the U.S. isn't nearly as advanced as you suggest in terms of life expectancy.
Old 09-01-19, 07:15 PM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
@Happy: the U.S. isn't nearly as advanced as you suggest in terms of life expectancy.
It is in terms of previous generations in regards to food access and disease prevention. We only think certain food issues are drastic because we have forgotten what wide spread famine looks like. We worry about hearsay vax issues because we haven't gone through a round of small pox or polio for a while. Have few million affected by easily controlled diseases or laying in the streets from malnutrition and many of those worries would go out the window.

Almost all health issues now are lifestyle related. Even fast food in itself isn't bad when consumed in moderation. What we have is a sedentary crisis combined with a convenience issue and in the US, perhaps an access to health care problem.

If people developed an overall active lifestyle, ate basic health food for the most part, and avoided abusing potentially harmful substances we have what we need already available without going all crazy neurotic on the food supply.

I think one of the biggest issues directly related to food is how unhealthy over processed, high carb and low nutrition food is far less expensive than healthier choices. This leads to a socioeconomic disparity where well off people tend to eat better while poor people eat quantity but not quality. They are full but not on the right stuff. The solution so far seems to be to create even higher priced "clean" foods than only benefit the well off but are out of reach for those that need healthier solutions, especially families on a fixed or low income. Poor food on a regular basis leads to other health issues like diabetes and heart disease.

Rather than focusing on clean/pure/fileterd/organic/non gmo... my message would be:

1. Get active on a regular basis
2. Prepare your own foods
3. Moderation

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-01-19 at 07:33 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 09-01-19, 07:48 PM
Gorrister

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
It is in terms of previous generations in regards to food access and disease prevention. We only think certain food issues are drastic because we have forgotten what wide spread famine looks like. We worry about hearsay vax issues because we haven't gone through a round of small pox or polio for a while. Have few million affected by easily controlled diseases or laying in the streets from malnutrition and many of those worries would go out the window.

Almost all health issues now are lifestyle related. Even fast food in itself isn't bad when consumed in moderation. What we have is a sedentary crisis combined with a convenience issue and in the US, perhaps an access to health care problem.

If people developed an overall active lifestyle, ate basic health food for the most part, and avoided abusing potentially harmful substances we have what we need already available without going all crazy neurotic on the food supply.

I think one of the biggest issues directly related to food is how unhealthy over processed, high carb and low nutrition food is far less expensive than healthier choices. This leads to a socioeconomic disparity where well off people tend to eat better while poor people eat quantity but not quality. They are full but not on the right stuff. The solution so far seems to be to create even higher priced "clean" foods than only benefit the well off but are out of reach for those that need healthier solutions, especially families on a fixed or low income. Poor food on a regular basis leads to other health issues like diabetes and heart disease.

Rather than focusing on clean/pure/fileterd/organic/non gmo... my message would be:

1. Get active on a regular basis
2. Prepare your own foods
3. Moderation
I cannot “100%” all of this enough. Right on.
Old 09-01-19, 08:40 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Well, hmm, we do Weight Watcher. And we are not overweight nor have ever been overweight. I am 5-10 and 156 pounds. I, every day, pass on all the snacks, sugar soft drinks, beer, pizza, the donuts my boss brought in, the ice cream, chips, chocolate and fast foods and basically starve myself. You cannot exercise away the amount of food/calories most people eat even when they think they are dieting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.