Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

28 hole front rim - hub - spokes - etc

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-08, 09:42 PM
C_LOGAN
Hammer Time

Bikes: Paconi, Hillman, Sun Tourer + Mongoose Tetra SX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,

I have recently come accross a set if gipiemme 28 hole V rims. I am having trouble finding a cheap front hub for it and am wondering if anyone could suggest a place that will ship internationally (to australia) which sells these sorts of things.

Also, when I finally do pick up a hub, will I need a different grade of spokes? Or can I use regular stainless steel. Also the rims have no eyelets - should I use nipple washers?? I do weigh 110kg, so I am not light - but I will only be using the front wheel at first to see how I like the rims.. I will be sure to build the back one stronger..

I am pretty new at building these sorts of rims.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 02-25-08, 09:47 PM
bcart1991
Hip to the Game.

Bikes: Kona Lava Dome, Kapu 853

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Aren't the Velocity guys over there in Oz? Maybe they have something you can use?

I take it there's no Aussie branch of ebay?
Old 02-25-08, 09:50 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1009 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 705 Posts
I wouldn't recommend that few of spokes for a person of your weight, unless they're strong deep v rims, but they could be fine. You shouldn't need any special spokes. 14/15/14 double butted will fine. You'd have to be more specific on the rim model for people here to tell you if you need washers or not.

As for hubs, just run a search for 28 on ebay under the rims and hubs category. Plenty of sellers will ship to Australia.
Old 02-25-08, 10:59 PM
C_LOGAN
Hammer Time

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the responses - the rims are Gipiemme XR-30s. There is not too much info on them, but they appear quite well built.

I have checked on eBay and have found a few items that may be suitable. I was just wondering if there might be any more options, such as large internet bike stores, etc. I usually buy from eBay but I want to know if there are any other stores which may have these.. NOS dealers, or whatnot..

I can pick up a dura ace hub for $85 near my house, but it is second hand and has been filed to fit bladed forks - but too expensive and structurally compromised so I will give it a miss..
Old 02-25-08, 11:03 PM
C_LOGAN
Hammer Time

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bcart1991
Aren't the Velocity guys over there in Oz? Maybe they have something you can use?

I take it there's no Aussie branch of ebay?
Hi, just checked the velocity website and found a 28h hub-- if the price is right I might go for it, otherwise back to the drawing board.