Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Headphones when riding

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Headphones when riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-19, 07:54 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by 905
Congrats on your accomplishment. I was a kindergarten dropout. Unfortunately they didn’t take me seriously and I was chucked into first grade anyway, despite a clear lack of academic credentials.

As for giving yourself a break, I couldn’t agree more. That’s what walks in the countryside are for: when I can actually hear the birds and the bees and the occasional dogging in the pines. Bike rides? Not so much. When you’ve heard* a chain running around the rings a few hundred thousand times it kind of loses its ability to captivate for hours at a time.

* just how distinctive is it? Does your drivetrain require maintenance?
Effing A this
Old 02-09-19, 09:09 PM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
I choose not to wear headphones while riding. While riding on local multi-use paths, I regularly encounter walkers and cyclists wearing headphones/earbuds who are oblivious to the world around them posing some small to moderate risk to themselves, me and others when they are unable to hear what's happening around them. My goal is to not get hurt and not hurt anyone else. I'd prefer that hearing folks would make their ears available on the path but since I can't control that, I just have to cycle defensively.

As for those cyclists and many respondents in this thread that claim their safety is not impaired by wearing headphones/earbuds, I'll just have to take their word at face value since neither they nor I have any objective evidence to substantiate their claim that headphones/earbuds do not make their rides less safe.
Old 02-09-19, 09:41 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
Originally Posted by ericcc65
I have an inner ear condition in my right ear and I can't use headphones. But only using one headphone sucks because some music sources don't have the option to output mono. So I bought some headphones from Scan Sound. The ones I linked to will mix both channels to one output, and only has one earbud. If you're in the USA I'd get one of those and put it on the right ear (less traffic on your right side). Be sure to choose the correct model. I have a couple of them but when there's a lot of noise the ones that have the sealed earbud work best.

they make stereo to mono mono ear buds.
Old 02-09-19, 10:45 PM
ericcc65
Eric C.

Bikes: CAAD9-1, Trek XM700+, Novara Zealo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach

they make stereo to mono mono ear buds.
Because of my condition I can't put earbuds in both ears. So one of them would be a waste anyway. That means the ScanSound single ear-bud solution that mixes to stereo to the one mono output is perfect for me.
Old 02-14-19, 05:36 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
Do you also refrain from listening to your car radio? Or is a car radio fine but a bike ride should be silence?
Do you wear a helmet in your car? Or can we agree that those are two separate situations?
Old 02-14-19, 06:04 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Your false equivalence is showing. Race car drivers wear their helmets in their cars.

What I think @rachel120 was referring to is that riding a bike on the streets and driving a car on the streets are just different modes for the same function. There's no reason listening to music should be any more or less safe on a bike relative to a car. Luxury cars are so soundproofed, drivers may as well have noise-cancelling headphones on.
Old 02-14-19, 06:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by zowie
Baseball in one ear during the summer. Cheap-o buds because they don't need to sound good and occasionally get damaged.
It's not that it enhances my riding, like music might. I just don't want to miss the games. Or the ride.
Same. When the Giants are on the east coast, games start at 4:30 and it's nice to listen on the commute. Exactly as I would if I were driving a car.
Old 02-15-19, 10:15 AM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Same. When the Giants are on the east coast, games start at 4:30 and it's nice to listen on the commute. Exactly as I would if I were driving a car.
I like your sig quote!