Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Biway vs Giant Crosscut impressions

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-20, 12:06 PM
zarbog

Bikes: Giant SLR GX1 Toughroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts

I recently replaced my stock Crosscuts that came on the Giant Toughroad with WTB Biway's in 40 mm. I had just under 2500 km's on the Crosscuts and not knowing any better was pretty happy with them for all around riding, except they were noisy. I have 180 km's on the Biways now. I ran the crosscuts at 50 front and 55psi rear, the biway at 40psi and 44 psi, and have not tried other settings since installed. I weigh 194 ilbs.

First thing I noticed was how quiet the Biways are, no more tire hum. They are noticeably more comfortable that the stock tires by a long shot, maybe its the tire pressure but I could not run the crosscuts that low. Have not noticed any real difference in handling, have hit 45 kmph going downhill on hardpack with fine gravel over top without skidding around, Felt pretty safe. On rougher and larger gravel road the comfort level was very nice and again felt safe riding at speed. Rail trail with hard pack cinder and softer forest sections are a breeze. Big gain is on the street, I have picked up a few kmph. I have not ridden in the rain, or through long sections of mud, and have not tried them out in the woods either.

Installing them on the stock rims was a breeze. I replaced the factory tape with Gorilla tape and the tires installed without tools, using soapy water and gas station compressor, then the next day pouring sealant in through the valve.

These are my first non stock tires and the experience has been very pleasant so far.
Old 08-06-20, 08:36 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
On the Giant bikes we sell we often recommend changing out those tires asap. They mask the great ride of the bike, are slow, noisy and have a crappy ride (all of which you have noticed as well). We even had a pair of GK slicks installed on one Giant bike so folks could ride both side by side and compare the difference a decent tire can make on a moderate priced bike. Those things are simply awful tires; you can ride them while flat and they feel the same as when they have propper air in them. We have told Giant on several occasions that we could sell a lot more Revolts if the bike made a better impression on a test ride with a much better stock tire.

Last edited by dwmckee; 08-07-20 at 05:41 PM.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 08-07-20, 06:25 AM
jcg878

Bikes: make me happy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I have hated the stock Crosscuts on my Revolt Advanced 2 from day 1. They're rough, slow, not particularly grippy, and heavy. I bought a set of carbon wheels from someone bc I didn't like the wheels either and switched to WTB Riddlers at the same time. My experience is masked by 2 changes at once, but the tires are clearly more supple, quieter, and roll faster. The new wheel/tire combination also holds air better - the stock wheels/tires lost air quite quickly. This upgrade has transformed the bike into what I hoped it would be - a fun gravel bike that also makes for a great all-around bike. With stock wheels and tires it was too slow for that niche for me.
Old 08-07-20, 06:32 AM
grubetown

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by zarbog
I recently replaced my stock Crosscuts that came on the Giant Toughroad with WTB Biway's in 40 mm. I had just under 2500 km's on the Crosscuts and not knowing any better was pretty happy with them for all around riding, except they were noisy. I have 180 km's on the Biways now. I ran the crosscuts at 50 front and 55psi rear, the biway at 40psi and 44 psi, and have not tried other settings since installed. I weigh 194 ilbs.

First thing I noticed was how quiet the Biways are, no more tire hum. They are noticeably more comfortable that the stock tires by a long shot, maybe its the tire pressure but I could not run the crosscuts that low. Have not noticed any real difference in handling, have hit 45 kmph going downhill on hardpack with fine gravel over top without skidding around, Felt pretty safe. On rougher and larger gravel road the comfort level was very nice and again felt safe riding at speed. Rail trail with hard pack cinder and softer forest sections are a breeze. Big gain is on the street, I have picked up a few kmph. I have not ridden in the rain, or through long sections of mud, and have not tried them out in the woods either.

Installing them on the stock rims was a breeze. I replaced the factory tape with Gorilla tape and the tires installed without tools, using soapy water and gas station compressor, then the next day pouring sealant in through the valve.

These are my first non stock tires and the experience has been very pleasant so far.
Great review. Now try running less pressure in the Byway and experience in even more pleasant ride!