Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Pre-Waxed Chains?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-24, 05:23 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Pre-Waxed Chains?

Even though I work in a bike shop I still get surprised!
A few days a guy buys 2 11 speed chains for a bike we are servicing. He wants to take them home and wax them and then return them for use to finish the service. So yesterday he comes in to return the chains as he bought a Silca prewaxed chain @ $100!
I wax all my chains at home but apparently the Silca chain "special" wax.
Wow $100 chain.
Old 04-06-24, 08:04 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
I might go $100 on a lubed for life chain.
But a waxed chain lasts me 4-6 weeks and needs another dip.

Barry
Old 04-06-24, 08:52 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Silca does an excellent job of separating people from money.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-06-24, 10:49 PM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
I certainly wouldn’t pay it because I like to do things myself and have the time, but I understand that if you have enough money and value your time more than the dollar cost of about $50 on top of the chain itself, it’s a perfectly good option.
Likes For NumbersGuy:
Old 04-06-24, 11:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4371 Post(s)
Liked 4,011 Times in 2,677 Posts
Silca does some neat products but the pre-worn waxed chains are a little bit much for me and I think CeramicSpeed or one of those others also does it. I get the marginal gains crap it is boring but helps people win but for the average person I think just buy a normal chain and wax yourself or ask your shop to do it and leave the ultra fancy stuff for the sponsored pros.
Old 04-07-24, 12:16 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 826 Times in 416 Posts
If dinner for 1 at Taco Bell can cost $20, why can’t a bicycle chain cost $100?
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 04-07-24, 06:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18432 Post(s)
Liked 15,587 Times in 7,341 Posts
You can order almost the entire menu at Taco Bell for $20. Of course, you’ll need money for Pepto afterwards. 🤮
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-07-24, 07:36 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
"You can order almost the entire menu at Taco Bell for $20. Of course, you’ll need money for Pepto afterwards."
Hence the nickname "Taco Hell".
Old 04-07-24, 07:39 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
"You can order almost the entire menu at Taco Bell for $20. Of course, you’ll need money for Pepto afterwards."
Hence the nickname "Taco Hell".
“Make a run for the bathroom.” should have been its slogan.
Old 04-07-24, 07:43 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 412 Posts
My daughter's shop in Portland charged her $50 for a CN-HG901 and if they cleaned and wax at their hourly rate the Silca would be cost effective.
Old 04-07-24, 11:33 AM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Possibly not a $100 chain, but a $10 chain and $90 wax, like in Jaws.
Old 04-07-24, 11:38 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
So let’s say you get one of those pre-waxed chains, how long does it last before you need to use more lube? Is it similar to the chains lubed at the factory on a new bike?

when it does wear out, can you just put oil on it like a normal chain, or does the residual wax mess this up?
Old 04-07-24, 11:44 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Pratt
Possibly not a $100 chain, but a $10 chain and $90 wax, like in Jaws.
“Here’s to swimmin’ with bow-legged women.”
Old 04-07-24, 11:53 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,933 Times in 2,558 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Silca does an excellent job of separating people from money.
Money and people are a bad mix. Silca is doing the world a favor.
Old 04-07-24, 12:23 PM
Rick_D

Bikes: Litespeed Firenze, Spot Acme, Specialzed S Works Pro Race, Davidson Stiletto, Colnago Superissimo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Even though I work in a bike shop I still get surprised!
A few days a guy buys 2 11 speed chains for a bike we are servicing. He wants to take them home and wax them and then return them for use to finish the service. So yesterday he comes in to return the chains as he bought a Silca prewaxed chain @ $100!
I wax all my chains at home but apparently the Silca chain "special" wax.
Wow $100 chain.
Just eight bucks over this.
https://www.sram.com/en/sram/models/cn-eagl-xx1-a2
Suppose it begins with "what chain?" since I'd be happy to kick in $8 and skip the degreasing, de-watering, heat and dunk process for that.

Still, "I can remember a day" when $8 bought a nice name-brand fresh chain.
Old 04-08-24, 06:45 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10176 Post(s)
Liked 5,873 Times in 3,161 Posts
I wouldn't pay a lot more for it, but it would be nice if someone sold chains not coated with "Cosmoline" for those of us who use PTFE or other oleophobic lubricants.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-08-24, 08:34 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I wouldn't pay a lot more for it, but it would be nice if someone sold chains not coated with "Cosmoline" for those of us who use PTFE or other oleophobic lubricants.
Um...what "oleophobic lubricants" are you trying to use? Polytetrafluoroethylene is phobic to everything. Something that is oleophobic or hydrophobic doesn't mix with oils or water, respectively. PTFE mixes with neither. You can suspend it for a bit in either oils or water but not for long. In bicycle lubrication applications, the PTFE is mixed with an oil or similar carrier (wax is a similar carrier) and there is nothing in the factory coating that is incompatible with either oil or wax.

The "Cosmoline" on the chain is a wax. It's a soft wax but a wax nevertheless. It is not incompatible with oil or the hard wax that is currently in vogue. It doesn't really need to be cleaned off the way that people seem to think it needs to be. It's certainly not "Cosmoline" which was a mixture of wax and oil. Even that mixture were still being used is not incompatible with any bicycle chain lubricant.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-08-24, 09:55 AM
NumbersGuy

Bikes: Fairlight Strael 3.0 Ultegra Di2, Lauf Seigla Rigid SRAM Red XPLR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Um...what "oleophobic lubricants" are you trying to use? Polytetrafluoroethylene is phobic to everything. Something that is oleophobic or hydrophobic doesn't mix with oils or water, respectively. PTFE mixes with neither. You can suspend it for a bit in either oils or water but not for long. In bicycle lubrication applications, the PTFE is mixed with an oil or similar carrier (wax is a similar carrier) and there is nothing in the factory coating that is incompatible with either oil or wax.

The "Cosmoline" on the chain is a wax. It's a soft wax but a wax nevertheless. It is not incompatible with oil or the hard wax that is currently in vogue. It doesn't really need to be cleaned off the way that people seem to think it needs to be. It's certainly not "Cosmoline" which was a mixture of wax and oil. Even that mixture were still being used is not incompatible with any bicycle chain lubricant.
You seem technically knowledgeable so I'll take your word for it that there's nothing in their chemical makeup that prevents using hot wax without first stripping off whatever is on from the factory (you call it a soft wax, others call it a grease or oil). But there's more to it than just chemical compatibility.

The reason it's recommended to strip off the factory lube is that it collects all the dirt, dust, and road grime that creates the nasty black mess that waxing mostly eliminates. Now that I use wax, my cassette and jockey wheels stay clean and a simply microfiber wipe down of the chain cleans off the tiny bit of dirt/dust on the surface. I can touch these parts after a couple hundred miles without any gritty black mess on my hands. While mixing wax with factory lube might perform just fine from a lubrication standpoint, I would think the resulting mix would end up retaining some of the undesirable properties which cause factory chains to quickly develop that lovely black gritty mess that gets onto the rest of the drivetrain.