Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Advantage of Clipless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Advantage of Clipless

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 07:56 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
I know that ... but wouldn't language be silly if we named everything after it's predecessor and simply add "-less"?
Shall we name electric cars "petrolless"?
Shall we name tablet pc's "keyboardless"?
Those words sound utterly silly to me ... and I get the same reaction every time I hear the word "clipless".
I call my mountain bike my "roadless" bike
Old 02-01-13, 07:58 AM
Sidney Porter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 2 Posts
I think someone briefly touched upon it... "it's gotta be the shoes" most people switch from sneakers (running shoes, tennis shoes etc) to clipless. The stiff sole aids in the poower tranfer. Also when people compare to toe straps it is usually loose fitting straps, not snug straps with cycling shoes. Don't some velodrome riders still use straps because they can be tighter than clipless?

FWIW I use clipless on both road bikes and mtb. I have never crashed on a road bike because of the clipless I have crashed on the mtb where I beleived I would not if I was on platforms.
Old 02-01-13, 08:02 AM
mihlbach

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Lew.
I can't figure out why people ride flats at all, except guys who ride a BMX.
BMX racers use clipless.
Naturally freestylers don't because they take their feet off for tricks.
Old 02-01-13, 08:42 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
once you've gone clipless, you'll never go back.

Well, I did and I can see why clipless is infinately better. Of all the upgrades since I began cycling, this was the one that made the biggest impact. Second was cycling shorts.
This is really all that needs to be said. You do not need any data, power meters etc. I could not imagine owning a bike without clipless pedals...
Old 02-01-13, 09:26 AM
mihlbach

Originally Posted by joe_5700
This is really all that needs to be said. You do not need any data, power meters etc. I could not imagine owning a bike without clipless pedals...
Thats becaue you are a one-dimensional cyclist
Old 02-01-13, 09:31 AM
dobrado

Bikes: Trek 2.1

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Because it's Pro.

I'm not even joking...I'd get white shoes too, but dollars are tied up in being matchy-matchy
Old 02-01-13, 10:15 AM
hamster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
No one uses the 'correct' technique or anything close to it. Even when pedaling circles, riders still get the majority of their power when the pedal is around 3 o'clock.

Clipless is not more efficient, but it is more comfortable and allows you to apply more power when sprinting. I also pull up when climbing a steep hill standing up.
There's no contradiction between getting the majority of power at 3 o'clock and avoiding wasting power on stretching the crank at 4 to 6.

Do you know of any studies showing that a beginner mashing pedals in an up-down style is not less efficient than an experienced cyclist pedaling circles (or, more generally, using a cleat-influenced technique)?
Old 02-01-13, 10:16 AM
joe_5700
CAT4

Bikes: 2009 Cervélo S1, 2009 Felt F75, 2010 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5, 2011 Cannondale CAADx, 2011 Specialized Transition Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach
Thats becaue you are a one-dimensional cyclist
Nah. More like 2 dimensional. I ride road AND cross.
Old 02-01-13, 10:20 AM
mihlbach

Nah. More like 2 dimensional. I ride road AND cross.
I'm more like a 10 dimensional cyclist....which is why I suck at all of it and also have no money.
Old 02-01-13, 12:28 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by hamster
Do you know of any studies showing that a beginner mashing pedals in an up-down style is not less efficient than an experienced cyclist pedaling circles (or, more generally, using a cleat-influenced technique)?
One study indicates that "pedaling in circles" doesn't change mechanical effectiveness or gross efficiency, and that intentionally pulling up actually reduces gross efficiency.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17545890
Old 02-01-13, 01:39 PM
joe_5700
CAT4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bacciagalupe
One study indicates that "pedaling in circles" doesn't change mechanical effectiveness or gross efficiency, and that intentionally pulling up actually reduces gross efficiency.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17545890
I think a lot of the efficiency comes from the footwear itself. There is much more energy lost when mashing your Nike's on platforms compared to a nice carbon sole road shoe...
Old 02-01-13, 02:25 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
All you gotta say:

Riding clipless feels good and gives me a secure feeling that leads to the confidence to ride the snot out of my bike instead of *****footing around corners and down hills.

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 02-01-13, 03:06 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
I must confess, I'm one of the "zomg clipless overrated" types. And yes, I use clipless.

Long story short: Clipless feels good and it keeps you connected to the pedal. A handful of monsters (like pro sprinters) would likely find it much harder to pedal at high cadences, with massive power, if their foot was not attached to the pedal. And if you're going to attach your foot to the pedal, clipless is much better than the old-school clips.

However, you aren't actually applying power to the drivetrain, and clipless won't fix poor pedaling technique. No one, even pro track cyclists, don't apply power to the drivetrain on the upstroke. All you're doing is lifting your leg (which is about 10% of your body weight, btw), without losing contact. And yes, this has been proven using pedal-based power meters.

The reason why people are so fanatically *cough* attached to the idea of clamping their foot to the pedal is because, on the basis of no real evidence, people assumed about 100 years ago that "of course you pull up and double your power." Once in circulation, these kinds of errors are notoriously difficult to eliminate. Thus, people who want to be Serious About Cycling hear from their buddy "clipless is more efficient, you can climb better" and all that other nonsense, believe it, and buy a pair.

Fortunately, clipless still feels good and is IMO mostly harmless. If your buddy doesn't like them, he doesn't need them. If you like them, feel free to use them.
What he said.

I always think its funny how every few years someone does a study and it proves that nobody pulls up on the back strok and its actually more effecient NOT to pedal in circles, yet its still repeated over and over.

That being said, I ride clipless on my touring bike because I like not having to think about where my feet are on the pedal. I like my Specialized shoes. And, there have been times during a miss shift that my foot would fly off if I had been on flats.

Last edited by brianmcg123; 02-01-13 at 03:10 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 03:24 PM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I think a lot of the efficiency comes from the footwear itself. There is much more energy lost when mashing your Nike's on platforms compared to a nice carbon sole road shoe...
Yeah, I can't think of a single mechanical reason why a stiffer sole would improve performance. Sounds more like the typical "zomg roadie thing faster don't bother me with the facts" deal.

My guess is that the real beneficiary of a stiff sole is your foot, not the drivetrain.
Old 02-01-13, 03:37 PM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I can't think of a single mechanical reason why a stiffer sole would improve performance. Sounds more like the typical "zomg roadie thing faster don't bother me with the facts" deal.

My guess is that the real beneficiary of a stiff sole is your foot, not the drivetrain.
I can definitely tell the difference between my SPD's and my five ten shoes on my mountain bike.
When punching someone with a boxing glove, you use approx. same amount of energy/force as w/o. Seems like that would kind of be the same example, except it's an exaggerated comparison.
Old 02-01-13, 03:39 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts

If your feet are comfortable, then you will be able to turn the pedals faster and harder for longer. That's improved performance.
Old 02-01-13, 03:39 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
BMX racers use clipless.
Naturally freestylers don't because they take their feet off for tricks.
I went to Shimano SPDs from LOOKs around 1990 when they were first released, and I tried to get my nephews to try them on their BMX race bikes but they absolutely refused to even try them. A few years later they both asked me to get them a set though because Brian Lopes and Mike King were using them, and shortly thereafter most of their friend were pestering their fathers for a set too. Very shortly after that most of the fathers who were still riding platforms began showing up with clipless pedals on their mountain bikes too. These days clipless is the standard in BMX and it is rare to see platform pedals among the faster riders.

You should have seen the looks I got the first time I showed up with clipless pedals on my trials bike back in the '90s though. I realize that most pro-trials riders still don't use them, as with all freestylers and many Pro-DHers, but I have clipless on all my bikes because I don't ride trials, freestyle, or DH anymore except for fun, and clipless is what I prefer. To each his own I guess.

Last edited by Stealthammer; 02-02-13 at 04:37 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 04:03 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
If your feet are comfortable, then you will be able to turn the pedals faster and harder for longer. That's improved performance.
Yes, but that's different from the common claim that power is lost to flex in the sole of the shoe. Which is almost certainly untrue - it takes so little power to flex a rubber shoe sole, and pretty much all the power is ending up on the pedal anyway.

As for more comfort improving performance - who knows if it does? In obvious cases, it clearly does, but in other just as obvious cases it does not: it's more comfortable to roll down to the street to the store on my girlfriend's city bike than my race bike, but the increased comfort definitely doesn't bring any added speed! This argument about "comfort = speed" is made so much lately that it's worth examining. My main objection is the need to justify improvements in comfort by just believing that they improve speed. For one thing, it ain't necessarily so, and it's just as silly to think that they do as it is to think clipless pedals improve "efficiency." And for another thing, my main objection is, why isn't just being more comfortable a worthy enough improvement on its own? It may not be any faster to have a stiff sole on your shoe, even if it is more comfortable, but I think more comfortable is a good enough advantage on its own.
Old 02-01-13, 04:09 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I know when I'm on campus I'm always struck by the sound of the kids riding and their bikes going bzzt bzzt bzzt with each pedal push instead of the more constant hum of those who use clipless.
Old 02-01-13, 04:25 PM
save10
Arrogant Roadie Punk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I swear this exact same thread already existed with a mountain biker friend claiming that clipless pedals....yada yada
Old 02-01-13, 04:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Yes, but that's different from the common claim that power is lost to flex in the sole of the shoe. Which is almost certainly untrue - it takes so little power to flex a rubber shoe sole, and pretty much all the power is ending up on the pedal anyway.

As for more comfort improving performance - who knows if it does? In obvious cases, it clearly does, but in other just as obvious cases it does not: it's more comfortable to roll down to the street to the store on my girlfriend's city bike than my race bike, but the increased comfort definitely doesn't bring any added speed! This argument about "comfort = speed" is made so much lately that it's worth examining. My main objection is the need to justify improvements in comfort by just believing that they improve speed. For one thing, it ain't necessarily so, and it's just as silly to think that they do as it is to think clipless pedals improve "efficiency." And for another thing, my main objection is, why isn't just being more comfortable a worthy enough improvement on its own? It may not be any faster to have a stiff sole on your shoe, even if it is more comfortable, but I think more comfortable is a good enough advantage on its own.
Maybe I am guilty of thinking of this from a racing perspective. If at the end of a 3 hour road race, my feet hurt such that I can't stand on the pedals and sprint, I consider that an impact on performance.

I realize that not everyone races and that this may not be an issue for them, but it is for some.
Old 02-01-13, 04:56 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by save10
I swear this exact same thread already existed with a mountain biker friend claiming that clipless pedals....yada yada
Yep...
Old 02-01-13, 05:28 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 944 Posts
Originally Posted by drjay9051
I ride clipless on the road, always have. I was speaking to a buddy who does mountain biking. He rides flats. I inquired as to why he does not get clipless pedals and cleats.
Mountain biking != road biking.

There's no reason that the benefits of clipless have to have the same value.
Old 02-01-13, 05:32 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4260 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 944 Posts
However, you aren't actually applying power to the drivetrain, and clipless won't fix poor pedaling technique. No one, even pro track cyclists, don't apply power to the drivetrain on the upstroke. All you're doing is lifting your leg (which is about 10% of your body weight, btw), without losing contact. And yes, this has been proven using pedal-based power meters.
If you do this for normal riding, the benefit of having the pushing leg not having to move that weight is very significant!
Old 02-02-13, 04:34 AM
Duke of Kent

Bikes: Yeti ASRc, Focus Raven 29er, Flyxii FR316

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Offroad riding environments are far more variable than the road, and there are many situations where flats are more appropriate. As a rule of thumb, if the trail requires little technical skill, then go clipless. If the trail is so technical that successfully navigating obstacles, jumping, and bombing downhill are more of a concern than your average speed, flats are the way to go.

To put it another way, cycling involves a continuum of technical skill, from "just riding along" to extreme MTBing/BMXing. Flats are most appropriate at the at the two extremes. For all all the stuff in between, clipless is more appropriate. YMMV.
Sorry bro, but most pro DH racers use clipless, too.

-Your friendly Pro XC/Cat 1 everything else racer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.