Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Old fud reason why Di2 is wrong

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old fud reason why Di2 is wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-09, 09:15 AM
Bacciagalupe
Professional Fuss-Budget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
It's unlikely that electronic shifting will become ubiquitous any time soon. More roadies will use it as it becomes cheaper, but I expect it will always be more expensive than mechanical-only options.

Plus, it doesn't really sound like it's any more difficult to work with -- or any less mechanical, really. You just have a couple of wires instead of tensioned cables. It's not like you will need to reprogram the shifter's firmware or something.
Old 06-27-09, 09:45 AM
nitropowered

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm sure all of the Di2 stuff is made with the latest surface mount technologies, 4 layer boards, proprietary chips that even if we had the skills to replace parts on the boards, we won't have the firmware or access to proprietary chips to flash/replace them. I've got skills to replace surface mount parts but its really not worth the effort to do so.

I'm sure some hacker will be able to reverse engineer the Di2 parts but why bother. Unless you want it to shift on Campy 11 speed. Which I don't think it would be too hard to do if you were able to reflash the chips.
Old 06-27-09, 10:05 AM
YungBurke
Waiting for his CX

Bikes: Jamis Satellite, Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO, Fuji Team singlespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by neuronal
Learning how to use a wrench is easy.
Learning how to use a soldering iron is harder.
Point is, debugging a circuit takes far more intuition and skill than a simple mechanical system. And it's far more useful.

Get with the times.
As if Di2 could be opened and debugged without breaking the damn thing. Ever try opening a brifter? Dont you know that the consumer culture dictates that you must throw away and buy anew when something breaks?
Get with the times
Old 06-27-09, 12:03 PM
bassplayinbiker

Bikes: Diamondback centurion. Home built tandem

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VA_Esquire
The LBS owner near me has it on his Super Six and he doesnt like it. Reason?
"Its a bicycle...it should be mechanical."
Unless you are some tech geek he says, you wont like it.
with sound logic and reasoning like that, someone should elect him president.
Old 06-27-09, 12:07 PM
jesspal

Bikes: 2009 BMC SLX01/2016 Santa Cruz Bronson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I also saw a Super Six Hi-mod 1 in a LBS, it looked awesome.
Old 06-27-09, 02:02 PM
neuronal

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YungBurke
As if Di2 could be opened and debugged without breaking the damn thing. Ever try opening a brifter? Dont you know that the consumer culture dictates that you must throw away and buy anew when something breaks?
Get with the times
From my experience, but the vast majority of consumer electronic failures can be fixed quite easily since the problem is usually either a broken wire or something trivial of that nature. The only challenging part is finding where the circuit is broken.

Sure, I probably can't fix my CPU if it screws up, but I really doubt that the CPU inside a Di2 is gonna break faster than a soldered joint. And I can fix soldered joints easily.

Fixing brifters is more complicated than fixing most circuits anyways. You can't just "resolder" a connection as easily.