Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Longest time you commute on exactly the same route?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-13, 10:07 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Are you bored?
Old 09-24-13, 01:07 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I don't ever recall boredom while commuting because I had been riding the route for too many days. Each ride is new every day. The familiarity lets me know a place better.

That said, I don't think I've ever had the same commuting route much longer than about 4 years. And I think the longest was in elementary school, grades 2-5. And it seems like the trip is always varied by errands I may want to run, events I have to go to, etc.

The only time I do recall boredom was when the length of the ride was too long, 17 miles each way. It ate into other areas of my life and made me dissatisfied.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 09-24-13, 06:19 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When the weather gets a little chilly, I tend to abandon the more scenic routes I have laid out for my commute, and take the short, straight one. This year, though, it's been more or less a default route, don't know why. There WAS a time when I would HATE to take the same route more than 3 days in a row, but that seems to have faded.....
Old 09-24-13, 06:28 AM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I have ridden the shortest route to work, every day, for 3 years. I enjoy it nearly every day.
Old 09-24-13, 06:32 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I rode the same route to work for 8 years. Not bored. Beats driving.
I'm changing it up a bit now because I bought a road bike and it doesn't deal with the 4 miles of washboarded gravel road. Also in the summer I sometimes ride a longer route, but it's not because I'm bored, it's because I want to ride for longer.

As soon as my new bike comes in, I'll probably be back on the old route.
Old 09-24-13, 06:50 AM
jrickards

Bikes: 2012 Kona Sutra, 2002 Look AL 384, 2018 Moose Fat bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I generally take the same route in every day and a different route home (but the same each day). I've had to change both routes because of construction in 2 sections but my new routes (again, to work and to home are slightly different) have been consistent. If I'm training for a longer ride, such as a metric century, I'll occasionally take a different route home, up to 75km, but not from boredom or any other reason than for training purposes, additional training distance in addition to weekend rides. Not from boredom but because of need, I'll sometimes take the short route to work or to home but I'd rather take the longer routes.
Old 09-24-13, 07:03 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
When I get bored riding the same route, I ride different bikes for variety. I have 5 different bikes that I use for commuting on occasion. My main commuter has fenders, so I generally ride it if there is any chance of rain. However, if the weather is clear, I usually ride my other bikes. I ride my touring bike when I have a lot of gear to carry or want to ride slow. Other days I ride my cross bike or one of my other road bikes. I also vary my route on occasion.
Old 09-24-13, 07:19 AM
ModeratedUser02102018

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used to bike to work when I lived in Seattle. It was only 5 miles, but almost entirely on the bike trail, and partially along the Puget Sound to downtown Seattle. The view was beautiful and a great start to the day. One morning I saw a yellow submarine in the sound. But, just checking out the other bikers on the route makes things a bit interesting. There's the possiblity of a downpour on the way home. Nothing like a good soaking rain to work on speed. BTW, I'm about the slowest commuter ever. It usually took 25 minutes to ride that 5 miles. But on the first day, it took an hour.
Old 09-24-13, 07:25 AM
spivonious

Bikes: 2012 Trek Allant, 2016 Bianchi Volpe Disc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might mix up the route to avoid a headwind, or avoid a hill if my legs are tired, but never from boredom. Too many things to keep me interested, like speeding cars, nice scenery, the occasional pedestrian or cyclist. I've been riding my current route since December.
Old 09-24-13, 07:40 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
As a multimodal commuter (car-bike) I can choose different starting points, which depends on weather, traffic, time, conditions of towpath, energy level and simply which route I feel like riding. I can easily choose a route from 12 miles to 25 miles one way, nearly all offroad and flat. Consider my commuting options pretty ideal, although it would be nice to not have to drive part way. As it is, my route varies not only every day, but even between morning and evening rides.
Old 09-24-13, 08:50 AM
Surrealdeal
a.k.a., Point Five Dude

Bikes: 1987 Trek Elance 400 T

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My route isn't anywhere near as boring as my job.
Old 09-24-13, 09:00 AM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
I change mine up depending on how much time I have and for the boredom factor. I like to mix it up. Riding the bike isn't 100% of why I actually ride. I am out there for exercise, thinking, listening to some tunes (when in the right spots) and the scenery. For some people just being on the bike is enough.
Old 09-24-13, 09:32 AM
droy45
tougher than a boiled owl

Bikes: Fetish Cycles Fixation / Fuji S12S / Gary Fisher MTB / Raleigh Grand Prix / Ross Professional / Kent comfort cruiser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have had to change my route lately because of a new job but I was not bored with my old route. It was an easy one and now I have a longer and much more complex route dealing with inter city traffic etc. I have modified my new route a lot lately to make it more comfortable with less traffic and intersections and try to use the best smoothest streets. I haven't got bored yet.
Old 09-24-13, 09:44 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
Sadly, given the layout of suburban arteries around here, I don't have much of an option; if I don't want to ride my direct 5.6mi commute, I need to probably double the distance. I've been bike-commuting since the beginning of 2013, and I can think of three times that I've ridden a different route, and they were all because I had some extra time and wanted to do some recreational riding; so in that sense I wouldn't even call it "the commute".
Old 09-24-13, 05:05 PM
WestMass

Bikes: 2020 Kona Rove ST, 2020 Kona Woo, 2013 Cannondale Caad 10 Rival, 2020 All-City Super Professional, 2023 Kona Honzo, 1991 Bridgestone CB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Surrealdeal
My route isn't anywhere near as boring as my job.
LoL

Also, while I do have a lot of options - time is pretty critical for me in the morning. My ride isn't long (7 miles) but when I'm riding in at 5:30am and have to make photocopies and shower and get my classroom ready, I can't really dilly-dally. On the way home I try to rush so I can let my dog out so he doesn't pee in his crate!
Old 09-24-13, 05:38 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I commuted to the same site for 20 years and gradually settled in on just one or two variations in my route.

Last year I moved to a new office site and experimented a bit until I settled on a route that incorporated 75% of my previous route. However in mid summer this year I suddenly was inspired to challenge myself to vary my route until I rode on every through street in the rectangle (2 miles by 8 miles) defined by my house at the northeast corner and my office at the south west.

Of course I've now done most of the long north-south streets but I probably won't finish covering the dozens of east-west cross streets and some of the meandering curved streets until sometime next year.

I have tried to do it all legally, and so even some of the north-south streets are challenging due to having reversing one-way sections, where I have to do part on a morning commute and a different part during an evening commute.

So right now it's a different route every day.
Old 09-24-13, 05:43 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
I think it was about 45 minutes, but there were a lot of lights that morning
Old 09-24-13, 05:44 PM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by WestMass
On the way home I try to rush so I can let my dog out so he doesn't pee in his crate!
Be careful and don't get involved in an accident because of concern over such a small inconvenience!
Old 09-24-13, 06:09 PM
lwb

Bikes: Speacialized Sequoia, Surley CrossCheck

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
8 years for me, same 39 mi RT. No real options that don't considerably increase the (already excessive) daily time commitment. Has become a bit boring, but - as said earlier - still beats the car.
Old 09-25-13, 09:37 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
When I first moved to my new office and realized the most direct, flattest route still included 75% of my old route to my previous office, I was kind of disappointed but after a while I stopped noticing.
Old 09-25-13, 12:14 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I actually prefer taking the same route every day, since I know where every single pothole is and how each stoplight works. Sometimes I have to detour due to construction or a stopped freight train blocking a crossing, so I have a couple of alternates, but I like my regular route best.
Old 09-25-13, 12:25 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I've ridden the same 5.7 or so miles between my house and the train station, with a few minor variations, every day for 12+ years. The variations depend on the weather; I can add a little bit of off-road (canal towpath) if I really want to, and I can eliminate it entirely if it's covered with snow. Boring? I suppose it is... I haven't noticed. I'm always looking for wildlife, watching traffic, etc.
Old 09-25-13, 04:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7349 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,437 Posts
I read the question completely differently. I read it as "what job have you held the longest where you commuted by bike?"

And the "bored" question looks to me like "I'm bored at the moment, so this was the best question I could come up with."

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-25-13, 05:05 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get bored sometimes, but whenever I try to mix it up and take a different path, I end up running into bigger hills, lots of potholes, or more traffic. Can't win..
Old 09-25-13, 06:02 PM
Matariki
Not quite there yet

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes + an ICE trike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride the same route but it changes with the seasons. In the fall, I have to adjust my timing to sync with the new school bus schedules + I have to adjust to riding in the dark again. It's always a treat to see the bright, shiny faces at the school bus stop - those electronic devices sure put off some light. Early warning at the high school stops changes from year to year too. This new school year signals a move away from the citrus scents to a more floral odor palette.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.